Vikings trade for DT Ross Blacklock

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Vikings trade for DT Ross Blacklock

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Surprisingly the Vikings just cut Armon Watts but traded for DT Ross Blacklock. Blacklock is not good against the run but a solid interior pass rusher. Honestly seems like the same player as Watts but more so a salary move. Watts got an escalator on his contract due to his play last year so getting Blacklock instead actually saves us money.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings trade for DT Ross Blacklock

Post by StumpHunter »

What the heck? Watts appears to be the better player in every facet of the game.

I am wondering if the coaching staff looked at Watts tape and saw a lot of schemed pressures last year instead of him actually winning on his blocks?

Just weird to trade for a guy who has looked so bad for 2 seasons.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

He was the lowest graded player on Houston's defense this preseason. I guess we know why they were willing to move on...
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

Blacklock is really really bad. They saved some money but lost the better DL. Odd choice for KAM.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Blacklock had an amazing career at TCU. He was on Houston, an absolutely horrendous team, so I wouldn't read too much into his stats there. A change of scenery will do him good. I like this trade.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

I am with you Texas Vike. A change of scenery can do wonders for a player.
From the Viking fans surface, it is odd.... but obviously the Vikings Coaches and Scouts see it differently. Hoping that they are right once again.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

I am with you Texas Vike. A change of scenery can do wonders for a player.
From the Viking fans surface, it is odd.... but obviously the Vikings Coaches and Scouts see it differently. Hoping that they are right once again.
Also, there's a reason why he went #40 overall in his draft !!!
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

I can not complain much about this trade since it is a low risk, high reward trade
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

IIsweet wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:00 pm I am with you Texas Vike. A change of scenery can do wonders for a player.
Also, there's a reason why he went #40 overall in his draft !!!
Mond was a 3rd rd pick, and now he's been cut. Bradburry is a 1st rd pick and has stunk his whole time here. Doesnt matter where you are drafted. It matters how you can handle the NFL.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Texas Vike wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:47 pm Blacklock had an amazing career at TCU. He was on Houston, an absolutely horrendous team, so I wouldn't read too much into his stats there. A change of scenery will do him good. I like this trade.
Yeah I’m not too sure when it comes to looking at his Houston tape. That team was pretty bad. I liked watts for sure. But maybe they think Blacklock fits this defense better than Watts did.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Texas Vike wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:47 pm Blacklock had an amazing career at TCU. He was on Houston, an absolutely horrendous team, so I wouldn't read too much into his stats there. A change of scenery will do him good. I like this trade.
Is the fact the Texans were so bad and were still willing to part ways with Blacklock a negative? This isn't a stacked team letting go of a guy they just don't have room for, this is a terrible team that felt Blacklock was the worst of a bad bunch.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:46 am
Is the fact the Texans were so bad and were still willing to part ways with Blacklock a negative? This isn't a stacked team letting go of a guy they just don't have room for, this is a terrible team that felt Blacklock was the worst of a bad bunch.
Could the defensive scheme change explain the move to release Watts and acquire Blacklock? I'm honestly asking your opinion on that question because it seems like it could be a reasonable explanation for a move like that. Maybe KAM is just playing a little Moneyball and traded for a guy who fits the role the Vikings have in mind better than Watts even if on the whole Watts is a better player.

KAM strikes me as very calculating in terms of the moves he's making. That might not be a bad thing if the end result is a better overall team.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

VikingLord wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:01 am
Could the defensive scheme change explain the move to release Watts and acquire Blacklock? I'm honestly asking your opinion on that question because it seems like it could be a reasonable explanation for a move like that. Maybe KAM is just playing a little Moneyball and traded for a guy who fits the role the Vikings have in mind better than Watts even if on the whole Watts is a better player.

KAM strikes me as very calculating in terms of the moves he's making. That might not be a bad thing if the end result is a better overall team.
I think the scheme change definitely plays a factor. And yeah the moneyball thing could be real here as well. I honestly dont think we got any better or any worse because of this move. But saved 1.2 mill. So again, I'm fine with it.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

I don't like the Blacklock move at all. I consider it with the dropping of Watts to be Kwesi's first significant blunder. That said Blacklock just 2 years ago was considered a great talent. It's possible that he can bounce back in the right environment. There's more to it than just looking at the stats. Same with Reagor. Time will tell.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:10 am

I think the scheme change definitely plays a factor. And yeah the moneyball thing could be real here as well. I honestly dont think we got any better or any worse because of this move. But saved 1.2 mill. So again, I'm fine with it.
I'm confused with how this saved us money. Blacklock being a 2nd round pick I would think would have a bigger contract than Watts.