Day 2 draft rounds 2,3

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Day 2 draft rounds 2,3

Post by VikingsVictorious »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:21 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:04 pm

Thanks for sharing. Game film like this where you see the good the bad and the ugly is so much more useful than highlights. I'm in the process of sorting through it right now, but I have already seen Trask throw an absolute perfect TD bomb and then overthrow a WIDE OPEN receiver for what would have been a TD.

After watching both from start to finish I have to say I'm underwhelmed by both of them. Trask was definitely a gunslinger, but not that accurate and could have easily had several more TOs if not for getting bailed out.
Mond while making some very nice throws also made many very poor ones. He ran for 19 yards on 8 attempts and threw a pick 6. Both look like Potential NFL backups neither looked like a potential NFL starter.
I think that is a little harsh on Mond. His offensive weapons and Oline were completely overmatched in that game and if you switched QBs and had Mac Jones playing for A & M and Mond for Alabama the score is likely even more lopsided.
I'm just telling you what I saw based on that one game. I'm hopeful that Mond can become a quality NFL starter, but based on that one game I didn't see it.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:49 am
VikingLord wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:39 pm

I suspect they had Mond ahead of Trask, mostly because they skipped Mills who I think is closer to Trask in terms of his play style and all 3 QBs were pretty much in that same tranch of 2nd day picks.
That's a really good point I didnt think about it that way. And if they were actually interested in Fields and the rumors are true, Mond's skill set is more similar to Fields

I will say, I find it funny that all along, we have an immobile QB and a bad OL. But NOW, our offensive line looks more promising than it ever has in 10+ years and we're all of the sudden shifting to the mobile style QB. Is it just me or is that as# backwards? Not that we should ignore the OL with a mobile QB but with Cousins we really NEED a solid offensive line. And by the looks of it, it's going to be solid right after Cousins leaves.
I think it is a false narrative to say that Cousins is immobile. He is about average mobility for NFL Starting QBs IMO.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

VikingTom wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:57 am
VikingLord wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:39 pm

I suspect they had Mond ahead of Trask, mostly because they skipped Mills who I think is closer to Trask in terms of his play style and all 3 QBs were pretty much in that same tranch of 2nd day picks.
I think teams are valuing more athletic QBs these days. There are few QBs who have success as statues in the pocket. Time will tell, but I think Mond can be a successful QB. Especially as he will have time to acclimate and learn.
I think that last part is the key.

It's easy to forget how young these QBs are when they are drafted. I think back to when I was that age and wonder how anyone could step into a situation where they're supposed to be the immediate savior for a bad team before even taking a single snap as a pro, and in most cases not having a real mentor at the position who can teach the nuances. I think that is why so many highly drafted QBs flame out so frequently - it's just too unrealistic to expect so much so quickly.

Guys like Mond and Trask and even Lance are in ideal situations as none of them are expected to start right away and save their respective franchises and all have experienced vets who can show them the ropes.

It will be really interesting to see how this group of QBs turns out and which ones end up having good or even great careers.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:49 am I will say, I find it funny that all along, we have an immobile QB and a bad OL. But NOW, our offensive line looks more promising than it ever has in 10+ years and we're all of the sudden shifting to the mobile style QB. Is it just me or is that as# backwards? Not that we should ignore the OL with a mobile QB but with Cousins we really NEED a solid offensive line. And by the looks of it, it's going to be solid right after Cousins leaves.
The thing about Cousins is that he's not really immobile more than he just doesn't show a lot of anticipation. Someone posted a film study on Cousins a while back that I think highlighted his strengths and weaknesses really well, and one of his weaknesses is that he needs to see a route come open before he'll throw the ball. Likewise, he'll sit in the pocket and hold the ball longer than he should sometimes for the same reason. Once he sees it though he can throw dimes all over the field.

As for the offensive line, Darrisaw and Davis are pretty much Day One starters from everything I've seen and read. Not to say they will come out and dominate but the offensive line improvement might not take that long. Cousins might find the going easier already this coming season.

I'm hoping the line play improves for Cook most of all though, not because he needs it more than Cousins per se, but because I love watching Cook get to the 2nd level and that just hasn't happened enough because of the spotty run blocking. Get that man some run blocking and warm up the highlight machine.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

While I don't do mocks, I mentioned pre-draft that Mond was my guy specifically because we're in the position to look for potential, not polish. Mond has the abilities you can't teach. You can't teach arm strength and speed. He lacks consistency but a lot of that is mechanics and can be worked on. And he has 2 years to work on it.

The other consideration is how much Mond improved each year. It shows the potential for a high ceiling.

He may not pan out but he's absolutely the type of pick we should have been taking on a regular basis over the last 10 years. The QB position is important enough that you want to risk a 3rd round pick every couple years. Assuming Rick sticks around, I hope this is the beginning of a pivot in strategy. No more starter and UDFA nonsense. Keep bringing in the competition. Real competition.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

S197 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:37 pm While I don't do mocks, I mentioned pre-draft that Mond was my guy specifically because we're in the position to look for potential, not polish. Mond has the abilities you can't teach. You can't teach arm strength and speed. He lacks consistency but a lot of that is mechanics and can be worked on. And he has 2 years to work on it.

The other consideration is how much Mond improved each year. It shows the potential for a high ceiling.

He may not pan out but he's absolutely the type of pick we should have been taking on a regular basis over the last 10 years. The QB position is important enough that you want to risk a 3rd round pick every couple years. Assuming Rick sticks around, I hope this is the beginning of a pivot in strategy. No more starter and UDFA nonsense. Keep bringing in the competition. Real competition.
Interesting, isn't it?

Josh Allen lacked both accuracy and consistency, but he also had (has) those traits of arm strength and mobility. Why couldn't Mond improve his consistency with quality NFL coaching?

I'm with you. I like the pick.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:53 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:49 am

That's a really good point I didnt think about it that way. And if they were actually interested in Fields and the rumors are true, Mond's skill set is more similar to Fields

I will say, I find it funny that all along, we have an immobile QB and a bad OL. But NOW, our offensive line looks more promising than it ever has in 10+ years and we're all of the sudden shifting to the mobile style QB. Is it just me or is that as# backwards? Not that we should ignore the OL with a mobile QB but with Cousins we really NEED a solid offensive line. And by the looks of it, it's going to be solid right after Cousins leaves.
I think it is a false narrative to say that Cousins is immobile. He is about average mobility for NFL Starting QBs IMO.
RIght I mean he's not Tom Brady immobile. He's just simply a pure pocket passer.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

S197 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:37 pm While I don't do mocks, I mentioned pre-draft that Mond was my guy specifically because we're in the position to look for potential, not polish. Mond has the abilities you can't teach. You can't teach arm strength and speed. He lacks consistency but a lot of that is mechanics and can be worked on. And he has 2 years to work on it.

Someone who agrees with me on drafting a QBs 3rd round or so every yr or two.

Responding to a prior post. QBs being thrown in to early. With Mond not having to start right away, example.., Carr. Not the Raiders.p, Carr,... I think his older brother, who went to Houston. Set records being sacked a record amount of times, I think he got gun shy, a bust... Question,, Would it had been different sitting and learning for a year or two.. Did he flop because of a crap team, being thrown into fire to fast,,,,
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:41 am
CharVike wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:19 am
Look at the NFC champ game last year. Brady vs Rodgers.
Rodgers greatest advantage over guys like Brady is his athletic ability. He is not a pocket passer like a Brees, Brady, Rivers or Cousins.

Since 2010, their have been 22 13 win QBs.
Brady, Brees, Goff, Jimmy G, Palmer, Manning and Ryan, true pocket passers were responsible for 12 of those seasons.
Mahomes, Allen, Rodgers, Jackson, Prescott, Smith, and Wilson, athletic QBs, were responsible for the other 10.

One thing you notice from that first list versus the second is that Brady, Goff and Ryan are the only three left who will start next season. Once Brady retires there is a good chance there won't be a pocket passing QB capable of winning 13 games without being carried to that many wins, left.
Rodgers is more athletic than Cousins? Cousins ran for 156 yards with a 4.9 YPC. Rodgers ran for 149 yards with a 3.9 YPC. Rodgers is a pocket passer. He's not running a sprint draw offense. What separates Rodgers is his ability to process information very quickly and he also can throw any pass in the book with great accuracy. He has touch and can also drive the ball.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:34 am
StumpHunter wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:41 am
Rodgers greatest advantage over guys like Brady is his athletic ability. He is not a pocket passer like a Brees, Brady, Rivers or Cousins.

Since 2010, their have been 22 13 win QBs.
Brady, Brees, Goff, Jimmy G, Palmer, Manning and Ryan, true pocket passers were responsible for 12 of those seasons.
Mahomes, Allen, Rodgers, Jackson, Prescott, Smith, and Wilson, athletic QBs, were responsible for the other 10.

One thing you notice from that first list versus the second is that Brady, Goff and Ryan are the only three left who will start next season. Once Brady retires there is a good chance there won't be a pocket passing QB capable of winning 13 games without being carried to that many wins, left.
Rodgers is more athletic than Cousins? Cousins ran for 156 yards with a 4.9 YPC. Rodgers ran for 149 yards with a 3.9 YPC. Rodgers is a pocket passer. He's not running a sprint draw offense. What separates Rodgers is his ability to process information very quickly and he also can throw any pass in the book with great accuracy. He has touch and can also drive the ball.
Rodgers is very good at extending a play. Doesn't run as well as Cousins perhaps, but I would still say more mobile.