Lewis Cine

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Lewis Cine

Post by VikingsVictorious »

I'm very excited to have him. I watched game film on him and he's IMO very good. Most analysts like him a lot. A few question his coverage and ball skills.
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Re: Lewis Cine

Post by VikingsFan84 »

Vikings needed a safety so I am happy with the pick
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Definitely needed a safety.
How about taking the top ranked safety?
Nope, let's get fancy. As usual.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Demi wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:42 pm Definitely needed a safety.
That top ranked safety had to be timed by Sundial. Maybe that's why we didn't take him.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:27 pm
That top ranked safety had to be timed by Sundial. Maybe that's why we didn't take him.
We didn't take him because we needed to trade down to try and fill out a horribly depleted defensive depth chart.
There's a reason the "sundial safety" was drafted the very next pick. And another safety before we ended up with Cine. Who wasn't even a top 5 safety on some rankings. Maybe he fits the defense? Great.
But a first year GM and front office? Making that trade. And then trying to defend not taking the top ranked safety because he couldn't run 40 yards in a straight line fast enough? :rofl:
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Demi wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:00 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:27 pm
We didn't take him because we needed to trade down to try and fill out a horribly depleted defensive depth chart.
There's a reason the "sundial safety" was drafted the very next pick. And another safety before we ended up with Cine. Who wasn't even a top 5 safety on some rankings. Maybe he fits the defense? Great.
But a first year GM and front office? Making that trade. And then trying to defend not taking the top ranked safety because he couldn't run 40 yards in a straight line fast enough? :rofl:
People said the same things when we drafted Treadwell. Speed doesn't matter etc... 4.59 was Hamilton's best timed speed. He ran 4.7s at two Pro days. It gives me cause for pause.
Last edited by VikingsVictorious on Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Didn’t you use to call Captain Munnerlyn a “no good slot midget” and linval Joseph a “fat guy with a bullet in his leg” years ago? You gotta come up with a new name for Cine now. Because when you do, those players tend to prove you wrong.

…..people don’t forget, there’s still some old dogs on this board Demi :D
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

I really wanted Hamilton. Nothing really jumps out about Cine. Every report points out the same thing and that he's not very good in coverage. He doesn't have good ball skills either. Only 2 interceptions in college. Straight line speed can't be compared to playing speed. IMO playing safety is all about ball skills. I think when picking at 12 you should come away with an impact player. The overall projection of him was 2nd round which should translate into a good player. You need to do better than good with pick 12. Bottom line he was a reach but obviously our new DC and other player evaluators felt he was a much better player than the other safeties. I see the high for him as a Brian O'neil type player. Never considered one of the best but will give you solid play game in and game out.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Our new defensive scheme has a lot of 3 safety looks. Harry is not getting faster and Bynum is not exactly a burner. Those guys have some nice ball skills , but speed is not a strength. Cine has the length size and speed.
If he doesn't have great ball skills, maybe that's why he plays as a Safety and not a WR ???
I think it is a great plug and play addition. Will learn from the Hit Man while on the field. He is a student of the game, is a very mature kid, and plays downhill really fast with a mindset to punish.
Instantly makes our team better. That is the key to picks !
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:41 am I really wanted Hamilton. Nothing really jumps out about Cine. Every report points out the same thing and that he's not very good in coverage. He doesn't have good ball skills either. Only 2 interceptions in college. Straight line speed can't be compared to playing speed. IMO playing safety is all about ball skills. I think when picking at 12 you should come away with an impact player. The overall projection of him was 2nd round which should translate into a good player. You need to do better than good with pick 12. Bottom line he was a reach but obviously our new DC and other player evaluators felt he was a much better player than the other safeties. I see the high for him as a Brian O'neil type player. Never considered one of the best but will give you solid play game in and game out.
Hamilton could turn out to be Treadwell. Simply not enough speed for the NFL game. It was enough to make me want somebody else at 12 which was Jordan Davis. We didn't pick Cine at 12 we traded back and eventually came away with 4 second round picks more or less and a 4th instead of one first and one second and one 3rd. I'm confident that Cine and Booth will be quite good players. Less so with Ingram and Asamoah.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:44 am
CharVike wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:41 am I really wanted Hamilton. Nothing really jumps out about Cine. Every report points out the same thing and that he's not very good in coverage. He doesn't have good ball skills either. Only 2 interceptions in college. Straight line speed can't be compared to playing speed. IMO playing safety is all about ball skills. I think when picking at 12 you should come away with an impact player. The overall projection of him was 2nd round which should translate into a good player. You need to do better than good with pick 12. Bottom line he was a reach but obviously our new DC and other player evaluators felt he was a much better player than the other safeties. I see the high for him as a Brian O'neil type player. Never considered one of the best but will give you solid play game in and game out.
Hamilton could turn out to be Treadwell. Simply not enough speed for the NFL game. It was enough to make me want somebody else at 12 which was Jordan Davis. We didn't pick Cine at 12 we traded back and eventually came away with 4 second round picks more or less and a 4th instead of one first and one second and one 3rd. I'm confident that Cine and Booth will be quite good players. Less so with Ingram and Asimoah.
Treadwell problems went far beyond speed. He has a hard time catching passes and that's what did him in.
Sep 16, 2018 — The 2016 first-round pick dropped three passes in Sunday's 29-29 tie against the Packers, including one that tipped off of his hands for a late interception.
Aug 24, 2020 — Treadwell has struggled with drops thus far in training camp, Will McFadden of the Falcons' official site reports.
WR Speed.. Larry Fitzgerald - 4.63, Jerry Rice - 4.71, Cris Carter - 4.63, Laquon Treadwell - 4.63. The 1st 3 could catch a football very well. Troy Williamson: 4.32 seconds another guy who couldn't catch a football.
I understand speed. Size and speed are always important. I always like the bigger player. We have a cup cake at center who can't block. Lack of size kills him. There are many skills that can't be measured. Some players get a better break on the ball. Nobody can tell why that is. There's no measurement involved. I call it skill level. Hamilton was asked to cover guys one on one at times. Who would ask a slow person to do that? The Ravens had no problem making the pick. If he slide to 27 I could understand.
Cine is not a very good ball athlete no more than that. He's a box safety with great speed who is a high tackler. That's not good either. He will surrender yards while making the tackle. That don't work. In the box you need to stick a player. Once hit it's over. Time will tell and I certainly hope it works in our favor. Right now I don't see that outcome.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:17 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:44 am
Hamilton could turn out to be Treadwell. Simply not enough speed for the NFL game. It was enough to make me want somebody else at 12 which was Jordan Davis. We didn't pick Cine at 12 we traded back and eventually came away with 4 second round picks more or less and a 4th instead of one first and one second and one 3rd. I'm confident that Cine and Booth will be quite good players. Less so with Ingram and Asimoah.
Treadwell problems went far beyond speed. He has a hard time catching passes and that's what did him in.
Sep 16, 2018 — The 2016 first-round pick dropped three passes in Sunday's 29-29 tie against the Packers, including one that tipped off of his hands for a late interception.
Aug 24, 2020 — Treadwell has struggled with drops thus far in training camp, Will McFadden of the Falcons' official site reports.
WR Speed.. Larry Fitzgerald - 4.63, Jerry Rice - 4.71, Cris Carter - 4.63, Laquon Treadwell - 4.63. The 1st 3 could catch a football very well. Troy Williamson: 4.32 seconds another guy who couldn't catch a football.
I understand speed. Size and speed are always important. I always like the bigger player. We have a cup cake at center who can't block. Lack of size kills him. There are many skills that can't be measured. Some players get a better break on the ball. Nobody can tell why that is. There's no measurement involved. I call it skill level. Hamilton was asked to cover guys one on one at times. Who would ask a slow person to do that? The Ravens had no problem making the pick. If he slide to 27 I could understand.
Cine is not a very good ball athlete no more than that. He's a box safety with great speed who is a high tackler. That's not good either. He will surrender yards while making the tackle. That don't work. In the box you need to stick a player. Once hit it's over. Time will tell and I certainly hope it works in our favor. Right now I don't see that outcome.
We shall see. As for Jerry Rice's speed that number was BS. Jerry was fast. Carter and Fitz both have great skill.
I won't be surprised at all if Cine ends up being the best safety from this years draft.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Seems clear Vikings are going with physicality, length, and aggression on defense. I like the way that points. I don't really care if the Vikings occasionally get smoked down field as a consequence of aggression. I want to apply pressure and if other teams are going to beat us they will have to be able to execute downfield. All that underneath BS and hot routes are going nowhere.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:27 pm
CharVike wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:17 pm
We shall see. As for Jerry Rice's speed that number was BS. Jerry was fast. Carter and Fitz both have great skill.
I won't be surprised at all if Cine ends up being the best safety from this years draft.
Jerry Rice had game speed. I don't recall many chasing him down. Much different than lining up in some track position. The Combine is a good deal and can certainly point flaws out. I think the biggest benefit is watching the players and how they react to strange things around them. Let's face it if a player has trained for years running the 40 they will be at a distinct advantage in that event. Same with lifting weights. A person who has done it for years will have an advantage. They know the tricks of the trade. I'm the opposite. It would surprise the hell out of me if Cine is the best. Hamilton is smooth as glass and moves with little effort to my eye. He has a great flow to him. Everything is in sync. This is the second year in a row that I have been jacked up that a player I liked beyond most fell to us and we said no thanks. That's the draft every year I guess. I'm just happy Willis wasn't picked. That's the first thing I looked for. I would have put my fist through a wall if that was the case.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:33 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:27 pm
Jerry Rice had game speed. I don't recall many chasing him down. Much different than lining up in some track position. The Combine is a good deal and can certainly point flaws out. I think the biggest benefit is watching the players and how they react to strange things around them. Let's face it if a player has trained for years running the 40 they will be at a distinct advantage in that event. Same with lifting weights. A person who has done it for years will have an advantage. They know the tricks of the trade. I'm the opposite. It would surprise the hell out of me if Cine is the best. Hamilton is smooth as glass and moves with little effort to my eye. He has a great flow to him. Everything is in sync. This is the second year in a row that I have been jacked up that a player I liked beyond most fell to us and we said no thanks. That's the draft every year I guess. I'm just happy Willis wasn't picked. That's the first thing I looked for. I would have put my fist through a wall if that was the case.
Jerry Rice had speed no matter how you want to define it. The 40 time was BS. Somebody messed up the stop watch or something.
Maybe it was a set up to get him to fall in the draft.
In watching film I like Cine more than Hamilton. Time will tell.
Willis the great went 3-22. Some would have had us take him at 12. I suppose you would have been thrilled if we took him at 66 and you might turn out to be right.