Rick and Zimmer both gone

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Rick and Zimmer both gone

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:10 pm
Angels Wings wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:26 pm

So, you're basically saying that we're stuck with Cousins
We are lucky to be stuck with Cousins. We could be stuck with Lock, Darnold, Fields, Mond, or any other crap QB you could name.
None of those those non-playoff teams are stuck with those QBs and outside of Chicago, will be actively looking to improve the QB position.

Something our non-playoff team can't do if we give Cousins another fully guaranteed extension.
Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Angels Wings »

Angels Wings wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:26 pm

So, you're basically saying that we're stuck with Cousins
We are lucky to be stuck with Cousins. We could be stuck with Lock, Darnold, Fields, Mond, or any other crap QB you could name.
Even with his legal troubles, I'd rather have Watson
For those with wings, fly to your dreams
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

I heard that Cousins is going to have a fair amount interest if we trade him.
This could be a good time for that to happen. Probably all depends what new GM and HC decide.

I have to laugh because I wasn’t a big Cousins fan. But he got rid of Rick and he got rid of Zimmer :x
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:42 pm
None of those those non-playoff teams are stuck with those QBs and outside of Chicago, will be actively looking to improve the QB position.

Something our non-playoff team can't do if we give Cousins another fully guaranteed extension.
QBs are in short supply. When you have a top 10 QB it's usually a good idea to keep him around. However it gets very expensive. We can hope to get lucky in the draft and maybe we will. Trading for one or signing a free agent will cost just as much.
Raz
Veteran

Post by Raz »

A funny but kinda true
A funny but kinda true
A24AB277-13DE-4EB9-B29C-38ECD89C5C55.jpeg (314.43 KiB) Viewed 838 times
StpViking
Starter

Post by StpViking »

Please let the quote from that picture be true.

BTW, I am still sticking to no other team will take on Cousin's contract. Who the HE Double Hockey Sticks wants a QB that only knows how to pad his stats and not W's?
White 8DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee! Waz Up!
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

StpViking wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:28 pm Please let the quote from that picture be true.

BTW, I am still sticking to no other team will take on Cousin's contract. Who the HE Double Hockey Sticks wants a QB that only knows how to pad his stats and not W's?
Nobody will take all of it on, but the Vikings can convert some portion of it to a bonus and stick it on their books to lower the cap figure the other team has to take on. Bring that down to a reasonable level and to Cousins it doesn't make any difference - he still gets an obscene amount of money, but the Vikings take a lower (albeit still substantial) hit to their 2022 cap while the team on the other end gets a starting vet QB at a reasonable 2022 cap figure (and probably extends him as well). Hopefully the Vikings can work out a deal that compensates them with some good draft picks. At least a 1st and hopefully more, but that will likely depend on how much of Cousins' cap hit they want to retain.

I can definitely see some other team who needs an established vet at QB being interested in Cousins at the right price.
ERIK the PURPLE
Franchise Player

Post by ERIK the PURPLE »

I don’t get all the Cousins hating. We can definitely win with Cousins. How many times did he put us in position to win and our so called defense gave it away? We need to fix the F-ing defense before we unload a productive veteran qb.
Priorities for me:
1. Draft defense!
2. Fix the O-Line!
3. Develop a REAL backup QB.
cogitator
Veteran

Post by cogitator »

Angels Wings wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:19 pm
Even with his legal troubles, I'd rather have Watson
Really? He hasn't played for a year, and you have no idea when he will be cleared to play again.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Vikings Had Culture Problem Under Zimmer, Spielman
When Mike Zimmer and Rick Spielman were fired from their posts as head coach and general manager of the Minnesota Vikings on Monday, I expected emotional farewells from many players who had played for both guys nearly a decade. But that wasn’t at all the case.

Instead, we got what those in the media business call “money quotes” from all pro linebacker Eric Kendricks about a possible fear-based culture growing inside of TCO Performance Center under the Spielman/Zimmer regime. Comments from Brian O’Neill, the team’s best offensive lineman, weren’t any better.
#Vikings LB Eric Kendricks on moving forward: "I think just having that voice, no matter how big your role is, is important, to listen up and take each other's feelings into account. I don't think a fear-based organization is the way to go."
From O'Neill

We need a coach that is more in tune with younger people in general. Seems like maybe Zimmer was a little out of touch with leadership philosophy from the last 20 or so year.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Yup. I heard the Kendricks comments, hadnt seen O'Neills. From what I understand those are both leaders on the team too.

Coaches have to relate to players on some level. There has to be a connection somewhere. You can be a hard #### at the appropriate time. And connect with them in other times. All of one is an extreme and normally doesn't go well with today's world.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

ERIK the PURPLE wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:03 pm I don’t get all the Cousins hating. We can definitely win with Cousins. How many times did he put us in position to win and our so called defense gave it away? We need to fix the F-ing defense before we unload a productive veteran qb.
Priorities for me:
1. Draft defense!
2. Fix the O-Line!
3. Develop a REAL backup QB.
The problem with Cousins is how his contract impacts their ability to fix the defense, not his performance on the field per se.

Although even there, he has consistently fallen short against better teams. Maybe those failures were not entirely his fault every time, but the record speaks for itself.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

makila wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:02 pm Yup. I heard the Kendricks comments, hadnt seen O'Neills. From what I understand those are both leaders on the team too.

Coaches have to relate to players on some level. There has to be a connection somewhere. You can be a hard #### at the appropriate time. And connect with them in other times. All of one is an extreme and normally doesn't go well with today's world.
Eh. Belichick is probably the same way. Winning cures everything. If they were winning, they wouldn't be complaining.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:11 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:42 pm

QBs are in short supply. When you have a top 10 QB it's usually a good idea to keep him around.
Why? When has keeping a QB of Cousins caliber around ever worked out?

Is that the way you build a championship roster? Or has pretty much every SB team in the modern Era done it differently?

We just got through 4 years of .500 football from this QB, why do you want 4 more? Where are Cousins "top 10" stats benefitting this team?
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:36 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:11 pm
QBs are in short supply. When you have a top 10 QB it's usually a good idea to keep him around.
Why? When has keeping a QB of Cousins caliber around ever worked out?

Is that the way you build a championship roster? Or has pretty much every SB team in the modern Era done it differently?

We just got through 4 years of .500 football from this QB, why do you want 4 more? Where are Cousins "top 10" stats benefitting this team?
Based on Cousins play we should have won 11 or more games this year. He can't help Joseph missing easy game winning FGs and the Defense blowing the leads he got us.