Vikings Playoff Picture

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Vikings Playoff Picture

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

First. If the Vikings win out, next week at Detroit, and at home vs. Chicago, they are in.

So what if they lose one of those games? Well, there are three teams that can jump in and steal that last Wildcard spot from the Vikes. If any of these teams lose one of their remaining games, then the Vikings are still in (under the Vikings losing one of their remaining two games scenario)

Carolina (6-7) plays the Saints tonight at home. That would seemingly be a tough game for Carolina to win. If they lose, their only hope would be for the Vikings to lose out. Carolina stays home to play Atlanta next week, and then finishes the year again playing the Saints in New Orleans. Very slim chance for Carolina to see the post season.

Washington (7-7) plays the Titans in Tennessee on Saturday who are also playing for their playoff lives. They finish the year at home versus the Eagles. The Redskins are completely desimated. They were lucky to eek out a win this week against Jacksonville. I don't see them having enough to win out. Their gas tank is empty.

Philadelphia (7-7) After their big win against teh Rams last night, they are suddenly the team to worry about. They take on a pretty hot Houston Texans team next week, but it is in Philly and I'm not sold that Houston is all what they are cracked up to be. I can easily see the Eagles winning this game. The Birds then finish the year against the Redskins. It's in Washngton but if Philly needs this game, I don't see the Skins having enough to win. The Eagles are the biggest threat at this point.

Let's make it all a moot point, and just take care of business ourselves and finish at 9-6-1.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Vikings Playoff Picture

Post by Texas Vike »

VikeFanInEagleLand wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:21 pm First. If the Vikings win out, next week at Detroit, and at home vs. Chicago, they are in.

So what if they lose one of those games? Well, there are three teams that can jump in and steal that last Wildcard spot from the Vikes. If any of these teams lose one of their remaining games, then the Vikings are still in (under the Vikings losing one of their remaining two games scenario)

Carolina (6-7) plays the Saints tonight at home. That would seemingly be a tough game for Carolina to win. If they lose, their only hope would be for the Vikings to lose out. Carolina stays home to play Atlanta next week, and then finishes the year again playing the Saints in New Orleans. Very slim chance for Carolina to see the post season.

Washington (7-7) plays the Titans in Tennessee on Saturday who are also playing for their playoff lives. They finish the year at home versus the Eagles. The Redskins are completely desimated. They were lucky to eek out a win this week against Jacksonville. I don't see them having enough to win out. Their gas tank is empty.

Philadelphia (7-7) After their big win against teh Rams last night, they are suddenly the team to worry about. They take on a pretty hot Houston Texans team next week, but it is in Philly and I'm not sold that Houston is all what they are cracked up to be. I can easily see the Eagles winning this game. The Birds then finish the year against the Redskins. It's in Washngton but if Philly needs this game, I don't see the Skins having enough to win. The Eagles are the biggest threat at this point.

Let's make it all a moot point, and just take care of business ourselves and finish at 9-6-1.
Eagles did themselves a huge solid by beating the Rams last night. Now, I fear the Bears have incentive to win our last game against them to take a first round bye away from the Rams, which helps the Eagles since we are their main competition for the WC spot. Eagles are likely to go 9-7 IMO, so we have to win out.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Can the Vikings lose out and make it if the other teams lose out, and phi and was tie? What a mess thst would be.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:34 pm Eagles did themselves a huge solid by beating the Rams last night. Now, I fear the Bears have incentive to win our last game against them to take a first round bye away from the Rams, which helps the Eagles since we are their main competition for the WC spot. Eagles are likely to go 9-7 IMO, so we have to win out.
The might, although the Texans should be tough competition for them.

It will probably be the Redskins who win out, the team nobody expects to make the postseason at this point. :lol:
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:34 pm Can the Vikings lose out and make it if the other teams lose out, and phi and was tie? What a mess thst would be.
I think that is the one scenario where we get in even if we lose out.

Vikings lose out
Eagles and Redskins both lose their games next week
Carolina loses 2 of their last 3 (Saints tonight, then Atlanta, then at the Saints Week 17)
Eagles and Redskins TIE in week 17

Then the Vikings get in with the beautiful record of 7-8-1

It would be utterly ridiculous, and honestly embarrassing.
Damian
VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:34 pm Can the Vikings lose out and make it if the other teams lose out, and phi and was tie? What a mess thst would be.
If the Vikings lose out, they already have 7 wins. If the other teams lose out, even if Philly and Washington tie, no one will have more than 7 wins which would lead a three way tie between MIN,PHIL & WAS. The first tie breaker is head to head, and then winning pct. within the conference which would go Washington because they would end 6-5-1 versus PHI & MIN at 5-6-1. I think the Redskins would be in.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

VikeFanInEagleLand wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:56 pm
If the Vikings lose out, they already have 7 wins. If the other teams lose out, even if Philly and Washington tie, no one will have more than 7 wins which would lead a three way tie between MIN,PHIL & WAS. The first tie breaker is head to head, and then winning pct. within the conference which would go Washington because they would end 6-5-1 versus PHI & MIN at 5-6-1. I think the Redskins would be in.
I use this: http://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs/machine, which makes it pretty easy. I'm pretty sure if they tie the final game the Vikings get in.

Their explanation:
NFC Tiebreakers
6th Seed - Minnesota
Wins tie break over Philadelphia based on head-to-head win percentage. Division tie break was initially used to eliminate Washington (Philadelphia wins tie break over Washington based on head-to-head win percentage).
Seems strange, doesn't it?
Damian
UK Phil
Franchise Player

Post by UK Phil »

The Eagles winning last night has caused a big problem. That result ensures the Bears WILL have something to play for providing they beat the terrible 49ers next week. That makes 2 wins vs Detroit and then Chicago tough.

However, the optimistic view is that the Vikes have a great chance of going into the play-offs with some great momentum.

I think it's 50-50 to make the play-offs from here.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I'm just going about it one game at a time. Beat Detroit and see where everything stands. The Vikings could also jump to the 5 seed with a win against Detroit and a Seattle loss against Kansas City.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Also, there is a chance they clinch next Sunday and don't even have to worry about Chicago week 17:
they do have a chance to clinch a wild-card berth with a win in Week 16, a loss by the Eagles and a loss by the Panthers either Monday night or in Week 16.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2552 ... ps-week-15
UK Phil
Franchise Player

Post by UK Phil »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:35 pm The Vikings could also jump to the 5 seed with a win against Detroit and a Seattle loss against Kansas City.
Is that true? I thought the Seahawks would be ahead of us because they beat us last week?
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Dames wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:05 pm
VikeFanInEagleLand wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:56 pm

I use this: http://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs/machine, which makes it pretty easy. I'm pretty sure if they tie the final game the Vikings get in.

Their explanation:
NFC Tiebreakers
6th Seed - Minnesota
Wins tie break over Philadelphia based on head-to-head win percentage. Division tie break was initially used to eliminate Washington (Philadelphia wins tie break over Washington based on head-to-head win percentage).
Seems strange, doesn't it?
Head to head is always thrown out with a three way tie,even if all three teams played each other.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:39 pm Also, there is a chance they clinch next Sunday and don't even have to worry about Chicago week 17:
they do have a chance to clinch a wild-card berth with a win in Week 16, a loss by the Eagles and a loss by the Panthers either Monday night or in Week 16.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2552 ... ps-week-15
Next week, we need to win and we need the Texans to beat the Eagles. If they don't we have to beat the Bears, essentially.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:47 pm Head to head is always thrown out with a three way tie,even if all three teams played each other.
That's what I thought also, but according to both the playoff machine and https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/20 ... edictions/, we would win in that scenario. So, I found this:
TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM

Three or more teams
(Note: If two teams remain tied after the third step or other teams are eliminated, tiebreaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-team format.)
1. Apply division tiebreaker to eliminate all but the highest-ranked team in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tiebreaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two wild-card participants.
2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one team has defeated each of the others or if one team has lost to each of the others.)
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
9. Best net points in conference games.
10. Best net points in all games.
11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
12. Coin toss.
Rule 1 explains it I guess. When there are 2 teams from the same division, it's different. I dunno, seems like a strange rule to me.
Damian
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

UK Phil wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:41 pm
PacificNorseWest wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:35 pm The Vikings could also jump to the 5 seed with a win against Detroit and a Seattle loss against Kansas City.
Is that true? I thought the Seahawks would be ahead of us because they beat us last week?
You're right, I think. I was looking at the loss column, but I believe win percentage would be the same if they both won in week 17, thus it would go to the tiebreaker. My bad.