Jim Marshall put him in

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Foreman44
Transition Player

Jim Marshall put him in

Post by Foreman44 »

In the HOF. One of my favorites
https://apple.news/AvRe-9QeESIidltsSC_R4-g
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Re: Jim Marshall put him in

Post by VikingsFan84 »

Foreman44 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:14 pm In the HOF. One of my favorites
Marshall should have been in a long time ago! :wallbang:
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

VikingsFan84 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:52 am
Foreman44 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:14 pm In the HOF. One of my favorites
Marshall should have been in a long time ago! :wallbang:
For one. For me anyway. He was the Lou Gehrig of football.

How many ran the wrong way for a touchdown. Funny now. Not so at the
Time. But kind of adds to his career.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Some interesting things about Marshall.

1. He recovered 30 fumbles in his career. At the time, it was an NFL record — since then, it has been passed by only one defensive player (Rod Woodson, who is in the Hall of Fame, had 32).

2. Sacks weren't an official NFL statistic until 1982. However, Pro Football Reference has done tons of research and now has sack numbers for everyone back to 1960. Jim Marshall would have been credited with 127 sacks, which ranks second in Vikings history behind Carl Eller. (Others like Chris Doleman and Jared Allen have more total sacks, but not all were with the Vikings.)

3. Marshall started 270 consecutive NFL games, most in NFL history until Brett Favre passed him. In his entire NFL career, he missed only 5 games.

4. Marshall actually started his professional career in the Canadian Football League in 1959. He was traded to Cleveland in 1960, then came to the Vikings via trade in 1961.

5. He was the last of the original 1961 Vikings to retire, hanging them up after the 1979 season. Counting his CFL days, he played 21 professional seasons.

6. He was twice a Pro Bowler and twice a 2nd team All Pro.

It's about time they elected this man to the Hall of Fame.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:08 pm Some interesting things about Marshall.

1. He recovered 30 fumbles in his career. At the time, it was an NFL record — since then, it has been passed by only
one defensive player (Rod Woodson, who is in the Hall of Fame, had 32).

2. Sacks weren't an official NFL statistic until 1982. However, Pro Football Reference has done tons of research and now has sack numbers for everyone back to 1960. Jim Marshall would have been credited with 127 sacks, which ranks second in Vikings history behind Carl Eller. (Others like Chris Doleman and Jared Allen have more total sacks, but not all were with the Vikings.)

3. Marshall started 270 consecutive NFL games, most in NFL history until Brett Favre passed him. In his entire NFL career, he missed only 5 games.

4. Marshall actually started his professional career in the Canadian Football League in 1959. He was traded to Cleveland in 1960, then came to the Vikings via trade in 1961.

5. He was the last of the original 1961 Vikings to retire, hanging them up after the 1979 season. Counting his CFL days, he played 21 professional seasons.

6. He was twice a Pro Bowler and twice a 2nd team All Pro.

It's about time they elected this man to the Hall of Fame.
This says it all Joe
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

OK, I have to do it. I happen to be the fortunate owner of a copy of the book "Purple Hearts and Golden Memories: 35 Years with the Minnesota Vikings" by Jim Klobuchar. So in the middle of the offseason and with the topic at hand being the inimitable Jim Marshall, I just wanted to share some quotes from that book about him and his illustrious career with the Vikings. For reference, these are taken from pages 72-75 of that book for those of you also lucky enough to own a copy.
...this was the team that reached the Super Bowl in the 1969 season. That was just two years after Grant heard the subdued whistles of the Micky Mouse song, sounded mischievously by some unknown ballplayer as a commentary on Grant's rules. From the safe distance of years later, the unknown whistler was revealed to be Jim Marshall, who became Bud Grant's all-time favorite football player.
He was a football player who was just out of this world in what he contributed to his team. his skills were only part of it. He had speed and instincts. A lot of players have that. What he had that nobody I've ever seen could equal was a quality a lot of fans don't think about. he just refused to go down with an injury. He got hurt a lot. But is was almost as though there was something different about how he was put together, his physique.
Playing on Sunday was a bigger deal for Jim Marshall than anybody I ever met. He loved the game and it was his identity.
Jim just decided someplace that he was going to play forever, and he almost did. Think about it. Twenty years in pro football, the highest level, playing defensive end, exposed all of those years to big bodies hitting you on every play. We went through so many years and so much football together. I'll say this. We use love a lot. But if it's possible for a man to love another man, that's the feeling I have for Jim Marshall - Bud Grant
But Marshall very often sounded and looked like the victim of bubonic plague in the middle of the week. He wretched and gagged and coughed and his temperature crept past 100. Grant routinely assigned him to locker room duty and Marshall spent the next couple of hours in meditation in the sauna. "How's his temperature?" Grant would ask Zamberletti. "It's up to 103". Grant nodded with approval. "Good. He'll play a helluva game Sunday, 103 and all." He did, every time.
270 games started as a Viking, 19 seasons from 1961 to 1979. Beyond impressive and deserving of recognition.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

In 2018, Jerry Kramer was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, 44 years after he was first eligible.
So there is still hope for Marshall.
NFL Films did a top 10 players not in the HOF and when it was done Kramer was No 1. Marshall was No 2. I watched the Marshall piece and they had people that had both views. Len Dawson was very critical and said when they played against us in the SB Marshall was the guy they went after. He then said the Steelers and Raiders did the same thing and he didn't hold up. I think it was Gale Sayers who said he was as good as Eller which is a stretch. Eller was defensive player of the year once.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Without a doubt he is deserving just based on his iron man status alone.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:19 pm Without a doubt he is deserving just based on his iron man status alone.
I have to agree. His exclusion IMO is ridiculous.
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

https://apple.news/A-xHdjKskToOWesTTS2OxCA

Marshall got ripped off again
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

Foreman44 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:45 pm https://apple.news/A-xHdjKskToOWesTTS2OxCA

Marshall got ripped off again
What a joke!