Kirk Cousins calls a meeting this offseason....

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Kirk Cousins calls a meeting this offseason....

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Thaumaturgist wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:18 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:14 pm I want to get something out in the open regarding Kirk that I haven't seen discussed. I think a lot of people's problem with him is personality and who he is rather than the player. He is the clean cut wholesome Christian and is very representative of suburban White America. He has a ridiculous amount of money yet chooses to drive a nice, but very boring van. I don't think he has any bling or tats. JJ said he doesn't have the "SWAG" of Burroughs. He will never culturally fit in with most of the rest of the league. He plays very well and has helped his WRs put up big numbers. Hopefully his teammates appreciate and respect him even though he isn't one of the boys.
That isn't my problem... I feel like I would relate closer to him on a personal level than a lot of the other athletes on this team.
So you are not among the lot of people that I'm referring too. Maybe you're kind of like me and don't see swag as a good thing. You like a more humble down to Earth type.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Kirk Cousins has no Swag.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:12 am Kirk Cousins has no Swag.

I don't even know what swag is and don't even care. Two things that people keep pointing out about Cousins is he's not a competitor and he doesn't care if the team he is playing for wins or loses. Any person that makes it to the highest level of a sport is a competitor. He guided his college team, MSU, to the first ever big ten championship game in 2011. If he doesn't care about winning how did he get to that game? He also beat Nick Foles out for the starting job at MSU. Foles didn't want to compete anymore with Cousins and transferred out. That's a SB winning QB who didn't like competition.
From
There are only maybe 30 practice repetitions in a day, and RGIII was getting every last one of them. So Cousins would wait until practice was over and the others cleared the field. Then, he and quarterbacks coach Matt LaFleur would go through the entire practice script, running the plays on air. IMO that's getting yourself prepared and putting in extra work. Yes I wanted us to pick Matt Jones and some feel I must think Cousins sucks then. No I have watch a long time and I know the importance of the QB position and when a top ranked prospect, who some felt would be picked at No 3, slides to your pick you jump on it. Now we sit with Mond who is working on his foot work and throwing motion. Don't sound to good. He's at square 1.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:20 am I wanted us to pick Matt Jones and some feel I must think Cousins sucks then.
Correction, you wanted to give up 3 1sts, Kirk Cousins and Anthony Barr to move up and draft Mac Jones, something you never would have suggested if you thought Cousins was good enough.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:20 am

I don't even know what swag is and don't even care. Two things that people keep pointing out about Cousins is he's not a competitor and he doesn't care if the team he is playing for wins or loses. Any person that makes it to the highest level of a sport is a competitor. He guided his college team, MSU, to the first ever big ten championship game in 2011. If he doesn't care about winning how did he get to that game? He also beat Nick Foles out for the starting job at MSU. Foles didn't want to compete anymore with Cousins and transferred out. That's a SB winning QB who didn't like competition.
From
There are only maybe 30 practice repetitions in a day, and RGIII was getting every last one of them. So Cousins would wait until practice was over and the others cleared the field. Then, he and quarterbacks coach Matt LaFleur would go through the entire practice script, running the plays on air. IMO that's getting yourself prepared and putting in extra work. Yes I wanted us to pick Matt Jones and some feel I must think Cousins sucks then. No I have watch a long time and I know the importance of the QB position and when a top ranked prospect, who some felt would be picked at No 3, slides to your pick you jump on it. Now we sit with Mond who is working on his foot work and throwing motion. Don't sound to good. He's at square 1.
I appreciate what you have to say here, but if you didn't listen to the tweet listen to it. It's funny.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:36 am
CharVike wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:20 am I wanted us to pick Matt Jones and some feel I must think Cousins sucks then.
Correction, you wanted to give up 3 1sts, Kirk Cousins and Anthony Barr to move up and draft Mac Jones, something you never would have suggested if you thought Cousins was good enough.
Why do you keep bringing that up. Jones was there at our spot and I said select him. Check it out. Don't forget you said we need to sign Cam. You thought he was great. He's a bum and is still sitting out there. He couldn't hit the ocean from the beach. Yes I said pick Jones at our spot. You are correct. I also wanted Hamilton this year and he was at our spot. That's the best safety in the draft.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:57 pm
Why do you keep bringing that up. Jones was there at our spot and I said select him. Check it out. Don't forget you said we need to sign Cam. You thought he was great. He's a bum and is still sitting out there. He couldn't hit the ocean from the beach. Yes I said pick Jones at our spot. You are correct. I also wanted Hamilton this year and he was at our spot. That's the best safety in the draft.
Lewis Cine was the best safety in the draft. :govikes:
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:02 pm
Lewis Cine was the best safety in the draft. :govikes:
That's fair. I hope you are correct because he's on our team. I just like what this Hamilton guy did. He moves different. I'm sure Cine will be in the lineup. I also think the G we selected in round 2 will be in the lineup. At least we signed a couple of vet guards that can help the young guys and provided adequate play when/if needed. That will help Davis and Bradberry also. Bradberry has the potential to turn it around because I read he added some mass. You never know.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Why do you keep bringing that up. Jones was there at our spot and I said select him.
Because you keep lying and claiming you just wanted him at our spot, when the reality is that before he fell you wanted to trade up 3 1sts, Kirk Cousins and Anthony Barr for him. With one scenario you might like Kirk, but want to prepare for the future, with the other, you clearly don't think Kirk is good enough and want to move on.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Cliff wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:20 pm
I love that song. Kirk isn't an outright nerd, but for a Parody I think this does show how he fits in culturally with the rest of the NFL.

Is that Donny Osmond? It is. I've watched this video 10 maybe 20 times and first time I caught that.
Somebody needs to make a parody of this parody featuring Kirk and his Van. I don't have the skillz.

You can't make this stuff up. He called his old gray van The Gray Ghost. Somebody hit him and totaled it. He bought a new white van and posted on Instagram

Yes a Lord of the Rings quote featuring Gandalf.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

Cousins was a lot more like Sauron (sp?). The bad wizard. Like Cousins he stole money and power from people, pretending he could make the (NFL) football life better. He HASNT lived up to his contract. Yet keeps getting a new contract. All this time we could have been trying out a new rookie. Couldn't have a worse record of Cousins were it counts. Wins, Championships and the SB.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:39 pm Cousins was a lot more like Sauron (sp?). The bad wizard. Like Cousins he stole money and power from people, pretending he could make the (NFL) football life better. He HASNT lived up to his contract. Yet keeps getting a new contract. All this time we could have been trying out a new rookie. Couldn't have a worse record of Cousins were it counts. Wins, Championships and the SB.
Saruman is the bad Wizard. Sauron is not a wizard. I forget his class of being. However, you got it so wrong. If he wasn't worth his contract the Vikings wouldn't resign him. They agree with me that he is very good.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:33 pm
JJBreaksRecords wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:39 pm Cousins was a lot more like Sauron (sp?). The bad wizard. Like Cousins he stole money and power from people, pretending he could make the (NFL) football life better. He HASNT lived up to his contract. Yet keeps getting a new contract. All this time we could have been trying out a new rookie. Couldn't have a worse record of Cousins were it counts. Wins, Championships and the SB.
Saruman is the bad Wizard. Sauron is not a wizard. I forget his class of being. However, you got it so wrong. If he wasn't worth his contract the Vikings wouldn't resign him. They agree with me that he is very good.
Incorrect. The 1 year extension indicates they feel the same way as people who want to move on from Kirk feel about him. That he isn't good enough and that we should move on.

The big difference being that ownership refuses to take a significant L to do so. They want to move on, they just want to do it while winning 9 games with Kirk Cousins while they try to find his replacement. They are hedging their bets with the extension, and hoping they really find their guy over the next two drafts. Stupid move if you truly want to do what it takes to win the SB, but I am convinced this ownership group cares more about remaining average or better than they are about winning it all.

Unless you know of other "very good" QBs who only got 1 year extensions?
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Kind of strange time of the year to be having super-secret meetings with the top leaders of the team, but then again, maybe it's the perfect time to have those kinds of meetings. Still, reading this almost sounds like a propaganda piece from the Vikings to pump up the fan base during the offseason.

One thing is sure - the Wilfs love Cousins, they hired a GM and head coach who think they can win with Cousins, and like it or not, Cousins is going to be the Vikings starting QB for the foreseeable future. If he did really call a meeting like this and it really did go over as well as it was portrayed, that is great. Even if it didn't go over all that well, it's still at least a sign that Cousins is making an effort at leadership.

Still feeling lukewarm about this upcoming season. The Vikings need a lot of things to go very right for this season to have a hope of turning out better than last season.