Jalen Reagor a Viking

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

Re: Jalen Reagor a Viking

Post by Cliff »

I'm interested to see what Keenan McCardell can do with him. In his rookie season the Eagles WR coach was in his first year in the NFL.

Having other WRs on the team with more experience will help too, I think. In 2020 he had DeSean Jackson and Alshon Jeffery on the team, so maybe I'm overthinking that. But in 2021 the people around Reagor were Rookies or players that had only been in the league 1-2 years.

I think there's a possibility he's still just trying to figure things out and needs more coaching.

Screenshot 2022-09-01 133734.png
Screenshot 2022-09-01 133734.png (29.51 KiB) Viewed 600 times
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

[Pelissero] The #Bears claimed WR Ihmir Smith-Marsette off waivers from the #Vikings, per source.
This is what I suspected might happen. ISM is going to seek to prove us wrong twice a year now. I guess we'll see if Fields can get the ball in his hands.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Texas Vike wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:00 pm
[Pelissero] The #Bears claimed WR Ihmir Smith-Marsette off waivers from the #Vikings, per source.
This is what I suspected might happen. ISM is going to seek to prove us wrong twice a year now. I guess we'll see if Fields can get the ball in his hands.
Man the Bears suck. That makes at least 7 waiver claims showing how bad the talent they had is. I had no doubt that some team would claim ISM and a division rival to get him and learn all our secrets from him is about the worst possible outcome. However, considering Fields is the QB we have nothing to be concerned about.
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

Bears sure love to pick up former Vikings for some reason
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

You forgot about Armon Watts
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Cliff wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:46 pm I'm interested to see what Keenan McCardell can do with him. In his rookie season the Eagles WR coach was in his first year in the NFL.

Having other WRs on the team with more experience will help too, I think. In 2020 he had DeSean Jackson and Alshon Jeffery on the team, so maybe I'm overthinking that. But in 2021 the people around Reagor were Rookies or players that had only been in the league 1-2 years.

I think there's a possibility he's still just trying to figure things out and needs more coaching.

I went back to read the Walterfootball eval on him before the 2020 draft. For reference, Walterfootball had him as their 8th ranked WR (Jefferson was their 5th ranked WR):

https://www.walterfootball.com/draft2020WR.php

Some highlights from that eval:
He burned cornerbacks all season and got open deep downfield for long touchdown receptions, but TCU's terrible quarterback play missed him constantly. With a competent quarterback, Reagor would be have had a massive 2019 season with a lot of long touchdowns.
The ultra-fast Reagor can take the top off of a defense and is a threat to score anytime he touches the ball.
Team sources say that Reagor has no clue how to run a route and will need to be coached up on that, but he has game-breaking speed that is hard to find.
Curious if the QB play in Philly also impacted his early results. Maybe Cousins can get more out of him. Also evidence Reagor needed some coaching, and maybe he didn't get that in Philly either.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsFan84 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:05 pm Bears sure love to pick up former Vikings for some reason
Isn't it usually the other way around with WRs though?

Hopefully it works out as well for them as it has for us in the past.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

This is a worthwhile listen about Reagor. Thor knows his stuff.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:04 pm

Man the Bears suck. That makes at least 7 waiver claims showing how bad the talent they had is. I had no doubt that some team would claim ISM and a division rival to get him and learn all our secrets from him is about the worst possible outcome. However, considering Fields is the QB we have nothing to be concerned about.
This Bear half arse reloading is the best break Fields could get. Can't expect much from the guy with nothing around him. Maybe there hoping for a top 5 pick. This is a silent fold for the pick position and another QB. They cycle through them.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

VikingLord wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:03 am
Cliff wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:46 pm I'm interested to see what Keenan McCardell can do with him. In his rookie season the Eagles WR coach was in his first year in the NFL.

I went back to read the Walterfootball eval on him before the 2020 draft. For reference, Walterfootball had him as their 8th ranked WR (Jefferson was their 5th ranked WR):

https://www.walterfootball.com/draft2020WR.php

Some highlights from that eval:
He burned cornerbacks all season and got open deep downfield for long touchdown receptions, but TCU's terrible quarterback play missed him constantly. With a competent quarterback, Reagor would be have had a massive 2019 season with a lot of long touchdowns.
The ultra-fast Reagor can take the top off of a defense and is a threat to score anytime he touches the ball.
Team sources say that Reagor has no clue how to run a route and will need to be coached up on that, but he has game-breaking speed that is hard to find.
Curious if the QB play in Philly also impacted his early results. Maybe Cousins can get more out of him. Also evidence Reagor needed some coaching, and maybe he didn't get that in Philly either.
I hate that last quote.
Sounds like Troy Williamson.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Cliff wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:26 pm
It will be interesting to see how many snaps Reagor gets on offense. I expect his major contribution to be in the punt return game, and I think he has the potential to be a game breaker in that role.

In KAM we trust...
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingLord wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:24 pm
Cliff wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:26 pm

It will be interesting to see how many snaps Reagor gets on offense. I expect his major contribution to be in the punt return game, and I think he has the potential to be a game breaker in that role.

In KAM we trust...
He was a very average punt returner for Philly in 2021 and I don't expect that to change here. 50th out of 78 players with a punt return and if you limit that to just guys who did all the punt returns for their team he was 13th out of 15. Looks like he has had 2 nice punt returns in his 2 year career and done very little outside of those two.

Edit: Average is still probably an upgrade over ISM who I didn't like at all as a returner.
Last edited by StumpHunter on Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:36 pm
VikingLord wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:24 pm

In KAM we trust...
He was a very average punt returner for Philly in 2021 and I don't expect that to change here. 50th out of 78 players with a punt return and if you limit that to just guys who did all the punt returns for their team he was 13th out of 15. Looks like he has had 2 nice punt returns in his 2 year career and done very little outside of those two.
Why do you think KAM made the move then? He doesn't strike me as someone who would give up draft picks to acquire a guy who would be an objective downgrade at the position. Are you thinking he is looking at him as a receiver more than just a punt returner?
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingLord wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:41 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:36 pm

Why do you think KAM made the move then? He doesn't strike me as someone who would give up draft picks to acquire a guy who would be an objective downgrade at the position. Are you thinking he is looking at him as a receiver more than just a punt returner?
I think KAM scouted Reagor and Blacklock coming out of college and really liked them as prospects. He is putting more of an emphasis on that than what either has done in the pros for two years, for better or worse.

I also updated my comment above that even though Reagor is an average punt returner, average is still better than anything we had.
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

Just a thought. It would be so cool if it worked out similarly.

I mentioned cris Carter coming to Minnesota cheap. Like 100 dollars. Many here. Could be to young to recall...

WHo did we make the trade with to get Reagor. Philadelphia.

Just recalled it was the Eagles who gave us Cris Carter in the 100 steal. I wonder how many Eagle fans regretted letting him go for nothing.

Wouldn’t it be cool if Reagor became a stud receiver.
Would love Eagle fans regretting letting Reagor go.

I even hope those two draft picks do well

Will be interesting. Cousins could be a major asset to Reagor.

I liked Hurts at Bama. As I mentioned before. Bama having Hurts who took Bama to the championship game. They replaced him with Tua the next.

Hurts is not a great passing QB.