A new GM on the horizon

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: A new GM on the horizon

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

A couple of my Viking buddies are worried that Chicago is doing a second interview with Poles on Tuesday and have access to him before we do but I actually think it's an advantage.

First of all, I HIGHLY doubt Poles accepts the Bears job Tuesday before coming to Minnesota Wednesday for multiple reasons. 1.) Chicago doesnt have near the team talent or franchise resources that we do. And 2.) Poles is going to want to see what we have to offer contract wise before making a decision

Biggest advantage of all, I think Mark and Zygi look at Poles on Wednesday and say "Okay what did Chicago offer you?" Whatever that number may be, the "Wilves" better it. What does that put on Poles' plate, a better contract AND a better team to work with. Easy decision.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:39 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:43 pm
Or they could have just got lucky.
Why must you take every comment as a shot on Kirk Cousins? I’m talking about the qualifications of a new GM, the most important of which is arguably being able to recognize quarterback talent.

KC traded two firsts and a third to move up to draft Mahomes. That’s not luck. That’s knowing what you’re doing. Luck is moving back 8 spots and still having the guy you want (Christian Darrisaw) available at 22. Luck is the Eagles taking Jalen Raegor instead of Justin Jefferson.

And besides, did you watch the KC-Buffalo game? Those are both generational quarterbacks. Are you honestly going to sit here and tell me that Kirk Cousins is THAT? Do you think it’s wrong for Vikings fans to want that kind of quarterback play? I don’t.
Had nothing to do with cousins. I never said they did get lucky just that it could have been. They could have and probably did get lucky. I give them credit for making the move but that doesn't mean there was no luck involved.
If they have great drafts year after year then i will no longer consider it luck.
Alaskan
Starter

Post by Alaskan »

I guess I don't see the situation In Minnesota as appealing to a GM candidate as most on here. The Defense is in shambles. Its in as bad of shape as when Zimmer took over 8 years ago, maybe worse. Who do they even have to build around?? They need pieces everywhere on D. On top of that, new coach, new scheme, new players to fit into that scheme. Come on, its really not even a debate that the defense is a rebuilding project at this point. Now for the Offense. Vikings have a QB problem. Cousins is not the long term answer. NO GM is going to come into MN and tie his future to Kurt Cousins. That is a fact. Please don't debate that. I have heard enough of the Cousins debates over the last 4 years. He is what he is. He has no long term future in MN. Its delusional to think he does. Cook is aging ,injury prone and overpaid. Thelin is aging and is having some issues with injury the past few years. JJ is a legit #1 WR, no argument on that. The O-line has some pieces, but needs some pieces and a new coach and blocking scheme could mean that unit is going to get reworked as well. TE seems to be OK. Back up QB? What do we have there? You tell me. My point being with all of this is the Situation a GM walks into in MN isn't really that appealing. Both sides of the ball have some major issues and on top of all of this the New GM is gonna have to find the next Patrick Mahomes/Josh Allen/Joe Burrow/Justin Herbert. Because THAT is what is going to put this team in contention for the next 20 years. Everything else is just noise. The right young QB coupled with the right coach in the right/same system for 10 plus years is the most important thing in professional football today.

On top of the challenges for the new GM managing some of the issues listed above you have a Wilf family who has publicly stated it doesn't think this team is far from contending. Is that just smoke?......or do they really believe that? I don't think they have a clue. If they did, they would have known about the toxic situation the Speilman/Zimmer era had turned into. Its not like that situation happened overnight. The Wilfs seem more interested in the business of Football and the $ associated to it. Losing isn't good for the bottom line. Mediocrity isn't bad for business though and its easier to achieve than excellence, with a much better AVERAGE ROI than gambling on finding excellence. Finding excellence is somewhat like a crap shoot. Teams are a lot more likely to have a lot of losers before finding that winner that puts them in contention for 20 years. The Wilfs don't seem to like to do business that way. Its understandable from a business standpoint, but for Hardcore Fans, its a tough pill to swallow.

Based on what I am seeing/reading/hearing so far from parties/sources involved in Viking's football, I see more mediocrity in the future for this Franchise. Mostly because Ownership is OK with it. So, baring dumb luck in the draft like getting a Tom Brady in the 6th round I see the Vikings drafting to be competitive on Sundays, not drafting to contend in January because thats what the new GM will be directed/allowed to do by ownership. Its the safe play, and thats who the Wilfs are. They aren't gonna sign off on a trade the farm type of deal for the next Patrick Mahomes.

All of these factors are why I don't see MN as a prime destination for a top GM candidate. I could be wrong, but this is how I view the situation in MN. Mediocrity, get use to it.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Alaskan wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:35 pm I guess I don't see the situation In Minnesota as appealing to a GM candidate as most on here. The Defense is in shambles. Its in as bad of shape as when Zimmer took over 8 years ago, maybe worse. Who do they even have to build around?? They need pieces everywhere on D. On top of that, new coach, new scheme, new players to fit into that scheme. Come on, its really not even a debate that the defense is a rebuilding project at this point. Now for the Offense. Vikings have a QB problem. Cousins is not the long term answer. NO GM is going to come into MN and tie his future to Kurt Cousins. That is a fact. Please don't debate that. I have heard enough of the Cousins debates over the last 4 years. He is what he is. He has no long term future in MN. Its delusional to think he does. Cook is aging ,injury prone and overpaid. Thelin is aging and is having some issues with injury the past few years. JJ is a legit #1 WR, no argument on that. The O-line has some pieces, but needs some pieces and a new coach and blocking scheme could mean that unit is going to get reworked as well. TE seems to be OK. Back up QB? What do we have there? You tell me. My point being with all of this is the Situation a GM walks into in MN isn't really that appealing. Both sides of the ball have some major issues and on top of all of this the New GM is gonna have to find the next Patrick Mahomes/Josh Allen/Joe Burrow/Justin Herbert. Because THAT is what is going to put this team in contention for the next 20 years. Everything else is just noise. The right young QB coupled with the right coach in the right/same system for 10 plus years is the most important thing in professional football today.

On top of the challenges for the new GM managing some of the issues listed above you have a Wilf family who has publicly stated it doesn't think this team is far from contending. Is that just smoke?......or do they really believe that? I don't think they have a clue. If they did, they would have known about the toxic situation the Speilman/Zimmer era had turned into. Its not like that situation happened overnight. The Wilfs seem more interested in the business of Football and the $ associated to it. Losing isn't good for the bottom line. Mediocrity isn't bad for business though and its easier to achieve than excellence, with a much better AVERAGE ROI than gambling on finding excellence. Finding excellence is somewhat like a crap shoot. Teams are a lot more likely to have a lot of losers before finding that winner that puts them in contention for 20 years. The Wilfs don't seem to like to do business that way. Its understandable from a business standpoint, but for Hardcore Fans, its a tough pill to swallow.

Based on what I am seeing/reading/hearing so far from parties/sources involved in Viking's football, I see more mediocrity in the future for this Franchise. Mostly because Ownership is OK with it. So, baring dumb luck in the draft like getting a Tom Brady in the 6th round I see the Vikings drafting to be competitive on Sundays, not drafting to contend in January because thats what the new GM will be directed/allowed to do by ownership. Its the safe play, and thats who the Wilfs are. They aren't gonna sign off on a trade the farm type of deal for the next Patrick Mahomes.

All of these factors are why I don't see MN as a prime destination for a top GM candidate. I could be wrong, but this is how I view the situation in MN. Mediocrity, get use to it.
It all depends on how you spin it. You went for the negative spin. The positive spin would be we have the best RB in the NFL. Things like that.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

My bad for not doing more research into Kwesi from the Browns.
There are 4 teams that I would pick pocketing. SF, TB, KC, and Buffalo.
I am all in on Poles, but I think I would be okay with option #2 here.
Last edited by IIsweet on Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Alaskan wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:35 pm I guess I don't see the situation In Minnesota as appealing to a GM candidate as most on here. The Defense is in shambles. Its in as bad of shape as when Zimmer took over 8 years ago, maybe worse. Who do they even have to build around?? They need pieces everywhere on D. On top of that, new coach, new scheme, new players to fit into that scheme. Come on, its really not even a debate that the defense is a rebuilding project at this point. Now for the Offense. Vikings have a QB problem. Cousins is not the long term answer. NO GM is going to come into MN and tie his future to Kurt Cousins. That is a fact. Please don't debate that. I have heard enough of the Cousins debates over the last 4 years. He is what he is. He has no long term future in MN. Its delusional to think he does. Cook is aging ,injury prone and overpaid. Thelin is aging and is having some issues with injury the past few years. JJ is a legit #1 WR, no argument on that. The O-line has some pieces, but needs some pieces and a new coach and blocking scheme could mean that unit is going to get reworked as well. TE seems to be OK. Back up QB? What do we have there? You tell me. My point being with all of this is the Situation a GM walks into in MN isn't really that appealing. Both sides of the ball have some major issues and on top of all of this the New GM is gonna have to find the next Patrick Mahomes/Josh Allen/Joe Burrow/Justin Herbert. Because THAT is what is going to put this team in contention for the next 20 years. Everything else is just noise. The right young QB coupled with the right coach in the right/same system for 10 plus years is the most important thing in professional football today.

Ok now take your negative analysis and apply it to every other team without a head coach and do an analysis on them. Trust me, this destination will be much more appealing.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

RBs have the shortest career in football, so dont hold your breath on ours for too ong
We have NO OL.....as in a pile of hot garbage
We have a QB that eats up your cap and doesnt produce accordingly.
We have some very good receivers but are they staying?
As noted we have a rapidly aging Defense that is in the decline.

on the up side,
We have an owner willing to spend $$$
We have a shiny new facility
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

chicagopurple wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:31 pm RBs have the shortest career in football, so dont hold your breath on ours for too ong
We have NO OL.....as in a pile of hot garbage
We have a QB that eats up your cap and doesnt produce accordingly.
We have some very good receivers but are they staying?
As noted we have a rapidly aging Defense that is in the decline.

on the up side,
We have an owner willing to spend $$$
We have a shiny new facility
More importantly on the ownership front, the Wilfs are very willing to overlook colossal blunders and give a GM more time to not win a SB than just about any ownership group in the history of the NFL.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Kwesi is our GM.

Bears hired Poles.

Given their working together in SF, rumor is floating that Demeco Ryans may be the hire at HC:
https://twitter.com/DailyNorseman/statu ... 5950365696
Last edited by Texas Vike on Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

Texas Vike wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:47 pm Kwesi is our GM.

Bears hired Poles.
DANG it! I wanted Poles.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Looks like our new GM is going to be the guy from Cleveland, Kwesi Adofo-Mensah, with Poles going to Chicago.

I am not someone who pretends to know anything about what a VP on another team is like, but from what I do know is he is very inexperienced, but highly thought of by people who do know what the VP of another team is like.

With such a young inexperienced hire, expect radical changes to the team and big moves coming.
Alaskan
Starter

Post by Alaskan »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:39 am

Ok now take your negative analysis and apply it to every other team without a head coach and do an analysis on them. Trust me, this destination will be much more appealing.
It may seem negative, but its real...... and that was just a brief summary!! More detail only make's things look even worse. MN is a mess. Most all of the issues have been presented on this board at one time or another, so there is no reason to re-hash all that detail. I would rate MN at or near bottom of the present openings in appeal for a GM or Head Coach when looking at it objectively.

Look, we disagree, thats OK. No real reason to go back and forth on this. Time will tell who is right and who is wrong. I am not a fan of the Wilf's. Never have been. Its all lip service with them. Until they prove to me they are in this to Win a championship I will not be a fan. The whole approach they are taking with this GM/Coach search is another example of playing it safe. It's about business, not winning championships. Some out of the box thinking, bringing in someone who has Won Championships as a player and is respected would be a start. Like John Lynch in San Fransico. Look what he has done out there!! Nobody pegged him GM material at the time. But the York/DeBartelo family knows how to build a winner, they have PROVEN that. The Wilfs are second rate owner's looking to cash in and hoping to strike gold playing it safe. That=Mediocrity! Thats my take; I hope they prove me wrong.
40for60
Starter

Post by 40for60 »

Poles going to the Bears. $&@!
40for60
Starter

Post by 40for60 »

40for60 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:15 pm Poles going to the Bears. $&@!
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nfl.co ... al-manager
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Hrm. Liked Poles more. Oh well. Mensah may be great. Lots more to prove though. Poles seemed made for a gm position.