Vikings "a good quarterback on a cheaper contract away from being dangerous"

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Vikings "a good quarterback on a cheaper contract away from being dangerous"

Post by Dames »

fiestavike wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:21 pm
Dames wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:11 pm
I was not on board for going after Watson either. Talented player but way too much baggage. Not guilty... but so much smoke surrounding him that's it's a bit hard to trust there is no fire, and there are no doubt going to be civil lawsuits coming, and there could easily be a suspension coming. That said, in a vacuum, Watson would most likely be a big improvement over Cousins on the field. Yes, the cap issue would be worse though, and that is certainly something to consider.
The ability of a QB to make some off schedule plays is really a requirement for a team to contend today. Being able to convert in a situation like that is almost equivalent to picking up a turnover from the other team.
Oh, no doubt about that. There is a reason that Watson is getting so much interest in a trade. He might be able to put all this behind him and go forward with a successful career. I'm just not personally disappointed it's not with the Vikings, because then I would have to cheer for someone that I'm not really sure how to feel about. I don't wish any ill on him though.

I am still holding out hope that we draft a QB with those abilities in the next year or 2.
Damian
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Vikings "a good quarterback on a cheaper contract away from being dangerous"

Post by fiestavike »

Dames wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:36 pm

The ability of a QB to make some off schedule plays is really a requirement for a team to contend today. Being able to convert in a situation like that is almost equivalent to picking up a turnover from the other team.
Oh, no doubt about that. There is a reason that Watson is getting so much interest in a trade. He might be able to put all this behind him and go forward with a successful career. I'm just not personally disappointed it's not with the Vikings, because then I would have to cheer for someone that I'm not really sure how to feel about. I don't wish any ill on him though.

I am still holding out hope that we draft a QB with those abilities in the next year or 2.
Yes, I have not watched enough of Watson to have a strong opinion on him personally, nor have I followed his off the field saga with any meaningful level of attention, so I have no idea what to make of him. But I think you are probably correct that part of the reason he is getting so much attention is his ability to make things happen in the 'second act' of a play.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

i'm ready for a beer.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Nice. This image got me:
Screenshot 2022-03-17 131105.png
Screenshot 2022-03-17 131105.png (333.97 KiB) Viewed 330 times
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Cliff wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:11 pm
Nice. This image got me:

I'm starting to miss Rick.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

fiestavike wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:39 pm
Cliff wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:11 pm

Nice. This image got me:

Meh. Rick is the reason they're in the situation they're in with a roster full of older expensive players and were fighting against Kirk's $45m roster hit. It was either extend Cousins, trade him (you have to have a partner), or let his $45m cap hit stand which would mean even more drastic moves would have to be made in other areas.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Cliff wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:49 pm
fiestavike wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:39 pm

Meh. Rick is the reason they're in the situation they're in with a roster full of older expensive players and were fighting against Kirk's $45m roster hit. It was either extend Cousins, trade him (you have to have a partner), or let his $45m cap hit stand which would mean even more drastic moves would have to be made in other areas.
If a trade was out, I would have gone with Option 3.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Dames wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:11 pm
I was not on board for going after Watson either. Talented player but way too much baggage. Not guilty... but so much smoke surrounding him that's it's a bit hard to trust there is no fire, and there are no doubt going to be civil lawsuits coming, and there could easily be a suspension coming. That said, in a vacuum, Watson would most likely be a big improvement over Cousins on the field. Yes, the cap issue would be worse though, and that is certainly something to consider.
What do you mean by making off schedule plays and that being a requirement for a team to contend today. I'll assume that if a team makes the playoffs they are contenders. If you look at all the playoff QBs there skill sets are very different. Certainly Burrow can't do the things Hurts does and vice versa. But I will assume they both make off schedule plays.