Chris Simms top 5 CBs

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Chris Simms top 5 CBs

Post by Texas Vike »

He leaves Stingley Jr. out of his top 5 and discusses why at about the 40 minute mark. Interesting to hear it, honestly.

Sauce is 1 and McDuffie is 2. Overall, he's not too high on this year's group of CBs, and thinks only Sauce should go in the top 15-20 picks.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Chris Simms top 5 CBs

Post by allday1991 »

Texas Vike wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:00 pm [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtGM9dvOfAI[/youtube]

He leaves Stingley Jr. out of his top 5 and discusses why at about the 40 minute mark. Interesting to hear it, honestly.

Sauce is 1 and McDuffie is 2. Overall, he's not too high on this year's group of CBs, and thinks only Sauce should go in the top 15-20 picks.
I also find Stingleys recent draft rise surprising as well. When the mocks first started and the majority of early draft had us picking him, not much of a college fan I looked up some videos and scouting reports on him and mostly read that he had a great freshman year and has struggled since with injuries and poor play. Even then most mocks said we were probably reaching on talent and he’s probably 16-20 adp. It was clear it was a boom or bust potential type of pick, then he goes and runs a 4.37 and all of a sudden he won’t likely fall to us? Even still at 12 I feel like Stingley is a reach in terms of expected payout I definitely agree with Simms where the scouts/mockers are really basing so much on projection with him.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

allday1991 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:37 pm
Texas Vike wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:00 pm [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtGM9dvOfAI[/youtube]

I also find Stingleys recent draft rise surprising as well. When the mocks first started and the majority of early draft had us picking him, not much of a college fan I looked up some videos and scouting reports on him and mostly read that he had a great freshman year and has struggled since with injuries and poor play. Even then most mocks said we were probably reaching on talent and he’s probably 16-20 adp. It was clear it was a boom or bust potential type of pick, then he goes and runs a 4.37 and all of a sudden he won’t likely fall to us? Even still at 12 I feel like Stingley is a reach in terms of expected payout I definitely agree with Simms where the scouts/mockers are really basing so much on projection with him.
If he hasn't played good since year 1 in college why would any team pick him in round 1? You have a risk it pick versus stupid pick. Remember you get what you draft. He hasn't done anything in years.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

I think this is pretty relevant too because Simms is known as a pretty highly touted talent evaluator. Makes me question if I want Stingley now or not.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:06 am I think this is pretty relevant too because Simms is known as a pretty highly touted talent evaluator. Makes me question if I want Stingley now or not.
Isn’t our new DB coach LSU’s old DC? He showed know exactly what your getting with Stingley, if he’s there and we pass that will say a lot.
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

I don’t hold much water to mocks. Especially the draft. Only a small percentage of there picks are right. The best thing about them is it gives the average fan some insight to talent.

The oddsmay favor there top picks.How many first rounders, second rounder fail to make expectations then you find the Kurt Warner’s, Adam Theilan. Stephon Diggs as a third rounder, probably out shown higher rated receivers of his class. Didn’t we draft a offensive lineman rated real high, looking a possible bust. Randle is in the hall of fame, was Undrafted. Would a team have taken him first pick if they knew"smallbsamplings.

No one can understand the heart of some players. Johnny Manzell, Mayfied to an extent.

If one could pick one top player that’s available to them at there pick. They could possibly have a hall of fame draft

But they are a good tool for the average fan to get a basic idea of talent :govikes:
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

allday1991 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:00 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:06 am I think this is pretty relevant too because Simms is known as a pretty highly touted talent evaluator. Makes me question if I want Stingley now or not.
Isn’t our new DB coach LSU’s old DC? He showed know exactly what your getting with Stingley, if he’s there and we pass that will say a lot.
Yes that is true.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

That's exactly my reaction. I watched his breakdown of the Edge rushers, and he has a similar glaring omission on his top 5: Thibodeaux.

Regarding Stingley: I think if he's there at our pick and we pass, he'll slide into the 20s or later.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:34 am
allday1991 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:00 am

Yes that is true.
That's a great point.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Texas Vike wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:50 am
That's exactly my reaction. I watched his breakdown of the Edge rushers, and he has a similar glaring omission on his top 5: Thibodeaux.

Regarding Stingley: I think if he's there at our pick and we pass, he'll slide into the 20s or later.
Yup I have Thibodeaux way down on my board as well. Stingley I did not though but with what Simms said, this really makes me wonder. Andrew Booth from Clemson is shooting up and I'm really starting to like him.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Foreman44 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:58 am I don’t hold much water to mocks. Especially the draft. Only a small percentage of there picks are right. The best thing about them is it gives the average fan some insight to talent.

The oddsmay favor there top picks.How many first rounders, second rounder fail to make expectations then you find the Kurt Warner’s, Adam Theilan. Stephon Diggs as a third rounder, probably out shown higher rated receivers of his class. Didn’t we draft a offensive lineman rated real high, looking a possible bust. Randle is in the hall of fame, was Undrafted. Would a team have taken him first pick if they knew"smallbsamplings.

No one can understand the heart of some players. Johnny Manzell, Mayfied to an extent.

If one could pick one top player that’s available to them at there pick. They could possibly have a hall of fame draft

But they are a good tool for the average fan to get a basic idea of talent :govikes:
Good points, but I need to point out that Stephon Diggs was a 5th round pick. Not a third. .
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Do we as a board officially no longer want Stingley?
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Chris Simms knows CBs. He threw to them a lot. Heh.

He has some good, and bad, takes like most. I'll give him credit that he generally owns his misses.

The Vikings have two defensive coaches with lsu ties. Daronte Jones, our db coach, was LSUs d coordinator last year (2021). In 2019 (the title year for lsu, he was with the Bengals, not lsu). Roy Anderson, our defensive backs asst coach, in 2019 was a defensive analyst for lsu. He was not on their staff last year under Jones, as he was with the Vikings last year. Fwiw.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:09 pm Do we as a board officially no longer want Stingley?
I was ok with him when mocks first started drafting him to us at 12, the highlight film was impressive. However I think there is just to much risk. Everyone talks about how he was injured his last year so he only played 3 games, well what about the 7 games the year before? What about getting completely shredded by Devonte Smith? The more I think about it a top 12 pick on one good year is just ridiculous, he probably should be a late first early 2nd rounder. Even reading most mock drafts they usually start with “IF stingley shows up in freshman form” why are we betting on a if at 12? I think I’m out with Stingley at 12. If by some miracle we trade with Kc and he falls to the end of the 1st I’d be ok, just can’t justify 12 when we will still likely have players like Davis, Williams still on the board.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

allday1991 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:58 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:09 pm Do we as a board officially no longer want Stingley?
I was ok with him when mocks first started drafting him to us at 12, the highlight film was impressive. However I think there is just to much risk. Everyone talks about how he was injured his last year so he only played 3 games, well what about the 7 games the year before? What about getting completely shredded by Devonte Smith? The more I think about it a top 12 pick on one good year is just ridiculous, he probably should be a late first early 2nd rounder. Even reading most mock drafts they usually start with “IF stingley shows up in freshman form” why are we betting on a if at 12? I think I’m out with Stingley at 12. If by some miracle we trade with Kc and he falls to the end of the 1st I’d be ok, just can’t justify 12 when we will still likely have players like Davis, Williams still on the board.
I'm out too, but if we pick him I'll be all in. :lol: :govikes: