Live Draft Chat

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

makila
Franchise Player

Re: Live Draft Chat

Post by makila »

Angels Wings wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:30 pm
makila wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:25 pm 49ers just traded up for our pick
I would have chalked this up as Kwesi once agin being to. cure for his own good, but the team does have needs on the team that hopefully are filled with these picks...
for sure, we have a lot of holes. volume seems to be a legit need right now. trying not to simply be justifying the actions. heh. many of us have complained this type of thing before.

they aren't unloading players to get the additional draft assets so far. which seemed like a real possibility leading up to the draft.
Bunter
Practice Squad

Post by Bunter »

Trenton Simpson was our pick and the ravens stole him which is why we traded down. Kwesi is prepared to trade down but trading a 7th next year to move up two spots scares him. He really is lost in the draft. If he doesn’t nail it next year he has to go. Everyone else in our division is blowing past us.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Feels a bit Rickish, honestly. :lol:
Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Angels Wings »

Ringo still on the board...
For those with wings, fly to your dreams
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

cb blackmon, lets keep the usc train and get caleb next year :lol:

needed to add to cb room. i don't know much about blackmon
Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Angels Wings »

Mekhi Blackmon is the pick...
Last edited by Angels Wings on Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For those with wings, fly to your dreams
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

:? I'm biased as a Utah fan, but if you're going to take a smaller corner anyway, Clark Phillips should be the choice. I guess we'll see how bad my blinders are in a couple years.
cogitator
Veteran

Post by cogitator »

If it means anything, the scouting report at NFL.com projects him as a 6th round pick. Maybe more of a needs pick than a best player available pick?
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Not a fan of that pick or the trade down.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

cogitator wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:16 pm If it means anything, the scouting report at NFL.com projects him as a 6th round pick. Maybe more of a needs pick than a best player available pick?
Ringo/Phillips/Rush/Smith were all there
Bunter
Practice Squad

Post by Bunter »

Surprised they passed on Ringo but I think he was too slow for Flores. Blackmon isn’t bad but really peeved they screwed up on Simpson. Some good rbs available but we need dl and lb. Diaboute will probably be gone next time we are on the clock. At this point I think we should just take BPA and look to next year.
Bunter
Practice Squad

Post by Bunter »

Blackmon was a “30” visit. Maybe he impressed them. Forgot about Rush. I would have liked him but Kwesi has very specific players in mind and maybe the other dbs didn’t fit his profile.

When he was hired I said on another forum that he reminded me of a lot of mbas that come in and win you over with personality and big ideas and after trying to reinvent the wheel they leave your company in turmoil and move in to another higher paying job. Still think I’m right about him.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

cogitator wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:16 pm If it means anything, the scouting report at NFL.com projects him as a 6th round pick. Maybe more of a needs pick than a best player available pick?
everything i see had him in the 20's at cb, and near 150-200 overall. again, i haven't seen much of him with my own eyes so i'm relying on others. seems like a reach.

i think if you're gonna reach, take a chance on ringo and see if you can make him work.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Here are a couple reviews of him on the ESPN draft tracker. Matt Miller really likes him.

CB
Mekhi Blackmon
FOLLOW
5'11"
178 lbs
USC
POS RK
OVR RK
GRADE
Pre-Draft Analysis
Blackmon mirrors the release and has the speed to run with most receivers in press. He's tough and competitive at the catch point, but he has shorter arms, and his frame raises concerns about his ability to match up with bigger receivers. He gets overly physical and grabby at times. Blackmon fights to get off blocks and tends to wrap up. -- Steve Muench

Post-Draft Analysis
Cornerback was a potential Round 1 need for the Vikings, but they were able to wait until Round 3 and still get a potential starter. Blackmon has fantastic tape and will push Andrew Booth Jr. and Akayleb Evans for playing time. With 15 pass breakups and three interceptions in 2022, Blackmon has proven ball skills. -- Matt Miller
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

His senior year looks really strong at USC.
-----
ESPN (Siefert):

Round 3, No. 102 overall: Mekhi Blackmon, CB, USC

My take: There's no doubt the Vikings were in need of cornerback depth. Five of their 2022 cornerbacks have either departed or remain unsigned. But the way this draft shook out, the Vikings only had one opportunity to make a selection in the first 101 picks. They used the first on USC wide receiver Jordan Addison, and then circled back to take Blackmon at No. 102.

Blackmon is one of five cornerbacks on their roster who will be either a rookie, first- or second-year player. General manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah acknowledged there are a lot of "unknowns" about the group, but he has certainly re-stocked the position for new defensive coordinator Brian Flores.

Blackmon and Addison were not only college teammates. Both made pre-draft visits to the Vikings' practice facility for a day of interviews and discussions with coaches, scouts and administrators. Adofo-Mensah said that, in his mind, prospects can "fake it" during a 15-minute combine interview -- but not during a full facility visit.

Key stat: Blackmon was a strong tackler for the Trojans last season. He missed only three tackles on 864 snaps in 2022 for a 95.3 tackle rate, the highest in the Pac-12. That'll be an important skill if it can translate at the NFL level, given how often the Vikings are likely to have their cornerbacks in press man coverage.

What’s next: The Vikings' decision to move back from No. 87 to No. 102 in the third round added two additional picks to their Day 3 total. They'll likely look for a developmental quarterback in that group, and still have a need at defensive tackle. But perhaps the most interesting story to track is whether they're able to trade either running back Dalvin Cook or linebacker Za'Darius Smith for third-day picks or future considerations. Both are known to be on the trading block.

Round 4, No. 119 overall (from Detroit)

Round 5, No. 158 overall

Round 5, No. 164 overall (from San Francisco)

Round 6, No. 211 overall (compensatory)

Round 7, No. 222 overall (from Denver via San Francisco)
-----
Watler Football:

Mekhi Blackmon Scouting Report
By Charlie Campbell

Mekhi Blackmon, 5-10/182
Cornerback
USC

Strengths:
Good feet
Effective slot cover corner
Runs the route with the receiver
Prevents separation
Quick
Agile; athletic
Loose hips to turn and run with speed receivers
Recoverability
Has ball skills
Not a gambler
Can play off-man coverage
Can play zone coverage
Experienced
Should be able to contribute quickly

Weaknesses:
Limited to slot corner
Undersized
Could struggle with big receivers
Gets boxed out
Receivers make catches over him
Could be picked on in the red zone
Short
Thin

Summary: Even though they are at a disadvantage, there are plenty of small cornerbacks who turn into quality NFL players. Blackmon could easily keep that tradition alive because he looks like a future nickel corner who could be a solid player to line up in the slot. Blackmon played at Colorado for four seasons before transferring to USC. With the Buffaloes, Blackmon did not play much in the 2018-2020 seasons. During 2021, he recorded 41 tackles, an interception and four passes broken up. With the Trojans, Blackmon was very good in his final season of college football, recording 66 tackles, three interceptions and 13 pass breakups. Blackmon then had an excellent week of practice at the Senior Bowl, impressing teams and helping his draft grade.

There is a lot to like about Blackmon as a slot corner. He has quick feet to run the route with receives and keep them from getting separation. When they do gain a step, Blackmon shows a nice burst and skilled recoverability. He has body control and does a nice job of playing the ball. He also possesses impressive ball skills to hit passes away and is a threat to create interceptions. Additionally, Blackmon is a willing tackler who will contribute to run defense. He is a gritty player who finds a way to contribute in both phases.

Obviously, Blackmon faces some limitations because he is short and light for an NFL corner. He played bigger than his measurements at the Senior Bowl, but taking on tall pro wideouts is going to be a problem. Pro teams are lining up big wide receivers in the slot, and that could create a coverage mismatch going against Blackmon. Teams could specifically target Blackmon in the red zone, so he will need to be protected and put in the right situations to be effective. Hence, some teams view him as a backup only and have him graded on Day 3. Others like him more as a potential starting nickel corner and have him projected to Day 2 of the 2023 NFL Draft.

Player Comparison: Jourdan Lewis. Blackmon reminds me of Lewis (5-10, 188) coming out of Michigan, and they are almost identical in size. Both are smaller slot cornerbacks who can run with receivers. They also face size limitations and can't play on the outside. Lewis was a third-round pick in 2017, and Blackmon could go in that range during the 2023 NFL Draft.
-----
Athletic grade:

102. Minnesota Vikings: Mekhi Blackmon, CB, USC

The Vikings entered the draft with only five selections and worked the third round to their favor by trading down and ending up with a quality cornerback in Blackmon (5-11 178). Last season he was a first-team All-Pac-12 corner with 15 passes defensed, three interceptions and 66 tackles. He has good speed (4.47 in the 40) and has decent strength (11 reps of 225 in the bench press) but needs to avoid penalties (five pass interference calls).

But Minnesota needs defensive backs for the No. 31-ranked defense, and Blackmon has the capability to play right away.

Grade: B-
-----
And PFF: