Madden

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Tark
Starter

Madden

Post by Tark »

OK, so I understand this isn’t exactly a Vikings post but he did beat us in Super Bowl XI I think and deserves some respect :bowdown: I’ll go nostalgic now and you youngsters just ignore the the post but I bet Kapp knows what I’m talking about. I remember growing up listening to Pat Sommerall and Tom Brookshire broadcasting our games. When Tom passed it was Pat and John Madden. Then John shifted to FOX and broadcasted with Al Michaels before retiring. I think he may have invented the turducky prize for the Thanksgiving’s games. Rest In Peace John.
Lash Man
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Madden

Post by Lash Man »

Been a Vikings Die Hard since the 76/77 season and I confess I hated Madden as a coach because of SB11 but loved him as an announcer .
LETS GO VIKINGS ! :rock:
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Tark wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:49 pm OK, so I understand this isn’t exactly a Vikings post but he did beat us in Super Bowl XI I think and deserves some respect :bowdown: I’ll go nostalgic now and you youngsters just ignore the the post but I bet Kapp knows what I’m talking about. I remember growing up listening to Pat Sommerall and Tom Brookshire broadcasting our games. When Tom passed it was Pat and John Madden. Then John shifted to FOX and broadcasted with Al Michaels before retiring. I think he may have invented the turducky prize for the Thanksgiving’s games. Rest In Peace John.
His Super Bowl win over our Vikings is impossible for me to forget. My dad, who took me to my first Vikings game in 1969 (Joe Kapp’s 7-TD pass game, hence my avatar), died of a heart attack a few hours after the game.

I hated Madden the coach. He was very demonstrative on the sideline, and the Raiders played borderline dirty. I particularly loathed his celebrating during that Super Bowl.

But as I look back now, I’d kill for a coach like Madden. He was the polar opposite of the stoic Bud Grant, and for that matter the opposite of Mike Zimmer. Madden was boisterous and ran all over the sidelines, pumping up his players, berating officials, celebrating big plays. He also won 75% of his games, the highest winning percentage of any coach in NFL history with at least 100 wins. His teams were tough and hard nosed, yet they could be spectacular on offense. It was hard to watch those Raiders hand the Vikings their butts in that Super Bowl, but the adult version of me knows they were miles better than we were. Hard not to respect what Madden did with that franchise.

He was extremely entertaining as a broadcaster, perhaps the first true entertainer to work the broadcast booth. Yes, I definitely remember Tom Brookshire … he was so serious. Madden knew his stuff, but he also made it fun. Yeah, he introduced the turducken to the Thanksgiving games in Dallas. Speaking of that, my favorite call of Madden’s was on one of Randy Moss’s 3 TDs on Thanksgiving in 1998: “ You knew they were going to do it, the fans knew they were going to do it, the Dallas Cowboys knew they were going to do it. And they still did it.” Summerall said, “He’s incredible!” to which Madden said, “He better like a turkey leg!” (the game’s top player got the turkey leg off the turducken).

I think my favorite memories of Madden away from football were his Lite Beer from Miller commercials. All the celebrity actors in those ads were great, but Madden was simply bigger than life. And funny.

The best impression of any comedian in the history of the world is Frank Caliendo doing John Madden. If you’ve never seen it, search YouTube … and prepare to be in stitches.

Interestingly enough, I have zero experience with his video game. For some reason, I can’t stand playing video games. I was at my sister’s house for Christmas Eve … when the party degraded to everybody watching my niece and nephew playing 3D Mario on the 70-inch TV, that’s when I knew it was time to leave. :lol:

John Madden … a true pioneer in a number of areas, especially (but not exclusively) football.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Truly a Legend in every sense of the word. There will never be another Madden. Boom! Tough Actin' Tenactin! RIP
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
40for60
Starter

Post by 40for60 »

I am also old enough (and a fan) to remember the four Vikings Super Bowls. I remember being almost shocked when they lost a game. I agree with Kapp, I didn’t like Madden the coach at the time and if they played borderline dirty, they crossed the border more than once. I remember fairly late in the SB when the Vikes weren’t totally out of it they started moving the ball with some downfield passes to Sammy White. Eventually there was a pass to White where a notoriously dirty Raider DB (don’t recall his name offhand) almost took his head off. In fact his helmet went flying and he was out the rest of the game. The rules were drastically different then, but it was bad. But I didn’t hate Madden as much as Stram and his video of his rants in SB IV.

Anyway I did love Madden as the announcer and pitchman. He made the game fun which is kind of missing nowadays.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

40for60 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:49 pm I am also old enough (and a fan) to remember the four Vikings Super Bowls. I remember being almost shocked when they lost a game. I agree with Kapp, I didn’t like Madden the coach at the time and if they played borderline dirty, they crossed the border more than once. I remember fairly late in the SB when the Vikes weren’t totally out of it they started moving the ball with some downfield passes to Sammy White. Eventually there was a pass to White where a notoriously dirty Raider DB (don’t recall his name offhand) almost took his head off. In fact his helmet went flying and he was out the rest of the game. The rules were drastically different then, but it was bad. But I didn’t hate Madden as much as Stram and his video of his rants in SB IV.

Anyway I did love Madden as the announcer and pitchman. He made the game fun which is kind of missing nowadays.
That was "The Assasian " Jack Tatum that knocked off Sammy's helmet, and almost his head off with it. One of the hardest hitting DBs to ever play the game. And definitely not afraid to break the rules at all. His half younger brother Rodney played DB at the University of Toledo when I was there in college and lived on the same floor in the dorm our freshman year and became pretty good friends for that year. Jack was a Buckeye , played his college ball at The Ohio State University
I definitely remember that nightmare Super Bowl. I was 13 at the time and it was just another one of the scars that I still carry as a die hard Vikes fan since I was old enough to love and understand football.
I also didn't like Madden when he was coaching then , for the exact reasons as mentioned by others here. First they beat us!! And just his style of coaching really pissed me off while they were beating us.
But as I got older and he started as an announcer and commentator I really grew to love and appreciate the man. I still remember when he coined the term sloberknocker to describe a great hard hit.
Like Kapp, I never got into the video game. Or any other video games for that matter. It was never my thing. I was always out in the woods or by the water so I didn't really have time for them. But what an empire was built with his name!!!
There was only one John Madden ( unless you count Caliendo), and there will never be another. The man truly was an Icon IMO.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
40for60
Starter

Post by 40for60 »

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:44 pm
40for60 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:49 pm I am also old enough (and a fan) to remember the four Vikings Super Bowls. I remember being almost shocked when they lost a game. I agree with Kapp, I didn’t like Madden the coach at the time and if they played borderline dirty, they crossed the border more than once. I remember fairly late in the SB when the Vikes weren’t totally out of it they started moving the ball with some downfield passes to Sammy White. Eventually there was a pass to White where a notoriously dirty Raider DB (don’t recall his name offhand) almost took his head off. In fact his helmet went flying and he was out the rest of the game. The rules were drastically different then, but it was bad. But I didn’t hate Madden as much as Stram and his video of his rants in SB IV.

That was "The Assasian " Jack Tatum that knocked off Sammy's helmet, and almost his head off with it. One of the hardest hitting DBs to ever play the game. And definitely not afraid to break the rules at all. His half younger brother Rodney played DB at the University of Toledo when I was there in college and lived on the same floor in the dorm our freshman year and became pretty good friends for that year. Jack was a Buckeye , played his college ball at The Ohio State University
I definitely remember that nightmare Super Bowl. I was 13 at the time and it was just another one of the scars that I still carry as a die hard Vikes fan since I was old enough to love and understand football.
I also didn't like Madden when he was coaching then , for the exact reasons as mentioned by others here. First they beat us!! And just his style of coaching really pissed me off while they were beating us.
But as I got older and he started as an announcer and commentator I really grew to love and appreciate the man. I still remember when he coined the term sloberknocker to describe a great hard hit.
Like Kapp, I never got into the video game. Or any other video games for that matter. It was never my thing. I was always out in the woods or by the water so I didn't really have time for them. But what an empire was built with his name!!!
There was only one John Madden ( unless you count Caliendo), and there will never be another. The man truly was an Icon IMO.
Ah yes, Jack Tatum. He was the one who applied the hit that paralyzed Darryl Stingley. It was a legal hit at the time, but led to changes in the rules as we know today. The Darryl Stingley story is very sad.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

40for60 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:18 pm
Bowhunting Viking wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:44 pm

Ah yes, Jack Tatum. He was the one who applied the hit that paralyzed Darryl Stingley. It was a legal hit at the time, but led to changes in the rules as we know today. The Darryl Stingley story is very sad.
Yes the Daryl Stingley situation was so sad. I remember my dad and I watching that happen live. And I also remember watching the game in which Stingley was in attendance for the first time since the injury. They announced it and then showed him in a suite. The whole place went crazy.

Tatum has a rough life after football also. He had alot if they issues. Diabetes really took a roll on him. I know for sure that he had one leg amputated because of it , and I feel that I remember he also lost the other leg later but not sure on that.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

I didn't realize Madden was born in MN! Austin!

Maybe his parents ate a lot of spam. Something had to give him that personality!
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.