Joseph has competition

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Joseph has competition

Post by VikingsVictorious »

CharVike wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:57 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:08 pm I know that kickers are proven on Sundays during the real season, but so far this offseason Joseph has been making everything. Might as well call him Greg the Leg.
He played good for us except the missed chip shot for the win. Of course if he chunks another game winner he will be called No leg Peg.
IIRC early in the season he had more trouble than just the AZ game winner. However, down the stretch he was great. I have no problem with Greg the Leg.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

For the first time in years, we might have a real good kicker. A 58 yarder that might have been good from 60. What was it, 6 FGs in a row. I am impressed. :govikes:
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:28 am For the first time in years, we might have a real good kicker. A 58 yarder that might have been good from 60. What was it, 6 FGs in a row. I am impressed. :govikes:
It is just practice and did you forget Joseph missed extra points last year?
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

VikingsFan84 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:00 pm
JJBreaksRecords wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:28 am For the first time in years, we might have a real good kicker. A 58 yarder that might have been good from 60. What was it, 6 FGs in a row. I am impressed. :govikes:
It is just practice and did you forget Joseph missed extra points last year?
As of now practice is what we have to go on. Over the course of last season despite a slow start Joseph was a good FG K. I didn't check his XP percents as I don't care much. Of course my preference is neither being missed, but XPs are only worth 1 point while FGs are worth 3. I will trade FGs for XPs all day long.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

He missed 4 xps last year. One of which was the Arizona game (missed xp and the missed fg for the win). That's the one I remember. I don't recall the others being game changing.

I do agree he seemed to get better as year went on. That's without looking deep.

Edit: his three other xp misses were weeks 11 (gb win), 12 (sf loss), and 14 (Pitt win).

So maybe his xps got worse. 😆
He only missed one fg all season after the bye in week 7, which was the Pitt game. One missed fg along with the xp.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Don't know if you guys saw, but there was video on Twitter showing Joseph hitting a 58-yarder to end practice Tuesday. Guys, it was a bomb. Went through halfway up the uprights, like a lot of kickers' 40-yarders. Not even exaggerating.

The guy is blasting it ... he's only missed two kicks all camp. He's like a different kicker. I haver no idea what this kid has been eating (or injecting) since last season.

Or maybe it's just a better atmosphere.

Let's face it. Mike Zimmer hated kickers. It pissed him off that his precious defense would work for 60 minutes to keep the Vikings in a game, and then the outcome would have to be determined by some skinny nerd who wasn't even a real football player. Kickers are pretty fragile, as a species, and any negativity can send them into a tailspin. It had to be hard as hell to kick on a Zimmer team. I honestly believe just the change in atmosphere and attitude is helping Greg Joseph in a big way.

Or steroids. Who knows?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:15 pm Don't know if you guys saw, but there was video on Twitter showing Joseph hitting a 58-yarder to end practice Tuesday. Guys, it was a bomb. Went through halfway up the uprights, like a lot of kickers' 40-yarders. Not even exaggerating.

The guy is blasting it ... he's only missed two kicks all camp. He's like a different kicker. I haver no idea what this kid has been eating (or injecting) since last season.

Let's face it. Mike Zimmer hated kickers. It pissed him off that his precious defense would work for 60 minutes to keep the Vikings in a game, and then the outcome would have to be determined by some skinny nerd who wasn't even a real football player. Kickers are pretty fragile, as a species, and any negativity can send them into a tailspin. It had to be hard as hell to kick on a Zimmer team. I honestly believe just the change in atmosphere and attitude is helping Greg Joseph in a big way.

Or steroids. Who knows?
I've always maintained the idea that Zimmer had a negative effect on Kickers. You're post here is preaching to the choir with me. Or maybe it's the steroids. :lol: :bowdown: :confused:
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Joseph finished Thursday’s practice with a make from 60 that cleared the crossbar with plenty to spare. The entire team went nuts.

Again, it’s amazing how well a man can do his job when the people he works for believe in him.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:01 pm Joseph finished Thursday’s practice with a make from 60 that cleared the crossbar with plenty to spare. The entire team went nuts.

Again, it’s amazing how well a man can do his job when the people he works for believe in him.
He needs to do it in game situations for me to believe he can do his job well, but at least what we're seeing from camp is encouraging.

Personally, I hope it never comes down to needing a late field goal to win or tie this season. I'd like to see the Vikings get up by at least a TD each game and the other team needing a late, 90+ yard drive to score a TD to tie it to have any hope at all...
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:15 pm

Let's face it. Mike Zimmer hated kickers. It pissed him off that his precious defense would work for 60 minutes to keep the Vikings in a game, and then the outcome would have to be determined by some skinny nerd who wasn't even a real football player.
Oh I think it’s definitely a better atmosphere but Joseph actually has a coach now (KOC as well as Daniels) that I still confidence in him. Which is huge for that position. Matt Daniels has been CONSTANTLY tooting Joseph’s horn. And look at the difference it makes. Not the grump as# coach we had before that probably never once walked into a special teams meeting.

And this doesn’t just go for Joseph. This goes for the whole team. I think the Vikings will be a really solid team this year. And I think a huge part of that has to do with the culture that KOC is bringing in. He’s allowing players to play loose and have fun.

I mean look at what Kris Boyd said about the zimmer regime. How their as#holes were so tight non stop. Zimmer lost the team. Most games they won the last few years were due to talent alone. No matter how bad the coach is on this team, they will still get 7-8 wins simply off talent. Now we have a guy here that can get through to players. Can easily make players enjoy playing for him. I can’t stress how massive that is. I’ve coached for 10 years. When everyone is buying into what you’re doing, you’re bound to have success.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:17 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:15 pm

Let's face it. Mike Zimmer hated kickers. It pissed him off that his precious defense would work for 60 minutes to keep the Vikings in a game, and then the outcome would have to be determined by some skinny nerd who wasn't even a real football player.
Oh I think it’s definitely a better atmosphere but Joseph actually has a coach now (KOC as well as Daniels) that I still confidence in him. Which is huge for that position. Matt Daniels has been CONSTANTLY tooting Joseph’s horn. And look at the difference it makes. Not the grump as# coach we had before that probably never once walked into a special teams meeting.

And this doesn’t just go for Joseph. This goes for the whole team. I think the Vikings will be a really solid team this year. And I think a huge part of that has to do with the culture that KOC is bringing in. He’s allowing players to play loose and have fun.

I mean look at what Kris Boyd said about the zimmer regime. How their as#holes were so tight non stop. Zimmer lost the team. Most games they won the last few years were due to talent alone. No matter how bad the coach is on this team, they will still get 7-8 wins simply off talent. Now we have a guy here that can get through to players. Can easily make players enjoy playing for him. I can’t stress how massive that is. I’ve coached for 10 years. When everyone is buying into what you’re doing, you’re bound to have success.
I'm hoping change at GM and HC will bring good this year and maybe it will. I haven't seen anything positive yet that I sit back and say wow I never saw a move like that. The Lions took it to him on draft night. Kewsi basically hit the repeat button and that has proven to be ineffective at building a solid roster. We have the same holes now that we had last year. You can't improve like that. SF dominated us at the point in practices. Their backups dominated our backups in preseason. You can't compete like that. Everything starts up front. All of this should have been handled months ago. Now everything is focused on some stupid backup QB. I don't care about that. I care about having a junk center and question marks still at RG and LT. That will be our offensive problem again. Once we face a 49er type team it won't be good. The bad teams sure we will be ok. Bringing a new culture won't turn some stiff player into a stud. It's not that easy.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:56 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:17 pm

I'm hoping change at GM and HC will bring good this year and maybe it will. I haven't seen anything positive yet that I sit back and say wow I never saw a move like that. The Lions took it to him on draft night. Kewsi basically hit the repeat button and that has proven to be ineffective at building a solid roster. We have the same holes now that we had last year. You can't improve like that. SF dominated us at the point in practices. Their backups dominated our backups in preseason. You can't compete like that. Everything starts up front. All of this should have been handled months ago. Now everything is focused on some stupid backup QB. I don't care about that. I care about having a junk center and question marks still at RG and LT. That will be our offensive problem again. Once we face a 49er type team it won't be good. The bad teams sure we will be ok. Bringing a new culture won't turn some stiff player into a stud. It's not that easy.
Where do you get this sheet that SF dominated us at practice. We had our way with them from start to finish.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:49 pm
CharVike wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:56 am
Where do you get this sheet that SF dominated us at practice. We had our way with them from start to finish.
I guess everyone has a story. I wasn't there so maybe this article is a bunch of BS. There is a video in there also. It don't lie.
https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/vik ... -impresses
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:59 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:49 pm

I guess everyone has a story. I wasn't there so maybe this article is a bunch of BS. There is a video in there also. It don't lie.
Video lies if it's cherry picked.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:31 pm
CharVike wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:59 pm
Video lies if it's cherry picked.
Just like stats...at least that you dont agree with.