Who would've been better?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Who would've been better?

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:00 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:22 am
The point of this thread is to talk about what these QBs could have been before the injury, but if you want to talk about what the QBs did after, Teddy blows both Culpepper and Bradford out of the water. Heck, Teddy post injury is still much better than Bradford was pre injury.

As for what Teddy could have done in 2017, we don't know for sure, but what we do know is that the Eagles would not have had Alshon Jeffrey and probably aren't the #1 seed without him. The Vikings trading for Sam is one of the bigger contributors to the Eagles success in 2017, and without Teddy's injury, that trade doesn't happen. Teddy also might not have thrown the pick in the 3rd quarter of that Saints game that allowed the Saints to mount their 17 point comeback. Or a pick six in the conference game that completely took away the momentum of the Vikings and gave it to the Eagles.
Bradford won the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year award. He deserves some credit for that. IMO he was a better passer than Teddy.
Teddy Bridgewater also won an offensive rookie of the year award and made the pro bowl in his second season, something Bradford never did.

If Bradford was the better passer, it never ended up amounting to anything on the field and by every metric Teddy was the better QB both before and after the injury.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

S197 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:32 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:22 am So for me, it goes like this:

1. Sam Bradford — I still to this day believe Sam Bradford was the second- or third-most talented passer I’ve ever seen. His start with the Vikings in 2016, coming in cold and knowing nothing about the Vikings’ offense or personnel, was incredible. Of course, that season completely fell apart, but I don’t blame Bradford for that. Then in 2017, he opened the season with one of the greatest games I’ve ever seen a quarterback play. Unfortunately, the guy just couldn’t stay on the field. But I wonder how good that 13-3 team would’ve been with a healthy Sam Bradford.

2. Teddy Bridgewater — This one is purely speculative, but it sure looked like TB was poised to break out in 2016. Alas, we’ll never know. Teddy was a class act in the locker room and a true leader, with a bit of a clutch gene (4 fourth-quarter comebacks in 28 games with Minnesota). He wasn’t as physically gifted as others, and that may well have held him back.

3. Daunte Culpepper — Here’s the thing about Culpepper. He really only had one great season, in 2004. That was his only season with a 100+ passer rating, For his Vikings career, he averaged only 22 TDs per season but 14 picks, and despite his mobility was sacked about 3 times per game. His career passer rating with the Vikings was just 91.5. He had a winning record as a starter only in his first year as a starter in 2001. And in 2005, he was having one of the worst seasons in Vikings history before he went down with that gruesome knee injury, with 12 picks in 7 games and a 72 passer rating. We remember the 4,700-yard season and the spectacular plays, but he had plenty of bad plays. And his refusal to rehab his injury with a competent NFL medical staff brings his dedication into question for me.
Agree on Bradford and I don’t think it’s close. His arm talent was just far and beyond the other two. I was at the Saints game in 2017 and you’re right, a healthy Bradford would have led that team far.

I would put Culpepper second and Teddy third.
Culpepper was the superior arm talent, Bradford had the best mechanics and Teddy was the most complete QB of the three.

If it wasn't close there would be some stat that Bradford was better in, but there isn't.
Vikingsfanforever
Waterboy

Post by Vikingsfanforever »

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:38 pm
S197 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:32 am Agree on Bradford and I don’t think it’s close. His arm talent was just far and beyond the other two. I was at the Saints game in 2017 and you’re right, a healthy Bradford would have led that team far.

Culpepper was the superior arm talent, Bradford had the best mechanics and Teddy was the most complete QB of the three.

If it wasn't close there would be some stat that Bradford was better
1 Culpepper
2 Bradford
3 Bridgewater

Culpepper
Bradford
Bridgewater
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

S197 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:32 am

Agree on Bradford and I don’t think it’s close. His arm talent was just far and beyond the other two. I was at the Saints game in 2017 and you’re right, a healthy Bradford would have led that team far.

If it wasn't close there would be some stat that Bradford was better in, but there isn't.
Bradford had a single season completion pct of 71.6 which was an NFL record. Is that worth anything?
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

CharVike wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:24 pm

Bradford had a single season completion pct of 71.6 which was an NFL record. Is that worth anything?
Liking the recent Bradford love. Even Diggs after all the QBs he has played with mentioned Bradford as a QB who could throw a great ball.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

I think you also have to look at the teams and the talent the QB’s had around them.
Culpepper had Moss, who was his running back...Smith?
Teddy had AD
Bradford not sure what he had except a balanced team.

1. Bradford probably had the most physical talent. Not sure how him and Shurmur would have clicked, probably ok.

2. Teddy was just the average QB who seemed to get the job done and didn’t take unnecessary chances - Zimmer ball

3.Culpepper I don’t remember watching him play. Probably why he is at number 3

Basically you need a QB that can get the players playing as a team.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

allday1991 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:23 pm
Liking the recent Bradford love. Even Diggs after all the QBs he has played with mentioned Bradford as a QB who could throw a great ball.
Diggs career high receiving yards in a game was with Bradford throwing it.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

He also had the 3rd lowest depth of target of any QB in the past decade that season, only won 8 games and lead a terrible scoring offense, so no, that doesn't mean a whole lot.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

halfgiz wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:35 pm I think you also have to look at the teams and the talent the QB’s had around them.
Teddy had AD

1. Bradford probably had the most physical talent. Not sure how him and Shurmur would have clicked, probably ok.

2. Teddy was just the average QB who seemed to get the job done and didn’t take unnecessary chances - Zimmer ball

So not Bradford who never had a winning season in his entire career?
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

halfgiz wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:35 pm I think you also have to look at the teams and the talent the QB’s had around them.
Teddy had AD

So true about the Teddy part, I don't think Zimmer ever got over not having the QB he selected. Everyone sites the problems he had with Cousins, how about Keenum when he was playing at a starter level? what did he have to say about Mond?
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson