Cousins to start against Chicago

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Cousins to start against Chicago

Post by CharVike »

Texas Vike wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:09 pm
IIsweet wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:03 am This class has talent for sure, but not quite the same as the past couple, imo. Here is the following that may go rd 1 or into rd 2:
Matt Corral - Ole Miss
Kenny Pickett - Pittsburgh
Malik Willis - Liberty (Auburn transfer)
Sam Howell - North Carolina
Carson Strong - Nevada

I like the Willis kid for being so toolsy, and having more of that Mahomes swag in him. Tons of arm talent and the wheels to move the pocket and have some dual threat ability. He looks downfield for the big play often with a lot of arm talent and confidence in that arm talent, which can also lead to head scratching mistakes and INT's !! I would take it though. I think Deshaun Watson upside here.

Pickett is the most seasoned of them all and probably the easiest transition to being an NFL QB. To me, he could be an athletic Cousins and is discussion for best QB of the class.
Corral to me is Tannehill. Every tool you need and want. Concern is system he played in transitioning.
Howell is to me another Stafford or Lock type QB.
Strong is the big armed QB of the class.
I haven't watched highlights for all of these prospects yet, but Pickett looks spectacular. Loved his fake slide. Love his ability to sense pressure, move the pocket, keep his eyes up, run well if he has the space, throw guys open, etc. At 6' 3" 220 he's a specimen and a heck of an athlete too. Watched an interview with him. I like his grit and determination.
Pickett is my favorite also.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:57 pm Zimmer knows what Zimmer knows which is the game right in front of him. Cousins is his starting QB, and he's going to play his starters and try to get a win.

This is yet another reason why Zimmer needs to go. He has no vision beyond the immediate. If he had vision he'd realize the focus should be shifting to the offseason and next season, which means he needs to get game film on his younger players.

In regards to Stump's question, the answer is it depends. It depends in large part on the situation each of those non-playoff teams is in at this juncture in their starting QB's career. If you're the Jags or the Lions and you don't have a young QB sitting and waiting his turn, you go with your regular starter. If you're a team with a starting QB who is near or at the end of his tenure with the team and you have a young prospect biding his time, I think you use a game like this upcoming game to get a good look at what you have going into the offseason.

A lot of the non-playoff teams are set at QB with their young prospects already. The Vikings are in a position where unless Cousins is the future, there is little point to trot him out there, and less to put Mannion out there. Mond, on the other hand, is a guy I'd think they'd want to see under game pressure, especially against the defensive front of the Bears who are likely to walk over, through, and around the Vikings OL yet again this upcoming game. See how Mond handles that. It could be very useful information heading into this upcoming draft.
The Vikings should be trying to win. Heck with trying to lose. Cousins gives us the best chance to win so of course he should be starting.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Zimmer's last FU to Spielman. Here's your $45 million dollar QB.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

OK, I'm really interested.

Can somebody here actually justify Mike Zimmer NOT giving Justin Jefferson a chance to break the record on the Vikings' last possession?

I want this clown GONE. I hope they fire him before he leaves the building today.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
40for60
Starter

Post by 40for60 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:20 pm OK, I'm really interested.

Can somebody here actually justify Mike Zimmer NOT giving Justin Jefferson a chance to break the record on the Vikings' last possession?

I want this clown GONE. I hope they fire him before he leaves the building today.
Just a dick move. I wonder if he was getting back at JJ for questioning the offense and team intensity after the Rams game. A very juvenile move ... almost like "I'm getting fired so screw that."
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

In the press conference after the game, Zimmer was asked if he knew how close JJ was to the record. He answered “Yes.”

Then, he added: “I don’t care about records. I only care about wins.”

Dick move, no class, good-bye, don’t let the door hit you in the a**.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

I'm fine with it.

If it happened naturally during the course of the game, great. But kneeling was the right and only thing to do in that situation. Not even sure why the starters were playing with that lead in the first place. It already bugs me a little JJ needed an extra game to beat Moss, if it were forced, it'd be tainted in my eyes.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

40for60 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:32 pm

Just a dick move. I wonder if he was getting back at JJ for questioning the offense and team intensity after the Rams game. A very juvenile move ... almost like "I'm getting fired so screw that."
This nonsense about how much Zimmer cares about his players, and it's the relationships that have mattered to him, and the weepy crap Gus Johnson and Aqib Talib were spewing ... it's such garbage.

I guarantee you, every Vikings player on that sideline wanted JJ to get that record. But Zimmer always has to put himself first.

G'bye Zimmer.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

808vikingsfan wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:51 pm

I'm fine with it.

If it happened naturally during the course of the game, great. But kneeling was the right and only thing to do in that situation. Not even sure why the starters were playing with that lead in the first place. It already bugs me a little JJ needed an extra game to beat Moss, if it were forced, it'd be tainted in my eyes.
I agree with you. If they tried and JJ gets injured badly imagine the flak Zim would get for that. JJ should have many years in front to get records. He just better hope he has a guy that can get the ball to him playing QB.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Zimmer has always been about Zimmer. Not trying to get JJ the record shows Zimmer has no class.
Maybe that’s part of why we was underachievers. Goodbye...
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

CharVike wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:39 pm

I'm fine with it.

I agree with you. If they tried and JJ gets injured badly imagine the flak Zim would get for that. JJ should have many years in front to get records. He just better hope he has a guy that can get the ball to him playing QB.
And I think Zimmer was just showing respect for the game rather than an individual player. That's the problem with this whole team. A bunch of selfish individuals. Not saying JJ is selfish but the theme this year was definitely not "TEAM".
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

808vikingsfan wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:51 pm
And I think Zimmer was just showing respect for the game rather than an individual player. That's the problem with this whole team. A bunch of selfish individuals. Not saying JJ is selfish but the theme this year was definitely not "TEAM".
It was good to see that rookie Ihmir get some action. He has played some and WR is a hard position for a rookie. Him Osbourne and Jefferson showed some life today in a meaningless game. Ihmir looks like he can catch the ball also. It will be good for him to go into the off season with a good game under his belt.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:30 am The Vikings should be trying to win. Heck with trying to lose. Cousins gives us the best chance to win so of course he should be starting.
Win now, or win in the future?

Sometimes you have to take a step back to take two forward.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I'm fine with it.

Injured?

If that's the case, then JJ shouldn't even have been out there.

Sorry man. That's a ridiculous take.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:51 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:30 am The Vikings should be trying to win. Heck with trying to lose. Cousins gives us the best chance to win so of course he should be starting.
Win now, or win in the future?

Sometimes you have to take a step back to take two forward.
I'll add one more point to this:

Zimmer said basically the time to evaluate rookies and young guys is during training camp and the preseason.

If so, once a team is out of the playoff picture, that team is in their offseason already and has a chance to get a head start on those evaluations. Why not? Why not start that work while the good teams battle it out? It gives you a head start on the next season, which is the only season where you can presumably get what you compete for all season which is a championship.

Zimmer's view on this is myopic IMHO. He's now gone and good riddance. He missed a real chance to see what Mond could or could not do yesterday. The fact that the Vikings won the game means nothing except a lower draft spot, and Zimmer is still gone either way.