Five straight road games? WTF

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Tommy TarkenKapp
Backup

Five straight road games? WTF

Post by Tommy TarkenKapp »

I just glanced over the schedule. And we have five straight road games that begins on a Thursday night against the Rams. Then we're at the Colts, Jaguars, Titans & Bears. I don't know that I've ever seen any team play five straight regular season games on the road. And there's no bye week in there either. Week 8 thru 12. Not one home game in the month of November.
cmoss84
Veteran

Re: Five straight road games? WTF

Post by cmoss84 »

Indy is home. But point still taken.

We better get some rest bye week (6)!
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Tommy TarkenKapp
Backup

cmoss84 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:58 pm Indy is home. But point still taken.

We better get some rest bye week (6)!
The schedule I saw at Vikings Official showed "at Indy". It was a mistake. I see it's been corrected. That's not too bad then. Sorry about that. I actually triple checked it before I started this thread. Refreshed the page & what not. I swear it showed those five games on the road.
cogitator
Veteran

Post by cogitator »

If JJ McCarthy doesn't start the season, and if Darnold does start but isn't playing like Pat Mahomes (in other words, there are some variables here), I would think game 7 against the Lions, a home game and after a bye week, would be a good place to start McCarthy.

https://www.vikings.com/schedule/
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

cogitator wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 12:12 am If JJ McCarthy doesn't start the season, and if Darnold does start but isn't playing like Pat Mahomes (in other words, there are some variables here), I would think game 7 against the Lions, a home game and after a bye week, would be a good place to start McCarthy.

https://www.vikings.com/schedule/
That does seem the logical week to start him.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I hope JJ is able to sit the entire year.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Maelstrom88 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 8:25 pm I hope JJ is able to sit the entire year.
If he sits the entire year that IMO is a very bad sign. If he's good he will play.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 9:08 am
Maelstrom88 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 8:25 pm I hope JJ is able to sit the entire year.
If he sits the entire year that IMO is a very bad sign. If he's good he will play.
I always lean towards letting rookies have a redshirt year to acclimate themselves. Unfortunately the reality of the league is you usually need to rush them out there. If we are out of the playoff race by December I'd want JJ to get his feet wet then but I'm pulling for Darnold to take the job and run with it. If we are smart we will then tag and trade him for picks next year.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Tommy TarkenKapp
Backup

It's not necessarily a very bad sign if he sits the entire season. It all depends on the circumstances. If Darnold plays extremely well & the team is contending for the North....well, then it makes sense to let JJ sit a bit longer. After all, it is team first. I'm not sure how likely that is to happen. That would be a nice problem in my humble opinion.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

The only way I see it as a good sign is if Sammy is playing at an all pro level. I don't see that as being a possible event. A few steps below average is his ceiling. Be interesting to see who gets the pre season snaps. Mullens is probably on a pitch count to keep his noodle arm fresh so Hall will carry the load. Maybe Sloter will come back for a few snaps. I thought we found gold with him. That was a pre season illusion on my part. I wonder if we even carry 3 QBs on the roster. Better off having a couple bodies on the practice squad in case everybody gets hurt again. That's cheaper than a roster spot.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Here is an odd schedule. Looking for the best viewership.
Chiefs will be playing on six different days of the week.
The only day the Chiefs WON'T be playing on is Tuesday. That makes the Chiefs the first team in 97 years to play on six different days of the week. Back in 1927, the New York Yankees played on every day except for Monday.
makila
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by makila »

CharVike wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 2:19 pm
The only way I see it as a good sign is if Sammy is playing at an all pro level. I don't see that as being a possible event. A few steps below average is his ceiling. Be interesting to see who gets the pre season snaps. Mullens is probably on a pitch count to keep his noodle arm fresh so Hall will carry the load. Maybe Sloter will come back for a few snaps. I thought we found gold with him. That was a pre season illusion on my part. I wonder if we even carry 3 QBs on the roster. Better off having a couple bodies on the practice squad in case everybody gets hurt again. That's cheaper than a roster spot.
Remember they can carry the third "emergency" qb now for game days.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

makila wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 8:11 am
CharVike wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 2:19 pm
Remember they can carry the third "emergency" qb now for game days.
Last year, in the first year the rule returned, the emergency game-day quarterback had to be on the 53-man roster. This year, teams will be able to elevate the emergency quarterback from the practice squad.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 9:22 am
I always lean towards letting rookies have a redshirt year to acclimate themselves. Unfortunately the reality of the league is you usually need to rush them out there. If we are out of the playoff race by December I'd want JJ to get his feet wet then but I'm pulling for Darnold to take the job and run with it. If we are smart we will then tag and trade him for picks next year.
Logical Proof
A If JJ is better than Darnold he will play.
B Darnold is not good
Conclusion if JJ doesn't play that is extremely bad news.

You can disagree with my premises if you want.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Tommy TarkenKapp wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 9:22 am
It's not necessarily a very bad sign if he sits the entire season. It all depends on the circumstances. If Darnold plays extremely well & the team is contending for the North....well, then it makes sense to let JJ sit a bit longer. After all, it is team first. I'm not sure how likely that is to happen. That would be a nice problem in my humble opinion.
Chances of Darnold playing extemely well are about the same as Kirk Cousins winning the Super Bowl in Atlanta. Could they happen? Sure. Will they happen? 1 in 100 chance.