The Top 20 2022 Minnesota Vikings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: The Top 20 2022 Minnesota Vikings

Post by VikingsVictorious »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:14 pm
CharVike wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:26 pm This new GM that we hired hasn't done a thing to make me feel he's above the rest. I felt he screwed up in the draft by trading away from the talent. IMO Hamilton was the guy to be picked for the safety position and he was there for us. He's a different type of player at 6' 4" and great sideline to sideline in game speed. How do you throw over that guy.
I've given this some thought, because I originally had the exact same reaction and feeling about the draft and KAM's moves as you did.

However, I'm willing to give KAM some leeway on this, not because he's new at it or I just want to be optimistic about the moves he made, but because he's articulated a strategy about how he views talent and draft picks and I am curious to see if he's on to anything. I mean, Spielman was a wheeler and a dealer during his time as GM, but I didn't get the sense he had much of a strategy behind the moves he made beyond trying to hit a home run with every pick. That strategy seemed to have its share of spectacular successes, but those seemed to be cancelled by misses of equal note. In the end, the wins cancelled out the losses, and the average results overall speak for themselves.

So while I don't know if KAM is going to be more successful, and in practice he made a lot of moves in this last draft as well, in regards to how he picked the players he picked, I'm willing to hold my fire until we get a better chance to watch how things play out. If Spielman was trying to hit home runs with his swings in the draft, KAM seems to be trying to get on base and even looking for multiple base hits rather than the big boomer. Sure, he might have connected with a guy like Hamilton earlier in the 1st, but what if the combo of Cine-Booth ends up driving in 2-3 runs instead of a solo shot?

Sorry for all the baseball analogies, but I managed to take in a Twins-Diamondbacks game recently and it put baseball in my mind.
The pick I questioned most in the draft was Asamoah the fast, but undersized LB who didn't grade out all that well. Recently I'm hearing he's a stand out among the new players and also Nailor is looking great. Kwesi just might know what he's doing.

WHEN DOES CAMP START?
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:23 pm The pick I questioned most in the draft was Asamoah the fast, but undersized LB who didn't grade out all that well. Recently I'm hearing he's a stand out among the new players and also Nailor is looking great. Kwesi just might know what he's doing.

WHEN DOES CAMP START?
Ha ha!!! I'm with you. Even though my "Vikings sense" tells me not to get too excited about the upcoming season, every year I find it impossible not to have some hope and optimism, and so it is again this year. If nothing else, I'm eager to see if KOC can light a fire and bring a new attitude to the team, along with watching the younger players hopefully make their marks (and that includes Irv Smith who I felt was ready to break out last year).

The player I most liked from this last draft based on where the Vikings got him is Akayleb Evans, the CB out of Clemson. I like his size and length and consistency. Not sure they needed to move up to get him but I think he was great value and is a player with a bright future.

The player I liked least from this last draft was Ty Chandler, the running back out of North Carolina. Granted, the Vikings took him later in the draft where they are looking for depth and special teams contributors, but I think Chandler could easily have been an UDFA signing. Now granted, I felt the same way about Nawangwu last year (still give props to Kapp with his call on that pick), and he turned out to be great returning kickoffs, so I'm willing to see how Chandler is used and what impact he makes. I suspect KAM targeted him for a specific thing he does well, which is catch passes out of the backfield and make plays after the catch. If he's used right, he could make an impact.

Be interesting to see how Nailor does. Vikes found Thielen as an UDFA, so maybe they snagged another diamond in the rough late with Nailor. Certainly seems to be a hard worker and eager student of the game. This team is primed for one of the WRs to win that WR3 role and run with it. Who is going to do that this season? Can't wait to find out.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

CharVike wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:26 pm This new GM that we hired hasn't done a thing to make me feel he's above the rest. I felt he screwed up in the draft by trading away from the talent. IMO Hamilton was the guy to be picked for the safety position and he was there for us. He's a different type of player at 6' 4" and great sideline to sideline in game speed. How do you throw over that guy.
I've given this some thought, because I originally had the exact same reaction and feeling about the draft and KAM's moves as you did.

However, I'm willing to give KAM some leeway on this, not because he's new at it or I just want to be optimistic about the moves he made, but because he's articulated a strategy about how he views talent and draft picks and I am curious to see if he's on to anything. I mean, Spielman was a wheeler and a dealer during his time as GM, but I didn't get the sense he had much of a strategy behind the moves he made beyond trying to hit a home run with every pick. That strategy seemed to have its share of spectacular successes, but those seemed to be cancelled by misses of equal note. In the end, the wins cancelled out the losses, and the average results overall speak for themselves.

So while I don't know if KAM is going to be more successful, and in practice he made a lot of moves in this last draft as well, in regards to how he picked the players he picked, I'm willing to hold my fire until we get a better chance to watch how things play out. If Spielman was trying to hit home runs with his swings in the draft, KAM seems to be trying to get on base and even looking for multiple base hits rather than the big boomer. Sure, he might have connected with a guy like Hamilton earlier in the 1st, but what if the combo of Cine-Booth ends up driving in 2-3 runs instead of a solo shot?

Sorry for all the baseball analogies, but I managed to take in a Twins-Diamondbacks game recently and it put baseball in my mind.
Time will tell. I just think Hamilton was one of the best players in this draft.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:23 pm

The pick I questioned most in the draft was Asamoah the fast, but undersized LB who didn't grade out all that well. Recently I'm hearing he's a stand out among the new players and also Nailor is looking great. Kwesi just might know what he's doing.

WHEN DOES CAMP START?
The only bad thing about training camp starting is, that means winter is just behind the corner. And the older I get, the more I hate this state. I wish to god I had stayed in Orlando.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:21 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:23 pm The pick I questioned most in the draft was Asamoah the fast, but undersized LB who didn't grade out all that well. Recently I'm hearing he's a stand out among the new players and also Nailor is looking great. Kwesi just might know what he's doing.

WHEN DOES CAMP START?
Ha ha!!! I'm with you. Even though my "Vikings sense" tells me not to get too excited about the upcoming season, every year I find it impossible not to have some hope and optimism, and so it is again this year. If nothing else, I'm eager to see if KOC can light a fire and bring a new attitude to the team, along with watching the younger players hopefully make their marks (and that includes Irv Smith who I felt was ready to break out last year).

The player I most liked from this last draft based on where the Vikings got him is Akayleb Evans, the CB out of Clemson. I like his size and length and consistency. Not sure they needed to move up to get him but I think he was great value and is a player with a bright future.

The player I liked least from this last draft was Ty Chandler, the running back out of North Carolina. Granted, the Vikings took him later in the draft where they are looking for depth and special teams contributors, but I think Chandler could easily have been an UDFA signing. Now granted, I felt the same way about Nawangwu last year (still give props to Kapp with his call on that pick), and he turned out to be great returning kickoffs, so I'm willing to see how Chandler is used and what impact he makes. I suspect KAM targeted him for a specific thing he does well, which is catch passes out of the backfield and make plays after the catch. If he's used right, he could make an impact.

Be interesting to see how Nailor does. Vikes found Thielen as an UDFA, so maybe they snagged another diamond in the rough late with Nailor. Certainly seems to be a hard worker and eager student of the game. This team is primed for one of the WRs to win that WR3 role and run with it. Who is going to do that this season? Can't wait to find out.
For what it's worth, Jalen Nailor was Paul Allen's surprise player of OTAs.
Paul Allen wrote:From where he was taken as deep in the draft and from what I saw at rookie camp and a little bit at minicamp, man, Jalen’s tough. He’s going to make the team, and I think he’s going to contribute.
Interesting perspective.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

VikingLord wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:21 pm

WHEN DOES CAMP START?

Booth is the CB from Clemson. Evans was Missouri. I like Evans a lot also.
I think KJ Osborn has won the WR3 role and will run with it very nicely. I'm not saying he doesn't have to fend off competition, but as of now the job is his to lose.
Last edited by VikingsVictorious on Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:24 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:23 pm

WHEN DOES CAMP START?
The only bad thing about training camp starting is, that means winter is just behind the corner. And the older I get, the more I hate this state. I wish to god I had stayed in Orlando.
I moved to Arizona, but Flagstaff elevation 7000 feet. We get twice the snow as Minnesota, but it usually melts within a few days and it warms up 40 degrees from the overnight low.