2024 NFL Draft

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: 2024 NFL Draft

Post by CharVike »

Tommy TarkenKapp wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:20 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:58 am There is zero question that the Vikings preferred JJ to Nix evidenced by trading up to 10 and not risking somebody else doing it. I'm going to play a little Devils Advocate. For those who are less than thrilled with McCarthy and the decision to trade a 4th round pick plus a 5th for 6th swap to move up to 10 the Vikings could have just called the bluff and stood pat at 11. Worst thing or possibly best thing that could have happened was McCarthy got sniped at 10 and we take Bo Nix at 11. Rookie Camp reports are in for Bo Nix. They are extremely positive in general.

Reviews of Rookie Camps are to be taken with a grain of salt. They're basically an orientation/fan relations exercise. I'll bet if we really tried we could search the internet & find positive reviews for Christian Ponder at his first Rookie Camp. I can't wait for the real training camps to begin.
There was never a bust during rookie camp.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:58 am There is zero question that the Vikings preferred JJ to Nix evidenced by trading up to 10 and not risking somebody else doing it. I'm going to play a little Devils Advocate. For those who are less than thrilled with McCarthy and the decision to trade a 4th round pick plus a 5th for 6th swap to move up to 10 the Vikings could have just called the bluff and stood pat at 11. Worst thing or possibly best thing that could have happened was McCarthy got sniped at 10 and we take Bo Nix at 11. Rookie Camp reports are in for Bo Nix. They are extremely positive in general.

Reviews of Rookie Camps are to be taken with a grain of salt. They're basically an orientation/fan relations exercise. I'll bet if we really tried we could search the internet & find positive reviews for Christian Ponder at his first Rookie Camp. I can't wait for the real training camps to begin.
Of course take these reports with a grain of salt, but the praise for Nix was massive. I'm guessing there is enough smoke to be some actual fire with him.
Tommy TarkenKapp
Backup

Post by Tommy TarkenKapp »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:40 pm

Of course take these reports with a grain of salt, but the praise for Nix was massive. I'm guessing there is enough smoke to be some actual fire with him.
I like Bo Nix. I'd have been just as pleased if the Vikings drafted him instead of McCarthy. That being said...I hope he fails in Denver. Unfortunately, my complete, utter disdain of Sean Payton outweighs my admiration of Bo Nix. I loved watching the Saints/Payton get eliminated from the playoffs every year after 2009. It was even sweeter in 2017 & 2019 when the Vikings were the team that sent them home.

I never really cared much for Denver. And with Payton there...I downright hate them now. So I'd love for Bo Nix & the Broncos to be just bad enough to get Payton fired. After that...I wish Nix all the success in the world. Unless it's against the Vikings.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:40 pm
Tommy TarkenKapp wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:20 pm Reviews of Rookie Camps are to be taken with a grain of salt. They're basically an orientation/fan relations exercise. I'll bet if we really tried we could search the internet & find positive reviews for Christian Ponder at his first Rookie Camp. I can't wait for the real training camps to begin.
I think as long as Denver asks Nix to do what Nix does well he will be fine. He's great under pressure, great at getting the ball out on time and accurately, and by all accounts great at running an offense.

Where Nix will struggle is off-script where he has to scramble or is forced out of the pocket, plays that require him to push the ball down the field into coverage, and generally playing from behind. He isn't terrible at those things, but he's pretty average, and those are the things that led to him being picked last among the top group of QBs. Well that, and his relative age, which was also a knock on Penix coming out.

I think if Denver can put him in a good situation he'll be fine. He could even end up being the best QB of this class when all is said-and-done. I wouldn't have been upset had the Vikings ended up with Nix.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Onebar and Lupagus had Walter Rouse as a guest and I swear he is about the most likeable person you will ever meet.

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 6:28 pm Onebar and Lupagus had Walter Rouse as a guest and I swear he is about the most likeable person you will ever meet.

I like this pick. With Oli moving on and BB becoming our latest attempt to fill LG they need someone to backup the T spots. He started 52 games at LT during his college career. That's a nice stretch in a big time program. So he has talent because I'm sure they bring in guys every year to challenge.