Day 2 draft rounds 2,3

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Day 2 draft rounds 2,3

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:16 pm I'm so glad the Vikings didn't trade up to get Fields and I'm equally glad they didn't take Jones. If there was ever a QB class that was a toss up beyond the top guy, this class was the definition of it. Of the QBs taken in the first round, much less the first 3 rounds, the ones with the best chances to make it aren't going to make it because of their pre-draft hype, but rather because they probably don't have to step on the field Day One and save the franchise.

If Fields is successful in Chicago it's probably going to be because he doesn't win the starting job over Dalton this year and he can sit and learn and develop. Of course, Bears fans are going to expect Fields to win the starting job over Dalton and the head coach is going to be under pressure to give the job to Fields, which means he will get thrown into the meat grinder right away.

Lawrence, Wilson and even Mac Jones are likely to be in that same situation. Trey Lance probably won't be (and even if he is, he's on a team that is actually good when healthy and can probably keep the pressure off him with good defense and a solid running game), Kyle Trask won't be, and Kellen Mond won't be. Davis Mills might be depending on what happens with Watson down in Houston. So of that group of QBs, Lance, Trask and Mond are going to get launched optimally while the rest are going to have to fight off the lions, tigers and bears right from the start. Lawrence might be good enough to do that. The rest probably aren't and won't be.

It will be really fascinating to look at how this crop of QBs turns out in 5 years.
It will be fascinating. The kid picked number one probably will start from the beginning. There will be some ugly times but I think the fans would like to see the kid play. I would. Luck lead a 2 win team to an 11 win playoff season as a rookie. So he could flip that team. The guy for the Bears will probably have to take over. The heads of the coach and GM are in a noose. Plus there not a garbage team as they were 8-8 and made the expanded playoffs. Plus they made a trade. There D is very good and sometimes dominating. They can also get destroyed as Rodgers showed the last week of the season. The Bears also can use the blue print the Dolphins used for Tua when Fitzmagic was the mentor and fall back guy. So I expect Dalton to fill that roll. That will be a pain in the rear for us. The D will need to be ready for two different style QBs. Kub will try and pound the ball down their throat and that's going against the Bears teeth on defense. More than likely a low scoring game with last possession winning. Best thing for a rookie QB. The 49er guy? Will sit until Jimmy gets hurt. If he plays well he stays in. If he blows he can sit back down when Jimmy gets healthy and nothing lost. Rookie learning the trade. Mills is in a get ready for anything deal. But he's in the most likely to fail deal also. The rest will probably ride the pine and work on their craft until there existing starter struggles, gets hurt or is allowed to hit FA. The guy for the Bucs is in the best spot. He can learn from the best in the game and go through the playoff and Super Bowl ride. Plus I like that coaches attitude. His no risk it, no biscuit theme fits perfect.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

CharVike wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:53 am The guy for the Bucs is in the best spot. He can learn from the best in the game and go through the playoff and Super Bowl ride.
I thought Trask would turn out to be the best QB of this class in hindsight before he went to the Bucs. Now, I'm almost certain of that outcome, especially if he soaks up everything he can from Brady while he waits for his turn.

I actually think Mond has a good chance of developing into an impact starter too. I love the kid's release. He puts nice pace on the ball and it comes out quickly and effortlessly. If he can develop pocket presence and awareness of what defenses are doing and settle his feet down, I could see him having a long and productive career as a pro.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:14 pm
CharVike wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:53 am The guy for the Bucs is in the best spot. He can learn from the best in the game and go through the playoff and Super Bowl ride.
I thought Trask would turn out to be the best QB of this class in hindsight before he went to the Bucs. Now, I'm almost certain of that outcome, especially if he soaks up everything he can from Brady while he waits for his turn.

I actually think Mond has a good chance of developing into an impact starter too. I love the kid's release. He puts nice pace on the ball and it comes out quickly and effortlessly. If he can develop pocket presence and awareness of what defenses are doing and settle his feet down, I could see him having a long and productive career as a pro.
Yea Trask might turn out to be the best. I hate to post this but it might not even be with the Bucs. He still might be ours 4 years down the road. Certainly Brady isn't showing any signs of slowing down. I felt the Bucs were stupid for signing some old geezer last year. Here's how it will work. In 4 years Trask will take over for the Bucs and be a star and we will sign Brady because we need a QB to get past Rodgers. Brady will play great for us and look like the same star and then in game 13 show his 48 years of age and fall of the face of the football world and play like Spergon Wynn and get destroyed in the opening playoff game like 46-0. Worst than the 41-0 beating in NJ. That was just a lame joke. There's nothing about this draft that I liked. I've been following the draft good since the days of Baushbaum scout notebook. He did great write ups on a ton of players. PFW put it out. It was good. Long before the internet stuff.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

I agree I am a HUGE Trask fan. Had us taking him in my mock and have been talking him up for a while. Going into day 2 of the draft I saw that Tampa was interested in him but I wasnt sure it was going to happen. But yeah in that offense, with those WRs and Arians as a coach, learning under Brady, he's set up like a king to be honest.

It makes me wonder, if Mond and Trask were both on the board at our pick, who do we take? Were they that high on Mond or went with Mond simply because Trask went off the board just before that.

I do think Mond has a lot of potential and think they approached this the right way. We currently have a QB that is an established starter and didnt have to give up a bunch of draft capital (like the Bears) to get a guy like Fields. Supposedly we were interested in him and who knows how much we were really offering to move up to get him but I'm glad we didnt. 1.) Because it didnt cost us any draft capital and 2.) I havent been a big Fields fan at all through this entire process. I see too much Cam Newton in Fields. I'm honestly glad that it was Chicago that pis#ed away a bunch of draft capital to get him because I think he will bust. I could be wrong and eat plenty of crow but I'm willing to take that chance.

I honestly dont think the ceiling for Fields and for Mond are all that different. And if both happen to hit their floor, we spent a hell of a lot less than Chicago did for what we got. I had both Fields and Lance way down on my list. Chris Simms had a similar list when it came to these guys.

I would just like to see Mond stretch the field more because he does have a cannon arm paired with good accuracy. But the nice part is we dont need to rush Mond into action where Chicago could very well have to do that with Fields. Dalton is not a good starting QB so the leash is going to be short. Cousins is plenty good enough to keep his starting job. Mond wont see action until Cousins is gone (barring an injury). But I'm completely fine with that.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:42 am

I agree I am a HUGE Trask fan. Had us taking him in my mock and have been talking him up for a while. Going into day 2 of the draft I saw that Tampa was interested in him but I wasnt sure it was going to happen. But yeah in that offense, with those WRs and Arians as a coach, learning under Brady, he's set up like a king to be honest.

It makes me wonder, if Mond and Trask were both on the board at our pick, who do we take? Were they that high on Mond or went with Mond simply because Trask went off the board just before that.

I do think Mond has a lot of potential and think they approached this the right way. We currently have a QB that is an established starter and didnt have to give up a bunch of draft capital (like the Bears) to get a guy like Fields. Supposedly we were interested in him and who knows how much we were really offering to move up to get him but I'm glad we didnt. 1.) Because it didnt cost us any draft capital and 2.) I havent been a big Fields fan at all through this entire process. I see too much Cam Newton in Fields. I'm honestly glad that it was Chicago that pis#ed away a bunch of draft capital to get him because I think he will bust. I could be wrong and eat plenty of crow but I'm willing to take that chance.

I honestly dont think the ceiling for Fields and for Mond are all that different. And if both happen to hit their floor, we spent a hell of a lot less than Chicago did for what we got. I had both Fields and Lance way down on my list. Chris Simms had a similar list when it came to these guys.

I would just like to see Mond stretch the field more because he does have a cannon arm paired with good accuracy. But the nice part is we dont need to rush Mond into action where Chicago could very well have to do that with Fields. Dalton is not a good starting QB so the leash is going to be short. Cousins is plenty good enough to keep his starting job. Mond wont see action until Cousins is gone (barring an injury). But I'm completely fine with that.
Here is Trask versus Alabama:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqqtqtanRPw&t=618s

Mond versus Alabama:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIZN83OKxag&t=15s

Trask put up the numbers and kept his team close, but the Gators offensive weapons and Oline were just head and shoulders better than A & Ms.

I post these videos because they were not only common opponents, but also because how a QB does against the best does better to define a QB than just about anything else. Plus Alabama had as close to an NFL caliber defense as you can get outside of the NFL.

Breaking down the film, you are absolutely correct that Trask fits that Arians style offense. You give him all the weapons and Oline and he will sling it to those weapons. Whether that is with the success Brady had or the lack of success Winston had is yet to be determined, but his style of play fits TB.

Mond on the other hand looks like Case Keenum in 2017 only with actual talent. He moves the ball well, slides in the pocket to avoid almost constant pressure and takes what the defense gives him, which wasn't a whole lot on most of those plays. I did not really see the accuracy issues outside of a few throws, with the pick six being the most noticeable errant pass(which really wasn't that terrible of a throw as much as the CB making a great play).
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Trask was down graded because of arm strength and lack of athletic ability. The rest is good with the guy including pocket presence. He's accurate and threw 43 TD passes. Has no speed and some teams probably took him off their board for that. I would have preferred him also. He has been compared to Brad Johnson. Mond has been compared to Josh Dobbs who the Steelers drafted and just recently signed him to a one year deal. Fields is in a spot that's not going to help him with his development. He has tremendous athletic skills including a great arm. With that I'm glad we didn't get him. The Bears will need to get him in there now and it will probably be as a change up. Go back and if the guy is covered take off and head for pay dirt. With his track speed that creates a big problem for any team. You almost have to keep him in the pocket and force him to throw.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:42 am It makes me wonder, if Mond and Trask were both on the board at our pick, who do we take? Were they that high on Mond or went with Mond simply because Trask went off the board just before that.
I suspect they had Mond ahead of Trask, mostly because they skipped Mills who I think is closer to Trask in terms of his play style and all 3 QBs were pretty much in that same tranch of 2nd day picks.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

StumpHunter wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:30 am Here is Trask versus Alabama:

Mond versus Alabama:
One thing that jumps out about Mond is his quick release and how much speed he generates with it. I don't recall the last QB I have seen with such a tight and quick release. Plus, he fundamentally takes care of the football with the way he positions it while he's scanning the field. The very first play in the Trask highlights has him fumbling the ball as he is sacked, which we've seen way too often with various Vikings QBs. I don't recall seeing a film study of Mond where he fumbled while waiting to pass. He holds the ball close to his body and high and tight. If a defender swats his arm, the ball isn't going to get jarred loose. And with his tight and quick release a defender would have to have almost perfect timing (read - luck) to jar it loose on the wind back.

Of course, none of that matters much if Mond can't process the defense, anticipate receivers coming open, or throw accurately, but from a pre-throw fundamentals standpoint he can protect the ball. If he continues to develop the other skills he could be very difficult to defend.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

StumpHunter wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:30 am

Mond versus Alabama:

Trask put up the numbers and kept his team close, but the Gators offensive weapons and Oline were just head and shoulders better than A & Ms.

I post these videos because they were not only common opponents, but also because how a QB does against the best does better to define a QB than just about anything else. Plus Alabama had as close to an NFL caliber defense as you can get outside of the NFL.

Breaking down the film, you are absolutely correct that Trask fits that Arians style offense. You give him all the weapons and Oline and he will sling it to those weapons. Whether that is with the success Brady had or the lack of success Winston had is yet to be determined, but his style of play fits TB.

Mond on the other hand looks like Case Keenum in 2017 only with actual talent. He moves the ball well, slides in the pocket to avoid almost constant pressure and takes what the defense gives him, which wasn't a whole lot on most of those plays. I did not really see the accuracy issues outside of a few throws, with the pick six being the most noticeable errant pass(which really wasn't that terrible of a throw as much as the CB making a great play).
Thanks for sharing. Game film like this where you see the good the bad and the ugly is so much more useful than highlights. I'm in the process of sorting through it right now, but I have already seen Trask throw an absolute perfect TD bomb and then overthrow a WIDE OPEN receiver for what would have been a TD.

After watching both from start to finish I have to say I'm underwhelmed by both of them. Trask was definitely a gunslinger, but not that accurate and could have easily had several more TOs if not for getting bailed out.
Mond while making some very nice throws also made many very poor ones. He ran for 19 yards on 8 attempts and threw a pick 6. Both look like Potential NFL backups neither looked like a potential NFL starter.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:04 pm

Mond versus Alabama:

Thanks for sharing. Game film like this where you see the good the bad and the ugly is so much more useful than highlights. I'm in the process of sorting through it right now, but I have already seen Trask throw an absolute perfect TD bomb and then overthrow a WIDE OPEN receiver for what would have been a TD.

After watching both from start to finish I have to say I'm underwhelmed by both of them. Trask was definitely a gunslinger, but not that accurate and could have easily had several more TOs if not for getting bailed out.
Mond while making some very nice throws also made many very poor ones. He ran for 19 yards on 8 attempts and threw a pick 6. Both look like Potential NFL backups neither looked like a potential NFL starter.
I think that is a little harsh on Mond. His offensive weapons and Oline were completely overmatched in that game and if you switched QBs and had Mac Jones playing for A & M and Mond for Alabama the score is likely even more lopsided.
VikingTom
Starter

Post by VikingTom »

VikingLord wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:39 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:42 am It makes me wonder, if Mond and Trask were both on the board at our pick, who do we take? Were they that high on Mond or went with Mond simply because Trask went off the board just before that.
I suspect they had Mond ahead of Trask, mostly because they skipped Mills who I think is closer to Trask in terms of his play style and all 3 QBs were pretty much in that same tranch of 2nd day picks.
I think teams are valuing more athletic QBs these days. There are few QBs who have success as statues in the pocket. Time will tell, but I think Mond can be a successful QB. Especially as he will have time to acclimate and learn.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingTom wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:57 am

I think teams are valuing more athletic QBs these days. There are few QBs who have success as statues in the pocket. Time will tell, but I think Mond can be a successful QB. Especially as he will have time to acclimate and learn.
Look at the NFC champ game last year. Brady vs Rodgers. Just look back X number of years and the Super bowl NFC QBs. I don't see any Lamar Jackson types in that group. I have posted that group before. The shame is guys get bumped down because they demonstrate passing skills but lack speed. This year is was all about the 40 speed that Field ran. Since when has that got a team to the show? RG III was the next great. One great year and poof junk. When Newton lite up the NFL that was the rage then also. No team can make the show without a guy that can move. Well that guy is still around and has the same problem he has always had. His accuracy blows now just as it did before. Has a hard time finding guys and takes off. The pocket is much safer than heading into the open field. Guys are coming full speed from all angels. Lamar does it best right now. He can fly are rips through the secondary. Mahomes who is the best young guy today can move but his passing game is what makes it for him. When he couldn't pass in the Super Bowl they couldn't score. The big problem is the kids coming out aren't there anymore. Guys are picked high who are major development guys. There's nothing else. Trask, Mond and Mills are about as even as prospects as you can get. That all have some nice skills. They will get some bench time to take in the game. That should help. But only if they can improve the skills that are limiting them. In the end a QB will need to pass the ball. That can't be avoided. Unless your playing junk.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:19 am
VikingTom wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:57 am

Look at the NFC champ game last year. Brady vs Rodgers.
Rodgers greatest advantage over guys like Brady is his athletic ability. He is not a pocket passer like a Brees, Brady, Rivers or Cousins.

Since 2010, their have been 22 13 win QBs.
Brady, Brees, Goff, Jimmy G, Palmer, Manning and Ryan, true pocket passers were responsible for 12 of those seasons.
Mahomes, Allen, Rodgers, Jackson, Prescott, Smith, and Wilson, athletic QBs, were responsible for the other 10.

One thing you notice from that first list versus the second is that Brady, Goff and Ryan are the only three left who will start next season. Once Brady retires there is a good chance there won't be a pocket passing QB capable of winning 13 games without being carried to that many wins, left.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

That's a really good point I didnt think about it that way. And if they were actually interested in Fields and the rumors are true, Mond's skill set is more similar to Fields

I will say, I find it funny that all along, we have an immobile QB and a bad OL. But NOW, our offensive line looks more promising than it ever has in 10+ years and we're all of the sudden shifting to the mobile style QB. Is it just me or is that as# backwards? Not that we should ignore the OL with a mobile QB but with Cousins we really NEED a solid offensive line. And by the looks of it, it's going to be solid right after Cousins leaves.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Mond versus Alabama:

Good post. I agree as well. I'm honestly higher on Trask and Mond than I am others. I'm not sure why some of these first round guys got the praise they did but Mond and Trask didnt. I mean, good for us but still, just baffling.

Like just before the draft I placed a prop bet on the amount of QBs taken in round 1. The O/U was 5.5. I bet the under and won but I was awfully tempted to bet the over just because I had this weird feeling someone like Mond or Trask could somehow sneak into the back end of round 1 like we've seen with guys like Teddy and Lamar. Teams want that 5th year option for their QB. No less I also saw that Pittsburgh was very high on Trask just before the draft and it read that Pitt was "higher on him than most teams out there". I also saw reports that said Mond was a shoe-in for the early 2nd round. Either way, I feel like many would look at that bet as a gimme. But the more I thought about it, the more difficult it seemed to be.

But I wouldnt be surprised one bit if both Mond and Trask have better NFL careers than 2-3 of these early rounders. Primarily Fields, Jones and Lance.
-Chazz Palminteri