The Aftermath: What's next after the Vikings debacle at Green Bay?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: The Aftermath: What's next after the Vikings debacle at Green Bay?

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:44 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:02 pm
I know you’re a supporter of Zimmer. Believe me, I get it.
I have made it very clear I am not a Zimmer supporter and believe his time in MN has run its course. What I am, is a fan who looks at his team realistically and uses logic and facts instead of emotion to form opinions on what the issues are on this team. So when someone says Zimmer is against the offense making big plays or scoring a lot of points, I disagree with that poster because that statement is ludicrous. When someone says Zimmer doesn't know how to develop talent on defense, I point out all of the successes he has had doing just that, and then ask which defensive players have gotten better, not worse after leaving MN. When someone says Zimmer holds back his QBs, I point out that EVERY QB who has ever played for him has had their best years by quite a large margin. When people blame him for making decisions every other HC in the NFL makes, I point out that Zimmer just did what the top 32 football coaches in the world do.

What I don't do is disagree with people who feel Zimmer has lost his edge, who claim his defense is not as good as it once was, and who claim that he is not doing a good enough job helping his GM find players in the draft to help his D. Those statements are all true and good enough reasons to move on.

If people would just stick with reasonable knocks on Zimmer, instead of illogical ones not backed up by anything other than a hope that they are true so that they don't have to believe there are other, more serious issues with their favorite team, I wouldn't come off as defending Zimmer. I would be right there agreeing with them.
I believe I’ve done exactly what you just said.

My assessment of Zimmer has been fair and reasonable, and if you disagree, then there’s no point in carrying on a conversation with you.

As I said, I was excited when they hired him. I was among his biggest fans in 2017, even after the debacle in Philly. I said that above.

But I disagree with you wholeheartedly when you say there are other more serious issues with the Vikings. He’s the head coach, and he’s lost his touch. Or the team is tuning him out. Something is wrong, and it’s the head coach’s job to identify it and fix it. He has failed to do that. This team has been below .500 for more than 700 consecutive days. Not even one game over. If Mike Zimmer can’t fix that, and it appears he can’t, then it’s time to move on.

That does not mean Cousins gets a pass. I agree with Doug Pederson, who says the head coach-quarterback relationship is the most important in football. It is my belief that the two men share equal responsibility in a relationship that has never worked — more accurately, that has failed spectacularly. It is my fervent hope that we can trade Cousins and get a fresh start. Short of that, I want the Vikings to ride out his contract and let him walk. But my preference would be to trade him. If they extend him, I may very well put my fanhood on hold. He’s not a leader. I want a leader at the game’s most important position.

If you don’t see that as a reasonable assessment of the situation, especially considering the mountain of evidence I’ve offered to support it, then again, I don’t know what to say.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:20 am

I have made it very clear I am not a Zimmer supporter and believe his time in MN has run its course. What I am, is a fan who looks at his team realistically and uses logic and facts instead of emotion to form opinions on what the issues are on this team. So when someone says Zimmer is against the offense making big plays or scoring a lot of points, I disagree with that poster because that statement is ludicrous. When someone says Zimmer doesn't know how to develop talent on defense, I point out all of the successes he has had doing just that, and then ask which defensive players have gotten better, not worse after leaving MN. When someone says Zimmer holds back his QBs, I point out that EVERY QB who has ever played for him has had their best years by quite a large margin. When people blame him for making decisions every other HC in the NFL makes, I point out that Zimmer just did what the top 32 football coaches in the world do.

What I don't do is disagree with people who feel Zimmer has lost his edge, who claim his defense is not as good as it once was, and who claim that he is not doing a good enough job helping his GM find players in the draft to help his D. Those statements are all true and good enough reasons to move on.

If people would just stick with reasonable knocks on Zimmer, instead of illogical ones not backed up by anything other than a hope that they are true so that they don't have to believe there are other, more serious issues with their favorite team, I wouldn't come off as defending Zimmer. I would be right there agreeing with them.
I believe I’ve done exactly what you just said.

My assessment of Zimmer has been fair and reasonable, and if you disagree, then there’s no point in carrying on a conversation with you.

As I said, I was excited when they hired him. I was among his biggest fans in 2017, even after the debacle in Philly. I said that above.

But I disagree with you wholeheartedly when you say there are other more serious issues with the Vikings. He’s the head coach, and he’s lost his touch. Or the team is tuning him out. Something is wrong, and it’s the head coach’s job to identify it and fix it. He has failed to do that. This team has been below .500 for more than 700 consecutive days. Not even one game over. If Mike Zimmer can’t fix that, and it appears he can’t, then it’s time to move on.

That does not mean Cousins gets a pass. I agree with Doug Pederson, who says the head coach-quarterback relationship is the most important in football. It is my belief that the two men share equal responsibility in a relationship that has never worked — more accurately, that has failed spectacularly. It is my fervent hope that we can trade Cousins and get a fresh start. Short of that, I want the Vikings to ride out his contract and let him walk. But my preference would be to trade him. If they extend him, I may very well put my fanhood on hold. He’s not a leader. I want a leader at the game’s most important position.

If you don’t see that as a reasonable assessment of the situation, especially considering the mountain of evidence I’ve offered to support it, then again, I don’t know what to say.
As I said in my post, if people would just stick to arguments about the team like the ones you have above I wouldn't disagree with them. Those are valid, even where you say he is the biggest problem. That is debatable, and in my opinion wrong, but he is the HC and could be the biggest issue.

Personally I think the talent is the biggest issue, with a below average Oline, Dline and secondary that will only get worse next season to go along with the overpaid QB who has never proven capable of not sucking in almost every big spot.

So while Zimmer is an issue with this team, I believe he is not the biggest issue or at least I believe that you replace him and this is still not a team that will win more than 8 games next season.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

psjordan wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:30 am Nothing too concrete in terms of "this WILL happen", but a couple decent write-ups:

Zimmer in Two Week Mode:
https://apple.news/AEqCiR1maQuGn3VhoLTb_EA

Broncos will look to acquire Cousins this offseason:
https://apple.news/AnTDBvWkPTzqxyj-Qf5EtXQ
Cousins to Denver makes a lot of sense, even though I think NO is better but cap$ is an issue. Denver has the $$ and has been looking for a QB forever it seems. Manning walks on water there. Since he left, they cannot figure it out. Actually couldn't figure out the posiition before he got there after Elway retired.
So instead of constantly throwing draft pick capital and getting nothing in return, use a couple picks for a proven guy. Then build the D with future 1st rd picks. They really are a good QB, and HC/OC from being a big threat !!! Big time playmakers in RB Williams, WRs Sutton, Jeudy, Patrick, Hamler(inj), TEs Fant and AO.

So this is very valid and actually might be worth monitoring.
That would, as of now, be the 11th and 12th picks of the 1st rd. How would we draft? Would we go into 2022 with a rookie at QB? Competition between Mannion, Mond, and rookie? Bring in a veteran? Fire sale and go with youth movement new HC/OC.
Like someone mentioned in another post....
This could be a very fun and franchise altering offseason !!!
VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

So when someone says Zimmer is against the offense making big plays or scoring a lot of points, I disagree with that poster because that statement is ludicrous. When someone says Zimmer doesn't know how to develop talent on defense, I point out all of the successes he has had doing just that, and then ask which defensive players have gotten better, not worse after leaving MN. When someone says Zimmer holds back his QBs, I point out that EVERY QB who has ever played for him has had their best years by quite a large margin. When people blame him for making decisions every other HC in the NFL makes, I point out that Zimmer just did what the top 32 football coaches in the world do.

On your first point...yes, that is ludicrous
On your second point...he has developed a lot of players, but he may have lost his edge there. Or maybe they missed on evaluating the talent that they have on defense. Who knows.

On your forth point...I would argue that makes the same decisions that every other coach would make. Impossible to know that. Each individual case is different.

Mostly, on your third point....I personally prefer the gunslinger types. I don't care about interceptions as long as you get a win. I like risk takers. He holds back his QB's from being risk takers. He isn't a risk taker in any aspect of his coaching. Like has already been mentioned, he couldn't stand Keenum for for taking risks, and he would have hated Favre too.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikeFanInEagleLand wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:25 pm
Mostly, on your third point....I personally prefer the gunslinger types. I don't care about interceptions as long as you get a win. I like risk takers. He holds back his QB's from being risk takers. He isn't a risk taker in any aspect of his coaching. Like has already been mentioned, he couldn't stand Keenum for for taking risks, and he would have hated Favre too.
I can neither prove or disprove Zimmer is coaching his QBs to be safe versus taking reasonable risks, outside of pointing to quotes this year where he said Cousins needs to stop playing so safe, but your overall point about interceptions is incorrect, imo. You look at the stats of the average losing QB and the average winning QB, and by far the biggest difference between the two is interceptions, with the average losing QB throwing almost 2 ints per game, the average winning one throwing about half an int. Yards and even TDs there is not a significant difference, between a QB in a loss and a QB in a win whereas not turning it over seems to be the key to winning (obviously).

To your point, QBs do need to be willing to take risks, but they need to be willing to do that and not actually throw picks to win football games.

Also, could it be Zimmer didn't like Keenum because he was a backup level QB?
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

IIsweet wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:02 pm
psjordan wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:30 am Nothing too concrete in terms of "this WILL happen", but a couple decent write-ups:

Zimmer in Two Week Mode:
https://apple.news/AEqCiR1maQuGn3VhoLTb_EA

Broncos will look to acquire Cousins this offseason:
https://apple.news/AnTDBvWkPTzqxyj-Qf5EtXQ
Cousins to Denver makes a lot of sense, even though I think NO is better but cap$ is an issue. Denver has the $$ and has been looking for a QB forever it seems. Manning walks on water there. Since he left, they cannot figure it out. Actually couldn't figure out the posiition before he got there after Elway retired.
So instead of constantly throwing draft pick capital and getting nothing in return, use a couple picks for a proven guy. Then build the D with future 1st rd picks. They really are a good QB, and HC/OC from being a big threat !!! Big time playmakers in RB Williams, WRs Sutton, Jeudy, Patrick, Hamler(inj), TEs Fant and AO.

So this is very valid and actually might be worth monitoring.
That would, as of now, be the 11th and 12th picks of the 1st rd. How would we draft? Would we go into 2022 with a rookie at QB? Competition between Mannion, Mond, and rookie? Bring in a veteran? Fire sale and go with youth movement new HC/OC.
Like someone mentioned in another post....
This could be a very fun and franchise altering offseason !!!
They are discussing this right now on Denver boards:
In response to someone saying
The guys that scare me are Kirk Cousins,
You have a lot of agreement:
reminds me of the flacco move
WE FEAR THE COUSINS MOVE.

PATON WILL LIVE IN INFAMY AS AN AHOLE IN HALLWAYS OF MHR IF SUCH A MOVE IS MADE.
Cousins is like a modern day Brian Griese
No way on Cousins or Ryan
Literally not a single positive response to the idea.
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

Whatever route to success Vikings ownership decides to take I see these changes more as a two or three year plan than instant success in 2022. Rebuilds aren't a guarantee, I've seen plenty of teams over the years that were/are stuck in a constant state of rebuild aka always promising improvement year after year as they continue to dwell at the bottom of their division.

There are some interesting scenarios being floated around on Purple Daily about Zimmer, Speilman, Cousins and the cap situation. The general consensus is that the Wilfs are going to be willing to throw millions in guaranteed money into the fireplace but I'm not so sure. They have willingly spent on this team up until now but the Cousins deal and last off season's retooling of the defense have fallen short of expected results. We've got several big contracts coming up for renewal for guys who want to get paid for their performance along with the Coach & GM situation as well.

I'm over Zimmer for several reasons that have little to do with our record. The way he presents himself to the media, deriding players publicly, those are not the ways of a winning Coach. Actually I was thinking back to before the Vikings came to town when I used to attach myself to other teams for the season. My favorite was the Colts with Johnny Unitas, second favorite the Packers as well as a few others I liked to watch. I'm thinking as I get into my 70's that it might be time for a divorce between myself and the home team.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:57 pm They are discussing this right now on Denver boards (i.e. - trading for Cousins this coming offseason):

So all the Vikings need to happen is for one GM to be desperate and deluded to pull off a Cousins trade this offseason...

I know we all want to believe Cousins is the kind of QB that a team that thinks it is on the cusp next year might trade for this offseason, but I just don't see that happening. Not only does Cousins carry the baggage of a mega star contract (admittedly, baggage the Vikings might be willing to bear for the right draft compensation), but he carries a well-worn stigma of not being able to beat the good teams or win in the playoffs. He had some of that prior to when Spielman initially signed him, but as of today he's fully erased any doubts about whether he can change that. He's a QB who will beat the bad teams for you, lose against the good teams for you, and put up the stats that leave you wondering how in the heck the team missed the playoffs yet again this year with that kind of production at QB...

He's fool's gold. Nobody with a brain in their head is going to pay gold rates for fool's gold, and unfortunately for Vikings fans, rare is the person named a GM who lacks a brain. It can happen, but when it does the team that hired such a person is usually so bad they are the opposite of desperate during the offseason.

Vikings are going to have to play hardball with Cousins and his agent I'm afraid. Get him to lower that cap figure a bit so they can ship him somewhere where the GM is willing to pay for what Cousins brings to the table, and even then, I'm not entirely convinced there will be a huge market for him if there is one at all. His reputation precedes him. A truly competitive team that is just a QB away would be the only market for him, and even then I'm not sure what they'd be willing to part with to get Cousins.

There are the Facts of Life, and one of them is you need a starting QB who can beat teams with winning records at around the same rate he loses to such teams to win in the playoffs, and usually the same to compete for division titles as well. Who out there is going to be willing to pay for a guy who has a now undisputable track record of NOT doing that?
VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:22 pm
... your overall point about interceptions is incorrect, imo. You look at the stats of the average losing QB and the average winning QB, and by far the biggest difference between the two is interceptions, with the average losing QB throwing almost 2 ints per game, the average winning one throwing about half an int. Yards and even TDs there is not a significant difference, between a QB in a loss and a QB in a win whereas not turning it over seems to be the key to winning (obviously).

Also, could it be Zimmer didn't like Keenum because he was a backup level QB?
The key word being "Average". Most QB's that throw a lot of interceptions aren't very good QB's to begin with, so they throw 2 in a game and they virtually have no chance to overcome them. But there is that breed of QB, that CAN throw 2 or even 3 in a game and it doesn't bother them in the least, because they end up throwing 3 or 4 TD's to go along with them. I mentioned Favre for example. He threw over 20 interceptions six times in his career. He threw 273 INT's in 255 game with Green Bay and had only one losing season. I realize Favre is an extreme example. Obviously you don't want your QB to throw interceptions. But I want one that's not afraid to.

I don't have proof that Zimmer coaches Cousins to be ultra-safe either, but I think there is plenty of evidence that he does. As J.Kapp said, Zimmer wants a QB that stays on script. I think he tells his QB's to only throw downfield if the play calls for it, or if a receiver is wide open. We get angry at Cousins for checking down so often, but I think that is exactly what he is instructed to do. As a matter of fact, he does it so often that he doesn't even look downfield to see the wide open receivers on occasion, which is what led Zimmer to make the statements about Cousins playing too safe.

The Keenum season still gets under my skin. A coach is obviously entitled to have an opinion on a player, but when that player is given a chance, and has success, why can't the coach admit he may me wrong. When Keenum was kicked to the curb after that season, just think what that did to the psyche of every other player that is TRYING to make it. Kurt Warner or maybe even Tom Brady sure were lucky that they didn't play for Zimmer. They weren't the starters, and when the starters (you know...the guys with the REAL talent) were healthy, they would have been sent back to the bench. I know it's been said that Keenum has proved Zimmer right in his inability to succeed elsewhere after leaving Minnesota, but I can only think that his psyche, and his confidence were also destroyed after that.

I think you're right. He did see Keenum as a backup level QB, and worse yet...a backup level QB that he couldn't get to stay with the script.

I'm not sure Zimmer really disliked Bradford or dislikes Cousins. They pretty much play his game too. But Teddy could also scramble. A young likable QB that he was molding into doing it his way that could not only check down on a given play, but could also take off and run. A nice, safe offense just the way Zimmer likes it.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingLord wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:04 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:57 pm They are discussing this right now on Denver boards (i.e. - trading for Cousins this coming offseason):

So all the Vikings need to happen is for one GM to be desperate and deluded to pull off a Cousins trade this offseason...

I know we all want to believe Cousins is the kind of QB that a team that thinks it is on the cusp next year might trade for this offseason, but I just don't see that happening. Not only does Cousins carry the baggage of a mega star contract (admittedly, baggage the Vikings might be willing to bear for the right draft compensation), but he carries a well-worn stigma of not being able to beat the good teams or win in the playoffs. He had some of that prior to when Spielman initially signed him, but as of today he's fully erased any doubts about whether he can change that. He's a QB who will beat the bad teams for you, lose against the good teams for you, and put up the stats that leave you wondering how in the heck the team missed the playoffs yet again this year with that kind of production at QB...

He's fool's gold. Nobody with a brain in their head is going to pay gold rates for fool's gold, and unfortunately for Vikings fans, rare is the person named a GM who lacks a brain. It can happen, but when it does the team that hired such a person is usually so bad they are the opposite of desperate during the offseason.

Vikings are going to have to play hardball with Cousins and his agent I'm afraid. Get him to lower that cap figure a bit so they can ship him somewhere where the GM is willing to pay for what Cousins brings to the table, and even then, I'm not entirely convinced there will be a huge market for him if there is one at all. His reputation precedes him. A truly competitive team that is just a QB away would be the only market for him, and even then I'm not sure what they'd be willing to part with to get Cousins.

There are the Facts of Life, and one of them is you need a starting QB who can beat teams with winning records at around the same rate he loses to such teams to win in the playoffs, and usually the same to compete for division titles as well. Who out there is going to be willing to pay for a guy who has a now undisputable track record of NOT doing that?
I would love to bet you on this, but my wife would likely divorce me. Not sure if her problem would be the gambling or that she’s as down on the Cousins idea as you are. :lol:

Seriously, we need to refer back to this post in a few months. Depends on who the coach is, I suppose. But I’d be surprised if he doesn’t get traded.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:11 pm
VikingLord wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:04 pm

I would love to bet you on this, but my wife would likely divorce me. Not sure if her problem would be the gambling or that she’s as down on the Cousins idea as you are. :lol:

Seriously, we need to refer back to this post in a few months. Depends on who the coach is, I suppose. But I’d be surprised if he doesn’t get traded.
Kapp I hope you are right, but I fear that VL's line of reasoning is spot on here. People are speculating that the Steelers, Broncos, Saints, even the 49ers are potential trade partners for Kirk. I don't see it. Those franchises aren't a stupid as we were and there is more data now (than when we made the signing) confirming that Cousins can't hang with the big boys and has a terrible record against teams with winning records.

I really hope Rick gets fired or at least has his power mitigated by assuming another role and making way for a new GM. I am tired of Zimm, but I am also SUPER tired of the Ricker.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

I think Cousins has trade value. Some of these GM/coaches are in a bind and have zero chance of making the playoffs with what they currently have and they have a playoff core. They need to do something or they will get fired. The Panthers can't go with what they have. Darnold and Newton take them off the table. Their fans are getting pissed. In Denver another fall back Teddy type won't cut it again. Teams and coaches know what Cousins is and isn't. He's no secret. Players know what he is as a teammate/person. I'm sure some hate him. No different than any other work environment. We will get something for him but I have no idea what it will be. Hopefully Speilman isn't doing the deal. He's a sucker and can be talked into anything. Then we will be back on the revolving stiffs at QB again. Hopefully the cycle will be shorter. I don't have 30 years to wait.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:15 pm I think Cousins has trade value. Some of these GM/coaches are in a bind and have zero chance of making the playoffs with what they currently have and they have a playoff core. They need to do something or they will get fired. The Panthers can't go with what they have. Darnold and Newton take them off the table. Their fans are getting pissed. In Denver another fall back Teddy type won't cut it again. Teams and coaches know what Cousins is and isn't. He's no secret. Players know what he is as a teammate/person. I'm sure some hate him. No different than any other work environment. We will get something for him but I have no idea what it will be. Hopefully Speilman isn't doing the deal. He's a sucker and can be talked into anything. Then we will be back on the revolving stiffs at QB again. Hopefully the cycle will be shorter. I don't have 30 years to wait.
I hate to break it to you but Cousins will be sitting at home for the second straight season just like Darnold, Teddy, Carr and all the other QBs who just aren't good enough.

It is no sure thing that Cousins joins a good team and that team makes the playoff, as evidenced by 2018.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

Horrible rumors on the news. Wilf planning to fire Zim but keep Spielman in charge. What a ship of fools we have for owner….
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

chicagopurple wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:57 pm Horrible rumors on the news. Wilf planning to fire Zim but keep Spielman in charge. What a ship of fools we have for owner….
https://twitter.com/SKORNorth/status/14 ... 7338034177'

https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/rep ... e-capacity

Mike Zimmer's dismissal as head coach of the Minnesota Vikings is all but official at this point. A new report from Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports indicates that the Vikings are planning on moving on from Zimmer following Sunday's regular season finale against the Bears. This isn't a surprise, considering this season was viewed as a make-or-break year and has fallen well short of expectations. Since the Vikings' loss to the Packers last week, Zimmer has been acting like a guy who knows his tenure is about to end.

The other big news from La Canfora is that general manager Rick Spielman is expected to remain with the Vikings in some capacity.
-----
The Vikings are expected to move on from head coach Mike Zimmer this week, league sources said, though longtime general manager Rick Spielman is likely to remain with the organization. ... Zimmer was nearly let go a few years back, and sources said there was a clear mandate from ownership to be a true contender in 2021; Minnesota got off to a slow start, has erratic results from week to week and never sustained any momentum on either side of the ball. Zimmer was under fire for the construction of his staff and has repeatedly clashed with offensive staff over the years.

The Vikings brass has been averse to change over the years and has been very loyal to Spielman, but Zimmer's abrasive style has been an issue within that team for years, and the need to go in a different direction has seemed clear to many decision makers there in recent weeks, sources said. Spielman is very close with ownership and is trusted immensely; the team has spent big and has yet to win big, but several league sources said they would be very surprised if Spielman was not a part of the organization in some capacity moving forward.

Spielman could remain in Minnesota in a role that oversees the coach and potential new general manager, or ownership could end up with a different balance of power depending on how the coaching search unfolds.
-----