2024 NFL Draft

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: 2024 NFL Draft

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Tommy TarkenKapp wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:32 am It'd be sweet if the Vikes could hold steady at 11 & 23. Get a good QB prospect to groom for a year & also fill another position (interior O-line, CB, DL) with promising talent. The Vikings aren't true contenders in 2024. They haven't been real contenders for quite some time now. They need an influx of talent. Especially, on the defensive side of the ball.

I hope they don't get desperate & give up too much to trade up for a QB. Run with Darnold & Mullins this year if they have to. KOC's offense seems to be pretty user friendly with most QBs. Christ!! Nick Frickin' Mullins averaged about 326 yards passing per game for his 16 quarters of playing time from weeks 14-18. 65% completion percentage. 7 TD passes. But, those horrible interceptions. My point is even Mullins did some positive things in KOC's offense.

I'd be cool with McCarthy, Maye, Nix or Penix as our future QB if they got to sit & learn for a year. But, not if the cost is too high to move up. If KOC doesn't grade one of those guys as a substantially better QB prospect than the others they should stay put & take one where they currently sit.

Of course, I could be & probably am wrong.
Count me as somebody who believes you are very right. Also I love your screen name, but you need to add CunningMoonJohnson to it. :lol: :govikes: :welcome :banana:
Last edited by VikingsVictorious on Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:23 am
allday1991 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:25 am

If they were going to do that they would have traded jj to the bengals for two first and Higgins and used the 4 1st to trade up with also keeping a number 1 wr in Higgins. Jj is more than a great player here he’s our main ticket seller, jersey seller. The new younger generation of Vikings fan have his jersey and come looking forward to seeing him. Too much of a gamble to risk potentially the greatest WR ever and a crowd favourite for an unknown. KAM is a numbers guy, I’m sure he knows the % chance he has to pull out a good qb in a draft.
Post of the day/week and maybe month. :govikes:
There is no way the Bengals could take JJ. They already have Chase and it's impossible to give out almost 70 million for 2 WRs unless they let Burrow go. Then they are us nothing at QB and the show is over. JJ isn't getting a contract for a reason. What that is I don't know.
Tommy TarkenKapp
Backup

Post by Tommy TarkenKapp »

[/quote]
but you need to add CunningMoonJohnson to it.
[/quote]

Ha! Ha! That reminds me of when the Vikings played the Eagles in the Dome back in 1997 on SNF. It was Brad Johnson's first season as the full time starting QB. Moon had left for Seattle. Someone in the crowd put up a banner that read "You've seen our Moon. Now check out our Johnson." Classic!!
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Tommy TarkenKapp wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:43 pm
but you need to add CunningMoonJohnson to it.
[/quote]

Ha! Ha! That reminds me of when the Vikings played the Eagles in the Dome back in 1997 on SNF. It was Brad Johnson's first season as the full time starting QB. Moon had left for Seattle. Someone in the crowd put up a banner that read "You've seen our Moon. Now check out our Johnson." Classic!!
[/quote]

I remember seeing very similar sign when Johnson was still backing up Moon IIRC. We've seen your Moon now show us your Johnson. Long time ago. I may have a word or two wrong.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:28 am
allday1991 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:17 am

That’s true a franchise qb tops all, however I believe trading known commodity’s for potential isn’t something a numbers guy is going to do. Sure he might waste other draft picks which have the potential for return but something with a known value like jj has is different imo. To be fair JJ has been every bit as electrifying as Moss, he out pacing him in everything but tds. Jj his first 4 years has re-written most of the record book for a four year span. He’s proven he has the ability to be the best ever, the question then is, does he stay healthy? Does he have hofer QBs throwing to him? Superbowls is a moot point imo, that’s team stat not an individual. Jj also has the ability to make bad QBs better, as you mentioned Mullen isn’t much of a qb yet he had a 400 yard game this year, because of a wr like jj. I think jj would be a huge help to our new qb, it’s basically 100 plus catches 1500 yards and 8 tds, which will do wonders for building a qb, confidence etc. Now jj and some picks for Herbert? I could see that.
JJ has bigger receiving numbers than Moss or Rice did because he's playing 40 years after Rice and 25 years after Moss with many rules changes making the passing game far easier. As a person who has been following the NFL since 1970 I have seen the entirety of Rice and Moss's careers. JJ is amazing. He is not on the level of either of those receivers.

Trading for Herbert is as close to impossible as it gets. His contract structure makes over $100 Million immediately hit the Chargers salary cap if he is traded or released.

I’ll give you that, comparing players from different generations is impossible, there’s been too many rule changes etc. One thing I will stand by is Jj is playing better athletes. Back in Moss’s day a 4.3 meant you were top 5 faster player in the league. Nowadays some Lbs almost run 4.3s, different type of athletes nowadays.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:40 am Stick and pick Vikings. If McCarthy isn't available Nix will be. Win/Win.
Or, how about not reach even at 11 for a QB and just take the BPA there. Let's even say for a second that the team is now so rich at DE that they decide to go with a CB like Terrion Arnold. That is also a win. Arnold is going to be a very good pro corner, and the Vikings defense could really use an impact player like that on the outside on passing downs.

And what if they just hold at 23 and get a center who has 10+ year immediate impact potential in Jackson Powers-Johnson? Sure, Bradbury played pretty well last year but he's always been undersized for that position. JPJ could step in and immediately stabilize the center of the OL.

The Vikings do need a young QB prospect to develop. That still doesn't mean they have to reach or even draft him this year. If the stars don't align for them I hope they don't force it and instead get as much overall value out of the draft as they can.

The way they traded up for 23 though it sure looks like KAM wants to position himself to vastly outbid any other teams who want to move up to probably get McCarthy at this point. He will probably dangle both 1sts this year and maybe even next year's 1st to move up the 5-6 spots this year to take that wild swing. I hope I'm wrong, and I hope that behind the scenes he and KOC have some more information that justifies that move, because it's going to cost them dearly if they're wrong.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

VikingLord wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:37 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:40 am Stick and pick Vikings. If McCarthy isn't available Nix will be. Win/Win.
Or, how about not reach even at 11 for a QB and just take the BPA there. Let's even say for a second that the team is now so rich at DE that they decide to go with a CB like Terrion Arnold. That is also a win. Arnold is going to be a very good pro corner, and the Vikings defense could really use an impact player like that on the outside on passing downs.

And what if they just hold at 23 and get a center who has 10+ year immediate impact potential in Jackson Powers-Johnson? Sure, Bradbury played pretty well last year but he's always been undersized for that position. JPJ could step in and immediately stabilize the center of the OL.

The Vikings do need a young QB prospect to develop. That still doesn't mean they have to reach or even draft him this year. If the stars don't align for them I hope they don't force it and instead get as much overall value out of the draft as they can.

The way they traded up for 23 though it sure looks like KAM wants to position himself to vastly outbid any other teams who want to move up to probably get McCarthy at this point. He will probably dangle both 1sts this year and maybe even next year's 1st to move up the 5-6 spots this year to take that wild swing. I hope I'm wrong, and I hope that behind the scenes he and KOC have some more information that justifies that move, because it's going to cost them dearly if they're wrong.
There's a lot to be said for not drafting a QB at all, but IMO Nix is well worth pick 11. We could take BPA at 11 and hope for Nix or Penix at 23. I prefer getting Nix at 11 and seeing which players remain at 23. Lots of players that are being Projected at 23 that I think would be worthy of 11.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:53 pm
VikingLord wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:37 pm

There's a lot to be said for not drafting a QB at all, but IMO Nix is well worth pick 11. We could take BPA at 11 and hope for Nix or Penix at 23. I prefer getting Nix at 11 and seeing which players remain at 23. Lots of players that are being Projected at 23 that I think would be worthy of 11.
Out of curiosity, if we don’t land one of the top 4 QBs. Who does the board like out of Nix and Penix? Personally I’d take Penix.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

allday1991 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:28 pm

Out of curiosity, if we don’t land one of the top 4 QBs. Who does the board like out of Nix and Penix? Personally I’d take Penix.
Penix has a bigger arm, but IMO everything else favors Nix and his arm is strong too. Nix is even more accurate, more Athletic, can pull plays out of his a$$ when things break down. Penix is great don't get me wrong, but him being a statue while Nix is a road runner makes the difference.
BeforeIDie
Backup

Post by BeforeIDie »

I’d rather swing on Mcarthy at 11 than to totally miss out on a QB this year. Next year’s first is likely to be a high one, so the Vikings will force a high QB pick next year in a much worse QB class. Like Ewers. That’s saying a lot for me, cause I don’t like Mcarthy.

Ya know what I don’t understand? When people talk about who a GM likes. Who cares what some Ivy League numbers cruncher who never played football thinks of a QB? I bet Kwesi throws a football like me with my left hand. When I watched the Kwesi/KOC conference and Kwesi discussed getting rid of Kirk, kinda felt like KOC wasn’t a fan of it. Like KOC begrudgingly is making the best of things. I’m WAY more interested in KOC’s thoughts on a QB. And I’m not sure KOC knows how to coach a super mobile QB anyway, because Dobbs could’ve been used so much better last year. Seemed like KOC was trying to make Dobbs play like Kirk.

I’m shouting it from the rooftops… PENIX. Let him sit for 8 games behind Darnold, pending our success. Pocket passer (who is way more mobile than Kirk ever was), and immediately has one of the most special arms in the whole league.
BeforeIDie
Backup

Post by BeforeIDie »

And on the Moss vs JJ debate. It’s Moss all day, and it’s not even close.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

BeforeIDie wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:01 pm I’d rather swing on Mcarthy at 11 than to totally miss out on a QB this year. Next year’s first is likely to be a high one, so the Vikings will force a high QB pick next year in a much worse QB class. Like Ewers. That’s saying a lot for me, cause I don’t like Mcarthy.

Ya know what I don’t understand? When people talk about who a GM likes. Who cares what some Ivy League numbers cruncher who never played football thinks of a QB? I bet Kwesi throws a football like me with my left hand. When I watched the Kwesi/KOC conference and Kwesi discussed getting rid of Kirk, kinda felt like KOC wasn’t a fan of it. Like KOC begrudgingly is making the best of things. I’m WAY more interested in KOC’s thoughts on a QB. And I’m not sure KOC knows how to coach a super mobile QB anyway, because Dobbs could’ve been used so much better last year. Seemed like KOC was trying to make Dobbs play like Kirk.

I’m shouting it from the rooftops… PENIX. Let him sit for 8 games behind Darnold, pending our success. Pocket passer (who is way more mobile than Kirk ever was), and immediately has one of the most special arms in the whole league.
If McCarthy is available at 11 take him for sure. Younger and Higher Potential than Penix and Nix, but don't trade up for him. Penix is a good choice, but I like Nix more for the mobility.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Mel Kiper has us mocked for McCarthy and DeJean in the first round.
Just this once I really hope Mel Knows what he's talking about.
Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Angels Wings »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:59 am
BeforeIDie wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:18 pm

Oh I’m gonna have to talk myself in to A LOT to get me excited about the next few years if/WHEN Kwesi trades up to 5 (mortgages the future) to get a QB who was a game manager EVEN at the college level. But I will talk myself in to it… I roll with purple shades on no matter what. If JJM becomes a Viking, then I’ll root for him like crazy.
I can live with us picking him at 11, but trading up to 5? Really?
There is no team past the Pats at 3 that's going to draft a QB before the Vikings at 11, so there shouldn't be a need to trade up for any pick after 3 in my opinion. I'd also take Nix or Penix before McCarthy at 11.
For those with wings, fly to your dreams
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

allday1991 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:28 pm

I wouldn't touch Penix early. Too many injuries. All picks have risk but some risk are bigger than others. There will be some top level players at 11. More than likely the QB,WR,OL and 1 TE rush will push both the top pass rushers to 11 and others. Pick 23 will also have some very good players for the same reason. For us we have a blank roster at the QB position. They put themselves into a no choice scenario.