Jalen Reagor a Viking

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Re: Jalen Reagor a Viking

Post by VikingsFan84 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:33 pm I hear we waived Smith-Marsette to make room for Reagor. Not looking good. Almost Identical to the Watts for Blacklock move. We kept Nailor over Smith-Marsette is very surprising.
Damn, I do not like that
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:33 pm I hear we waived Smith-Marsette to make room for Reagor. Not looking good. Almost Identical to the Watts for Blacklock move. We kept Nailor over Smith-Marsette is very surprising.
Wait, what? We waved ISM?

The trade for Reagor, I can see. The guy was drafted in the first round and hasn't exactly had the best quarterbacks throwing to him. He can also return punts. But Smith-Marsette not only has tons of upside, but he's also had a great camp except for punt returns.

I mean, if he's getting waived because he can't field punts, neither could Jalen Nailor ... and he doesn't have a 100-yard game in the NFL regular season like ISM does.

Really hoping there's a method to this madness. I guess the upside is that he gets coaching from Keenan McCardell and mentoring from Adam Thielen (and, weirdly enough, Justin Jefferson). Wouldn't it be wild if Reagor became a star, after all the crap he's taken for being picked ahead of JJ?

Truly an eventful week.
Last edited by J. Kapp 11 on Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I'm not as high on ISM as most here. I don't think he's anything special. Reason has way more potential and I have faith in our coaching staff to get it out of him.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:23 pm I'm not as high on ISM as most here. I don't think he's anything special. Reason has way more potential and I have faith in our coaching staff to get it out of him.
That is my thing to. The potential in Reagor is much higher than ISM in my opinion. And honestly even dating back to TCU Reagor hasn’t had much of a pure passer throwing to him. I don’t mind the move. As someone stated above, it’s similar to the Blacklock/Watts situation.

So if worst comes to worst, Reagor settled as a #4 and gives us about the same production as ISM would have and is more dynamic on punt returns. If we crack that unseen potential in Reagor, 4 WR sets could look dangerous in this offense. That’s really what it boils down to.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Reagor is ridiculously fast, strong, and a great leaper as well. He hasn't performed up to his athletic ability in the NFL so far.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Reagor is a physical specimen. Was at tcu. Kirk is easily the best qb arm he's played with from college to now. So in that regard he could benefit.

Also agree he has more upside than ism.

Texas Vike, up i-35 from you in sooner country. Agree completely with your statement about big 12 translating. Dead on imo. The schemes don't benefit the defenses, that's for sure.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

ISM has more 100 yard games in the regular season than the current #3/4/5 WRs combined. He played significant snaps in just two games last season and did more than any WR not named JJ and Thielen have done in a single game despite a lot more opportunities.

His yards per route run was 2nd on the team last season despite never being anything better than the 4th option on any given play at 1.78.

Jaelen Reagor was 110 out of 110 qualified receivers in yards per route run in 2021. Nearly a full yard less than Watkins and Smith on the same team at .67.

This year in preseason ISM was a standout in camp and caught 11 of 12 targets for 121 yards from two terrible QBs.

Reagor by all accounts had a good camp as well, but only caught 5 of 8 for 43 from two of the best backup QBs in the NFL in preseason.

Reagor is a really bad WR, who might be able to contribute returning punts, ISM was a really bad punt returner who might be able to contribute to catching passes.

I know which one I go with every time.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:12 pm Reagor is ridiculously fast, strong, and a great leaper as well. He hasn't performed up to his athletic ability in the NFL so far.
He is also great at dropping passes.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Here's where I'm at: I don't question the choice to trade for Reagor. I know his talent and potential. He has NFL level speed and ability to juke guys. A change of scenery from the toxic Philly media and fan circus is likely to do him a lot of good.

The main issue here is Nailor vs. ISM, and that's where I question Kwesi's judgement. ISM passed the eye test and had the look of someone ready to launch into a contributing role. I think it would be impossible to argue at this point that Nailor is objectively better. With ISM's famous front flip EZ celebration which caused him an injury act as a metaphor for what kind of guy he is... and seeing how he would celebrate mundane catches in preseason games, I'm left to wonder if he just wasn't a good fit culture-wise or if KOC and KAM had character concerns about him. This is all speculation and may be off base. It might well come down to his inability to adequately return punts, something they view as essential for your WR4 and WR5. If there WASN'T a character concern, I think they made a mistake keeping Nailor ahead of ISM.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Texas Vike wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:12 am Here's where I'm at: I don't question the choice to trade for Reagor. I know his talent and potential. He has NFL level speed and ability to juke guys. A change of scenery from the toxic Philly media and fan circus is likely to do him a lot of good.

The main issue here is Nailor vs. ISM, and that's where I question Kwesi's judgement. ISM passed the eye test and had the look of someone ready to launch into a contributing role. I think it would be impossible to argue at this point that Nailor is objectively better. With ISM's famous front flip EZ celebration which caused him an injury act as a metaphor for what kind of guy he is... and seeing how he would celebrate mundane catches in preseason games, I'm left to wonder if he just wasn't a good fit culture-wise or if KOC and KAM had character concerns about him. This is all speculation and may be off base. It might well come down to his inability to adequately return punts, something they view as essential for your WR4 and WR5. If there WASN'T a character concern, I think they made a mistake keeping Nailor ahead of ISM.
Nailor was their pick which gave an advantage. I liked ISM upside and he was just getting started. We'll see if any team picks him up. They gave up nothing for Reagor so it's not a bad deal. He basically busted in Philly. If he sucks he's gone. No different than most 7th round picks. If he manages to do something it will cost another pick. It's worth the roll of the dice.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:41 am
Texas Vike wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:12 am Here's where I'm at: I don't question the choice to trade for Reagor. I know his talent and potential. He has NFL level speed and ability to juke guys. A change of scenery from the toxic Philly media and fan circus is likely to do him a lot of good.

Nailor was their pick which gave an advantage. I liked ISM upside and he was just getting started. We'll see if any team picks him up. They gave up nothing for Reagor so it's not a bad deal. He basically busted in Philly. If he sucks he's gone. No different than most 7th round picks. If he manages to do something it will cost another pick. It's worth the roll of the dice.
They gave up a 5th and a 7th rounder for him. It is a little more than nothing.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I heard that ISM was a bit of a loose cannon off the field and might have rubbed some of his teammates (and possibly coaches) the wrong way. Not sure if that is true but if so it could explain the move as well.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Great analysis. As for over celebrating IMO Stefon Diggs is the biggest over celebrator in the NFL, but he does OK.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:41 am

His physical capabilities make him worth the very slight risk and if he's a great PR and nothing else he was worth it. I'm hopeful of him contributing as a WR also.
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

This is adding onto my previous, I do not know if Reagor is a answer. But the last two years Hurts was the QBs, He won with Bama, even after a championship year he was replaced by Tua. Bama wanted him to throw more, but so often would scramble for yards.

Two years with the Eagles, he passed for 4300 yards. 58% completion rate. Cousins threw for more yardage in one season than Hurts did in two years...

Does fault fall on Reagor, or does it on a poor QB. Or passing game,

Didn’t we get Chris Carter for akmost nothing. Different situation, But would they have gotten rid of carter had they foreseen the future...