Dalvin Cook's Future

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

Dalvin Cook's Future

Post by Cliff »

Dalvin Cook removed from Vikings Twitter header, what does it mean?

The 2023 Vikings now feature four players on their Twitter header: Justin Jefferson, Kirk Cousins, T.J. Hockenson and Alexander Mattison. No more Cook. That could be innocent, or telling that the Vikings are focusing on Mattison as their future in the backfield.

A 2019 third round pick out of Boise State, Mattison could’ve tested free agency for starting running back money, but came back to the Vikings on a two-year deal worth $7 million. In four seasons and 59 career games with the Vikings, Mattison has 1,670 rushing yards, is averaging more than four yards per carry and has 11 touchdowns.

In 2021 while Cook dealt with injuries, Mattison ran for 491 yards and three touchdowns in 16 games and four starts. It sure feels like Mattison could get his turn to be the Vikings’ No. 1 running back.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Darvin Cook Future

Post by Maelstrom88 »

He is going to be a post June 1st cut. I don't know why they aren't going to bring him back if they have the funds. Maybe they're going to boost Hunter or JJ?
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Dalvin Cook Future

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Reports are out that Dalvin will take a pay cut to remain with the Vikings. Probably need to accept 5 Million. If he does that it only costs us 1 Million to keep him. I would keep him for a million. I'm pretty sure Kapp wouldn't.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I like Cook and I hope they can find a way to keep him that works within the larger salary cap picture.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

Tomorrow might very well be Cooks last day as a Viking. Sad to think about.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:06 pm Reports are out that Dalvin will take a pay cut to remain with the Vikings. Probably need to accept 5 Million. If he does that it only costs us 1 Million to keep him. I would keep him for a million. I'm pretty sure Kapp wouldn't.
Don’t do me like that.

Of course I’d keep him for $1 million. He’ll never agree to making 1/3 of Alex Mattison’s salary, but I’d do it in a minute. I’d even be on board for $5 million if the Vikings hadn’t already agreed to Mattison’s deal.

I’d really appreciate it if you’d stop misappropriating my views. Here they are.

1. I don’t believe any running back is worth what Cook’s current contract calls for.

2. I believe the running back position isn’t a premium position.

3. Three years ago, I said if I were GM, I’d draw the line at $4 million for any individual running back’s salary. At that time, the salary cap was $198 million. Since the cap is now $225 million, I’d up that $4 million number an appropriate amount. $5 million would be in line.

4. I am more concerned about the percentage of the cap paid to a running back room than I am about the salary of any individual back. The $4 million figure I used 3 years ago was based on being able to pay four running backs at a reasonable (read: low) percentage of the cap.

VV, you can trash my views all you want, but they are shared by virtually every successful franchise of the past 10 years. You don’t see Kansas City, the Rams, Cincinnati, Tampa, New England, etc. paying huge salaries to running backs. But you do see Dallas, the Giants and the Vikings doing it, and you see what it gets them. Kwesi and KOC are changing all that in Minnesota. Laugh if you want, but it’s happening — exactly as I said it would last year.

One thing I would be in favor of is drafting a generational talent in the first round at running back. But it would have to be a truly generational talent, and I wouldn’t do it if I had pressing needs at other positions. Having a truly great RB is an advantage for sure, but their shelf life is just too short. Pay him rookie scale for 5 years and get great production. That’s value. Or more realistically, get that production for 3 years and trade him … in other words, let someone else pay him the big second contract.

All that said … Dalvin Cook for less than the cost of CJ Ham? Of course I’d do that. But he won’t.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:48 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:06 pm Reports are out that Dalvin will take a pay cut to remain with the Vikings. Probably need to accept 5 Million. If he does that it only costs us 1 Million to keep him. I would keep him for a million. I'm pretty sure Kapp wouldn't.
Don’t do me like that.

Of course I’d keep him for $1 million. He’ll never agree to making 1/3 of Alex Mattison’s salary, but I’d do it in a minute. I’d even be on board for $5 million if the Vikings hadn’t already agreed to Mattison’s deal.

I’d really appreciate it if you’d stop misappropriating my views. Here they are.

1. I don’t believe any running back is worth what Cook’s current contract calls for.

3. Three years ago, I said if I were GM, I’d draw the line at $4 million for any individual running back’s salary. At that time, the salary cap was $198 million. Since the cap is now $225 million, I’d up that $4 million number an appropriate amount. $5 million would be in line.

4. I am more concerned about the percentage of the cap paid to a running back room than I am about the salary of any individual back. The $4 million figure I used 3 years ago was based on being able to pay four running backs at a reasonable (read: low) percentage of the cap.

VV, you can trash my views all you want, but they are shared by virtually every successful franchise of the past 10 years. You don’t see Kansas City, the Rams, Cincinnati, Tampa, New England, etc. paying huge salaries to running backs. But you do see Dallas, the Giants and the Vikings doing it, and you see what it gets them. Kwesi and KOC are changing all that in Minnesota. Laugh if you want, but it’s happening — exactly as I said it would last year.

One thing I would be in favor of is drafting a generational talent in the first round at running back. But it would have to be a truly generational talent, and I wouldn’t do it if I had pressing needs at other positions. Having a truly great RB is an advantage for sure, but their shelf life is just too short. Pay him rookie scale for 5 years and get great production. That’s value. Or more realistically, get that production for 3 years and trade him … in other words, let someone else pay him the big second contract.

All that said … Dalvin Cook for less than the cost of CJ Ham? Of course I’d do that. But he won’t.
If Dalvin were to restructure his deal to $5M it would only cost us $1M more than cutting him was my understanding. I don't think Mattison is making $15 Million. Maybe Mattison's total contract value is $15M is that what you mean? Same thing regarding CJ Ham. I don't think he's making more than $5M.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Dalvin Cook's Future

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

Didnt Matti have a 2 yr contract this year?

I am pretty sure Cook is gone this year, and maybe even Hunters (some twitter rumors floating around teams have been asking the Vikes what they want in trade for Hunter). I wanted them to clean house, and lowball RBs, but man, its going to hurt losing Hunter and Cook. Be lucky to get 8 wins with our D. Id rather they tank.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:31 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:48 am
Don’t do me like that.

If Dalvin were to restructure his deal to $5M it would only cost us $1M more than cutting him was my understanding. I don't think Mattison is making $15 Million. Maybe Mattison's total contract value is $15M is that what you mean? Same thing regarding CJ Ham. I don't think he's making more than $5M.
I may be misunderstanding what you meant about Cook's salary.

Mattison signed a 2-year, $7 million deal. So his AAV is $3.5 million per year.

And I am mistaken. I didn't see that Ham actually signed a 2-year, $8.65 million contract extension, with $4.4 million guaranteed and a $2.3 million signing bonus.

That's almost $8 million a year for Mattison and Ham. Cook is as good as gone.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:29 pm Didnt Matti have a 2 yr contract this year?

I am pretty sure Cook is gone this year, and maybe even Hunters (some twitter rumors floating around teams have been asking the Vikes what they want in trade for Hunter). I wanted them to clean house, and lowball RBs, but man, its going to hurt losing Hunter and Cook. Be lucky to get 8 wins with our D. Id rather they tank.
Matti a 2yr $7 million contract. $6.35 million is fully guaranteed including a $2.5 million signing bonus. The guy hasn't averaged over 4 yards a pop in 2 seasons. He got a raise. How's that for cap management? You won't see them tank. Some think tanking is an automatic Super Bowl. We went 3-13 one season and we did draft Doleman. No SB. The Colts sucked for Luck and nothing. They forgot you need to block people and Luck had enough of the beatings. If Flores is 1/2 as good as some think we should be 15th in D and rising at the end. That's when you need to rise. The NFC is weak and up for grabs. There's no loaded team like the Chiefs. We need last seasons draft class to step up. Cine, Booth and Ingram need break out seasons. It could happen. If not then it was a bust class. Plus there are others. I don't see any benefit cutting Cook. He can still run and usually speed is the first thing to go. He's not going to bust through nothing. He's not that type of back. Never was. Give him a lane and he's off. Like always can we block against the better fronts? Who knows.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

He is being released. I don't understand why they waited.

Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

makila wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:51 am He is being released. I don't understand why they waited.

Because they were still trying to get something out of him. Them and the Dolphins were apparently really close to a deal but it must have fallen through. It's difficult to trade somebody when everyone knows he'll be cut and up for grabs.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Cliff wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:01 am
makila wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:51 am He is being released. I don't understand why they waited.

Because they were still trying to get something out of him. Them and the Dolphins were apparently really close to a deal but it must have fallen through. It's difficult to trade somebody when everyone knows he'll be cut and up for grabs.
Absolutely it's harder. "Felt" like the Dolphins were out of trade talks all the way back at the draft.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I'm not sure what the urgency was to cut him this year as opposed to next off-season.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

He has officially been cut.