Kirk Cousins calls a meeting this offseason....

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Kirk Cousins calls a meeting this offseason....

Post by StumpHunter »

IIsweet wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:33 am I feel that he was so handcuffed with Zimmer that we had a QB who is a great thrower of the football, but had tight reins on him. He never got to showcase his ability without it being a calculated risk that favored heavily in our favor. Makes me wonder if the sideline altercation between Cousins and Zim was Kirk saying, "I told you that if you let us do this and that, we would score" !!!
I think that KOC says, cut it loose, sling it, we are going to find the mismatches and exploit them. it is time to look for that big play, and hit it! Prior regime was, do not lose the game. Hold onto the ball. Get a 1st down. Run out the clock. It is the same philosophy as Kirk Ferentz at Iowa. If we can run the clock and not make mistakes, it will be a close game in the end. Then if we continue to execute the offense, the other team will make a mistake and we will capitalize. The coaches live by the following quote:
“The secret of success is to do the common things; Uncommonly well” (John D. Rockefeller)
Every quote from last year on this topic was Zimmer saying he wanted Kirk to be more aggressive and we even have quotes of Kirk saying he was "too aggressive" and wanted to take fewer risks.

Kirk's best years were with Zimmer and not Sean McVay or KOC himslef. That is a fact, and going back to McVay's disciple isn't suddenly going to change everything.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:16 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:19 pm Not sure what to think about this super-secret meeting of stars (who exactly were they?).

On one hand, if you're 33 years old and going into your 11th year in the league, you pretty much are who you are as a leader. And if you've just finished your fourth year with the Vikings, and just now they're finally saying "Kirk's my dawg," it doesn't resonate all that much with me.

On the other hand, given the debacle of last year with the coaching staff and GM, galvanizing the team for any reason is a good thing.

In all, it probably won't matter much in the long run. Kirk had notes at this meeting. He was prepared. Kirk is good at preparing with notes. That's never been a question. The question is whether he can be "a dawg" when protection breaks down, or after he throws a pick, or late in the game against a good team.

The Vikings have gone all-in on Kirk. So I definitely hope that KOC can do what he claims he can do, which is to take Cousins to another level. That's what's going to determine his level of dawg, not a meeting.
The very fact he needed this meeting is all you need to know about Kirk's leadership. Allen, Rodgers, Brady, Burrow, Stafford, Jackson, Wilson and the like don't need secret meetings to show they are a leader. Kirk does.
I dont think this was intended to be a "secret meeting to show he is a leader". That's a little fabricated. He simply got the team together, like any QB should. I swear you find a way to downplay every little thing he does.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Player meetings where the guys get on the same page and get excited is always a good thing.
I've been coaching for 20 years and my best teams are the ones where the players take ownership, hold each other accountable, and create great chemistry. The talent level between every NFL team is separated by very little... they are all professional athletes. What separates them is just those very things.
Of course coaching philosophy does have an impact and whether the talent fits the schemes.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:21 am
IIsweet wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:33 am I feel that he was so handcuffed with Zimmer that we had a QB who is a great thrower of the football, but had tight reins on him. He never got to showcase his ability without it being a calculated risk that favored heavily in our favor. Makes me wonder if the sideline altercation between Cousins and Zim was Kirk saying, "I told you that if you let us do this and that, we would score" !!!
I think that KOC says, cut it loose, sling it, we are going to find the mismatches and exploit them. it is time to look for that big play, and hit it! Prior regime was, do not lose the game. Hold onto the ball. Get a 1st down. Run out the clock. It is the same philosophy as Kirk Ferentz at Iowa. If we can run the clock and not make mistakes, it will be a close game in the end. Then if we continue to execute the offense, the other team will make a mistake and we will capitalize. The coaches live by the following quote:
“The secret of success is to do the common things; Uncommonly well” (John D. Rockefeller)
Every quote from last year on this topic was Zimmer saying he wanted Kirk to be more aggressive and we even have quotes of Kirk saying he was "too aggressive" and wanted to take fewer risks.

Kirk's best years were with Zimmer and not Sean McVay or KOC himslef. That is a fact, and going back to McVay's disciple isn't suddenly going to change everything.
Zimmer and Cousins had a relationship that, by the sounds of it, was toxic. Let's not sit here and act like Zim was all buddy buddy with Cousins. Zimmer just started meeting with Cousins weekly for the first time THIS year. And it was Cousins himself that initiated that. What does that say about Zimmer as a coach? Any time someone goes after Zimmer, you immediately flip script and say it was Cousins this and Cousins that. Mike Zimmer was indeed a big problem. Period.

It doesnt take just Cousins to show that. Eric Kendricks and Brian Oneill literally came out and said how the environment was not good, how rookies were treated, the whole fear-based thing (which in this case, fingers point at Zim), etc. Let me remind you, this was ZIMMER'S team. Not Cousins'. I've coached multiple sports for a lot of years. Environments start with the coach. And when players not named Kirk Cousins come out and bash the previous regime saying everything but Mike Zimmer's name, that's a big problem. It could be exactly why someone like Cousins calls this meeting. Because he probably feels like he actually has a voice now. And trust me, that's an actual thing. I can tell you that from personal experience.

Quick story, my junior year, I had a football coach who was a successful coach and a hard as#. He had his favorites and was often a dic#head to anyone that didnt fall in that category. You felt like you were always walking on broken egg shells. He was very "by the book" when it came to how he ran things overall. Everything was his way or the highway.

Anyways, I was the starting X WR. However, he only ever kept me out there when we ran the ball. When we were going to pass, I'd come off and a senior would go out there. It drove me nuts because I knew I was better than that kid. I worked my as# off every day and still was only out there during the running plays. Mid season I even ended a practice with a one handed catch over the middle that my coach was ecstatic about. I thought to myself "okay that has to get me on the field on passing downs". Nope. Not a thing changed the rest of the season. I nearly quit because I didnt know what else I could do to show this guy I was better than the senior. My confidence started to go right in the tank.

Sure enough, my senior year comes along and our football coach retires. The new coach was a guy I knew very well (sound familiar) and was a successful coach at another district. That summer he had us in a passing league and my confidence was through the roof because he wanted me out there and wanted to feed me the ball often. That fall, the season comes along and I flourish. Flourish so much that I ended up getting team captain, 1st team league all star, 1st team All-North and tied for 1st in all of Section 3 for touchdowns.

This, by no means, is to toot my own horn. This simply shows that new coaches that come in and completely change the environment for the greater good, will often have a huge effect on players. More than one would think. More than just "yeah we have a new coach now, not much personnel change". The familiarity and comfortableness Cousins has around KOC could be exactly whats sparking this. Because he actually feels like he has a voice now. Because he knows KOC will actually let him take the reigns and take control. That they will collaborate together EVERY DAY and figure out what works and what doesnt. Not having to deal with someone that's so stuck in their ways that it doesnt matter what you say. Not having someone that will put their defense first over you. This stuff MATTERS. My junior year coach didnt care or want to care how good or bad I was. He knew who he wanted in there and when he wanted them in there. Those were "his guys". Nothing else mattered to him. My senior year coach allowed me to be a leader, instilled confidence, was someone I was comfortable around and found any way he could to get me the ball. The more I tell this the more I realize how eerily similar this is to Cousins and Zimmer.

Again, this stuff MATTERS. By no means am I saying this was all Mike Zimmer and nobody else did anything wrong. But Mike Zimmer was no longer good for Kirk Cousins (if ever), he was no longer good for the rest of the guys in this locker room, he was no longer good for the GM, he was no longer good for this team. Say what you want, tell me about some press conference he bullshi#ted his way through to make it sound like he was the right guy for this team, and so on. I dont care. He wasnt. That's a fact. And if KOC turns this culture around which I think he already has, it's going to show on the field (wins) and off the field (meetings like this one).
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:07 pm The familiarity and comfortableness Cousins has around KOC could be exactly whats sparking this. Because he actually feels like he has a voice now. Because he knows KOC will actually let him take the reigns and take control. That they will collaborate together EVERY DAY and figure out what works and what doesnt. Not having to deal with someone that's so stuck in their ways that it doesnt matter what you say. Not having someone that will put their defense first over you. This stuff MATTERS. My junior year coach didnt care or want to care how good or bad I was. He knew who he wanted in there and when he wanted them in there. Those were "his guys". Nothing else mattered to him. My senior year coach allowed me to be a leader, instilled confidence, was someone I was comfortable around and found any way he could to get me the ball. The more I tell this the more I realize how eerily similar this is to Cousins and Zimmer.
You are projecting. Cousins hasn't even had a practice with KOC as his HC and this is a professional football team with a bunch of adults making millions, not a high school football team.

Here is the other thing, you talk about Cousins "feeling" like he has a voice now and I question why a starting QB of 10 seasons needs his HC allow him to feel that way. Those type of statements just confirm what others say about him not being a leader.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:07 pm

Zimmer and Cousins had a relationship that, by the sounds of it, was toxic. Let's not sit here and act like Zim was all buddy buddy with Cousins. Zimmer just started meeting with Cousins weekly for the first time THIS year. And it was Cousins himself that initiated that. What does that say about Zimmer as a coach? Any time someone goes after Zimmer, you immediately flip script and say it was Cousins this and Cousins that. Mike Zimmer was indeed a big problem. Period.

It doesnt take just Cousins to show that. Eric Kendricks and Brian Oneill literally came out and said how the environment was not good, how rookies were treated, the whole fear-based thing (which in this case, fingers point at Zim), etc. Let me remind you, this was ZIMMER'S team. Not Cousins'. I've coached multiple sports for a lot of years. Environments start with the coach. And when players not named Kirk Cousins come out and bash the previous regime saying everything but Mike Zimmer's name, that's a big problem. It could be exactly why someone like Cousins calls this meeting. Because he probably feels like he actually has a voice now. And trust me, that's an actual thing. I can tell you that from personal experience.

Quick story, my junior year, I had a football coach who was a successful coach and a hard as#. He had his favorites and was often a dic#head to anyone that didnt fall in that category. You felt like you were always walking on broken egg shells. He was very "by the book" when it came to how he ran things overall. Everything was his way or the highway.

Anyways, I was the starting X WR. However, he only ever kept me out there when we ran the ball. When we were going to pass, I'd come off and a senior would go out there. It drove me nuts because I knew I was better than that kid. I worked my as# off every day and still was only out there during the running plays. Mid season I even ended a practice with a one handed catch over the middle that my coach was ecstatic about. I thought to myself "okay that has to get me on the field on passing downs". Nope. Not a thing changed the rest of the season. I nearly quit because I didnt know what else I could do to show this guy I was better than the senior. My confidence started to go right in the tank.

Sure enough, my senior year comes along and our football coach retires. The new coach was a guy I knew very well (sound familiar) and was a successful coach at another district. That summer he had us in a passing league and my confidence was through the roof because he wanted me out there and wanted to feed me the ball often. That fall, the season comes along and I flourish. Flourish so much that I ended up getting team captain, 1st team league all star, 1st team All-North and tied for 1st in all of Section 3 for touchdowns.

This, by no means, is to toot my own horn. This simply shows that new coaches that come in and completely change the environment for the greater good, will often have a huge effect on players. More than one would think. More than just "yeah we have a new coach now, not much personnel change". The familiarity and comfortableness Cousins has around KOC could be exactly whats sparking this. Because he actually feels like he has a voice now. Because he knows KOC will actually let him take the reigns and take control. That they will collaborate together EVERY DAY and figure out what works and what doesnt. Not having to deal with someone that's so stuck in their ways that it doesnt matter what you say. Not having someone that will put their defense first over you. This stuff MATTERS. My junior year coach didnt care or want to care how good or bad I was. He knew who he wanted in there and when he wanted them in there. Those were "his guys". Nothing else mattered to him. My senior year coach allowed me to be a leader, instilled confidence, was someone I was comfortable around and found any way he could to get me the ball. The more I tell this the more I realize how eerily similar this is to Cousins and Zimmer.

Again, this stuff MATTERS. By no means am I saying this was all Mike Zimmer and nobody else did anything wrong. But Mike Zimmer was no longer good for Kirk Cousins (if ever), he was no longer good for the rest of the guys in this locker room, he was no longer good for the GM, he was no longer good for this team. Say what you want, tell me about some press conference he bullshi#ted his way through to make it sound like he was the right guy for this team, and so on. I dont care. He wasnt. That's a fact. And if KOC turns this culture around which I think he already has, it's going to show on the field (wins) and off the field (meetings like this one).
Thanks for a positive post. You don't see Zim's phone ringing off the wall for a job do you? I don't think too many teams are chasing him. That tells the story. He built Ds that could stand up to the bottom feeder teams. The good teams beat his Ds a$$ especially in the playoffs. Even the playoff wins his D sucked. The Eagles D in the Champ game played D. Gave up 7 and then scored 7 with a pick 6. That's playoff D. Things can change quickly in the NFL. That Bengal team played very good playoff D. Burrow gets all the credit but he didn't play that well. Stafford is called a great leader. Tell that to Lion fans and I think they will have a different opinion. KOC has a chance. They need to get this defense up from garbage to average first. That needs to happen right now for us to have a chance. I like this new D coordinator. When he was asked what type of front do you use he said we will use what fits our personnel the best. That works for me. Hopefully Kewsi can draft better than Speilman. That's the only way to become a team that can challenge. If his drafting sucks he's done.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:30 pm

You are projecting. Cousins hasn't even had a practice with KOC as his HC and this is a professional football team with a bunch of adults making millions, not a high school football team.
And you arent projecting what happened behind the scenes under Mike Zimmer? Either way, high school or pros, doesnt matter. They are still human beings, they are still effected by things mentally and physically just like any other person is in any other line of work. If you cant stand your boss and that boss leaves and a new boss comes in that you really like, you often improve in a variety of areas yourself. Change matters. Culture matters. Knowing you have a boss that is going to willingly work with you matters. Mike Zimmer did none of those things. If you think it doesnt matter, I dont know what to tell you.
Here is the other thing, you talk about Cousins "feeling" like he has a voice now and I question why a starting QB of 10 seasons needs his HC allow him to feel that way. Those type of statements just confirm what others say about him not being a leader.
lol this article is literally talking about him being a leader and how this team has his back and you're saying he's still not a leader. Again, always downplaying anything he does. You act like it's just Cousins. Multiple veteran QBs have had run-ins with their coach. Plenty of QBs have been in toxic environments. This is nothing new.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:45 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:30 pm

And you arent projecting what happened behind the scenes under Mike Zimmer? Either way, high school or pros, doesnt matter. They are still human beings, they are still effected by things mentally and physically just like any other person is in any other line of work. If you cant stand your boss and that boss leaves and a new boss comes in that you really like, you often improve in a variety of areas yourself. Change matters. Culture matters. Knowing you have a boss that is going to willingly work with you matters. Mike Zimmer did none of those things. If you think it doesnt matter, I dont know what to tell you.
I am not projecting anything, just using common sense. You however are comparing children playing for fun to adults playing for millions. It isn't the same, and while culture does matter, that culture won 13 games and went to the NFCCG after losing its starting QB for the second season in a row.
lol this article is literally talking about him being a leader and how this team has his back and you're saying he's still not a leader. Again, always downplaying anything he does. You act like it's just Cousins. Multiple veteran QBs have had run-ins with their coach. Plenty of QBs have been in toxic environments. This is nothing new.
This article is saying that he has to go to this extra effort to prove he is a leader, which proves he isn't one. You yourself said he needed to feel like his HC wanted him to take charge in order to really start to be a leader, which again, proves he isn't a leader.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:04 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:45 pm

I am not projecting anything, just using common sense. You however are comparing children playing for fun to adults playing for millions. It isn't the same, and while culture does matter, that culture won 13 games and went to the NFCCG after losing its starting QB for the second season in a row.

This article is saying that he has to go to this extra effort to prove he is a leader, which proves he isn't one. You yourself said he needed to feel like his HC wanted him to take charge in order to really start to be a leader, which again, proves he isn't a leader.

:rofl: :deadhorse:
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:14 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:37 pm
Just listening to this podcast where he praised Cousins he was mostly negative. If that's what you consider a supporter I'd hate to hear the detractors.
Are you referring to how he talked about drafting Kirk's replacement? When 0 NFL teams have any interest in trading for your QB and would prefer the corpse of Matt Ryan, that isn't being negative, that is being realistic.

Leber and Charch are both Kirk apologists and both went out of their way to excuse Kirk being a complete failure as a QB. If those guys aren't Kirk supporters, than you might be the only one left.
You're completely out of your mind. Many NFL teams would be very interested in trading for Kirk and he is far from being a complete failure. At the absolute worse evaluation possible Kirk is an average NFL QB. Looking at the positives he's top 10 and possibly top 5. A complete failure would never complete a pass, never throw for a touchdown and never be part of an NFL victory. You were always ridiculous, but now you've gone to being absurd.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

You said Kirk was a complete failure. How could a complete failure have best years. How could a complete failure lead a team with a cellar dweller defense to anywhere near a 500 record? Is it just possible your complete failure line was full of it?
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:16 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:19 pm Not sure what to think about this super-secret meeting of stars (who exactly were they?).

On one hand, if you're 33 years old and going into your 11th year in the league, you pretty much are who you are as a leader. And if you've just finished your fourth year with the Vikings, and just now they're finally saying "Kirk's my dawg," it doesn't resonate all that much with me.

On the other hand, given the debacle of last year with the coaching staff and GM, galvanizing the team for any reason is a good thing.

In all, it probably won't matter much in the long run. Kirk had notes at this meeting. He was prepared. Kirk is good at preparing with notes. That's never been a question. The question is whether he can be "a dawg" when protection breaks down, or after he throws a pick, or late in the game against a good team.

The Vikings have gone all-in on Kirk. So I definitely hope that KOC can do what he claims he can do, which is to take Cousins to another level. That's what's going to determine his level of dawg, not a meeting.
The very fact he needed this meeting is all you need to know about Kirk's leadership. Allen, Rodgers, Brady, Burrow, Stafford, Jackson, Wilson and the like don't need secret meetings to show they are a leader. Kirk does.
Talk about grasping for straws. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:46 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:14 am
Are you referring to how he talked about drafting Kirk's replacement? When 0 NFL teams have any interest in trading for your QB and would prefer the corpse of Matt Ryan, that isn't being negative, that is being realistic.

Leber and Charch are both Kirk apologists and both went out of their way to excuse Kirk being a complete failure as a QB. If those guys aren't Kirk supporters, than you might be the only one left.
You're completely out of your mind. Many NFL teams would be very interested in trading for Kirk and he is far from being a complete failure.
Reports say otherwise and the two teams most likely to make an offer for him, Carolina and Cleveland, both laughed at the idea. Top 5. :point:
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:50 pm

You said Kirk was a complete failure. How could a complete failure have best years.
Being a better version of a failure of a QB in MN than Washington doesn't change the fact that he is still a failure.

How could a complete failure lead a team with a cellar dweller defense to anywhere near a 500 record? Is it just possible your complete failure line was full of it?
You touting a .500 record as a success just proves that we just have different definitions of failure I guess. You see a 3 yard pass on 3rd and 7 and see it as a success, I see it as a failure. You see a QB put up a good passer rating while leading an offense with 31st best TOP and winning 8 games as a success, to me that is a failure. The GB Packers D gave up the exact same amount of points per drive as the Vikings' D, yet one team was the #1 overall seed while the other didn't even make the playoffs. One QB successfully kept his bad D off the field by leading successful drives, the other put his bad D on the field constantly by leading unsuccessful ones.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

I could understand the Vikings offseason better if they had either dumped Kirk (traded or let walk for compensatory picks next year) or empowered Kirk, after firing Zimmer, to help them select a new coach with whom he shared a philosophy. Maybe he would have chosen KOC, but as its been presented, (and based on signing only a one year extension) it seems the Vikings were looking to trade Kirk.

Holding an off-season meeting is I suppose the best thing Kirk could do in the circumstance, but now, even after Zimmer, nothing the Vikings have done suggests they really believe in him or are placing him in a leadership position. I get that, of course. I'm no fan of Cousins, but if I like him enough to extend his contract, I'm damn well gonna do everything I can to put him in a position to succeed, which includes making sure it's clear that this is his team to run as the QB. The Vikings are really on the verge of falling into the NFL abyss if this season goes sideways.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins