The JC Tretter situation

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

The JC Tretter situation

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Many of us in Vikings fanland are looking forward to seeing the changes Kevin O’Connell brings to the team, particularly on offense.

But as we all know, the offense will only go as far as the offensive line will take them. And that will largely be determined by the weakest link, which is Garrett Bradbury at center.

There have been many calls for the Vikings to sign former Browns center JC Tretter, PFF’s 5th-ranked center for 2021. Tretter, a free agent, has not signed with any team, and recently announced his retirement from the NFL.

Naturally, people have wondered why no one has signed a player of his caliber. The prevailing assumption is that his knees are shot, but in a recent interview with Sports Illustrated, Tretter has refuted that, saying his problematic right knee healed on its own during the 2021 season and did not require any significant treatment after Week 8.

Other interview highlights:

— Tretter said his agent called six teams, including the Vikings. None returned his call.

— He said that he grew up a Vikings fan and wanted to play for the Vikings. They would have been his first choice.

— Tretter said his salary requirements were very modest, not veteran minimum but under value for a player of his ability.

When asked about the situation, Kevin O’Connell said he was unaware that Tretter had been in contact with the Vikings. Interestingly enough, Kwesi Adofo-Mensah made the same claim.

Here’s what I want to know. WHY? Why didn’t the Vikings talk with him? Why didn’t they bring him in for a physical? And how is it possible that KOC and KAM didn’t know that Tretter had called? It’s not like they’re sold on Bradbury.

Judd Zulgad, former Star Tribune Vikings reporter and co-host of Purple Daily, has a theory …
Anyone convinced that JC Tretter isn’t unemployed in large part because of his position with the NFLPA doesn’t understand how vindictive this league can be. It’s a fun sport but an absolutely brutal business. His health is a convenient way to avoid claims of collusion.
Tretter is president of the NFLPA, the players’ union. Zulgad is saying that the NFL is colluding to keep him out of the league.

Now … I don’t always think Judd Zulgad is playing with a full deck. He is perhaps the most cynical sports media personality I know. But his assertion makes me wonder … if KOC and KAM are telling the truth, then why didn’t they get the message?

Basically, were the Wilfs involved?

We could pass this off as “what difference does it make?” But with the skill position players we have, and the potential improvement to the rest of the O-line, and assuming better play calling, I would be pissed if Garrett Bradbury’s ineptitude derails the season — and the Vikings could’ve done something about it.

It’s likely we’ll never know the full truth. But Ziggy and Mark Wilf should hope that Vikings fans never find out they colluded to keep a Pro Bowl caliber center off the Vikings roster, simply for political and financial purposes.

Thoughts?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: The JC Tretter situation

Post by Texas Vike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:36 pm Many of us in Vikings fanland are looking forward to seeing the changes Kevin O’Connell brings to the team, particularly on offense.

But as we all know, the offense will only go as far as the offensive line will take them. And that will largely be determined by the weakest link, which is Garrett Bradbury at center.

There have been many calls for the Vikings to sign former Browns center JC Tretter, PFF’s 5th-ranked center for 2021. Tretter, a free agent, has not signed with any team, and recently announced his retirement from the NFL.

Naturally, people have wondered why no one has signed a player of his caliber. The prevailing assumption is that his knees are shot, but in a recent interview with Sports Illustrated, Tretter has refuted that, saying his problematic right knee healed on its own during the 2021 season and did not require any significant treatment after Week 8.

Other interview highlights:

— Tretter said his agent called six teams, including the Vikings. None returned his call.

— He said that he grew up a Vikings fan and wanted to play for the Vikings. They would have been his first choice.

— Tretter said his salary requirements were very modest, not veteran minimum but under value for a player of his ability.

When asked about the situation, Kevin O’Connell said he was unaware that Tretter had been in contact with the Vikings. Interestingly enough, Kwesi Adofo-Mensah made the same claim.

Here’s what I want to know. WHY? Why didn’t the Vikings talk with him? Why didn’t they bring him in for a physical? And how is it possible that KOC and KAM didn’t know that Tretter had called? It’s not like they’re sold on Bradbury.

Judd Zulgad, former Star Tribune Vikings reporter and co-host of Purple Daily, has a theory …
Anyone convinced that JC Tretter isn’t unemployed in large part because of his position with the NFLPA doesn’t understand how vindictive this league can be. It’s a fun sport but an absolutely brutal business. His health is a convenient way to avoid claims of collusion.
Tretter is president of the NFLPA, the players’ union. Zulgad is saying that the NFL is colluding to keep him out of the league.

Now … I don’t always think Judd Zulgad is playing with a full deck. He is perhaps the most cynical sports media personality I know. But his assertion makes me wonder … if KOC and KAM are telling the truth, then why didn’t they get the message?

Basically, were the Wilfs involved?

We could pass this off as “what difference does it make?” But with the skill position players we have, and the potential improvement to the rest of the O-line, and assuming better play calling, I would be pissed if Garrett Bradbury’s ineptitude derails the season — and the Vikings could’ve done something about it.

It’s likely we’ll never know the full truth. But Ziggy and Mark Wilf should hope that Vikings fans never find out they colluded to keep a Pro Bowl caliber center off the Vikings roster, simply for political and financial purposes.

Thoughts?
Great post, Kapp. Here's the Sports Illustrated article at the heart of this: https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/08/25/jc-tr ... aily-cover
Some key quotes:
“Guys would be like, ‘Oh, like how are your knees doing?’” Tretter, now 31, recalls. “And I always said, ‘My NFLPA job is gonna end my career well before my knees end my career.’”
As his former Cleveland linemate Joel Bitonio recently told reporters at Browns training camp: “When you have a guy that’s top-five, top-10 at center in the league and he’s not on a roster, and he's the NFLPA president … it seems a little suspicious to me.”
I don't want to quote the whole article... there is A LOT to take in, so I strongly suggest reading it. It looks pretty clear that the comish did not like having to deal with organized labor making demands and so they blackballed him. That seems obvious to me.

Lastly: Purple Insider (podcast) did a great episode (today, I think) in which they covered this too. They also analyze the Manti Te'o documentary on Netflix. Worthwhile.
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

Does it really matter? Other teams have not signed him also, please move on from Tretter
Lash Man
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Lash Man »

That boy is being Black Balled no doubt in my mind and the NFL better be prepared for a very large law suite coming their way for collusion .
LETS GO VIKINGS ! :rock:
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingsFan84 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:52 pm Does it really matter? Other teams have not signed him also, please move on from Tretter
Well, I know my post was long, but I addressed your question.

You can say it doesn’t matter, and I suppose at this point it’s water under the bridge. But again, what if poor center play derails our season, and the 5th-ranked center in football WANTED to play for the Vikings but was blackballed by a collusion effort between the league and its owners? Are you honestly going to tell me that doesn’t matter?

If so, then I suggest you ignore this thread.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:42 pm
VikingsFan84 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:52 pm Does it really matter? Other teams have not signed him also, please move on from Tretter

You can say it doesn’t matter, and I suppose at this point it’s water under the bridge. But again, what if poor center play derails our season, and the 5th-ranked center in football WANTED to play for the Vikings but was blackballed by a collusion effort between the league and its owners? Are you honestly going to tell me that doesn’t matter?

Blame it on O'Connell for starting Bradbury if it happens and #### happens so there is nothing we can do, like I said, move on already
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingsFan84 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:17 pm

Blame it on O'Connell for starting Bradbury if it happens and #### happens so there is nothing we can do, like I said, move on already
With all due respect, what I and others discuss is not your call. So I won’t be moving on.

If you don’t like it, then don’t read it.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:10 pm
VikingsFan84 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:17 pm

With all due respect, what I and others discuss is not your call. So I won’t be moving on.

Well, with due respect, you need professional help if you will not move on, it is just a game
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Lash Man wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:08 pm That boy is being Black Balled no doubt in my mind and the NFL better be prepared for a very large law suite coming their way for collusion .
I don't buy it for a second. The owners aren't that united. If one team really thought he could help them they would have signed him.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Sorry Kapp, but I don't believe the owners are that united. Think about how unlikely it is. First they would have to be 100% united in this. For that to happen there would have to be back alley conversations regarding it going on. Then with that in place they would have to be 100% scumbags. Yeah I know all rich people are scumbags no other possible reason they're rich right (sarcasm). Then they have to be willing to chance the inevitable court cases accusing them of collusion and blackballing. No way is he being blackballed or any collusion is going on.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

VikingsFan84 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:26 pm

Well, with due respect, you need professional help if you will not move on, it is just a game
I think it’s a fair discussion. Nobody asked you to read it
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:00 pm

I think it’s a fair discussion. Nobody asked you to read it
I have the right to read it so get over it
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

The Vikings probably have the worst starting center in the league. To not kick the tires on this guy is either inept or suspicious for the reasons others brought up. Either way it appears he won't be playing anytime soon if he ever does again.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

If anyone needs professional help it's you. Who goes into a topic they're not interested in and then complains that the topic is happening? As if you couldn't have just not read it.

Nobody cares that you don't care. Move on.
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

Cliff wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:43 am

If anyone needs professional help it's you. Who goes into a topic they're not interested in and then complains that the topic is happening? As if you couldn't have just not read it.

Nobody cares that you don't care. Move on.
I already got professional help but since you replied to my post, you obviously care