Vikings "a good quarterback on a cheaper contract away from being dangerous"

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Re: Vikings "a good quarterback on a cheaper contract away from being dangerous"

Post by halfgiz »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:22 pm
808vikingsfan wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:45 pm

Just to show how bad the Vikings were. They lost to a winless Lions team. The Vikings were pathetic in 2021.
You can be as negative as you like. Have fun if that floats your boat, but we are dangerous.
Not until we start winning more. Kirk has a 500 winning percentage.
And it remains to be seen if KOC believes in Kirk. The next month either Kirk is gone or he stays.
Going to be a long month between coaches and who we cut and keep.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings "a good quarterback on a cheaper contract away from being dangerous"

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

halfgiz wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:20 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:22 pm
You can be as negative as you like. Have fun if that floats your boat, but we are dangerous.
Not until we start winning more. Kirk has a 500 winning percentage.
And it remains to be seen if KOC believes in Kirk. The next month either Kirk is gone or he stays.
Going to be a long month between coaches and who we cut and keep.
Schefter is reporting that the Vikings believe they can work something out with Cousins. For many Vikings fans, this is terrible news.

Look, the Rams just got to the Super Bowl with Matt Stafford, a guy some on here believe is no better than Cousins. KOC is the Rams’ OC, and from everything I read, about the only thing he *doesn’t* do is call plays. So KOC has to get a lot of credit for Stafford’s success. Obviously you need more than a QB to get to The Bowl, but it’s almost impossible to make it anymore without one.

So if the Vikings keep Cousins, the question becomes pretty simple: Can KOC get more out of Cousins than anyone else has been able to get out of him? If Cousins is truly as good as Stafford, then the answer should be yes.

My problem with this entire scenario has never been Cousins. It’s Cousins at a $45 million cap hit. Everything I’ve posted about Cousins’ shortcomings has NOT been to trash him as a quarterback. It’s been to trash the idea that he’s worth $45 million against the cap. So if the Vikings keep him, I will not be happy unless they get that cap hit down WITHOUT mortgaging future cap hits, like they’ve been doing for years.

That means at some point, Kirk Cousins has to agree to less pay. Forgive my cynicism, but I don’t see him doing that.

When all is said and done, this may not come down to what KAM and KOC want. It may come down to Cousins’ level of greed. If they can’t get him to be satisfied with less, they may be forced to move him.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

There has been some chatter regarding Kirks silence about our new hires. Not to read anything into it but the GM and HC were just fired and he hasn’t said a word. I heard that he didn’t pose for a photo with the other Vikings pro bowl players or say anything about the situation in interviews. They got into this recently on Skor North and made the point that the QB is considered leader of the team and he is the highest paid player. One would think he would have commented on having an offensive minded coach like JJ did.

The media sometimes tries to make stories out of nothing for click bait but in view of all that has happened it seems odd. Could there be something to it, does he know something we don’t about 2022?

This off-season is the gift that is going to keep on giving Vikings fans news all off season. If we can’t win a Super Bowl at least we have some drama to keep us entertained.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StanM wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:16 am There has been some chatter regarding Kirks silence about our new hires. Not to read anything into it but the GM and HC were just fired and he hasn’t said a word. I heard that he didn’t pose for a photo with the other Vikings pro bowl players or say anything about the situation in interviews. They got into this recently on Skor North and made the point that the QB is considered leader of the team and he is the highest paid player. One would think he would have commented on having an offensive minded coach like JJ did.

The media sometimes tries to make stories out of nothing for click bait but in view of all that has happened it seems odd. Could there be something to it, does he know something we don’t about 2022?

This off-season is the gift that is going to keep on giving Vikings fans news all off season. If we can’t win a Super Bowl at least we have some drama to keep us entertained.
There's no news. It's the same old Cousins stuff rolling over and over. It's old and boring as hell. I'd like to hear about the rest of the roster. People act like that means nothing. A team is more than one guy. For example do we have any CBs that can play the game who are on the bench? Is this Hand any good? Is that young safety who stepped in last year ready to get in there? Is this G Davis making any progress or is he another Speilman OL whiff and Samia clone. Will he get in shape or is he lazy as hell. I get the feeling he sucks. If you can't beat old Holder Oli then you are a terrible player. But there is zero news. I'm guessing.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

I was reading somewhere that Dallas was interested in making a trade for Davis. Which means he might possibly have some potential.
Agreed...Cousins talk is really getting old. Let hear what the plan is for the defensive side of the ball.
Who’s staying, Who is getting cut or traded.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

halfgiz wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:31 am I was reading somewhere that Dallas was interested in making a trade for Davis. Which means he might possibly have some potential.
Agreed...Cousins talk is really getting old. Let hear what the plan is for the defensive side of the ball.
Who’s staying, Who is getting cut or traded.
I think Davis has potential. One thing I like is he has size. I'm into size/speed. Non of us average joe's know whit it's like for these rookies. But I do know you better be prepared to get after it. There's no stiffs at the NFL level. I think it's brutal. This off season is key for him. He needs to work like hell to have a chance. I read he needs tech work. As he said everybody is strong up here. He won't face these guys that he can control with his size and strength it goes beyond that. The pros get the leverage. Maybe Rick and his staff hit on him. Maybe not.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

I really wasn’t sure where to put this.
But how does Jimmy Garoppolo shoulder surgery affect things for the 49ers.

I don’t think a lot of teams would be interested in a quarterback coming off the shoulder surgery.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

halfgiz wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:19 pm I really wasn’t sure where to put this.

I don’t think a lot of teams would be interested in a quarterback coming off the shoulder surgery.
There is gonna end up being a trade market for Kirk if the Vikings want to move on. Indy, SF, CAR, TB, DEN, the list goes on and on.

There is a case to be made that this young coach and GM have a chance to put their stamp on this team if they decide they want to build through the draft. They could possibly fetch an incredible hall for Cousins and Hunter depending on how things play out. They could clear the cap and get young in a hurry with a ton of early draft picks over the next 2-3 years.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

CharVike wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:44 am
StanM wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:16 am There has been some chatter regarding Kirks silence about our new hires. Not to read anything into it but the GM and HC were just fired and he hasn’t said a word. I heard that he didn’t pose for a photo with the other Vikings pro bowl players or say anything about the situation in interviews. They got into this recently on Skor North and made the point that the QB is considered leader of the team and he is the highest paid player. One would think he would have commented on having an offensive minded coach like JJ did.

There's no news. It's the same old Cousins stuff rolling over and over. It's old and boring as hell. I'd like to hear about the rest of the roster. People act like that means nothing. A team is more than one guy. For example do we have any CBs that can play the game who are on the bench? Is this Hand any good? Is that young safety who stepped in last year ready to get in there? Is this G Davis making any progress or is he another Speilman OL whiff and Samia clone. Will he get in shape or is he lazy as hell. I get the feeling he sucks. If you can't beat old Holder Oli then you are a terrible player. But there is zero news. I'm guessing.
How is this difficult?

No, we don’t have any CBs on the bench who can play, at least not at a high level. If you’re on the bench for the 31st ranked defense, you’re not very good.

No, Hand isn’t good.

That young safety is Cam Bynum. Chances are really good that he starts this year, since the new Vikings management can’t possibly be stupid enough to re-sign Xavier Woods.

Looks like you’ve already made the call on Wyatt Davis.

Which brings us back to Cousins.

We all need to understand … EVERYTHING the Vikings do in the offseason hinges on what they do with the $71 million in cap hits between the contracts of Kirk Cousins and Danielle Hunter. If they’re both back at the levels they’re scheduled to make, that’s going to affect what the Vikings do with the rest of the roster in a huge way. There are no answers about anyone else until those two contracts get resolved one way or another.

There’s no news until there’s news about Cousins.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:30 am
We all need to understand … EVERYTHING the Vikings do in the offseason hinges on what they do with the $71 million in cap hits between the contracts of Kirk Cousins and Danielle Hunter. If they’re both back at the levels they’re scheduled to make, that’s going to affect what the Vikings do with the rest of the roster in a huge way. There are no answers about anyone else until those two contracts get resolved one way or another.
This really determines the shape of everything to follow. I'm increasingly hoping they will trade everyone who has a solid market and collect a ton of picks over the next 3 years.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

fiestavike wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:41 pm
halfgiz wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:19 pm I really wasn’t sure where to put this.

There is gonna end up being a trade market for Kirk if the Vikings want to move on. Indy, SF, CAR, TB, DEN, the list goes on and on.

There is a case to be made that this young coach and GM have a chance to put their stamp on this team if they decide they want to build through the draft. They could possibly fetch an incredible hall for Cousins and Hunter depending on how things play out. They could clear the cap and get young in a hurry with a ton of early draft picks over the next 2-3 years.
I don't think Hunter will bring that much at least not right off the bat. Your probably looking at a mid rounder with another pick added based on playing time and performance. A prove it deal. Supposedly there are some edge rushers/DE in this draft which won't help his value either. I assume the trade partner will need to take on his cap hit. That's another piece that will hurt in a prove it deal. Big money for an unknown from a health perspective. No risk it no biscuit I guess. Jimmy G will have value and should be ready to go around 7/4. With an empty draft class his value and Cousins goes up. The Steelers? They have some talent but don't have a chance with nothing behind center. Jimmy G would give them a chance. Almost seems like a perfect fit for them. Of course it depends on if Lance is ready. I can't see the 49ers wasting a season developing a QB. Den and CAR it seems like they go through this every year. But are they even in the market for a high cap QB? They seem to be in that dredging the swamp mode. Last year it was Teddy and Sam. I'm sure there are two more out there for this season. They are just flushing what they have down the toilet. That's why it's never a good idea to dump your QB if he can play. There's not many out there.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Vikings head coach Kevin O’Connell says Kirk Cousins is their quarterback | Is this a smokescreen?
Kirk Cousins seems to have a fan! The good news is it is his new head coach. Kevin O’Connell said some pretty interesting comments when talking to NFL Network. He made it clear that Kirk Cousins is his quarterback moving forward.

“Kirk is our quarterback,” O’Connell said. “I’m excited about that. I’m excited about building an offense for him. I obviously have some experience with him. He’s a really good player, in my mind, for a lot of reasons. The one thing is I think he’s an elite passer. I think he throws the football at a really high level and he’s always been like that. Being a naturally accurate quarterback is something I feel is the No. 1 requirement for playing in this league. Especially with the playmakers we have, I’m excited about Kirk Cousins.”
https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2022/0 ... ell%20said.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Cliff wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:40 am Vikings head coach Kevin O’Connell says Kirk Cousins is their quarterback | Is this a smokescreen?
Kirk Cousins seems to have a fan! The good news is it is his new head coach. Kevin O’Connell said some pretty interesting comments when talking to NFL Network. He made it clear that Kirk Cousins is his quarterback moving forward.

“Kirk is our quarterback,” O’Connell said. “I’m excited about that. I’m excited about building an offense for him. I obviously have some experience with him. He’s a really good player, in my mind, for a lot of reasons. The one thing is I think he’s an elite passer. I think he throws the football at a really high level and he’s always been like that. Being a naturally accurate quarterback is something I feel is the No. 1 requirement for playing in this league. Especially with the playmakers we have, I’m excited about Kirk Cousins.”
Expect a 2 years, fully guaranteed contract extension worth 80 million to follow shortly then. If that is how the HC and GM truly feel about him, that is what they should be willing to offer, and that is what Cousins wants.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:20 pm
Cliff wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:40 am Vikings head coach Kevin O’Connell says Kirk Cousins is their quarterback | Is this a smokescreen?

Expect a 2 years, fully guaranteed contract extension worth 80 million to follow shortly then. If that is how the HC and GM truly feel about him, that is what they should be willing to offer, and that is what Cousins wants.
Why is that the only choice? Maybe they like what they see, and are excited about the opportunity to work with him under his current contract? Maybe they want to see how a fresh start and an offensive minded HC impacts his play this season? And then maybe at that time they'll decide whether he's worth extending or opt to go in another direction?

I don't see how a new HC saying he likes the current QB means they need to offer him a massive extension to prove "that's how they really feel" about him.

Personally, I'm excited to see how he plays under this new regime but that's just me. :govikes:
i'm ready for a beer.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

vikeinmontana wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:52 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:20 pm
Why is that the only choice? Maybe they like what they see, and are excited about the opportunity to work with him under his current contract? Maybe they want to see how a fresh start and an offensive minded HC impacts his play this season? And then maybe at that time they'll decide whether he's worth extending or opt to go in another direction?

I don't see how a new HC saying he likes the current QB means they need to offer him a massive extension to prove "that's how they really feel" about him.

Personally, I'm excited to see how he plays under this new regime but that's just me. :govikes:
10 years in he should know what a QB really is, especially since he coached Cousins before, and prior to that, saw what McVay was able to get out of him (which was less than Zimmer).

If Cousins is a QB to be excited about coaching, and one worth paying 45 million to this year, then he is worth whatever contract demands he has. If he is worth 45 million this season, he is certainly worth 40 million in 2023 and 2024, right?