Vikings-Cardinals final play thoughts

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Re: Vikings-Cardinals final play thoughts

Post by Jordysghost »

Raptorman wrote: Yup, because Wilson is a game manager. A game manager who just happened to throw 17 TD's and 1 INT in the last 5 games. Wait, they overpaid him as well. :D
Yup they did overpay him, especially if you base it on his numbers from years prior rather then now, but even then, Brady he is not. We will see how he finishes out the season, but I don't think he is a top 3 QB, and that is what his contract says he is.

Wilson will never be Brady, let him throw for 30 TDs or 4000+ yards once in his career before we start pretending he is one of the best to ever play, let alone surpassing one of the best to ever play.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Jordysghost wrote:Wilson will never be Brady, let him throw for 30 TDs or 4000+ yards once in his career before we start pretending he is one of the best to ever play, let alone surpassing one of the best to ever play.
If he throws 4 TDs over the next 3 games, he'll be at 30 for the season.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Mothman wrote: If he throws 4 TDs over the next 3 games, he'll be at 30 for the season.
I know.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Jordysghost wrote: I know.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Wilsons stats are quite comparable to Derek Carr this year.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Jordysghost wrote: Yup they did overpay him, especially if you base it on his numbers from years prior rather then now, but even then, Brady he is not. We will see how he finishes out the season, but I don't think he is a top 3 QB, and that is what his contract says he is.

Wilson will never be Brady, let him throw for 30 TDs or 4000+ yards once in his career before we start pretending he is one of the best to ever play, let alone surpassing one of the best to ever play.
Wilson, the Game Manager vs. Brady, one of the best ever. First 61 regular season games.

Code: Select all

Comp    Attmp     Perct     Yards   YPG    TD    INT     Games won. 
Wilson      1058    1636      64.7    13,329   219    98    33         44
Brady       1215    1975      61.5    13,647   223    95    51         47
But wait, Wilson has a top defense. Brady's defense's ranked his first 4 years. 6,17,1,2 But no one ever talks about the Patriots defense.

Not saying he will have the career of Brady but people have to start giving the kid some credit, he is damn good. Of course those number don't include his 12 TDs from rushing either. And of course, he's overpaid.

BTW, Brady never threw more than 28 TD's a year until he threw 50 the year with Moss. That was year 7 as a starter.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Never denied anything in that post, only that A. Saying Wilson will surpass one of the greatest to ever live is extremely and incredibly premature, and B, that he is overpaid, and he is.

If Wilson is deserving of being paid as a top 3 player at his position, what does Andy Dalton have in store for himself coming off the year he was just having? A year in which he dwarfed any season Wilson ever had prior to this one in just 13 games, Ohh boy.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Jordysghost wrote:Never denied anything in that post, only that A. Saying Wilson will surpass one of the greatest to ever live is extremely and incredibly premature, and B, that he is overpaid, and he is.

If Wilson is deserving of being paid as a top 3 player at his position, what does Andy Dalton have in store for himself? Ohh boy.
Wilson's been in the last two Super Bowls (already one more than Mr. Rodgers), was the winning QB in one of them and wasn't too far away from being the winning QB in both. He's one of the hottest QBs in the league right now and the Seahawks have been in the playoffs every season of his career thus far. What do you think top QBs get paid to do? It's not just to put up pretty stats. However, speaking of stats, he's playing at level very comparable to Rodgers. Maybe AR doesn't deserve to be paid like a top 3 QB anymore either? :twisted:
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Mothman wrote: Wilson's been in the last two Super Bowls (already one more than Mr. Rodgers), was the winning QB in one of them and wasn't too far away from being the winning QB in both. He's one of the hottest QBs in the league right now and the Seahawks have been in the playoffs every season of his career thus far. What do you think top QBs get paid to do? It's not just to put up pretty stats. However, speaking of stats, he's playing at level very comparable to Rodgers. Maybe AR doesn't deserve to be paid like a top 3 QB anymore either? :twisted:
SB appearances/wins are irrelevant in this discussion, Bradshaw won 4 and Marino won none, that is neither here nor there.

Yes, Wilson has put up impressive numbers on a fantastic team that was built on the run and great Defense, and unfortunately for Seattle he cashed in and signed a contract that his numbers simply didn't warrant, now granted they are relying on him alot more this season, and he has delivered, but unless you think Carr and Dalton also deserve to be payed as top 3 players at their position I don't see why one would not view Wilson as overpayed.

If you put Rodgers, Brady, or pre suckage Peyton on the Seahawks for the past 3 years, you know, guys who have statlines that warrant that type of contract, guys who have statlines that point to them ACTUALLY being top 3 QBs in the league, and not just payed like one, do you think they would not have fared just as well if not better then Wilson has? I do, in fact that is a somewhat frightening thought.

If this was Rodgers best year in his career, coming off of 3 sub 4000 yard, sub 27 TD, and like Wilson, had a handful of players at his position with higher statistical output on a consistent yearly basis, then yes, I would say he doesn't deserve a top 3 QB contract.

Rodgers had years like Wilson has had to this point, except a little bit better, from 08 to 10 to be exact, and he wasn't payed like a top 3 player at his position at the time either that is for damn sure.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Jordysghost wrote:Never denied anything in that post, only that A. Saying Wilson will surpass one of the greatest to ever live is extremely and incredibly premature, and B, that he is overpaid, and he is.

If Wilson is deserving of being paid as a top 3 player at his position, what does Andy Dalton have in store for himself coming off the year he was just having? A year in which he dwarfed any season Wilson ever had prior to this one in just 13 games, Ohh boy.
Dwarfed any season Wilson has had in 13 games? Seriously? Dalton's 13 games this season beats one season of Wilson, his first. And that's only in yards. But hey, Dalton's good. I wanted him for the Vikes at one time. All he has to do is learn that you can throw TD passes in the playoffs.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Raptorman wrote: Dwarfed any season Wilson has had in 13 games? Seriously? Dalton's 13 games this season beats one season of Wilson, his first. And that's only in yards. But hey, Dalton's good. I wanted him for the Vikes at one time. All he has to do is learn that you can throw TD passes in the playoffs.
His first, his second, and his third, all pale in comparison to Daltons 13 game season this year.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Jordysghost wrote:SB appearances/wins are irrelevant in this discussion, Bradshaw won 4 and Marino won none, that is neither here nor there.
Irrelevant? I repeat: what do you think top QBs get paid to do? It's not just to put up numbers.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Mothman wrote: Irrelevant? I repeat: what do you think top QBs get paid to do? It's not just to put up numbers.

The problem with your logic is that not all teams are made equal, you are essentially saying that even though Wilson's production himself doesn't warrant his contract, his teammates production does in his stead.

And to answer your question, they are payed to do there job as well as possible, just as every other player on the roster.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Jordysghost wrote: His first, his second, and his third, all pale in comparison to Dalton's 13 game season this year.

Wilson year one.   252/393   64.1%    3118   26 tds   10 int
Wilson year two.   257/401   63.1%    3357   26 tds    9 int
Wilson year three  285/452   63.1%    3475   20 tds    7 int 
Dalton, 13 games   255/386   66.1%    3250   26 tds    7 int 
Yup, you got me there, those first 3 seasons, not even close to Dalton's 13 games this year. They pale in comparison.

Oh I know, Dalton kills him in the playoffs.

Wilson   123/202  60.1%  1820  9.0 YPA  12 tds  6 ints
Dalton    88/158  55.7%   873  5.5 YPA    1 td  6 ints 
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Yup, I sure do! As you posted above, Daltons 13 games this season were clearly better then Wilsons first 3 seasons.