2015 Season General Comments (pressers, practice notes, etc)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: 2015 Season General Comments (pressers, practice notes,

Post by Mothman »

We may have our first Mike Zimmer scandal!

Mike Zimmer might hear from NFL, apparently chewing tobacco on sideline

I saw him take that dip during the broadcast. Did anybody else see it?

This is going to be bigger than the boat.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Mothman wrote:We may have our first Mike Zimmer scandal!

:rofl: I saw it.

Let's see... The 'Love Boat' will be long forgotten in the "wake" of 'Chew-gate'
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote:We may have our first Mike Zimmer scandal!

Excuse me while I spit a the NFL's hypocrisy at this. From the article, here's the rule:
"NFL players, coaches, and other employees must not that endorse or appear in advertisements for alcoholic beverages (including beer) or tobacco products.

"While fully recognizing that the use of alcohol and tobacco is legal, the NFL nevertheless has long been of the view that participation in ads for such substances by its employees may have a detrimental effect on the great number of young fans who follow our game. In particular, endorsements or other close identification of NFL players with alcohol or tobacco could convey the erroneous impression that the use of such products is conducive to the development of athletic prowess, has contributed to their success, or at least has not hindered them in their performance.

"For the above reasons, players and other club and League employees (including game officials) must not use alcohol or tobacco products while in the playing field area or while being interviewed on television.

"Further, NFL policy prohibits the use or presence of alcoholic beverages, including beer, in club locker rooms at any time during the preseason, regular season, or postseason, including during the practice week and on game day."

The bolded part is the part that really makes me laugh. "Tobacco could have a detrimental effect on a great number of young fans." Explain to me, then, how the NFL can justify employing guys like Greg "toss my girlfriend down on a bed of guns" Hardy.

On a lighter note, maybe no chew will make Zimmer even more peeved off and dial up even more blitzes against opposing quarterbacks. Sacks will become his calming dip as Vikings defenders chew up and spit out opposing quarterbacks each week. I'd be OK with that.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

dead_poet wrote: Excuse me while I spit a the NFL's hypocrisy at this. From the article, here's the rule:

The bolded part is the part that really makes me laugh. "Tobacco could have a detrimental effect on a great number of young fans." Explain to me, then, how the NFL can justify employing guys like Greg "toss my girlfriend down on a bed of guns" Hardy.

On a lighter note, maybe no chew will make Zimmer even more peeved off and dial up even more blitzes against opposing quarterbacks. Sacks will become his calming dip as Vikings defenders chew up and spit out opposing quarterbacks each week. I'd be OK with that.
Right, the NFL can allow and even celebrate terrible sportsmanship or horrible character, but tobacco simply crosses the line.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@Andrew_Krammer Zimmer, asked about NT Linval Joseph: "I don't want to get too gushy....but he's good. I've had a lot of good nose tackles, he may be best"
@christomasson Mike Zimmer said he takes it personally when naysayers say they won't win
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@murphPPress Mike Zimmer taking pride in Us vs Them attitude after winning first NFC North road game. #Vikings next head to Soldier Field, 0-7 since 2007
@murphPPress Zimmer: "I like proving people wrong. People have doubted me for a long, long time. I hope they keep doubting our football team." #Vikings
@murphPPress Who are doubters, Zim?: "I just think everybody. There were a lot of doubters after we lost to San Francisco, probably right?" #Vikings
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:
Careful, Mike. You're starting to sound like Lovie Smith!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

‏@christomasson #Vikings CB Josh Robinson on when could be activated. “
“I have no feel but I’ll know soon enough’’ Team may need Jabari Price replacement
@murphPPress Zimmer on LB Brandon Watts: "We needed help at LB. He's done a good job on the show teams and special teams. We have a lot of hope for him."
Well why did you trade away one of your better ones then?!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@Andrew_Krammer Zimmer said he planned on playing CB Trae Waynes in Detroit before bad start. "We want to play him, it's just how much depends on the game."
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Norv essentially telling me to "cool it" with the Rudolph concern/criticism. Clemmings' weakness affecting a lot of things.
@SamEkstrom Norv says Rudolph's numbers may be lower because he's "making sure we're solid there at the right tackle."

Extra blocking duties.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

I thought this was an interesting question/answer from yesterday's presser (Norv)
Q: As coaches do you notice the guys who stay after practice and does that impact their playing time?

A: Well, I think they’re trying to have it effect playing time. Our deal is obviously based on performance. If those things help them perform better, that’s why they’re doing it.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Some Walsh stuff from Priefer:
Q: How big was it for Blair Walsh to not have his missed extra point affect the rest of his day? He converted four field goals in a row after his missed PAT.

A: Yeah, he did a great job. He bounced back and he’s typically a guy since he’s been here that does a good job bouncing back and obviously we can’t have those misses, especially a PAT, especially indoors, but the way he kicked the rest of the game, kicking field goals and kicking off for us was a huge part of our victory.

Q: What is he doing different as opposed to the preseason and earlier in the regular season?

A: I think more of it’s confidence. He’s still hitting the ball pretty much the same. We tweaked a couple things here and there and we continue to work on stuff to help him become more consistent or be most consistent as a placekicker. But to him, it’s more of a confidence thing because he’s got all the ability in the world. I think he’s one of the top kickoff/field goal guys in our league, but when he’s a confident kicker, he’s a really good kicker and he showed that on Sunday.

Q: Did you see anything different from him after that bye week?

A: Yeah, I think he came back with maybe not a different focus, but maybe re-focused on the things that we’ve been talking about since he’s been here. And he’s worked really hard on it – his mental approach to the game – and that’s helped him a lot because as you mature, and physically I think he’s stronger than he’s ever been, and as he matures mentally, he’ll become a most consistent, more confident kicker.

Q: What do those 50-yard field goals do for his confidence?

A: I think any kicker, that’s huge. I know they were indoors, but that 53-yard kick he had was probably the best field goal he’s had since he’s been here. He drilled it right down the middle – snap was good, hold was good, the protection was outstanding. A lot of people don’t understand, it’s not just Blair [Walsh], it’s Kevin [McDermott], it’s Jeff [Locke], it’s our protection team, our offensive linemen, we’re got a defensive lineman in there, we’ve got a couple tight ends. Our guys have done a nice job all year there.

Q: Blair Walsh said during the bye week that he went down to Georgia and kicked by himself, is that something you knew he was going to do?

A: It was kind of spur of the moment, but he told me he was going to do it.
w_huisman
Transition Player

Post by w_huisman »

Maybe I'm mistaken, but it seems to me that Walsh is just fine when lining up on the right hash, but constantly pushes kicks when lined up on the left hash or anywhere inbetween.

I recall two kicks from the left last week, one miss and one barely squeeking inside the right post. Everything from the right hash was good to go.

My memory is getting fuzzier with age, but I know every time Walsh lines up on the left I have all of my fingers and toes crossed!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Hmmm...
@MikeClayNFL Not sure what Norv is comparing to, but Rudolph isn't blocking much more than usual. He's run 78% of MIN routes. 73%, 71% 78% last 3 years
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Zimmer's post-game press conference in Chicago: http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/vide ... cf87269ee8