Cousins out Sunday night against GB

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Cousins out Sunday night against GB

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Maybe these world class athletes are more concerned with possibly getting myocarditis or pericarditis than a virus that 99% will survive? Maybe they're concerned with the longterm impact being jabbed over and over will have on their bodies. No one knows that and we won't know for a long time. Regardless, it is a personal choice and the NFL is discriminating against those who choose not to partake. They are also doxxing those who choose not to get it. They should be treated the same as those who are vaccinated in order to retain confidentiality. Whatever their reasons are that is a private matter that no one has a right to know. It is a personal medical choice. An awful lot of vaccinated players have had it this year too.

I believe the CDC just said you are most likely to spread it 2 days before symptoms and 3 days after they start. The two days before means the NFL should be testing everyone regularly if they're serious about it.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:42 pm Maybe these world class athletes are more concerned with possibly getting myocarditis or pericarditis than a virus that 99% will survive? Maybe they're concerned with the longterm impact being jabbed over and over will have on their bodies. No one knows that and we won't know for a long time. Regardless, it is a personal choice and the NFL is discriminating against those who choose not to partake. They are also doxxing those who choose not to get it. They should be treated the same as those who are vaccinated in order to retain confidentiality. Whatever their reasons are that is a private matter that no one has a right to know. It is a personal medical choice. An awful lot of vaccinated players have had it this year too.

I believe the CDC just said you are most likely to spread it 2 days before symptoms and 3 days after they start. The two days before means the NFL should be testing everyone regularly if they're serious about it.
You mean those same athletes that get filled with antibiotics and painkillers and all that stuff when they get surgery are concerned with the long term effects?
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

I know it's a crazy suggestion - but if Kirk really wanted to do everything he could to avoid getting COVID (aside from participating in the vaccination program) - he honestly needed to homeschool the kids, only do immediate family xmas celebrations, instacart every grocery order, attend virtual religious services, pause the house cleaning crew, etc.

It could be done but obviously Kirk wasn't serious when he said he'd "do everything" to avoid getting COVID since getting vaccinated was the easiest path in the first place.

I think Kirk is a better QB than most Vikings fans believe, but I'm out on him, Cook, Thielen, and Smith. Maybe it was all inevitable but they all could've done way more than they did and that tells me a lot about all those guys and maybe why we haven't been terribly successful with any of them on the team.
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

This new variant is spreading fast. I've seen increased positives at work. I wouldn't be surprised if more players around the NFL miss games in the upcoming weeks
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

I will be watching the game tonight. My opinion on this game.

Quarterback question.

I already stated my opinion how I feel about Mannion, rather see Mond start over Mannion. I believe I would look at GB sitting good for this win,
We beat GB game 1 at home
Now they are going in with Mannion as about with Cousins our,

I know we are capable of beating GB, with cousins, but would lay my money on GB with a healthy cousins But Mannion no...

Question,,, Is there anyone on here that believe Mannion can carry the Vikings to a win over GB tonight ?

I never cared for him as a back up.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:42 pm Maybe these world class athletes are more concerned with possibly getting myocarditis or pericarditis than a virus that 99% will survive?
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... vents.html

The CDC tracks all adverse events associated with vaccination. While there have been documented instances of myocarditis and pericarditis reported to the CDC, the relative chances of that are pretty small compared to the total vaccinated population. Even if one considers just young men and teenagers who have been vaccinated, those numbers indicate the chances of either of those occurring is considerably smaller than the negative effects of getting COVID. Those negative effects are not just death. For many, there is damage to the lungs and other organs in the body.

I continue to look at it as a given person has two choices - get vaccinated and take the relatively large benefits of that over the relatively small risks, or get infected by the virus one or more times and take the relatively large risks and no benefits of getting that.
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:42 pm Maybe they're concerned with the longterm impact being jabbed over and over will have on their bodies. No one knows that and we won't know for a long time.
mRNA vaccines leave no appreciable long-term traces in the body that I am aware of. For a small period of time they instruct immune cells in the body to produce antibodies against specific proteins that the COVID virus uses to infect cells. The mRNA used in the vaccines is relatively rapidly broken down.

In many ways these vaccines are better than classic vaccines most of us received as children which contained weakened or inactivated virus.

As before, one weighs the knowns against the unknowns. Yes, there is always the chance some component of a vaccine will produce some yet-to-emerge consequence in the larger population of vaccinated people, but the most immediate consequence of a failure to vaccinate is the person remains susceptible to infection by a known pathogen with known severe outcomes.

In other words, there is a relatively small and theoretical future risk associated with vaccines, compared to a relatively large and known present risk from COVID infection.
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:42 pm Regardless, it is a personal choice and the NFL is discriminating against those who choose not to partake. They are also doxxing those who choose not to get it. They should be treated the same as those who are vaccinated in order to retain confidentiality. Whatever their reasons are that is a private matter that no one has a right to know. It is a personal medical choice. An awful lot of vaccinated players have had it this year too.
I have two comments on your points here:

- NFL contacts routinely have clauses that place demands and restrictions on the personal choices of the athletes who choose to sign them. These clauses range from passing physicals (invasive ones at that) to personal conduct both on *and* off the field. Especially as it relates to physical health and the ability to play, which affects a given team's ability to compete and win, the NFL and its teams are more than within their rights to expect certain things that might infringe on a player's individual rights.
- Along those lines, it is important to remember that the player willingly cedes them. Nobody is forced to play pro football. Nobody is forced to sign a given contract, and almost every player has professional representation to make sure his interests are fully considered before sigining a contract. A contract is a give-and-take between two parties who voluntarily agree on the set of conditions and consideration required to seal the deal. I suspect future contracts will include vaccination clauses due to the number of players who have missed games this year and the potential impact their absence can have on their teams.
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:42 pm I believe the CDC just said you are most likely to spread it 2 days before symptoms and 3 days after they start. The two days before means the NFL should be testing everyone regularly if they're serious about it.
I agree. Testing everyone regularly is a good idea at this point.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Foreman44 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:23 pm I will be watching the game tonight. My opinion on this game.

Quarterback question.

I already stated my opinion how I feel about Mannion, rather see Mond start over Mannion. I believe I would look at GB sitting good for this win,
We beat GB game 1 at home
Now they are going in with Mannion as about with Cousins our,

I know we are capable of beating GB, with cousins, but would lay my money on GB with a healthy cousins But Mannion no...

Question,,, Is there anyone on here that believe Mannion can carry the Vikings to a win over GB tonight ?

I never cared for him as a back up.
In the NFL nothing would surprise me. IMO we were going to pound the ball even if Kirk played. The weather is going to be a #### for every player. I think the cold weather like tonight will impact the passing game more than the running game. Mannion isn't very good but he has been around for a few years and I think the key is not turning it over. We need to get a few time consuming drives together which means running the ball. Cook is a dam good back and Matti is decent himself. Plus the Packers have shown they can't stop the run. Teams have pounded the ball on them. Like always they will need space to run which comes down to the blocking at the LOS. I wouldn't look to be carried by Mannion but look for the OL to get a push for Cook to run through. If Cook is bottled up we are dead meat. If we play a top level game at the LOS and don't turn the ball over we can stick with them. Staying with them gives us a chance at the end for something to happen in our favor. Our players have always played there balls off for Zim and I expect them to do the same tonight. If I had to bet my life I would pick the Packers to win even if Cousins was playing. We need the breaks to go our way and play clean football to have a chance. Hopefully it becomes windy.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

VikingLord wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:47 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:42 pm Maybe these world class athletes are more concerned with possibly getting myocarditis or pericarditis than a virus that 99% will survive?
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... vents.html

The CDC tracks all adverse events associated with vaccination. While there have been documented instances of myocarditis and pericarditis reported to the CDC, the relative chances of that are pretty small compared to the total vaccinated population. Even if one considers just young men and teenagers who have been vaccinated, those numbers indicate the chances of either of those occurring is considerably smaller than the negative effects of getting COVID. Those negative effects are not just death. For many, there is damage to the lungs and other organs in the body.

I continue to look at it as a given person has two choices - get vaccinated and take the relatively large benefits of that over the relatively small risks, or get infected by the virus one or more times and take the relatively large risks and no benefits of getting that.
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:42 pm Maybe they're concerned with the longterm impact being jabbed over and over will have on their bodies. No one knows that and we won't know for a long time.
mRNA vaccines leave no appreciable long-term traces in the body that I am aware of. For a small period of time they instruct immune cells in the body to produce antibodies against specific proteins that the COVID virus uses to infect cells. The mRNA used in the vaccines is relatively rapidly broken down.

In many ways these vaccines are better than classic vaccines most of us received as children which contained weakened or inactivated virus.

As before, one weighs the knowns against the unknowns. Yes, there is always the chance some component of a vaccine will produce some yet-to-emerge consequence in the larger population of vaccinated people, but the most immediate consequence of a failure to vaccinate is the person remains susceptible to infection by a known pathogen with known severe outcomes.

In other words, there is a relatively small and theoretical future risk associated with vaccines, compared to a relatively large and known present risk from COVID infection.
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:42 pm Regardless, it is a personal choice and the NFL is discriminating against those who choose not to partake. They are also doxxing those who choose not to get it. They should be treated the same as those who are vaccinated in order to retain confidentiality. Whatever their reasons are that is a private matter that no one has a right to know. It is a personal medical choice. An awful lot of vaccinated players have had it this year too.
I have two comments on your points here:

- NFL contacts routinely have clauses that place demands and restrictions on the personal choices of the athletes who choose to sign them. These clauses range from passing physicals (invasive ones at that) to personal conduct both on *and* off the field. Especially as it relates to physical health and the ability to play, which affects a given team's ability to compete and win, the NFL and its teams are more than within their rights to expect certain things that might infringe on a player's individual rights.
- Along those lines, it is important to remember that the player willingly cedes them. Nobody is forced to play pro football. Nobody is forced to sign a given contract, and almost every player has professional representation to make sure his interests are fully considered before sigining a contract. A contract is a give-and-take between two parties who voluntarily agree on the set of conditions and consideration required to seal the deal. I suspect future contracts will include vaccination clauses due to the number of players who have missed games this year and the potential impact their absence can have on their teams.
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:42 pm I believe the CDC just said you are most likely to spread it 2 days before symptoms and 3 days after they start. The two days before means the NFL should be testing everyone regularly if they're serious about it.
I agree. Testing everyone regularly is a good idea at this point.
I have to admit that although I don't always agree with you I do appreciate your logical and well thought out responses.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

So what do we really know about Mannion?

Is he mobile? My guess is “not very”
Does he have a strong arm?
How’s his accuracy?
Can he read defenses like a veteran?
Can he make the utility throws: outs, screens, etc.?
Can he be decisive in the pocket, or is he going fetal and taking sacks?

I mean, they must see something in the guy. Right? :confused:
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

If Cousins ultimate goal was to win a Super Bowl, how can you defend his decision to not get the vaccine?
Clearly his goals are more “personal “

The biggest game of the season and he can’t suit up because of something he never took seriously. Pretty comical if you ask me. Same with Cook.

I sure hope last week was the last game we see Cousins in purple.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

soflavike wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:56 pm So what do we really know about Mannion?

Is he mobile? My guess is “not very”
Does he have a strong arm?
How’s his accuracy?
Can he read defenses like a veteran?
Can he make the utility throws: outs, screens, etc.?
Can he be decisive in the pocket, or is he going fetal and taking sacks?

I mean, they must see something in the guy. Right? :confused:
I’d like to see Mond but I’m not against starting Mannion. He knows the system, he’s more prepared. I would put him on a short leash tho.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

808vikingsfan wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:05 pm If Cousins ultimate goal was to win a Super Bowl, how can you defend his decision to not get the vaccine?

The biggest game of the season and he can’t suit up because of something he never took seriously. Pretty comical if you ask me. Same with Cook.

If you think winning a Super Bowl is the most important thing in his life you are in fantasy land. I'm sure there are many other things that are more important. It's a job like any other job. But he is a competitor which is why he made it to the highest level of the sport he plays. He wants to win if he didn't he never would have made it this far. You're like others who want him out. Let's get back on the QB trolley that's a fun ride. We can start with the next Spergeon Winn or Joe Webb or any other bum after bum we have had. All medical treatment is a personal choice. You could say any person that plays this game isn't taking it seriously. People are sweating and breathing on each other with close contact for hours. That's stupidity on all them. Every game is big. We gave this season away long before this. The Packers are division champs.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:42 am
S197 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:30 pm Wow the plexiglass failed him? Who ever could have seen this happening?

They should rip the “C” off his jersey. Selfish idiot. Can’t wait to be rid of him and the people responsible for signing him.
yup send dalvin and Thielen packing too. And Harrison smith. What a bunch of selfish idiots :roll:
I said it very early on, they should have all been stripped of their captain’s designation. After watching Dozier get hospitalized these selfish idiots still did nothing to protect their teammates. And now Kiqk has gifted the Packers a bye.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

S197 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:16 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:42 am

yup send dalvin and Thielen packing too. And Harrison smith. What a bunch of selfish idiots :roll:
I said it very early on, they should have all been stripped of their captain’s designation. After watching Dozier get hospitalized these selfish idiots still did nothing to protect their teammates. And now Kiqk has gifted the Packers a bye.
The way Kirk has played the past few weeks I see no way he helps us win that game.
VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

808vikingsfan wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:05 pm If Cousins ultimate goal was to win a Super Bowl, how can you defend his decision to not get the vaccine?

So you're saying that if your employer asked you to do something that you felt was unsafe, you'd do it? I guess you look up to all those guys that pumped steroids into their bodies because they put football ahead of their own health.

When are you guys going to understand that it doesn't matter what YOU think? It's HIS body. If HE feels that the vaccine might not be as safe in the long haul, then it doesn't matter that YOU or anyone else feels otherwise.