Vikings vs Packers (again) for Jennings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

TeamChaplain
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Vikings vs Packers (again) for Jennings

Post by TeamChaplain »

I am a Ponder fan. However he still has alot to learn and I believe Cassel is a better QB at this point.
From the Fjords of ValHalla
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

TeamChaplain wrote:I am a Ponder fan. However he still has alot to learn and I believe Cassel is a better QB at this point.
Cassel: In 47 starts for the Chiefs, he went 19-28 while turning the ball over 57 times.

Really? :?:
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
w_huisman
Transition Player

Post by w_huisman »

TeamChaplain wrote:I am a Ponder fan. However he still has alot to learn and I believe Cassel is a better QB at this point.
You are allowed to express your opinion, just like everyone else on this board.

My opinion is that YOU ARE FLAT OUT WRONG. :smilevike:
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

GBFavreFan wrote: How so?
Packers have more ammo.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
TeamChaplain
All Pro Elite Player

Post by TeamChaplain »

nah Cassel's overall rating is 3 higher over Ponder. And when you factor in his experience...

Ponder's Overall Rating: 77.1
Cassel's Overall Rating: 80.4
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

GBFavreFan wrote: How so?
Pack was trying to get Jackson and needed money for it. Now that he's gone they have more money to throw at Jennings, should they chose to.

It will be interesting to see what Jennings gets paid.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

TeamChaplain wrote:Signing Cassel first was a nice move. Saying he'll have a chance to start is even better.
Not really... he's pretty much established his level as an NFL QB and I doubt there's much unrevealed upside there. Ponder can still get much better. It's unlikely that Cassel will.

I doubt Cassel will get a chance to start unless Ponder falters or gets hurt. The Vikings have made it pretty clear that Ponder is their starting QB. However, I think Cassel represents an upgrade over Webb as a backup and that's good news. :)

Jim
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Greg Jennings is on the way here now. Formal meeting tomorrow. Nothing gets done tonight, per sources. Not sure if anything will. #Vikings
#Vikings are still gauging what Jennings wants and I'm sure Jennings' people are gauging what he can get. We'll see what happens.
Tom Pelissero on Twitter
Packers free-agent WR Greg Jennings dining tonight in Minnesota with Vikings officials.
Adam Schefter on Twitter
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

dead_poet wrote: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
Adam Schefter on Twitter

so, nothing til tomorrow?

ok. back to life....
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote:I doubt Cassel will get a chance to start unless Ponder falters or gets hurt. The Vikings have made it pretty clear that Ponder is their starting QB. However, I think Cassel represents an upgrade over Webb as a backup and that's good news. :)
Agreed. I think Webb's poor performance as the backup in the playoffs is probably the largest motivating factor for signing a veteran like Cassel, much more so than anything Ponder did or didn't do. Cassel isn't a world-beater but he's an experienced backup that adds better insurance to what was a way too thin QB roster last year.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Mothman wrote:I doubt Cassel will get a chance to start unless Ponder falters or gets hurt.
And at the moment the former has a fairly high percentage of probability. I guarantee that Cassel took this into account in signing with the Vikings.
TeamChaplain
All Pro Elite Player

Post by TeamChaplain »

Eli wrote: And at the moment the former has a fairly high percentage of probability. I guarantee that Cassel took this into account in signing with the Vikings.
I think nfl.com and espn are reporting that he signed with the vikes cause his chances of beating out Ponder were better than his chances of beating out Josh Freeman in Tampa.
ViciousBritishVike
Starter

Post by ViciousBritishVike »

PurpleMustReign wrote:You know that Metrodome blade of grass that I hang out with?
Well he has been sleeping with Jenning's mom. He says that she said that Jennings would love to play here because of AD. He also said that she makes the best grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup.
Make that damn cheese pay, Jennings will soon forget the Packers, mwahaha!
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

Just in case no one here reads ESPN

...................... :point:

It's so on: Greg Jennings visiting Vikings

Will the Green Bay-to-Minnesota pipeline produce another hit for the Minnesota Vikings? That's the question we're asking Thursday morning amid the news that receiver Greg Jennings is taking his first free-agent visit to the Packers' NFC North rival.

The Vikings have a long recent history of acquiring players the Packers either no longer want or hadn't yet re-signed, a list that includes quarterback Brett Favre, kicker Ryan Longwell, safety Darren Sharper and receiver Robert Ferguson. Over the years, the Vikings also made free-agent pitches to defensive end Aaron Kampman, fullback William Henderson and receiver James Jones, in each case jump-starting their eventual agreements with the Packers. (In 2010, the Vikings brought in receiver Javon Walker to training camp for a comeback attempt but released him before the season began.)

While that history will surely inflame passions on this blog and between fan bases, Jennings' case is a relatively unique one. He is in the prime of his career, and according to multiple reports, the Packers have genuine interest in bringing him back. It seems the Packers have bet -- accurately, so far -- that he wouldn't fetch one of the few premium contracts available to receivers in this market and have been waiting for the dust to settle.

The Miami Dolphins gave Mike Wallace a five-year deal worth $60 million, and former Vikings receiver Percy Harvin got $67 million over six years from the Seattle Seahawks. After that, however, the receiver floor has dropped. Wednesday, the annual average salary receivers were fetching fell almost by half, to about $6 million. Wes Welker got a two-year deal worth $12 million from the Denver Broncos, and the Patriots replaced him by signing Danny Amendola to a five-year deal worth $31 million.

That makes for a fascinating dynamic from multiple angles, a discussion we started earlier in the week.

We all know how barren the Vikings' receiving corps is after the Harvin trade, and they could give Jennings an unquestioned role as their No. 1 receiver in a midrange passing scheme that caters to his strengths. By agreeing to this visit, Jennings must have an inkling that the Vikings will make him a competitive contract offer -- and by "competitive," I mean more money than what the Packers have offered. If nothing else, Jennings could use a division rival to put pressure on the Packers to raise their offer.

Former Vikings receiver Cris Carter was certainly on board Thursday morning, tweeting:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... ng-vikings
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

TeamChaplain wrote: I think nfl.com and espn are reporting that he signed with the vikes cause his chances of beating out Ponder were better than his chances of beating out Josh Freeman in Tampa.
I don't doubt that Cassel will be given little chance to win the starting job during camp, but some time during the season, maybe. More significantly, this season will be Ponder's last chance to prove that he's worth anything, so Cassel could be the starter by 2014.