Teddy B...

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Foreman44
Transition Player

Teddy B...

Post by Foreman44 »

I am not seriously believing this. I will try posting the link if I can find it.

I saw a article last night stating Teddy is going to come back to Minn. big word here in assume. Assuming Minn trades Cousins to free up the dead cap.

Saying if it’s true. In which I don’t. Would you like to have
him back

For me I love the character, the person of who he is. But I don’t believe he would get us any farther than Cousins,

But with Zimmer no qb may make a difference.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Teddy B...

Post by StumpHunter »

Foreman44 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:35 am I am not seriously believing this. I will try posting the link if I can find it.

I saw a article last night stating Teddy is going to come back to Minn. big word here in assume. Assuming Minn trades Cousins to free up the dead cap.

Saying if it’s true. In which I don’t. Would you like to have
him back

For me I love the character, the person of who he is. But I don’t believe he would get us any farther than Cousins,

But with Zimmer no qb may make a difference.
His numbers weren't horrible in Denver behind one of the worst lines in football (6th most pressured QB) and most of Denver's worst scoring games were games where Teddy either got knocked out of them and Lock had to come in, or he didn't play. That means he was at least a somewhat positive on that offense.

The biggest issue is that despite putting up numbers that are pretty close to Carr and Ryan, he has nowhere near the durability those two have. Knocked out of 3 games and now I believe he is out for the season.

So with a very good defense and very good offensive weapons, you could make the playoffs with Teddy Bridgewater, but it is unlikely he will remain healthy for the entire season on the way to making them.

Even if healthy, he is nothing more than a bridge QB at this point though. Pun intended.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I'd rather see the Vikings take a flier on somebody like Tyler Huntley, who is a restricted free agent after the season. He looked really good against the Packers, and I suspect other teams will have interest, as well.

Huntley was a combine snub in 2020, but he obviously showed the Ravens enough to make him Lamar Jackson's backup by 2021 as an undrafted free agent. Here's an excerpt from his scouting report coming out of college.
Strengths
Immediately what comes to mind with Huntley is his ability to escape the pocket when he senses trouble. Not just a tuck-and-run guy, but he can extend plays with his legs and zip the ball downfield to the receiver. While he keeps his eyes downfield, Huntley is well aware where the markers are and will run. His footwork allows him to beat the defense with a variation of jukes. He does it well inside the pocket as well to give him time to find his read. His poise in the pocket is definitely a plus on the checklist.

Huntley has more than just an adequate arm. He shows good velocity on deep throws, especially off play action. Shows a good ball fake that linebackers will bite on before ripping it downfield. Really never a question of his velocity, just needs to make sure he doesn’t attempt too many off his back foot. A multi-platform thrower, doesn’t need a perfectly clean pocket to get the ball out as he will adjust his arm angle.

Weaknesses
The biggest questions on Huntley stem from his mechanics. His arm has plenty of juice when throwing the ball downfield but he needs to work on getting his feet set in the pocket. When his process is accelerated, can get slopping with throwing off his back foot or not resetting in the pocket. A lot of his accuracy issues would likely get better with proper mechanics but it is still a relative unknown with how much it will help his deep ball accuracy. He tends to sail some intermediate throws with a muddy pocket.
In many ways, Huntley is the anti-Cousins. Mobile, ability to escape, throws from multiple platforms, not as sound mechanically. What I liked against the Packers was his ability to extend plays and make something happen off-script. We Vikings fans haven't had that since Case Keenum in 2017.

With good coaching, Huntley could get tons better. His ceiling appears to be higher than Teddy's. We know who and what Teddy is. For me, if we're going to have a bridge year, why not have it with somebody who's a potential playmaker, rather than the NFL's ultimate game manager. I, for one, could use some excitement from the position.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:08 am I'd rather see the Vikings take a flier on somebody like Tyler Huntley, who is a restricted free agent after the season. He looked really good against the Packers, and I suspect other teams will have interest, as well.

Huntley was a combine snub in 2020, but he obviously showed the Ravens enough to make him Lamar Jackson's backup by 2021 as an undrafted free agent. Here's an excerpt from his scouting report coming out of college.
Strengths
Immediately what comes to mind with Huntley is his ability to escape the pocket when he senses trouble. Not just a tuck-and-run guy, but he can extend plays with his legs and zip the ball downfield to the receiver. While he keeps his eyes downfield, Huntley is well aware where the markers are and will run. His footwork allows him to beat the defense with a variation of jukes. He does it well inside the pocket as well to give him time to find his read. His poise in the pocket is definitely a plus on the checklist.

Huntley has more than just an adequate arm. He shows good velocity on deep throws, especially off play action. Shows a good ball fake that linebackers will bite on before ripping it downfield. Really never a question of his velocity, just needs to make sure he doesn’t attempt too many off his back foot. A multi-platform thrower, doesn’t need a perfectly clean pocket to get the ball out as he will adjust his arm angle.

Weaknesses
The biggest questions on Huntley stem from his mechanics. His arm has plenty of juice when throwing the ball downfield but he needs to work on getting his feet set in the pocket. When his process is accelerated, can get slopping with throwing off his back foot or not resetting in the pocket. A lot of his accuracy issues would likely get better with proper mechanics but it is still a relative unknown with how much it will help his deep ball accuracy. He tends to sail some intermediate throws with a muddy pocket.
In many ways, Huntley is the anti-Cousins. Mobile, ability to escape, throws from multiple platforms, not as sound mechanically. What I liked against the Packers was his ability to extend plays and make something happen off-script. We Vikings fans haven't had that since Case Keenum in 2017.

With good coaching, Huntley could get tons better. His ceiling appears to be higher than Teddy's. We know who and what Teddy is. For me, if we're going to have a bridge year, why not have it with somebody who's a potential playmaker, rather than the NFL's ultimate game manager. I, for one, could use some excitement from the position.
I have seen too many backups who have a couple of nice games fail as soon as they get an opportunity to start to get excited about Huntley. If he actually has a high ceiling some team will pay him big bucks this off season based on the 3 games he played starting snaps, but I suspect he will be a career backup at best.

While your premise that going with a guy with a high risk, high reward solution at QB is sound, I just don't think there is a realistic high reward with Huntley and would prefer to just stick with Mond.

The fact of the matter is, guys who have proven they can at least win double digit games like a Marriota or Teddy do have the higher ceilings as QBs than guys like Huntley do. There are no diamonds in the rough when it comes to QBs. Teams generally know what they have and it takes a whole lot of poor decision making or extreme circumstances for a Kurt Warner situation to happen.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:36 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:08 am I'd rather see the Vikings take a flier on somebody like Tyler Huntley, who is a restricted free agent after the season. He looked really good against the Packers, and I suspect other teams will have interest, as well.

I have seen too many backups who have a couple of nice games fail as soon as they get an opportunity to start to get excited about Huntley. If he actually has a high ceiling some team will pay him big bucks this off season based on the 3 games he played starting snaps, but I suspect he will be a career backup at best.

While your premise that going with a guy with a high risk, high reward solution at QB is sound, I just don't think there is a realistic high reward with Huntley and would prefer to just stick with Mond.

The fact of the matter is, guys who have proven they can at least win double digit games like a Marriota or Teddy do have the higher ceilings as QBs than guys like Huntley do. There are no diamonds in the rough when it comes to QBs. Teams generally know what they have and it takes a whole lot of poor decision making or extreme circumstances for a Kurt Warner situation to happen.
That's fair.

I disagree in this case, but it's fair.

My thing with Teddy is that he's been the same guy everywhere he's been. The fanbases of his teams engage in the same arguments we have about Cousins — is it Teddy's fault, or is it somebody else's fault? I'm tired of that.

Yes, backups who shine have signed big contracts and flopped. But I wouldn't do a deal with Huntley if it was a lot of money, so if somebody wants to pay him $20 million for one good game, then fine. Let them. I just think Huntley is worth exploring.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Teddy is about the last guy I want to see. I saw it for how many years and that chicken wing throwing the ball. I don't know how they let the guy play. How many concussion before the NFL says no more for him. Do they want him in a wheelchair first. Denver plays some good defense. The first 3 games this year they gave up a total of 26 points. That's insane good and 3 wins. They had some clunkers and Teddy did nothing and lost. I don't want to see that. We need to draft a guy. Trading Cousins won't happen because we don't have a GM that can make that type of deal or that will do that deal. Beyond that we have much bigger issues besides the QB.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I'm a huge Teddy fan but he probably isn't the answer long term. If we can get rid of Cousins/his deal and get Teddy for a season or two while finding the right person I'd take him without question. I'd love him to surprise me and prove to be "the guy" during that period. He's a great person and easy to cheer for.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

No. Teddy is surrounded with elite talent in Denver on offense and his numbers routinely are average at best. If you want a guy who goes about 23/27 for 187 yards 1 TD and 1 INT Teddy is your guy. If it is 3rd and 11 expect Teddy to check it down to a guy 5 yards downfield and hope he breaks 3 or 4 tackles. His numbers look solid because he has zero aggression until the game is over. He is a high end concussion prone back up. Denver would probably give us a good haul for Cousins. Cousins biggest problems are his inflated salary and zero pocket awareness. He is way better than Teddy but shouldn't be getting paid more than 35 million a year. 35 is the top dollar for Kirk if we are being reasonable.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:14 am Teddy is about the last guy I want to see. I saw it for how many years and that chicken wing throwing the ball. I don't know how they let the guy play. How many concussion before the NFL says no more for him. Do they want him in a wheelchair first. Denver plays some good defense. The first 3 games this year they gave up a total of 26 points. That's insane good and 3 wins. They had some clunkers and Teddy did nothing and lost. I don't want to see that. We need to draft a guy. Trading Cousins won't happen because we don't have a GM that can make that type of deal or that will do that deal. Beyond that we have much bigger issues besides the QB.
2 years. You saw it for two years where he went 6-6 and 11-5. That must have been really difficult to watch.

As for what he has done in Denver, compared to what your guy has done he has looked elite. In the 3 games Lock has played significant snaps the offense is averaging 10 points per game, the 12 games he hasn't played significant snaps they average 20. So he is at least a significant upgrade over Lock.

Again, not the answer, but at least a cheap stop gap if he didn't have the injury concerns. I would prefer Mariota, but it sounds like LV might look to trade Carr and use Mariota as their own stop gap QB.

Maybe we could trade Cousins for a 2nd and then trade a 3rd to LV for Carr. That would essentially be trading a 3rd for a 2nd and 12 million in cap since Carr and Cousins have about the same impact on wins and losses. Not sure a team would be willing to give that much up for Cousins though.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:00 am No. Teddy is surrounded with elite talent in Denver on offense
He is? The receivers overall are good not great, and Williams is looking like a stud. Neither the run game or receivers are as good as what the Vikings have currently and believe it or not, Denver's Oline is a downgrade from MN's, giving up the 6th highest pressure percentage compared to MN's 17th highest.

Not elite, not close to what we have here, but good enough where Rodgers joining that team would make it a SB contender. Good enough for Rodgers, Wilson, Mahomes, not good enough for Teddy, Carr, Ryan or Cousins.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:07 am
CharVike wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:14 am Teddy is about the last guy I want to see. I saw it for how many years and that chicken wing throwing the ball. I don't know how they let the guy play. How many concussion before the NFL says no more for him. Do they want him in a wheelchair first. Denver plays some good defense. The first 3 games this year they gave up a total of 26 points. That's insane good and 3 wins. They had some clunkers and Teddy did nothing and lost. I don't want to see that. We need to draft a guy. Trading Cousins won't happen because we don't have a GM that can make that type of deal or that will do that deal. Beyond that we have much bigger issues besides the QB.
2 years. You saw it for two years where he went 7-7 and 11-5. That must have been really difficult to watch.

As for what he has done in Denver, compared to what your guy has done he has looked elite. In the 3 games Lock has played significant snaps the offense is averaging 10 points per game, the 12 games he hasn't played significant snaps they average 20. So he is at least a significant upgrade over Lock.

Again, not the answer, but at least a cheap stop gap if he didn't have the injury concerns. I would prefer Mariota, but it sounds like LV might look to trade Carr and use Mariota as their own stop gap QB.

Maybe we could trade Cousins for a 2nd and then trade a 3rd to LV for Carr. That would essentially be trading a 3rd for a 2nd and 12 million in cap since Carr and Cousins have about the same impact on wins and losses. Not sure a team would be willing to give that much up for Cousins though.
I didn't realize it was only 2 years it felt like 20. I don't have fond memories with his skill set. Wounded duck is the only thing I think of. But the guy has a long career. Lock I did like. He has a nice skill set. He's a second year round 2 guy. People seem to expect these young QB to come in and perform like 10 year vets. Some are saying the 1st pick overall last year is a bust. That guy or Lock weren't a Luck or Elway or ??? type of prospect. Even Elway struggled for many years. He had every physical skill you can think of. It's an extremely difficult position. Not only from a physical skill set but you also have to be mentally above most. I have no idea what Cousins is worth and I highly doubt anyone does. What I seen the Rams give up for Stafford I couldn't believe it. He's Cousins. What we saw Sunday I have seen many times with him for many years. But I also seen him have great games. The 1st rounder for the Bears shouldn't be starting. He's laughable right now. They went with Foles and won. They would have beat us with Foles. The guy for the 49ers looked like dog ####. The Packer guy looked terrible. The 1st overall pick looks bad. They are all kids and that's their biggest problem right now. Same with the Jet guy. Teams will do stupid things for QBs. It's a position that must be filled. Look no further than that Panther joke. How can a pro GM feel he is set with those two clowns he has playing. I don't care if they cost nothing. That is too much for them. Who knows what our team will do. They might extend Zim and trader down.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:54 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:00 am No. Teddy is surrounded with elite talent in Denver on offense
He is? The receivers overall are good not great, and Williams is looking like a stud. Neither the run game or receivers are as good as what the Vikings have currently and believe it or not, Denver's Oline is a downgrade from MN's, giving up the 6th highest pressure percentage compared to MN's 17th highest.

Not elite, not close to what we have here, but good enough where Rodgers joining that team would make it a SB contender. Good enough for Rodgers, Wilson, Mahomes, not good enough for Teddy, Carr, Ryan or Cousins.
I would take their 3rd WR and Oline over ours. Bolles is a pretty good LT and they have guys like Cushenberry and Mienerz inside. They have had a lot of injuries up front. RT is their biggest weakness. Our RT is definitely better. The biggest difference is they have the best Oline coach in the game and we haven't had a good one since Sporano died.
mael·strom

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

CharVike wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:10 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:07 am

2 years. You saw it for two years where he went 7-7 and 11-5. That must have been really difficult to watch.

I didn't realize it was only 2 years it felt like 20. I don't have fond memories with his skill set. Wounded duck is the only thing I think of. But the guy has a long career. Lock I did like. He has a nice skill set. He's a second year round 2 guy. People seem to expect these young QB to come in and perform like 10 year vets. Some are saying the 1st pick overall last year is a bust. That guy or Lock weren't a Luck or Elway or ??? type of prospect. Even Elway struggled for many years. He had every physical skill you can think of. It's an extremely difficult position. Not only from a physical skill set but you also have to be mentally above most. I have no idea what Cousins is worth and I highly doubt anyone does. What I seen the Rams give up for Stafford I couldn't believe it. He's Cousins. What we saw Sunday I have seen many times with him for many years. But I also seen him have great games. The 1st rounder for the Bears shouldn't be starting. He's laughable right now. They went with Foles and won. They would have beat us with Foles. The guy for the 49ers looked like dog ####. The Packer guy looked terrible. The 1st overall pick looks bad. They are all kids and that's their biggest problem right now. Same with the Jet guy. Teams will do stupid things for QBs. It's a position that must be filled. Look no further than that Panther joke. How can a pro GM feel he is set with those two clowns he has playing. I don't care if they cost nothing. That is too much for them. Who knows what our team will do. They might extend Zim and trader down.
For some reason Fangio and Shurmur hate Lock and have aggressively tried to sabotage him. Lock makes some good wow throws and some bad wow throws. He seems too inconsistent to ever amount to anything in the league other than a back up. I'd much rather have him than Mannion as a back up though. Mannion is a joke.
mael·strom

StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:12 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:54 pm

I would take their 3rd WR and Oline over ours. Bolles is a pretty good LT and they have guys like Cushenberry and Mienerz inside. They have had a lot of injuries up front. RT is their biggest weakness. Our RT is definitely better. The biggest difference is they have the best Oline coach in the game and we haven't had a good one since Sporano died.
They have had a lot of injuries on that line and even with a good Oline coach the Oline is giving up a ton of pressures and sacks.
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:36 am

I do not recall the QBs name.or what team he played for. It was some years back.he was in his last year of his contract if I recall it right....He performed pretty good a few games, I know at least two teams were after him. Vikings one. Detroit another. Detroit offered more money big f money at the time....after a coupe poor yrs Detroit let him go. He isn’t the only about to hit it with a big contract, having a couple good games.

Who quarter backed the Eagles when they beat the Vikings in The NFC C Championship game against keenum. Played well a few games replacing a injured Wentz. Signed big, contract, never played great after.