Vikings Training Camp 2022

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings Training Camp 2022

Post by CharVike »

Mike Zimmer is headed to Jackson State to coach with Deion Sanders.
“He’s asked me about it a few times,” Zimmer said. “The pay’s not good. But I do love Deion and I’d do anything for him.”
Good for him.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... son-state/
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Some tweets from people covering today’s joint Vikings-49ers practice.
Ed Ingram has taken over the RG spot with the Vikings first team offense.
Wow. After competing a pass in 11-on-11, Kirk Cousins exclaims “You like that… you (bleepin) like that!”

Very loud, very clear.
#Vikings LT Christian Darrisaw is holding his ground against #49ers DE Nick Bosa.
The 49ers defensive backs were extremely physical and committed an endless amount of penalties.. whenever they didn’t they just couldn’t stop the Vikings wide receivers.
Two minute drill 3rd down Cousins finds Jefferson on the sideline and he goes for a long gain after shaking his defender who was holding him anyway.. you can’t single cover JJ.
Nice play call by O’Connell, a rollout to his left and Cousins finds Johnny Mundt for the TD in red zone drills.
Another nice play call by O’Connell, now with Jefferson in motion, Cousins finds him in the corner for the easy TD.. niners didn’t like it and defensive player slammed JJ to the ground hard.
Pocket collapses in the middle and Cousins has to throw it on the ground. Garrett Bradbury looks all around him looking for answers.
Quite a few other tweets, but the bottom line is that the offense is apparently looking really good against the Niners, whether it’s the 1s, 2s or whoever. When was the last time our offense dominated on of these joint practices? Last year we couldn’t even score a TD in the preseason until the last game. Amazing what happens when the offense is more than just an afterthought or a necessary evil.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:41 pm Quite a few other tweets, but the bottom line is that the offense is apparently looking really good against the Niners, whether it’s the 1s, 2s or whoever. When was the last time our offense dominated on of these joint practices? Last year we couldn’t even score a TD in the preseason until the last game. Amazing what happens when the offense is more than just an afterthought or a necessary evil.
Thanks for sharing those. Couple of additional comments:

- Ingram looks like not only will he win the starting RG spot, but he looks like he can make an impact there. Pretty rare to find an impact starter in any draft, but to get one where the Vikings took Ingram is impressive IMHO. And how long has it been since the RG position was a position of strength and not a liability? If the first preseason game against the Raiders was any indication, good things are going to happen for the Vikings offense this year if Ingram locks that position down.

- Along those lines, how much better can the offense be with a healthy Irv Smith? Let's hope he's ready to go against the Packers.

- Vikings seem truly blessed this season with starting talent and depth at both WR and RB. The Vikings have historically had some great starting talent at those spots, but it's been a long time since it appeared they had great depth at them as well. I was worried heading into the season at the WR depth, but I'm not so worried now.

- Also impressed at the early returns on Booth and Cine. Even if Cine doesn't win the starting spot opposite Smith, if you listen to him talk about it, he's very mature. Same for Booth. I admit I was worried when the Vikings drafted Booth, but the guy grows on me with each play and interview. He's not cocky and it's clear he loves the game and wants to compete.

I'm always a fan of this team and even if I get down on them at times I will never give up on them. That said, I'm not always optimistic about their chances heading into a season, and with the Packers having Rodgers and having owned the North for the last several seasons, it's hard to believe that the outcome for the Vikings will be any different this season. But, this team just has a different vibe to it even if a lot of the players are the same. I'm not sure what has changed. Yes, they have different coaches and a different GM, but the vibe I get is from the players more than the coaches or GM. It just seems like they've got a good mix of personalities and experience and want to be out there. It's not just showing up and punching the clock, which is a feel I got from them for the last several seasons.

Hard to say if that will translate into more wins or post season success, but the last time I got a similar vibe was back in 2017 when Keenum was the QB. That team also had a lightness about it and players that seemed to be enjoying themselves and enjoying playing the game. Man, would be great to see that result in success again.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:41 pm Some tweets from people covering today’s joint Vikings-49ers practice.
Ed Ingram has taken over the RG spot with the Vikings first team offense.
Wow. After competing a pass in 11-on-11, Kirk Cousins exclaims “You like that… you (bleepin) like that!”

Very loud, very clear.
#Vikings LT Christian Darrisaw is holding his ground against #49ers DE Nick Bosa.
The 49ers defensive backs were extremely physical and committed an endless amount of penalties.. whenever they didn’t they just couldn’t stop the Vikings wide receivers.
Two minute drill 3rd down Cousins finds Jefferson on the sideline and he goes for a long gain after shaking his defender who was holding him anyway.. you can’t single cover JJ.
Nice play call by O’Connell, a rollout to his left and Cousins finds Johnny Mundt for the TD in red zone drills.
Another nice play call by O’Connell, now with Jefferson in motion, Cousins finds him in the corner for the easy TD.. niners didn’t like it and defensive player slammed JJ to the ground hard.
Pocket collapses in the middle and Cousins has to throw it on the ground. Garrett Bradbury looks all around him looking for answers.
Quite a few other tweets, but the bottom line is that the offense is apparently looking really good against the Niners, whether it’s the 1s, 2s or whoever. When was the last time our offense dominated on of these joint practices? Last year we couldn’t even score a TD in the preseason until the last game. Amazing what happens when the offense is more than just an afterthought or a necessary evil.
I've got to believe Cousins actually said the word bleepin. He doesn't say that other word. Anyway nice report.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:45 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:41 pm Some tweets from people covering today’s joint Vikings-49ers practice.

I've got to believe Cousins actually said the word bleepin. He doesn't say that other word. Anyway nice report.
According to other reports, it WAS the f-word.

I know. Totally un-Cousins like. But that’s what people in attendance were saying.

I have to wonder if Cousins isn’t just having a blast with coaches who value what he brings, and who are designing an offense that plays to his strengths.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:08 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:45 pm

I know. Totally un-Cousins like. But that’s what people in attendance were saying.

I have to wonder if Cousins isn’t just having a blast with coaches who value what he brings, and who are designing an offense that plays to his strengths.
You mean an offense with a strong run game and heavy PA like we have had the past 3 seasons?

The guy says his catch phrase with the F word included. Totally for the media, totally calculated, total robot Cousins.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:43 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:08 pm

You mean an offense with a strong run game and heavy PA like we have had the past 3 seasons?

The guy says his catch phrase with the F word included. Totally for the media, totally calculated, total robot Cousins.
Or.......

He's out there having a blast with his guys and loving the competition. Without giving a crap about the media. Like 99% of professional athletes. I swear some of you guys think football teams are like Hollywood or something.

I don't care what Cousins said or his reasons for doing so. I love the competition and look forward to these guys bringing out the best in each other for the sake of winning. I'd bet my life savings there's not a player out there who cares about the media more than he cares about winning. :confused:
i'm ready for a beer.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

vikeinmontana wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:55 am

Or.......

He's out there having a blast with his guys and loving the competition. Without giving a crap about the media. Like 99% of professional athletes. I swear some of you guys think football teams are like Hollywood or something.

I don't care what Cousins said or his reasons for doing so. I love the competition and look forward to these guys bringing out the best in each other for the sake of winning. I'd bet my life savings there's not a player out there who cares about the media more than he cares about winning. :confused:
I admire Cousins for his stances and to be honest him using the F Bomb is a bit disappointing. Maybe he is frustrated with not being "One of the Boys". It's mind boggling though that our resident Cousins detractor Stump uses an instance of Cousins actually letting go of his control to call him calculating and and a robot.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Or.......

Ah yes, because it is totally natural and normal for someone to say their own catch phrase when they get excited.

It is showmanship and it isn't for the players around him or because he is having tons of fun, it is for the media and the fans.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:05 am

Or.......

I admire Cousins for his stances and to be honest him using the F Bomb is a bit disappointing. Maybe he is frustrated with not being "One of the Boys". It's mind boggling though that our resident Cousins detractor Stump uses an instance of Cousins actually letting go of his control to call him calculating and and a robot.
I get what you're saying, but don't have an issue with a guy swearing. We know the book on Kirk. But I've never gotten the impression that he is some kind of angel out there. Mild mannered. Religious. Family man. I get all that. But I can assure you this isn't the first time he's sworn playing football.

I have played in enough church rec leagues to know guys can be great humans, religious people, all around great role models; and yet when the competitive juices get flowing you might be shocked what you hear. :lol:
i'm ready for a beer.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

vikeinmontana wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:18 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:05 am
I get what you're saying, but don't have an issue with a guy swearing. We know the book on Kirk. But I've never gotten the impression that he is some kind of angel out there. Mild mannered. Religious. Family man. I get all that. But I can assure you this isn't the first time he's sworn playing football.

I have played in enough church rec leagues to know guys can be great humans, religious people, all around great role models; and yet when the competitive juices get flowing you might be shocked what you hear. :lol:
Yeah, but just a little disappointing.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Or.......

Kirk ain't fooling nobody particularly Stump. We all know about his HUGE history as a media panderer. :roll: :whistle: :rofl:
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:13 am

Or.......

Ah yes, because it is totally natural and normal for someone to say their own catch phrase when they get excited.

It is showmanship and it isn't for the players around him or because he is having tons of fun, it is for the media and the fans.
It is totally natural and normal in sports settings. I have seen it many times with no media present.

Even the "catchphrase" was media driven. It's not like he contacted media outlets prior and said he was going to yell "you like that?!" after getting a huge win. It was competitive juices. It was an awesome moment. It stuck. So ya, maybe it's his thing. Maybe he says it all the time now? Do you have any way of knowing he doesn't? Some of you act like because you cheer for a team you know these guys. Know their personalities. Know their motivations. Know how they are in practice and the locker room. I sure don't know these things. But I played sports through college and have seen these situations play out many times. And it was never for the media.

For all you know it is a running joke between the players? Maybe he told his offense he was going to score a TD and yell "You #### Like That?" after he did? Who knows? Apparently only you and Kirk know his intentions. :lol:
i'm ready for a beer.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

I think its a good thing. Im sure 90% of guys say the F word every day, as well as screaming it occasional. Maybe Kirk is opening up a bit.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

vikeinmontana wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:01 am
StumpHunter wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:13 am

It is totally natural and normal in sports settings. I have seen it many times with no media present.

Even the "catchphrase" was media driven. It's not like he contacted media outlets prior and said he was going to yell "you like that?!" after getting a huge win. It was competitive juices. It was an awesome moment. It stuck. So ya, maybe it's his thing. Maybe he says it all the time now? Do you have any way of knowing he doesn't? Some of you act like because you cheer for a team you know these guys. Know their personalities. Know their motivations. Know how they are in practice and the locker room. I sure don't know these things. But I played sports through college and have seen these situations play out many times. And it was never for the media.

For all you know it is a running joke between the players? Maybe he told his offense he was going to score a TD and yell "You #### Like That?" after he did? Who knows? Apparently only you and Kirk know his intentions. :lol:
https://www.nfl.com/news/kirk-cousins-f ... 0000607295

Yep, it is the media driving the catch phrase thing.

Just to be clear, I don't have an issue with Kirk saying something meant to entertain while playing a sport that is meant to entertain. I do find it pretty funny that people draw conclusions about what the offense is going to be like from it though.