Vikings Training Camp 2022

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings Training Camp 2022

Post by StumpHunter »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:16 pm
Bowhunting Viking wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:17 pm I just read on PFT that Irv Smith had to have surgery on his thumb this morning. That stinks.
According to one source, he's going to be ready for Week 1.

As far as I'm concerned, the Vikings should do like the Rams and sit all the starters for the preseason. Can't lose anyone to injury that way, at least not from playing in the games.
From a football standpoint that makes sense since preseason means nothing, but if they do that then the Vikings shouldn't force season ticket holders to purchase games where no starters play.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:15 pm The Skor North guys talk all things Vikings Training Camp. Towards the end they discuss that it's looking like Chris Reed will supplant Bradbury at Center.

They do a good show. They hit a point about talking Mond on every post and people must have contacted them. There's 89 other guys. Bradbury is what he is at this point. He certainly shouldn't even be considered to start. Even being a backup is a stretch. Kewsi said their is limited top level talent but that doesn't mean you take whatever is laying around if you don't have the top guy. Get the 15th from the top. Maybe that's impossible to accomplish according to some book he read or some other nonsense floating in his head.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:27 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:16 pm
According to one source, he's going to be ready for Week 1.

As far as I'm concerned, the Vikings should do like the Rams and sit all the starters for the preseason. Can't lose anyone to injury that way, at least not from playing in the games.
From a football standpoint that makes sense since preseason means nothing, but if they do that then the Vikings shouldn't force season ticket holders to purchase games where no starters play.
I'm not a season ticket holder but that is a slippery slope. What about the last game of the season where coaches sit starters. Should fans get their money back?

In the end it doesn't matter. The organization will get their money one way or another. All they would do is give you "free" preseason tickets and then guess what happens with your regular season tickets.....? :lol:
i'm ready for a beer.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

vikeinmontana wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:47 am
StumpHunter wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:27 am
I'm not a season ticket holder but that is a slippery slope. What about the last game of the season where coaches sit starters. Should fans get their money back?

In the end it doesn't matter. The organization will get their money one way or another. All they would do is give you "free" preseason tickets and then guess what happens with your regular season tickets.....? :lol:
This debate has been around forever. If most of the starters don't play in the preseason and your teams sucks game one it will be they never had any game reps. This do what the Rams do gets old. I'd like to know how did they make that 49er safety drop an easy 4th qtr int in the champ game. How about Osbourne dropping a sure TD and then allowing the ball to bounce in the air for an int? I'd like to know how they made that happen. Plays like that come in handy and helps save or give a win. That would be more important.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

CharVike wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:26 pm
vikeinmontana wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:47 am

This debate has been around forever. If most of the starters don't play in the preseason and your teams sucks game one it will be they never had any game reps. This do what the Rams do gets old. I'd like to know how did they make that 49er safety drop an easy 4th qtr int in the champ game. How about Osbourne dropping a sure TD and then allowing the ball to bounce in the air for an int? I'd like to know how they made that happen. Plays like that come in handy and helps save or give a win. That would be more important.
It's been around forever and will always be around forever. Because all teams and situations are not the same. If a team is returning nearly all their coaches and players for several seasons, the preseason reps may not be as important as they are to a team with new staff or many new players. Even then, no matter what, you'll always have the debate because preseason injuries are always a possibility. And because as you pointed out, fans hindsight is always 20-20. Starters play and get hurt in the preseason and it's always a dumb move. Starters skip preseason and the team looks like garbage in the regular season and it's always a dumb move.

But there is a reason why starters barely play the 1st preseason game, don't play at all the 4th preseason game, don't play when the game is out of hand, and rarely play when the playoff field is already set. Coaches value health over reps in those cases.
i'm ready for a beer.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Akayleb Evans - Evans is starting to get noticed. Not saying he'll be a starter but he is making some noise. That's good news for a 4th
round pick. People do get nicked and it would be nice to have a guy that can at least function as a decent backup.
TE- Getting a player. “We’ll continue to kind of look at that. If we feel like, at any point in time we want to do that, I’ll get with [Kwesi Adofo-Mensah] and his staff and we’ll talk about that,” O’Connell told media members. “…Ultimately, my goal is to see that group just kind of next man up mentality and thrive and take advantage of the unfortunate opportunity that came their way from Irv going down.”
There are still multiple free agent veteran tight ends that could come in and give the Vikings offense a boost.
Lewis Cine - So far, Bynum has been taking the majority of the first-team reps, which has come as a bit of a surprise with many expecting Cine to just waltz right into the starting role. The first-round draft pick out of the University of Georgia sent out a tweet on Wednesday that acknowledged the learning curve in the NFL. As Cine put it, this is a “marathon not a sprint.”
This is no big deal and actually might point out that Bynum has shown growth. Face it Smith is ancient in NFL terms. Cine will get his chance.
https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/catego ... ings-news/

Vikings worked out the following players on Thursday.
WR Jonathan Adams
G Matt Burrell
QB Kevin Hogan
OT Chidi Okeke
TE Kahale Warring
OT Jarrid Williams
Warring is a former 3rd round pick of the Texans and is considered a receiving threat. I guess he could be signed to help in camp for passing drills.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Nice to hear Evans is looking good. :D :govikes:
Frozen Rope
Starter

Post by Frozen Rope »

Foreman44 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:40 am So glad camp started. Long off season.

How come for me when the NBA season closes. They start a new season shortly after... (golf also)NFL it feels forever..

As for our coach and GM. I am glad Zimmer is gone. There after season hate towards our Vikings tells a lot.

Our new coach and GM. They e our Vikings now I will give them a chance.. Have to give them three years, four to build there program. Unfortunately for me at 70: and more fragile with Parkinson’s.Hopefully they can bring me a championship. Us a championship. 60 years a fan. Been a long wait...

A t seasons beginning, training camp always hope. How come do I feel more hopeful than many.

We know our offense an score points.

I have a good feeling about our deft picks. But gettin three good playe I probably lucky

Much of our D same. If Hunter stays healthy, and Smith. Could be interesting...our players love the scheme. Seem excited,.. like what I have heard so far.

Plus How much turmoil was between players and. Zimmer the differences between Zimmer and RS".

Winning the SB takes all of the above, skill, a lot of luck..

We were not going to win it last year,

Hopefully this year there is hope again.
Just catching up. Thanks for sharing Doug. Our prayers are with you
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Friday camp notes.
Hicks had a big day picking off a Cousins throw
Lewis Cine made some nice coverage plays. Should be some 3 safety packages. The cream is rising.
Darrisaw has something wrong with arm Holder Oli took over. Not sure about injury.
Davidson got open deep but dropped the pass. At least he's getting time and showing something which is good for the 2nd yr guy who was a major project.
Mond isn't providing much of a push for the No 2 spot.
Osborne is having a great camp. Playing slot and wide
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

CharVike wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:53 am Friday camp notes.
Hicks had a big day picking off a Cousins throw
Lewis Cine made some nice coverage plays. Should be some 3 safety packages. The cream is rising.
Darrisaw has something wrong with arm Holder Oli took over. Not sure about injury.
Davidson got open deep but dropped the pass. At least he's getting time and showing something which is good for the 2nd yr guy who was a major project.
Mond isn't providing much of a push for the No 2 spot.
Osborne is having a great camp. Playing slot and wide
Would be nice to see Osborne just outright win that WR 3 spot. He made some nice splash plays last year and seems like a guy who has the potential to put it together and become a factor in his own right.

Not really surprised on Mond to be honest. While I liked his mobility and tight throwing motion coming out of college, he never displayed much of an ability to process the field quickly from what I remember watching his highlight clips and reading about him. If he is going to develop that, hopefully we'll see some signs of it or he has journeyman written all over him.

I'm kind of excited about what I'm hearing about the Vikings DBs in general so far. Bynum looks like he's put in the work to get on the field and win the starting safety spot opposite Smith. Booth and Dantzler are both making some noise as well. Would be nice to finally see some surprise to the upside in the secondary this year.

Also liking what I'm seeing and hearing from the defensive linemen, especially in the middle. Health is going to be a factor for pretty much every player on that starting unit, but if they can stay healthy they look like the real deal.

I was hopeful the defense would improve compared to least season where they had a lot of injuries and just weren't very good, but I didn't expect them to be much better than middle-of-the-pack overall. I'd say if this group stays healthy they can be a top ten defense. And you put a top ten defense up with this offense and the Vikings just might have something cooking this year finally.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

If Hamilton getting beat by a 5th WR means it was a good thing we passed on him, what does this mean?

Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:16 pm If Hamilton getting beat by a 5th WR means it was a good thing we passed on him, what does this mean?

I hope we see a lot of that. Offensively. Not defensively
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Foreman44 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:22 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:16 pm If Hamilton getting beat by a 5th WR means it was a good thing we passed on him, what does this mean?

Nailor has been impressing since OTAs and looks to be a good later round find.

Even Richard Sherman got beat this bad on occasion and that position is getting harder and harder to play. Especially now that the league has decided once again to focus on illegal contact penalties, something no one asked for but that should lead to a big season for most passing offenses.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Can't make judgments off a single play. We will learn how good both Booth and Nailor are during camp and into the season.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:58 am

Can't make judgments off a single play. We will learn how good both Booth and Nailor are during camp and into the season.
You can pick one rep out on any player and make the guy look bad. Then you can pick a play like this.
Kyle Hamilton made an impressive play during Monday's practice that he hopes to replicate many times this fall.
The rookie safety covered plenty of ground for his first interception of training camp, reacting quickly to a Tyler Huntley pass and cutting in front of Shemar Bridges. Hamilton showed off more athleticism after the interception, zig-zagging about 30 yards downfield on the return before he was touched down by Jaylon Moore.
Of course Huntley sucks so of course it means nothing.