Ty Chandler

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Ty Chandler

Post by VikingsVictorious »

CharVike wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:58 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 1:30 pm
Yeah I've been around long enough to take highlights with a huge grain of salt, but Chandler looks good on film Real good. He had the numbers to back it up also and he's a complete back who can run, catch and block. Vikings got a steal.
The value of RBs isn't there anymore. Plus Chandler was playing at 23 years old his last year. Somehow he was able to play 5 years of college ball. The first 4 were at Tenn and then he transferred. I know 23 isn't old but in college your a dinosaur. He will be 24 in May. That might have something to do with it also. It looks like he can do everything very well. Maybe he can line up in the slot.
Deebo Samuel hybrid rb/wr came to my mind immediately upon seeing him. He is old for entering the NFL, but since he plays RB and his shelf life is limited anyway that doesn't matter much.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:22 am
The value of RBs isn't there anymore. Plus Chandler was playing at 23 years old his last year. Somehow he was able to play 5 years of college ball. The first 4 were at Tenn and then he transferred. I know 23 isn't old but in college your a dinosaur. He will be 24 in May. That might have something to do with it also. It looks like he can do everything very well. Maybe he can line up in the slot.
Deebo Samuel hybrid rb/wr came to my mind immediately upon seeing him. He is old for entering the NFL, but since he plays RB and his shelf life is limited anyway that doesn't matter much.
I think that's exactly how he fits. The bottom line when you get the ball into a guys hands with running ability they can make something happen which is huge. His age and the fact that he transferred will help him with his transition into the NFL. He has a good chance to help right away just based on his age. I think it was a very good pick. They did a good job overall with the picks and I like that 6th round OT. He is the steal in my mind. I won't revisit round 1 again.
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

VikingsFan84 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:18 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:05 am Todd said he viewed him as a starter and gushed over the pick.
I sure hope so, release or trade Cook and start Chandler
There are already rumblings in the local media about going to more of a running back by committee approach in the future based on this pick. Investing big money in running backs appears to be a thing of the past. I have liked backs who are also a big part of the passing game since Chuck Foreman. Having a high paid one dimensional runner like we had with AP can make for great highlights but limits a teams options in the passing game.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

StanM wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:55 am

There are already rumblings in the local media about going to more of a running back by committee approach in the future based on this pick. Investing big money in running backs appears to be a thing of the past. I have liked backs who are also a big part of the passing game since Chuck Foreman. Having a high paid one dimensional runner like we had with AP can make for great highlights but limits a teams options in the passing game.
I think all of our RBs are pretty decent at receiving, but Chandler seems a cut above.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 1:30 pm
Yeah I've been around long enough to take highlights with a huge grain of salt, but Chandler looks good on film Real good. He had the numbers to back it up also and he's a complete back who can run, catch and block. Vikings got a steal.
Covid extra year granted to all cfb (and other sports) athletes. He was also a grad transfer.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

makila wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:55 pm
Covid extra year granted to all cfb (and other sports) athletes. He was also a grad transfer.
Thanks for explaining that.
VikeFanForEver
Waterboy

Post by VikeFanForEver »

I really do not think his age (24 yrs.) is much of an issue, if at all. That’s just a media narrative. If T. Chandler can be productive for 4 to 6 years that’s good...and if he gets 6 to 8 years of good productivity or even more...then that’s great for him and hopefully us as well (ie we sign him to 2nd contract). RB’s tend to get battered and bruised (if not worse) through out their careers. If T. Chandler is still playing well at 31/32, let alone even playing, then he has more than beaten the odds.

Bottom Line...T. Chandler (A+) was a great pick and I can hardly wait to see how new coaching staff uses him.
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:33 am

I can tell you they arent doing either of those things. I'm guessing it's more along the lines of a Mattison replacement next year. Good value that late in the draft but Dalvin Cook isnt going anywhere right now.
Hard to replace cook. His problem is staying healthy, missing games. What kind of a season would cook have if he stayed healthy.

I am not knocking chandler. He may be the man in another year, maybe this year if cook gets hurt
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:33 am
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:05 am Todd said he viewed him as a starter and gushed over the pick.
Todd McShay right?
One of the best route runners I've ever seen from an RB coming out of college. He can be the next Deebo Samuel RB/WR Hybrid. Only downside is I think he just turned 24. On the plus side he wasn't a featured back until this last season so there's still a lot of tread on his tires. :D

Here's some analysis of his game.
Probably an error to sign RBs to 2nd contract anyway. I think the age is a non factor at that position.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

fiestavike wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:33 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:33 am
Todd McShay right?
One of the best route runners I've ever seen from an RB coming out of college. He can be the next Deebo Samuel RB/WR Hybrid. Only downside is I think he just turned 24. On the plus side he wasn't a featured back until this last season so there's still a lot of tread on his tires. :D

Here's some analysis of his game.
Probably an error to sign RBs to 2nd contract anyway. I think the age is a non factor at that position.
Exactly.

I said this two years ago about Dalvin Cook and just about got laughed off the board. I also said I wouldn’t pay a running back more than $4 million … again, howls of laughter.

Now we have a modern NFL coach with a high IQ in the passing game, yet we pay our 3/4 time running back $13 million while we scream about cap space. Who’s laughing now? I’ll tell you who. Los Angeles, which had no RB start more than 10 games when they won The Bowl last year. Tampa Bay, who won a SB two years ago with a running back on a 1-year, $3 million deal. The Chiefs, whose leading rusher had fewer than 500 yards. The Patriots, who paid their RB1 $480,000. The Eagles, whose RB1 had 700 yards and made $1.25 million. Need I go on?

This has nothing to do with Dalvin Cook. It has everything to do with the fact that modern NFL teams don’t need a highly paid running back who threatens 2,000 yards. The last team to win the Super Bowl with the NFL’s leading rusher was Denver in 1998. That’s 24 years ago if you’re counting.

And frankly, I’m tired of talking about how good Dalvin Cook could be if he could stay healthy. He can’t. Don’t get me wrong. He’s fun to watch. If he’s wearing Vikings purple, I’m cheering my butt off for him. I love Cook. But I loved him more on his rookie deal. Drafting a guy like Chandler is smart. He’s pretty much what you look for in a modern RB — fast, good runner, good in pass pro, good receiver … and cheap.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

Kapp11 hit the nail squarely on the head with that post. Two things i wished the new GM and HC would do this year, was to put both Cousins and Cook on the trading block as soon as they could. They didnt do either. If Cousins goes down this year we are toast. Not because hes a great QB, but because I bet this team would either overpay for a QB, like they did with Bradford, or try and play Manion or Mond. Either would be a disaster i think, and I really like Mond. :govikes:
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:06 pm

Exactly.

I said this two years ago about Dalvin Cook and just about got laughed off the board. I also said I wouldn’t pay a running back more than $4 million … again, howls of laughter.

Now we have a modern NFL coach with a high IQ in the passing game, yet we pay our 3/4 time running back $13 million while we scream about cap space. Who’s laughing now? I’ll tell you who. Los Angeles, which had no RB start more than 10 games when they won The Bowl last year. Tampa Bay, who won a SB two years ago with a running back on a 1-year, $3 million deal. The Chiefs, whose leading rusher had fewer than 500 yards. The Patriots, who paid their RB1 $480,000. The Eagles, whose RB1 had 700 yards and made $1.25 million. Need I go on?

This has nothing to do with Dalvin Cook. It has everything to do with the fact that modern NFL teams don’t need a highly paid running back who threatens 2,000 yards. The last team to win the Super Bowl with the NFL’s leading rusher was Denver in 1998. That’s 24 years ago if you’re counting.

And frankly, I’m tired of talking about how good Dalvin Cook could be if he could stay healthy. He can’t. Don’t get me wrong. He’s fun to watch. If he’s wearing Vikings purple, I’m cheering my butt off for him. I love Cook. But I loved him more on his rookie deal. Drafting a guy like Chandler is smart. He’s pretty much what you look for in a modern RB — fast, good runner, good in pass pro, good receiver … and cheap.
Our team during the Zim years wasn't a modern day team. They wanted to pound the rock and play great D. That was 50 years ago style. For that style you need a top RB. Titians are doing the same BS and it gets them in the playoffs because they play D but they can't make it out. They pay big for a back also. AP was the same deal for Zim. Paying a RB that type of cap is stupid. Forming your team around a RB is beyond stupid. That was Zim's early 70s style. That's why we are in bad cap shape but that's only part of the problem. I think a 3 WR set fits Cooks mold more so than a traditional set. Much like Robert Smith did in the same set for Green. I'm looking forward to seeing it.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Exactly.

Kapp I still howl with laughter over your idea not to pay any RB more than $4 million a year. Dalvin has played most of the games the last two years and has been great. I'm very glad we have him and I don't mind the amount of cap he is taking up.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:40 pm
Exactly.

Kapp I still howl with laughter over your idea not to pay any RB more than $4 million a year. Dalvin has played most of the games the last two years and has been great. I'm very glad we have him and I don't mind the amount of cap he is taking up.
Thielen hasn't played every game since 2018 and I don't see that changing and he's not cheap either.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:14 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:40 pm
Thielen hasn't played every game since 2018 and I don't see that changing and he's not cheap either.
I think Cook and Thielen have both played often enough and well enough to justify their salaries, but that is debatable. Cook being worth more than $4 Million a year shouldn't be debatable. Other than somebody on a rookie contract show me a Viking at around $4 million a year who produces more value to us than Cook.