Vikings Training Camp 2022

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Foreman44
Transition Player

Re: Vikings Training Camp 2022

Post by Foreman44 »

So glad camp started. Long off season.

How come for me when the NBA season closes. They start a new season shortly after... (golf also)NFL it feels forever..

As for our coach and GM. I am glad Zimmer is gone. There after season hate towards our Vikings tells a lot.

Our new coach and GM. They e our Vikings now I will give them a chance.. Have to give them three years, four to build there program. Unfortunately for me at 70: and more fragile with Parkinson’s.Hopefully they can bring me a championship. Us a championship. 60 years a fan. Been a long wait...

A t seasons beginning, training camp always hope. How come do I feel more hopeful than many.

We know our offense an score points.

I have a good feeling about our deft picks. But gettin three good playe I probably lucky

Much of our D same. If Hunter stays healthy, and Smith. Could be interesting...our players love the scheme. Seem excited,.. like what I have heard so far.

Plus How much turmoil was between players and. Zimmer the differences between Zimmer and RS".

Winning the SB takes all of the above, skill, a lot of luck..

We were not going to win it last year,

Hopefully this year there is hope again.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:29 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:40 am
I have no particular issues with Kwesi, but I'm on the fence about him. I wanted Harbaugh. I like the signing of Hicks in particular. According to the usual draft compensation for trading a #12 pick he got fleeced, but the results sure look good. I loved his sticking it to the Puke getting 2 second round picks for 1. I'm a little troubled about him drafting Asamoah because I think he could have let the shared Ghanaian heritage influence him. I hope it was someone else pounding the table for him as they say. I've made my feeling regarding signing draft picks known. As Stan M said "I look at rookie signings as a routine process. " So if it's routine than don't wait until the last minute just get it done. You point out there are some things that can make it less than routine, but I still think it's good to get it done in a timely manner rather than waiting until the last minute.
All good. I get it. Don’t agree about Harbaugh and really like KOC, but that’s neither here nor there.

The draft was … interesting. I’m a person who tries to give new people the benefit of the doubt, but that’s just me. I did it with Zimmer, with Frazier, even with Childress. All backfired on me, but that’s who I am. I’m doing the same with Kwesi. On the surface, the trade out of 12 didn’t make sense. But I also know that Kwesi believed the true value in this draft was in picks 25-75, so he loaded up there. Perfectly reasonable to disagree with that, but it definitely was his reasoning. Time will tell whether it was genius or stupidity.
I hate trading down in the draft unless you walk away with a fortune in picks. We gave up 20 picks and didn't get much. With that we got the 3rd safety taken. I say get the best at the position. Same stuff went on last year when we traded away from Slater and even ignored a future QB. Some might disagree but building a roster is about drafting the best players. The best are at the top not the bottom. I don't understand thinking the value was at 25-75. I liked Sauce Gardner. He's a special CB and wasn't going to be there at 25-75. It takes more effort to move up than down. I wonder why?
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

CharVike wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:32 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:29 pm
All good. I get it. Don’t agree about Harbaugh and really like KOC, but that’s neither here nor there.

The draft was … interesting. I’m a person who tries to give new people the benefit of the doubt, but that’s just me. I did it with Zimmer, with Frazier, even with Childress. All backfired on me, but that’s who I am. I’m doing the same with Kwesi. On the surface, the trade out of 12 didn’t make sense. But I also know that Kwesi believed the true value in this draft was in picks 25-75, so he loaded up there. Perfectly reasonable to disagree with that, but it definitely was his reasoning. Time will tell whether it was genius or stupidity.
I hate trading down in the draft unless you walk away with a fortune in picks. We gave up 20 picks and didn't get much. With that we got the 3rd safety taken. I say get the best at the position. Same stuff went on last year when we traded away from Slater and even ignored a future QB. Some might disagree but building a roster is about drafting the best players. The best are at the top not the bottom. I don't understand thinking the value was at 25-75. I liked Sauce Gardner. He's a special CB and wasn't going to be there at 25-75. It takes more effort to move up than down. I wonder why?
We were never going to get Sauce Gardner. Never. He went fourth overall. We didn’t have the capital to move up to 3rd.

As for safeties, if I recall correctly, you wanted Kyle Hamilton pretty bad.

Maybe this video will calm your fears that we missed out.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:14 pm
CharVike wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:32 pm
We were never going to get Sauce Gardner. Never. He went fourth overall. We didn’t have the capital to move up to 3rd.

Your correct Hamilton is the guy I wanted. Didn't look to good on that play. You can always move up. Our GM claimed he's smarter than all the others. Make it happen. I hope he knocked it out of the park and made a few good picks and that's certainly possible. Once the pads are on and they start hitting it will shake out.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

CharVike wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:28 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:14 pm

Your correct Hamilton is the guy I wanted. Didn't look to good on that play. You can always move up. Our GM claimed he's smarter than all the others. Make it happen. I hope he knocked it out of the park and made a few good picks and that's certainly possible. Once the pads are on and they start hitting it will shake out.
The guy who beat him on this play, Bailey Gather, was an undrafted free agent who was waived by Green Bay and drafted into the USFL … where he never played. He runs a 4.5 in the 40.

It’s always hard for a safety to stay with a WR one-on-one. But on this rep, Hamilton got beat by 8 yards. He showed no ability to change direction, no closing speed, and frankly not much competitiveness. Any decently athletic tight end would’ve torched him. It’s got to make Ravens fans nervous.

You’re right, some guys are better once the pads come on. Maybe he becomes more of a linebacker. Who knows? But the NFL is full of guys who can fly, and it’s hard to make it as a DB if you can’t run with them. I have to wonder if Hamilton can make up for his definite lack of speed (4.6). This was my worry during the draft (not just me but many people).

Again, between the two, I’m glad we got Cine.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Foreman44 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:40 am So glad camp started. Long off season.

How come for me when the NBA season closes. They start a new season shortly after... (golf also)NFL it feels forever..

As for our coach and GM. I am glad Zimmer is gone. There after season hate towards our Vikings tells a lot.

Our new coach and GM. They e our Vikings now I will give them a chance.. Have to give them three years, four to build there program. Unfortunately for me at 70: and more fragile with Parkinson’s.Hopefully they can bring me a championship. Us a championship. 60 years a fan. Been a long wait...

A t seasons beginning, training camp always hope. How come do I feel more hopeful than many.

I have a good feeling about our deft picks. But gettin three good playe I probably lucky

Much of our D same. If Hunter stays healthy, and Smith. Could be interesting...our players love the scheme. Seem excited,.. like what I have heard so far.

Plus How much turmoil was between players and. Zimmer the differences between Zimmer and RS".

Sorry about the Parkinson's. My Grandfather lived with that for a very long time. I'm 63 and is it hereditary. Take care of yourself. Hopefully the Vikings can win one while you can still enjoy it.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:50 pm
The guy who beat him on this play, Bailey Gather, was an undrafted free agent who was waived by Green Bay and drafted into the USFL … where he never played. He runs a 4.5 in the 40.

It’s always hard for a safety to stay with a WR one-on-one. But on this rep, Hamilton got beat by 8 yards. He showed no ability to change direction, no closing speed, and frankly not much competitiveness. Any decently athletic tight end would’ve torched him. It’s got to make Ravens fans nervous.

You’re right, some guys are better once the pads come on. Maybe he becomes more of a linebacker. Who knows? But the NFL is full of guys who can fly, and it’s hard to make it as a DB if you can’t run with them. I have to wonder if Hamilton can make up for his definite lack of speed (4.6). This was my worry during the draft (not just me but many people).

I'm glad we got Cine instead of Hamilton also and pretty much Booth and Ingram were obtained by that draft capitol as well.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:50 pm

Hamilton looked like a guy who didn't give a crap. It didn't look like the guy who ran across the field to pick off a pass at ND. That was a real game and he read the QB/play and made the move. He ran a bad 40 and many soured on him. Game action is different.
Speeds a great asset but it goes beyond that. One of ours Williamson was a rocket 4.3 guy but it didn't help since he couldn't catch. Yes Hamilton showed no change of direction which will never work. You can't play anywhere like that. Maybe we saw this and that's why we traded down. Maybe that is why you don't see 6 4 DBs
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:23 pm
Foreman44 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:40 am So glad camp started. Long off season.

Sorry about the Parkinson's. My Grandfather lived with that for a very long time. I'm 63 and is it hereditary. Take care of yourself. Hopefully the Vikings can win one while you can still enjoy it.
Thanks VV. I heard it wasn’t hereditary. But my dad had it as well.
I haven’t had the hallucinations, yet like my dad did. Have awakened screaming from nightmares... couldn’t take my dad out as he couldn’t hold anything down. Hard not driving..

I don’t fear it. I am ready when my time comes. My only fear is becoming a burden on my family. Thanks for the well wishes. My wish is that you or no one else gets it, Or they find a cure
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Foreman44 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:06 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:23 pm
Thanks VV. I heard it wasn’t hereditary. But my dad had it as well.
I haven’t had the hallucinations, yet like my dad did. Have awakened screaming from nightmares... couldn’t take my dad out as he couldn’t hold anything down. Hard not driving..

I don’t fear it. I am ready when my time comes. My only fear is becoming a burden on my family. Thanks for the well wishes. My wish is that you or no one else gets it, Or they find a cure
Thanks again and all the best.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

1st padded practice.
Irv Smith - Left the practice but came back out to watch practice. Probably a minor deal. I don't want to hear tweak.
Bradbury - Was getting his arse kicked again. First rep Phillips put him on his back. This will never change. Can't hold the point. Unless Kewsi steps up to plate and does something we will need to deal with nothing at C again. I don't know why we let that guy go who filled in for him last year. The grounds crew better order more turf paint to get "56" markings out. Just cut this guy.
Darrisaw/O'Neil - Both held their own.
KJ Osborn and Ihmir Smith-Marsette - were the only two catching punts today, perhaps whittling the punt return job down to those two.
https://www.dailynorseman.com/2022/8/1/ ... d-practice
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

I just read on PFT that Irv Smith had to have surgery on his thumb this morning. That stinks.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:17 pm I just read on PFT that Irv Smith had to have surgery on his thumb this morning. That stinks.
According to one source, he's going to be ready for Week 1.

As far as I'm concerned, the Vikings should do like the Rams and sit all the starters for the preseason. Can't lose anyone to injury that way, at least not from playing in the games.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
kidfozzy.
Starter

Post by kidfozzy. »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:16 pm
Bowhunting Viking wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:17 pm I just read on PFT that Irv Smith had to have surgery on his thumb this morning. That stinks.
As far as I'm concerned, the Vikings should do like the Rams and sit all the starters for the preseason. Can't lose anyone to injury that way, at least not from playing in the games.
I agree, but I do want to see Lewis Cine get some burn before regular season though.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

The Skor North guys talk all things Vikings Training Camp. Towards the end they discuss that it's looking like Chris Reed will supplant Bradbury at Center.