Vikings Playoff Picture

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Vikings Playoff Picture

Post by Dames »

Man, there are a lot of different things that can happen in the next couple weeks.

Chicago can get the #1 or #2 seed still.

Vikings could be 5th seed and travel to Philly for a rematch of last year. Or 6th seed and play in New Orleans. We could also play in Chicago, LA, or Dallas.

The Redskins and the Vikings could be the 2 wildcards.

Vikings could also go 1-1 and miss the playoffs.
Damian
indianation65
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by indianation65 »

All the "what ifs" and "shoulds," and "we need this or that to happen" all matter(s) not.

Teams need to "roll" into the playoffs.

I want them to beat the best teams so far, which includes teams like Chicago who now has a reason to play for home field.

If the Vikes are going to make noise in the playoffs, and "new life" has been injected into their veins, let them roll and take the hard, rocky road to the championship game, and beyond. I always think about Eli and the Giants turning their wildcard season into the Super Bowl and beating the undefeated Patriots.

I'd love to see Minnesota steamroll and take on the Chiefs in the SB, my AFC prediction for opponent.

Backing in and hoping "this or that" is embarrassing.

Go Vikes!

...wisdom ?
...spirits in the wind and the trees
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:35 pm I'm just going about it one game at a time. Beat Detroit and see where everything stands. The Vikings could also jump to the 5 seed with a win against Detroit and a Seattle loss against Kansas City.
Right which is very likely. But I feel you here. One game at a time. Anyone can beat anyone at this point. It's been a weird year. The browns are still in the playoff hunt, the bears won the north, the Patriots got smoked by the Lions and Titans, the 49ers beat the Seahawks, the Vikings lost to the Bills and the Raiders beat the Steelers. ANYTHING can happen
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:22 pm
UK Phil wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:41 pm

Is that true? I thought the Seahawks would be ahead of us because they beat us last week?
You're right, I think. I was looking at the loss column, but I believe win percentage would be the same if they both won in week 17, thus it would go to the tiebreaker. My bad.
Don't forget the tie either. If the Vikings and other teams finish with same wins, we still have the higher win % so we don't go to a tiebreaker. Unless one of the other teams also get a tie, we really shouldn't even have the possibility of tiebreakers. Besides the Packers, there is no other team with a tie in the NFC, so all the tiebreaker stuff doesn't matter at this point for the Vikings. Vikings would have to lose a game and one of the other close teams would have to get a tie for tiebreakers to happen in our case.
GermanViking29
Rookie

Post by GermanViking29 »

Worry about? Philadelphia won't matter.
They can make playoffs but they'll lose this time.
I have Redskins and Vikings getting in.
I don't care if it's Dallas or Philly otherwise.
GermanViking29
Rookie

Post by GermanViking29 »

Dames wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:23 pm Man, there are a lot of different things that can happen in the next couple weeks.

Chicago can get the #1 or #2 seed still.

Vikings could be 5th seed and travel to Philly for a rematch of last year. Or 6th seed and play in New Orleans. We could also play in Chicago, LA, or Dallas.

The Redskins and the Vikings could be the 2 wildcards.

Vikings could also go 1-1 and miss the playoffs.
Lol and they will happen,oh yes, they will happen
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Crax wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:08 pm
PacificNorseWest wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:22 pm

You're right, I think. I was looking at the loss column, but I believe win percentage would be the same if they both won in week 17, thus it would go to the tiebreaker. My bad.
Don't forget the tie either. If the Vikings and other teams finish with same wins, we still have the higher win % so we don't go to a tiebreaker. Unless one of the other teams also get a tie, we really shouldn't even have the possibility of tiebreakers. Besides the Packers, there is no other team with a tie in the NFC, so all the tiebreaker stuff doesn't matter at this point for the Vikings. Vikings would have to lose a game and one of the other close teams would have to get a tie for tiebreakers to happen in our case.
I'm just confusing myself. :lol:

It looks like what I originally says was correct about winning out, plus a Seattle loss next week, but regardless...I'm not gonna jump ahead. Just beat Detroit and see how things sit going into week 17. I'm not relying on Houston beating Philadelphia and Seattle can beat KC, so really, winning out is what I'm leaning on and it all starts in Detroit.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

indianation65 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:32 pm All the "what ifs" and "shoulds," and "we need this or that to happen" all matter(s) not.

Teams need to "roll" into the playoffs.

I want them to beat the best teams so far, which includes teams like Chicago who now has a reason to play for home field.

If the Vikes are going to make noise in the playoffs, and "new life" has been injected into their veins, let them roll and take the hard, rocky road to the championship game, and beyond. I always think about Eli and the Giants turning their wildcard season into the Super Bowl and beating the undefeated Patriots.

I'd love to see Minnesota steamroll and take on the Chiefs in the SB, my AFC prediction for opponent.

Backing in and hoping "this or that" is embarrassing.

Go Vikes!

...wisdom ?
I think it was Peyton Manning last season, but in week 14 or 15, Denver could have finished anywhere from the 1 seed to out of the playoffs. I thought that was pretty amazing for so late in the year. In fact I think KC clinched a playoff spot before them.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

That stupid tie in Green Bay sure is looming large for us. We should have won that game. Daniel Carlson: 0 for 3. Ridiculous.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

Do we really have to root for the Saints tonight? :puke:

How about a tie?
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

What's the scenario to play Dallas? That's the one I'm hoping for, this teams best chance is in a dome or in warm LA. Playing in soldier Field would be a monumental uphill battle. Can you imagine playing in Philly again? Ugh.

Dallas then NO or LA is I think the ideal path. Preferably the Rams.

I honestly hope Chicago has something to play for, I don't want this team falling backwards into the playoffs. Also 5th seed is ideal assuming a team like Philly can pull off a couple upset wins and give us NFCC at home.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

S197 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:59 pm What's the scenario to play Dallas? That's the one I'm hoping for, this teams best chance is in a dome or in warm LA. Playing in soldier Field would be a monumental uphill battle. Can you imagine playing in Philly again? Ugh.

I honestly hope Chicago has something to play for, I don't want this team falling backwards into the playoffs. Also 5th seed is ideal assuming a team like Philly can pull off a couple upset wins and give us NFCC at home.
Dallas most likely wins the division, but won't catch the Bears, so the NFCE division winner will be the 4th seed and play the 5th seed. The Vikings would need to finish with a better record than Seattle. If Vikings win out and Seattle loses against KC, then the Vikings would be the 5th seed and play Dallas (or Philadelphia or Washington).
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:59 pm What's the scenario to play Dallas? That's the one I'm hoping for, this teams best chance is in a dome or in warm LA. Playing in soldier Field would be a monumental uphill battle. Can you imagine playing in Philly again? Ugh.

For the Vikes to play Dallas in the wildcard round, the Cowboys need to win the NFC East and the Vikings need to finish as the 5th seed in the conference. Otherwise, those two teams wouldn't meet unless they played in the NFC Championship game.

The way the landscape looks right now the Vikings would finish 6th seed and go to Soldier Field. If they won that game they'd play the Saints. Tough road.

Of course, it's all up in the air and the Vikes have to make the playoffs first.
VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

Mothman wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:12 pm

For the Vikes to play Dallas in the wildcard round, the Cowboys need to win the NFC East and the Vikings need to finish as the 5th seed in the conference. Otherwise, those two teams wouldn't meet unless they played in the NFC Championship game.

The way the landscape looks right now the Vikings would finish 6th seed and go to Soldier Field. If they won that game they'd play the Saints. Tough road.

Of course, it's all up in the air and the Vikes have to make the playoffs first.
Seattle does play KC next week, so there is reasonable chance that they will get another loss and finish at 9-7. If the Vikings win their last two, they become the 5th seed. I don't think that's too much to ask for. BUT....I don't want to count chickens. We have to win and make the playoffs first and foremost.
Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Post by Husker Vike »

Trying to figure out if there is any reason that we want the Panthers to win tonight.It would give the Saints same record as the Rams,although Saints hold head to head win over LA.Saints have Panthers twice and at home next week against Pittsburgh,Rams have Cards and 49ers, Bears have 49ers and us.