Daniel Jeremiah draft on ESPN

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Daniel Jeremiah draft on ESPN

Post by IIsweet »

With the 23rd pick of the 2023 NFL draft,
The Minnesota Vikings select...
Hendon Hooker.. Quarterback..Tennessee.

I personally would be thrilled. If not injured, and 25, he would be top 10... maybe top 3.

Sit and learn the offense behind Kirk and take over in '24. Plus 5 year rookie deal

Bucky Brooks just mentioned that the QB position is a leadership position and he is off the charts. Also, being 25 is irrelevant with the QB position.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Daniel Jeremiah draft on ESPN

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

IIsweet wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:33 pm With the 23rd pick of the 2023 NFL draft,
The Minnesota Vikings select...
Hendon Hooker.. Quarterback..Tennessee.

I personally would be thrilled. If not injured, and 25, he would be top 10... maybe top 3.

Sit and learn the offense behind Kirk and take over in '24. Plus 5 year rookie deal

Bucky Brooks just mentioned that the QB position is a leadership position and he is off the charts. Also, being 25 is irrelevant with the QB position.
He is still projected by many to be a 3rd pick. If hes there with our 3rd pick it would be a really fun pick. Has a lot of question marks though.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

According to NFL Draft Buzz (btw... I want him)

Hendon Hooker

MEASURABLES:
HEIGHT: 6-3 (53%*) WEIGHT: 217 (34%*) HANDS: 10 1/2 (88%*) ARM: 33 (75%*) SPAN: 79 (88%*)

SCOUTING REPORT: STRENGTHS
Hooker has a quick release and a live arm, delivering tight spirals, and Hooker shows good touch at the intermediate levels
Shows good accuracy on shorter throws when on the move to either side
Hooker has shown the ability to get the ball downfield, and he exhibited impressive velocity and accuracy when throwing on the move. Looks like he has an NFL-level arm
Accurate on intermediate and short throws; flashes anticipation and placement on intermediate outs and the ability to lead receivers on deeper throws.
Good accuracy overall, including excellent accuracy on short timing routes to backs and receivers, placing the ball slightly in front to lead receivers to potential yardage after the catch.
Has ideal height for the position at 6-4 and it's an asset scanning the field, and also he's a he is a better mover than a typical tall quarterback.
Checked in at the Senior Bowl with 10 1/2 inch hands - by far the biggest of the group. This will further boost his stock
Is an impressive runner - has consistently gained yardage on the ground - could be used to run a version of the read option when required
Really smart player, high character guy - who can be a natural team leader

SCOUTING REPORT: WEAKNESSES
Hooker has a tendency to hold the ball too long, and will make panicked throws; good things don’t always follow when he’s forced to extend plays.
He remains a work in progress physically, he will need to add more weight to stand up long-term in the pros
Hooker gets sloppy with his mechanics on the move, losing accuracy as he relies too much on his arm.
Great a zipping the passes, not so good showing the touch the drop the ball into a bucket
His footwork needs some work - stands flat-footed. Right now mechanically he's a bit of a work in progress
Executes in an offense that's alien to what's run in the NFL - it will be a steep learning curve for him in the pros
Whenever he is forced outside the pocket he will look to run and rarely passes. Will need to learn to keep his head up looking downfield on scrambles
Hooker suffered an ACL tear on Nov. 19 during a game against the South Carolina Gamecocks on the road. Will need to check out medically
Overaged prospect - he'll be 25 come draft day.

SCOUTING REPORT: SUMMARY
Hooker is a quality prospect who has faced adversity during his college career but now seems in an ideal place to take the next step and really get the attention of NFL scouts. He possesses excellent athletic talent, has a strong arm, huge hands, and has the power to make all the requisite throws at the next level, he also is a decent runner who is always a threat on the move. However, Hooker is still a little raw as a player and needs to demonstrate he can become a more consistently nuanced player.

Hooker was putting up good numbers prior to his ACL injury and finished the season with an impressive 123.9 NFL QB rating. Was outstanding in a 5 TD performance against Alabama although ran into a brick wall a few weeks later against Georgia.

We expect Hooker to be a very solid draft prospect assuming he recovers from his torn ACL and has all the skills to become an eventual starter in the pros so long as he isn't rushed into action too soon.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

I really like making a move to get a potential future qb. I'll preface by saying if koc wants the guy, then I'll buy in.

Personally, don't think hooker is the guy. 25 yr old, acl injury. Have watched a lot of Heupel offenses over the years it does scheme players open. Granted thats not a bad thing either, ha. However it isn't anything like what's in the NFL.

Obviously don't work for a nfl franchise..so I'll trust kocs evaluation until reason not to. I've been beating the...you have to swing on qbs ....drum for a while now.

If they think hooker is the guy, you want the fifth year of control, they need to take in the first. Lot of risk involved for that asset, on top of the usual risk with any draft pick.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

At 23rd in the first? I really hope not.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

So I just watched Thor on Purple Daily just bash this pick and then provide some stats as to why it would be a terrible pick.
I have never turned a 180 so fast.
Man, I just want to have a great young QB in the wings. If Hooker is the pick, I sure hope that we are able to trade down while acquiring some additional picks before doing so.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

IIsweet wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:21 am So I just watched Thor on Purple Daily just bash this pick and then provide some stats as to why it would be a terrible pick.
Man, I just want to have a great young QB in the wings. If Hooker is the pick, I sure hope that we are able to trade down while acquiring some additional picks before doing so.
Yeah...I think he's a good pick, later. Not at #23. Imho.

I am not convinced he'd be top 10 without the acl injury as others imply. He isn't good when pressured. The Tennessee offense had success without him too, Milton (their qb after hooker got hurt) put up very similar numbers to hooker against a very good Clemson defense.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

makila wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:54 am
IIsweet wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:21 am So I just watched Thor on Purple Daily just bash this pick and then provide some stats as to why it would be a terrible pick.
Yeah...I think he's a good pick, later. Not at #23. Imho.

I am not convinced he'd be top 10 without the acl injury as others imply. He isn't good when pressured. The Tennessee offense had success without him too, Milton (their qb after hooker got hurt) put up very similar numbers to hooker against a very good Clemson defense.
It really will come down to what KOC thinks. IMO he will avoid this guy. Look at the backup he traded for. Fits his Ram offense. There is no way I would use pick 1 for him. Just the fact that he hurt his knee takes him out of that spot. This draft has some good depth at positions we need help. I hope Hooker goes in the top 10. That will push another guy down. Same with that Richardson. Go early push another guy. Now those teams are out of the race for a QB next year. Those teams will still suck but will have their QB. Win win for us.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Absolutely a terrible idea to pick this guy in the first round.

— He's 25 years old.
— He tore his ACL in November, meaning that by the time he's ready to play, he'll likely be 26.
— His receivers in college were schemed to be wide open.
— He's almost useless throwing off script.

Thor Nystrom brought up a very interesting point the other day on Purple Daily. He said that while Hooker is considered a dual threat, he's not really a dual threat. He's either-or. He either throws or he runs. When he runs, he no longer looks to throw. And with good reason.

According to PFF, Hooker was moved off his spot in the pocket 151 times over the past two seasons. In other words, he scrambled. Of those 151 times, he completed 7 passes total. SEVEN.

We complain about Kirk Cousins' lack of ability to make plays off script. By this stat, Hendon Hooker makes Kirk Cousins look like Patrick Mahomes.

One last point ... Nystrom, who studies as much college film as anyone in the business, says that Hooker makes all his reads pre-snap. The play-calling is designed to rid him of the need to read coverage once the ball is in his hands. It's born out by the fact that he almost always throws to his first read. The Vols made a lot of big plays down the field, but those were almost always to receivers who were schemed wide-open. Can he read defenses? Who knows? He's not had to do it in college.

All that in mind, I would never take this guy in the first round. And I'd have to think long and hard about whether I'd take him at all.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:56 pm Absolutely a terrible idea to pick this guy in the first round.

— He's 25 years old.
— He tore his ACL in November, meaning that by the time he's ready to play, he'll likely be 26.

Thor Nystrom brought up a very interesting point the other day on Purple Daily. He said that while Hooker is considered a dual threat, he's not really a dual threat. He's either-or. He either throws or he runs. When he runs, he no longer looks to throw. And with good reason.

According to PFF, Hooker was moved off his spot in the pocket 151 times over the past two seasons. In other words, he scrambled. Of those 151 times, he completed 7 passes total. SEVEN.
I think it should be pointed out that if the offense at Tennessee was based on scheming open receivers, then if the execution of that offense broke down due to pressure on the QB and nobody was open or coming open, there might not be a lot of off-script options.

I'd be a lot more concerned about Hooker if he were asked to improvise in college and struggled rather than he wasn't asked to do it and thus didn't do it. He executed the offense as designed. We really don't know if he can do more unless he is put in a position to do more. We do know he makes good decisions, produces positive plays and doesn't turn the ball over very much.

His age is a concern. Still, if he becomes a franchise NFL QB capable of leading the Vikings to a Superbowl I don't think anyone is going to care how old he was when he was drafted.
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:56 pm One last point ... Nystrom, who studies as much college film as anyone in the business, says that Hooker makes all his reads pre-snap. The play-calling is designed to rid him of the need to read coverage once the ball is in his hands. It's born out by the fact that he almost always throws to his first read. The Vols made a lot of big plays down the field, but those were almost always to receivers who were schemed wide-open. Can he read defenses? Who knows? He's not had to do it in college.
Is Nystrom making the assumption that the play-calling was designed the way it was because the coach felt Hooker couldn't make those reads, or because the coach designed an offense and asked his QB to run it as designed?

This is where having a former pro QB like KOC as the head coach is going to be critical. Hooker might not be able to process the field well with the ball in his hands. Maybe his college coach designed an offense that avoided putting Hooker into a position of weakness because he knew Hooker couldn't do it otherwise. Just looking at it from outside I can't tell, and I doubt Nystrom can either just from watching film.

I'm going to trust KOC on any moves made at QB in the draft. I'm going to trust he'll get the full story and a solid overall perspective on any potential QB he might draft and go from there. There are always potential red flags for almost any QB coming out and those decisions are never risk-free even for the top prospects, but KOC has played the position at the pro level and if anyone should know what it will take for a guy to transition into a solid or even franchise starter at that level, KOC should know. Hopefully if he takes Hooker you'll become a true believer. :smilevike:
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingLord wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:25 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:56 pm Absolutely a terrible idea to pick this guy in the first round.

— He's 25 years old.

I think it should be pointed out that if the offense at Tennessee was based on scheming open receivers, then if the execution of that offense broke down due to pressure on the QB and nobody was open or coming open, there might not be a lot of off-script options.

I'd be a lot more concerned about Hooker if he were asked to improvise in college and struggled rather than he wasn't asked to do it and thus didn't do it. He executed the offense as designed. We really don't know if he can do more unless he is put in a position to do more. We do know he makes good decisions, produces positive plays and doesn't turn the ball over very much.

His age is a concern. Still, if he becomes a franchise NFL QB capable of leading the Vikings to a Superbowl I don't think anyone is going to care how old he was when he was drafted.
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:56 pm One last point ... Nystrom, who studies as much college film as anyone in the business, says that Hooker makes all his reads pre-snap. The play-calling is designed to rid him of the need to read coverage once the ball is in his hands. It's born out by the fact that he almost always throws to his first read. The Vols made a lot of big plays down the field, but those were almost always to receivers who were schemed wide-open. Can he read defenses? Who knows? He's not had to do it in college.
Is Nystrom making the assumption that the play-calling was designed the way it was because the coach felt Hooker couldn't make those reads, or because the coach designed an offense and asked his QB to run it as designed?

This is where having a former pro QB like KOC as the head coach is going to be critical. Hooker might not be able to process the field well with the ball in his hands. Maybe his college coach designed an offense that avoided putting Hooker into a position of weakness because he knew Hooker couldn't do it otherwise. Just looking at it from outside I can't tell, and I doubt Nystrom can either just from watching film.

I'm going to trust KOC on any moves made at QB in the draft. I'm going to trust he'll get the full story and a solid overall perspective on any potential QB he might draft and go from there. There are always potential red flags for almost any QB coming out and those decisions are never risk-free even for the top prospects, but KOC has played the position at the pro level and if anyone should know what it will take for a guy to transition into a solid or even franchise starter at that level, KOC should know. Hopefully if he takes Hooker you'll become a true believer. :smilevike:
Tyler Forness said and wrote the same thing today. It’s the offense. It’s the Veer and Shoot of Josh Heupel. It combines basic principles from the old school veer wishbone modernized with the RPO and base passing concepts of the Run and Shoot. That’s a nightmare for projecting a potential pro quarterback.

The thing with the Veer and Shoot is that it takes thinking out of playing quarterback. Hooker isn’t asked to do anything more than read one player and make a decision. Despite a seemingly simple system for an QB, the entire SEC is saying that Heupel’s offense is hell to stop. And he’s had that kind of success everywhere he’s been, regardless of who his QB is.

With Hooker not having to make reads or go through progressions, it’s a setback at best and a total deal breaker at worst. If you can’t go through progressions in the NFL, you can’t play quarterback. Can Hooker? Nobody knows.

As for his age, I look at this from a long-term roster building position. You hope a player taken in the first is ready to play right away. Even if he’s not, at Hooker’s age of 25, he should be at the beginning of his prime. Not even factoring in his injury, how long is it going to take before Hooker is ready to see the field as the starting quarterback? One year? Two years? Three?

That’s fine for a player who’s 21 when you draft him. He would still start no later than age 24. For Hooker, getting his first starts potentially at age 27-28 is a scary proposition for a player you take with a first round pick.

There is simply no way I’d spent a first on this guy. Your mileage may vary.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Kapp is spot on about Heupel's offense. I love the guy. From 1999 as a player forward to HC at Tennessee. He is very high iq football wise. He schemes a system where WRs are running open. It's not a recent thing. They just have to make one or two reads. His qbs haven't translated to the nfl. Big college numbers. No nfl career. Granted Hooker is the best one hes had as an oc or hc imho. He was Bradford's qb coach...however he wasn't the oc for the team at the time.

Edit, and do agree with VL that if koc wants him, I hope to be wrong, and he turns into an amazing qb.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

So was just watching some highlights of Hooker, Tanner McKee, and actually Clayton Tune.
Obviously I would prefer Bryce, CJ, AR, and Levis, but no guarantee and we have to trade up significantly. So of the other 3, I would prefer Tune. He has good size at 6'2 220, not a little fella and he will run it with that 4.6 speed.
He moves around in the pocket when pressured. I like the arm talent and ability to make the throws in any open window. Again, Houston runs a 4 wide system, so that also is an issue but he displays more athletic ability than others.
McKee doesn't show that to me. He looks like a backup QB in the NFL at best, imo. Very limited athletically. He's stiff.
Hooker, after hearing Thor and reading people's comments, and then watching again.... it is very apparent that he did well in Heupel's system.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:26 pm There is simply no way I’d spent a first on this guy. Your mileage may vary.
Honestly, I'd seriously question taking a QB in the first where the Vikings pick. The top prospects will be long gone and anyone still on the board at that position at #23 would by definition carry some substantial question marks. I would have to heavily lean on the assumption that KOC knows what he's looking for in a prospect if the Vikings went QB there. I also think the odds of KAM trading back in the first or even into the second round are substantially higher than him taking a QB at #23. If the Vikings hold at #23 I think the odds and talent likely to be available at that spot greatly favor them taking a WR, DB or even LB/Edge rusher over a QB. I don't think there is any chance KAM trades up from #23 this year.

I do think the Vikings will move on from Cousins. Not this coming season unless they trade him, but I think they've made up their minds. I think KAM and KOC are clearing the forest so-to-speak and positioning the team for a move at QB in the 2024 draft most likely. This year's draft just doesn't line up well for them at QB. It could be they're willing to take a step back this year to position themselves better to take two steps forward at that spot next offseason.

As all of this relates to Hooker or any QB the Vikings pick in this year's draft if they were to pick one, whether they made that move in the 1st or a later round, I think KOC would have to be pretty high on the player and his prospects. The Vikings don't have a lot of picks in this draft absent further pre-draft moves that might get them some additional picks and have plenty of more pressing holes to fill than QB. So if they did make a move at QB, it would be for a guy who showed them something unique somewhere and they have a real belief in his potential. That's why I'd be OK with the move if they made it.

Not to sidetrack this thread, but I know you live in Iowa and was wondering about your take on Lukas Van Ness. I've seen some mocks with the Vikings taking him and he seems like an intriguing prospect. He strikes me as the kind of player the Vikings can put on the edge and just not have to worry about that side of the DL. Van Ness will play the position the way it needs to be played both in terms of rushing the passer and defending against the run and can do pretty much whatever they want him to do. He sounds like exactly the kind of player the Vikings would want, but I'm curious to get your perspective.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

IIsweet wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:25 pm So was just watching some highlights of Hooker, Tanner McKee, and actually Clayton Tune.
Obviously I would prefer Bryce, CJ, AR, and Levis, but no guarantee and we have to trade up significantly. So of the other 3, I would prefer Tune. He has good size at 6'2 220, not a little fella and he will run it with that 4.6 speed.
He moves around in the pocket when pressured. I like the arm talent and ability to make the throws in any open window. Again, Houston runs a 4 wide system, so that also is an issue but he displays more athletic ability than others.
McKee doesn't show that to me. He looks like a backup QB in the NFL at best, imo. Very limited athletically. He's stiff.
Hooker, after hearing Thor and reading people's comments, and then watching again.... it is very apparent that he did well in Heupel's system.
One thing I will say about this year's QB class is that there are some potential sleepers in the class, and Tune is one of them along with Grayson McCall of Coastal Carolina and Logan Bonner of Utah State. All of them have decent size and show some promise. The question is which of them, if any, can develop into starting QBs as pros? Is there a Brock Purdy in this class who might be discounted for certain reasons entering the draft, but who can develop in the right situation and with the right coaching?

In KOC we're going to have to trust...