OTA's Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

OTA's Thread

Post by VikingsVictorious »

This is the place to discuss what happens at all the OTAs before actual training camp. Then a new thread should be opened for Training Camp.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: OTA's Thread

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Some news from OTA's. Holder Oli has been moved back to T. They screwed the guy over moving him to G. Square beg in round hole. If he can be a swing T that would be ideal for us. Of course this is only OTA so they are just looking at things. At least they are looking.

After watching practice at OTAs, Chad Graff wrote:

“Ihmir Smith-Marsette came down with an impressive catch during one drill. He’s part of the reason the Vikings didn’t feel the need to add a wide receiver early in the draft. The Vikings are excited to see how the 2021 fifth-round pick progresses after impressing the previous coaching staff in training camp last year.”

Bisi Johnson also made some plays on offense and could battle with Smith-Marsette for the No. 4 receiver spot. That leaves the Vikings with five solid wide receiver options, including Justin Jefferson, Adam Thielen and KJ Osborn.

Another note from the offensive line: Oli Udoh has moved back to offensive tackle and is poised to be the team’s backup swing tackle.

Running back Dalvin Cook might end up seeing more opportunities in the passing game, lining up in bunch sets as a receiver during OTAs
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Kirk interview

Top comment on the page that as a Kirk supporter/Stan whatever I enjoyed.

Vladimir
1 day ago
Kirk is becoming wildly underrated, can’t wait to see what he’s able to do with KOC this year! Here’s some stats for all the Kirk haters that push the false narrative that he only checks down.
2021 stats:
Completions of 20+ yards:
1. Tom Brady: 75
2. Derek Carr: 67
3. Matthew Stafford: 65
4. Kirk Cousins: 60
Completions of 40+ yards
1. Matthew Stafford: 18
3. Justin Herbert: 15
4. Joe Burrow: 15
5. Patrick Mahomes: 11
6. Kirk Cousins/ Russel Wilson/ Aaron Rodgers/ Derek Carr/ Tom Brady: 10

Kirk had the 6th most air yards in the league in 2021.

The Vikings offensive line last year allowed the second highest pressure rate in the league.

Dealing with that pressure, Kirk got knocked down the 4th most amount of times of any QB in the league, yet had just the 25th most sacks in the league.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:29 pm The Vikings offensive line last year allowed the second highest pressure rate in the league.
According to PFF his pressured dropback % was 15th most and the Oline pass blocking efficiency on the year was 19th. Not good but not the 2nd worst.

If he was pressured 2nd most, with how poorly he played when pressured (3rd lowest YPA and a worse completion percentage when pressured than Justin Fields), that offense would have been a complete disaster instead of just the mediocre one that it was.

16th in scoring efficiency with a serviceable pass blocking oline, the best WR in football and a top 5 RB, but that is good enough for some.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

Whats a kirk hater? Souunds like something a 2nd grader would make up.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:29 pm Kirk interview

Vladimir
1 day ago
Kirk is becoming wildly underrated, can’t wait to see what he’s able to do with KOC this year! Here’s some stats for all the Kirk haters that push the false narrative that he only checks down.
2021 stats:
Completions of 40+ yards

The Vikings offensive line last year allowed the second highest pressure rate in the league.

Dealing with that pressure, Kirk got knocked down the 4th most amount of times of any QB in the league, yet had just the 25th most sacks in the league.
Damn, that says a lot, get the oline going and he should have a record year. Also seen a stat that we need to start using play action more, barely used it at all last year. Let’s go Kirk!
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

allday1991 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:14 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:29 pm Kirk interview

Vladimir
1 day ago
2021 stats:
Completions of 40+ yards

Damn, that says a lot, get the oline going and he should have a record year. Also seen a stat that we need to start using play action more, barely used it at all last year. Let’s go Kirk!
As I wrote above, that stat is not true and neither is the stat you are posting about play action where Kirk had the 14th highest play action rate of any QB last year.

On top of that, many believe that KOC was not retained in Washington because he refused to run play action:
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2020/1/21 ... f-2020-nfl
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:09 am Whats a kirk hater? Souunds like something a 2nd grader would make up.
If you can't recognize that you're a Kirk Hater you really need to sit down and do some self evaluation. If you prefer the word detractor or some other that's just semantics.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

It's weird that some will praise our OL and yet we picked an OT round 1 and a G round 2 the last 2 drafts. If you look at the final grades our OL is ####. Yes it's been proven you can win games even if your OL sucks. I wouldn't go that route but I'm not a GM. I would do what the Chiefs did. Clean the slate off and start over. Maybe we will get a miracle and our line will be PFF top 10. I doubt it.
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:09 am Whats a kirk hater? Souunds like something a 2nd grader would make up.
It's the label that's been created to shut down any differing dialog about said player. Don't let the name calling get to you. It's not supposed to be allowed, but is for some reason.
Board Rules wrote: viewtopic.php?t=20204#:~:text=%22Good%2 ... e%20poster.

"Good fan" / "Bad fan" posts are not permitted. Just because you disagree with someone's views doesn't mean that they're not as much of a fan as you are. Disagree and respond to the post, do not attack the poster.
You see, it's much easier to just label someone who doesn't agree with you on a particular topic as a "hater" than to refute the content of the post and/or just walk away....
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:50 am
If you can't recognize that you're a Kirk Hater you really need to sit down and do some self evaluation. If you prefer the word detractor or some other that's just semantics.
I dont even know Kirk. I just KNOW he will never come close to bringing us a chapionship. Would rather waste this year with a bridge QB, and have all the cap space once Cousins left.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Thaumaturgist wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:27 pm
It's the label that's been created to shut down any differing dialog about said player. Don't let the name calling get to you. It's not supposed to be allowed, but is for some reason.
Board Rules wrote: viewtopic.php?t=20204#:~:text=%22Good%2 ... e%20poster.

"Good fan" / "Bad fan" posts are not permitted. Just because you disagree with someone's views doesn't mean that they're not as much of a fan as you are. Disagree and respond to the post, do not attack the poster.
You see, it's much easier to just label someone who doesn't agree with you on a particular topic as a "hater" than to refute the content of the post and/or just walk away....
I've NEVER tried to shut down JJ. I'm just stating what is clearly factual. He's against Cousins. He thinks he's the wrong QB for the Vikings and will be thrilled the moment we get rid of him. I don't get what is wrong with the word hater. If hater is a bad word than detractor. What's the difference? I accepted Supporter or Stan for myself. It's not good fan bad fan stuff. It's just a question of perception. How do we perceive our QB. Good, Average, Bad or whatever.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:30 am
allday1991 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:14 am

As I wrote above, that stat is not true and neither is the stat you are posting about play action where Kirk had the 14th highest play action rate of any QB last year.

On top of that, many believe that KOC was not retained in Washington because he refused to run play action:
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2020/1/21 ... f-2020-nfl

I haven’t seen anything suggesting he wasn’t the 4th most pressured qb and the 2 most hit. Cousins registered 93 pass plays under center w/o play action, the next closest was Mac Jones at 55, and no other player had more than 36.

I find whatever he did in Washington irrelevant, it was a team with half the roster we have, play calling for the two teams will look polar opposite.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:02 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:50 am
I dont even know Kirk. I just KNOW he will never come close to bringing us a chapionship. Would rather waste this year with a bridge QB, and have all the cap space once Cousins left.
You KNOW something that is flat out impossible to know. Do you dislike being called a Cousins hater? If I thought like you I would totally embrace being called a Cousins hater. I'd be proud to wear that label. What word do you want to refer to your stance against Cousins as our QB. I will refer to you that way and that way only. Does detractor seem appropriate?