Draft Day Question #3

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Hypothetically, if we HAVE to pick at 12 and these 3 players are on the board, who do you take?

CB- Trent McDuffie
6%
DT- Jordan Davis
41%
S- Kyle Hamilton
53%

Total votes: 17

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Draft Day Question #3

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

The draft board could very well fall this way. Especially if there is a run on early QBs. I like all 3 players, but in this instance, I have to go with BPA and take Hamilton here. Especially given Harrison Smith is on the back end of his career and Bynum is still somewhat of a question mark.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Draft Day Question #3

Post by CharVike »

Hamilton is a player.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

CharVike wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:34 am Hamilton is a player.
I voted Davis, but I’d be ok with Hamilton, just please not McDuffie, really hope Stingley falls to us.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

allday1991 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:02 am
CharVike wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:34 am Hamilton is a player.
I voted Davis, but I’d be ok with Hamilton, just please not McDuffie, really hope Stingley falls to us.
Just curious, why do you dislike McDuffie so much?
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:03 pm
allday1991 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:02 am

Lacks speed and size and doesn’t play the ball as well as I’d like, most scouting reports favour him at nickel etc. Nothing against the guy I’ve just haven’t seen anything that makes me jump out of my seat. There’s a few guys with that potential in the 12-18 area.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

allday1991 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:23 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:03 pm

Lacks speed and size and doesn’t play the ball as well as I’d like, most scouting reports favour him at nickel etc. Nothing against the guy I’ve just haven’t seen anything that makes me jump out of my seat. There’s a few guys with that potential in the 12-18 area.
I have a weird feeling they are going to draft McDuffie at 12. I hope I'm wrong. I dont dislike him but also think that if they really wanted him they could trade down and still get him. I would much rather get him 8 picks later rather than at 12.
-Chazz Palminteri
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

I think his, McDuffie, upside is Antoine Winfield. I also would be disappointed in him at 12.
At 12, I think we have to get a difference maker or trade down and accumulate an additional 1st rd pick.
I think Jordan Davis is my favorite at 12. I like Devonte Wyatt also. Kyle Hamilton is very good, but is he going to transform our defense like a Davis would and the penetration ability of Wyatt ? Jermaine Johnson is also a potentially transforming player that should be there at 12.
I see a lot of quality 3-4 OLB/DE rush backers in the draft. There is quality CB depth too.

Basically, if staying at 12, I hope for a player to be a draft day fall, always happens, but I would like to see:
With the 12th pick in the 2022 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select Jordan Davis Defensive Tackle Georgia
I feel that with Phillips and Tomlinson, we have OL stuffers and not necessarily penetrators. Davis' size and speed is exactly that.

Personally I am a huge fan of trading down, if acquiring 1st and 2nd rd picks. In this scenario, I hope to hear:
With the __th pick in the 2022 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select Devonte Wyatt Defensive Tackle Georgia
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

IIsweet wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:55 am I think his, McDuffie, upside is Antoine Winfield. I also would be disappointed in him at 12.
At 12, I think we have to get a difference maker or trade down and accumulate an additional 1st rd pick.
I think Jordan Davis is my favorite at 12. I like Devonte Wyatt also. Kyle Hamilton is very good, but is he going to transform our defense like a Davis would and the penetration ability of Wyatt ? Jermaine Johnson is also a potentially transforming player that should be there at 12.
I see a lot of quality 3-4 OLB/DE rush backers in the draft. There is quality CB depth too.

Basically, if staying at 12, I hope for a player to be a draft day fall, always happens, but I would like to see:
With the 12th pick in the 2022 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select Jordan Davis Defensive Tackle Georgia
I feel that with Phillips and Tomlinson, we have OL stuffers and not necessarily penetrators. Davis' size and speed is exactly that.

Personally I am a huge fan of trading down, if acquiring 1st and 2nd rd picks. In this scenario, I hope to hear:
With the __th pick in the 2022 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select Devonte Wyatt Defensive Tackle Georgia
Good post and I agree. Wyatt would 100% be one of my top targets if we trade down as well.

As for Jordan Davis, him and Kyle Hamilton are like a 1a and 1b for me. I would be fine with either one. I think both are dominant in their own way.

The fact that we still have to wait a week for the draft is killing me. I hate waiting. I just want to know! lol
-Chazz Palminteri
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

I would take Antoine Winfield at #12 in this draft, if thats the true comp. Give me a decade of great cb play with the #12. I'll take it.

I am not sold McDuffie is winfield though.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

makila wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:05 am I would take Antoine Winfield at #12 in this draft, if thats the true comp. Give me a decade of great cb play with the #12. I'll take it.

winfield was one of my all time favorites. It was like playing with 4 linebackers. He almost gave you an extra man on the field against the run game.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

fiestavike wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:18 am
makila wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:05 am I would take Antoine Winfield at #12 in this draft, if thats the true comp. Give me a decade of great cb play with the #12. I'll take it.

winfield was one of my all time favorites. It was like playing with 4 linebackers. He almost gave you an extra man on the field against the run game.
I love me some Winfield, but wasn’t zimmers philosophy for drafting corners was to draft someone who tackles good but doesn’t cover as well? Wayne’s over Peters? How’d that turn out? It would be nice to have a solid tackler at nickel but at 12. Give me a corner that can lock down over playing the run and tackling, ideally the corner we draft does it all, however I’d rather know there strong point is coverage.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

allday1991 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:56 am
fiestavike wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:18 am

I love me some Winfield, but wasn’t zimmers philosophy for drafting corners was to draft someone who tackles good but doesn’t cover as well? Wayne’s over Peters? How’d that turn out? It would be nice to have a solid tackler at nickel but at 12. Give me a corner that can lock down over playing the run and tackling, ideally the corner we draft does it all, however I’d rather know there strong point is coverage.
Ehhh, I'd still take Waynes over Peters if we re-did that draft. Marcus Peters already has a clone in this league and it's Trevon Diggs. They are both huge gamblers that get burnt just as much as make a play. Trevon Diggs gave up the most yards of any CB in the entire NFL this year but also had the most interceptions. Marcus Peters pulled that off early in his career as well. And then proceeded to bounce from team to team because teams eventually recognize that he was just as much a liability in coverage at times and could really hurt your team. And add onto that, he was also an idiot loud mouth.

Diggs and Peters are illusions. By the sounds of your post, I'm guessing you think Peters was a better cover guy than Waynes. Because you see high interception numbers so that's what fans automatically think is the guy can cover. I would be willing to bet that if you looked into it, in the prime of their careers, Marcus Peters got toasted quite a bit more than Trae Waynes did. I can almost guarantee it.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:31 am
allday1991 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:23 pm

I have a weird feeling they are going to draft McDuffie at 12. I hope I'm wrong. I dont dislike him but also think that if they really wanted him they could trade down and still get him. I would much rather get him 8 picks later rather than at 12.
McDuffie is the player I have seen mocked to us most often. I'm getting psyched for Jordan Davis.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Unless I'm mixing this up I've seen a lot of mocks with Hamilton going 2nd overall. Something happened at the combine to "drop his stock" right?
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:52 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:31 am

McDuffie is the player I have seen mocked to us most often. I'm getting psyched for Jordan Davis.
I have to disagree, majority of mocks think we are big on Stingley.
Derek Stingley Jr. continues to annihilate the field, as he’s got 43 of our 90 selections this week. Yes, he has nearly half of the selections from mock drafters around the internet all to himself. Trent McDuffie continues to hold second place among the defensive backs with 14 selections,
https://www.dailynorseman.com/platform/ ... -nfl-draft