Coaching search 2022 - Confirmed Interviews and Speculation

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Coaching search 2022 - Confirmed Interviews and Speculation

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Barry wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:52 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:38 am But I'd be worried every day.
That's just being a Vikings fan though.
I never worried when Bud Grant was coach. Never worried in the early days of Zimmer. Never worried in 2017, even though we were on our third quarterback. When you have good teams, or teams that are on the rise, you don’t worry. Or at least I don’t. And I’ve been at this Vikings fan thing since 1969.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:20 am
Barry wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:52 am
That's just being a Vikings fan though.
I never worried when Bud Grant was coach. Never worried in the early days of Zimmer. Never worried in 2017, even though we were on our third quarterback. When you have good teams, or teams that are on the rise, you don’t worry. Or at least I don’t. And I’ve been at this Vikings fan thing since 1969.
Did you worry when Steckle took over? That's when it was needed.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:49 pm Not sure how I feel about a woman GM.

It’s not that I have anything against a woman being an executive. My wife is one, and there’s no one on earth I respect or admire more. But this is a game played by men who are filled to the brim with testosterone. It’s a violent game played by aggressive men. I’m also not sure that I want our franchise to be the first to break this ground, especially given our current state.

If they end up hiring her, I hope she proves me wrong.
The easiest way (and only way) to consider prospective hires is to focus on their ideas and capabilities and try to forget or ignore immutable characteristics like their gender or color. Those things might matter to people who care about appearances. Me personally, I care how a person can lead and and transform the Vikings into a winning organization with a strong foundation.

I'll take an alien at this point if he/she/it has good ideas and can do those things.

The Wilfs could try something markedly progressive with this hire - figure out how to leverage the "Wisdom of the Group" and hire a vetted group of dedicated Vikings fans to do the job. Sort of like an AI minus the algorithms (had enough of robotic thinking in Vikings leadership for a while now anyway).

Radical? Absolutely. Effective? Could be very effective if done right. I mean, imagine a dedicated group of fans similar to this board debating and anonymously voting on the moves to be made after vigorous debate with data and facts.

Crazy idea I know, but there are several studies that show the wisdom of the group is real and much more effective that any single decision maker. We could all be paid a proportional amount of whatever a single GM would be paid, with appropriate bonuses to the entire group in the event of playoff appearances, wins and Superbowl appearances and wins.
40for60
Starter

Post by 40for60 »

VikingLord wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:58 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:49 pm Not sure how I feel about a woman GM.

It’s not that I have anything against a woman being an executive. My wife is one, and there’s no one on earth I respect or admire more. But this is a game played by men who are filled to the brim with testosterone. It’s a violent game played by aggressive men. I’m also not sure that I want our franchise to be the first to break this ground, especially given our current state.

The easiest way (and only way) to consider prospective hires is to focus on their ideas and capabilities and try to forget or ignore immutable characteristics like their gender or color. Those things might matter to people who care about appearances. Me personally, I care how a person can lead and and transform the Vikings into a winning organization with a strong foundation.

I'll take an alien at this point if he/she/it has good ideas and can do those things.

The Wilfs could try something markedly progressive with this hire - figure out how to leverage the "Wisdom of the Group" and hire a vetted group of dedicated Vikings fans to do the job. Sort of like an AI minus the algorithms (had enough of robotic thinking in Vikings leadership for a while now anyway).

Radical? Absolutely. Effective? Could be very effective if done right. I mean, imagine a dedicated group of fans similar to this board debating and anonymously voting on the moves to be made after vigorous debate with data and facts.

Crazy idea I know, but there are several studies that show the wisdom of the group is real and much more effective that any single decision maker. We could all be paid a proportional amount of whatever a single GM would be paid, with appropriate bonuses to the entire group in the event of playoff appearances, wins and Superbowl appearances and wins.
That’s certainly thinking outside of the box, but I’m not sure I want you guys guiding the ship! :lol:
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I was hoping it would be McClay but that's not happening. Moore as HC seems unlikely now too.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

CharVike wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:19 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:20 am
What does that question even mean?

Les Steckel coached one season. In the 61-year history of the Minnesota Vikings.

And I said, if you’ll please read, that I don’t worry about the coaches of good teams or teams on the rise. Were the 1984 Vikings good? On the rise? No.

My point is that if you’ve been a Vikings fan for more than 5 minutes, you know that we’ve had some excellent coaches. You might try concentrate on having an actual conversation with people instead of constantly trying to nitpick and prove them wrong.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:20 am
CharVike wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:19 pm
What does that question even mean?

Les Steckel coached one season. In the 61-year history of the Minnesota Vikings.

And I said, if you’ll please read, that I don’t worry about the coaches of good teams or teams on the rise. Were the 1984 Vikings good? On the rise? No.

My point is that if you’ve been a Vikings fan for more than 5 minutes, you know that we’ve had some excellent coaches. You might try concentrate on having an actual conversation with people instead of constantly trying to nitpick and prove them wrong.
I wasn't trying to prove you wrong. I know we didn't have a good team then. I was joking and it wasn't a very good joke. I won't try that. I've seen every coach from Grant up. We've had every type you can think of. IMO we had some good ones and some bad ones. Others might feel differently. The next one hired some will like, some will hate and some will be in the middle. It's no different than our current players like our QB. It's the same deal. My favorite was Jerry. I liked the way he ran the team and did an excellent job while having not to much at QB but Peters was a great D coach and Schnelker was a great O coach. Although the majority of fans thought Schnelker was the reason when we lost. Nobody would ever say maybe we have a not so great QB playing all the time and that's the problem. That's only my opinion and not looking to nitpick. Plus he had the team play hard in one of the best Champ games in history. Our team was tired and still played hard after a slow start. That was the greatest playoff run we ever had. Jerry did that hitting the road. And it didn't end in a total embarrassment like Green in NY and Zim in Philly. That's no 1 and 2 in beat downs. That's only my opinion. But that's what I like from a HC is can you build a staff. Zim always had a hard time building a staff. He was in over his head and only had success when everything under the sun broke perfect for him like 2017. Everything he and trader down built started to fall off the edge after that champ game beating. They never came close to replacing most of those players. We still sit with a lesser overall roster than that 2017 team. I'm not looking for anyone to agree or disagree with my roster take as others have their own opinion. IMO if our team don't fix this pathetic OL and build a D that can play some ball we won't be able to compete against the top team. The talent isn't there. And you need to play ball at the LOS or you won't have a chance. When the 49ers got hot and made Cousins look like a bum and made it impossible for the Packers with the best QB in the game to score until the game was over it was because they dominated the LOS. That's only my thought. Others could say we lost because Cousins sucks. That's ok it's their opinion.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

So supposedly zimmer told Deion Sanders today that he and Spielman haven’t spoken in months prior to them both being fired. Yikes
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Raz
Veteran

Post by Raz »

Ya I’m thinking the whole things was a disaster. Zimmer is on the record of not wanting Cousins and that cover up of that shoving after the game was bs that was not the look of celebration. Mark should have dropped the hammer on them way sooner
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:31 pm So supposedly zimmer told Deion Sanders today that he and Spielman haven’t spoken in months prior to them both being fired. Yikes
Speilman knew the game was up. I'm sure he had more important things to do than listen to Zim cry about how bad Cousins is and we should have kept Teddy. That gets old quickly. Zim needs to man up one time. He had 8 years and had one great season and it took every break possible for that to happen.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Raiche as GM and Moore and HC is an intriguing combo. Read up on Raiche, she knows her stuff.
40for60
Starter

Post by 40for60 »

Not that they are necessarily who I think should get the job, but I am surprised Bienemy and Daboll aren’t on the HC interview request list. At least not yet anyway.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Spytek and Bowles or Left such would be awesome
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingLord wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:58 pm

So … yes, concentrating on ideas and capabilities is a good thing. I don’t need it explained to me like I’m Archie Bunker.

But it’s not done in a vacuum.

YOU may subscribe to the idea of focusing only on capabilities. The Wilves (the new plural for Wilf) may subscribe to that idea. Everybody in the state of Minnesota may subscribe to that idea. But whoever this GM ends up being, also has to have some relationships with other GMs, front office executives, scouts, etc. And THEY may NOT subscribe to that idea.

What does that matter? How many GMs around the league won’t take her seriously when she calls about a trade? How many qualified candidates for scouting or front office positions will overlook the Vikings? How many chauvinistic college coaches will be on the other end of the line going, “Do I really want my quarterback, a sure fire first-round draft choice that I’ve loved like a son, playing for a team run by a woman?”

And y’know, she may have the ability to overcome all that. Great for her if she bravely comes in and sets a new standard. My issue is that I’m getting old. I don’t care about breaking social ground. I just want the Minnesota Vikings to win a Super Bowl before I die. Winning is all that matters to me.

Sorry. I am fairly sure I’m not the only one who feels this way, although so far it appears I’m the only one willing to say it. So I’ll say this. Whoever they hire, I’ll give them a chance. If it’s a woman, then great. I’ll give her the same chance I’d give a man. No breaks because of gender. It has to work both ways. If it doesn’t, then gender equality is a myth.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:06 amThe Wilves (the new plural for Wilf)...

:rofl: I love that!
What does that matter? How many GMs around the league won’t take her seriously when she calls about a trade? How many qualified candidates for scouting or front office positions will overlook the Vikings? How many chauvinistic college coaches will be on the other end of the line going, “Do I really want my quarterback, a sure fire first-round draft choice that I’ve loved like a son, playing for a team run by a woman?”

And y’know, she may have the ability to overcome all that. Great for her if she bravely comes in and sets a new standard. My issue is that I’m getting old. I don’t care about breaking social ground. I just want the Minnesota Vikings to win a Super Bowl before I die. Winning is all that matters to me.

Sorry. I am fairly sure I’m not the only one who feels this way, although so far it appears I’m the only one willing to say it. So I’ll say this. Whoever they hire, I’ll give them a chance. If it’s a woman, then great. I’ll give her the same chance I’d give a man. No breaks because of gender. It has to work both ways. If it doesn’t, then gender equality is a myth.
I'm glad they're interviewing Catherine Raiche and if she ends up being the best choice for the job, that would be great. However, like you, I just want the Vikings to win a Super Bowl so they can hire a woman, a man or a squirrel for GM and I'm fine with it if that GM does a great job.

Jim