Breeland Cut

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Re: Bye bye Breeland

Post by halfgiz »

I would say, it would seem that Breeland and Dantzler are both kind of loose cannons.
Dantzler has had his ups and downs with coverage. Hopefully an improvement.
Not to mention he has been in Zimmers dog house.
Raz
Veteran

Re: Breeland Cut

Post by Raz »

About time he was a cancer on the team. Play the young guys see what we have so there is a clue if we need to draft 2 corners or 3 or whatever. I’d keep Peterson around to mentor these young guys
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

makila wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:48 pm Regardless of his off field antics, his on field play deserved to be waived. Fine with it personally.

Also another FA signing that didn't work out. He was this type of player prior to being signed by Rick.
That's why building a team through free agency is a waste of time. Usually teams don't let their best players go they always find a way to keep them. We kept Hunter. There will be a couple guys each year that are good players and teammates but the price will be about 30% above their actual worth. Our guy Kirk is one of those. The G the Chiefs signed from NE is a good player but the cost is through the roof. You need to make it happen through the draft. Collecting late round picks is a pixie dust approach to drafting which trader down does every year basically. He will do it again this year if he's still has the job. Maybe moving up into the top 5 would help more. But doing that takes talent.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

halfgiz wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:18 am I would say, it would seem that Breeland and Dantzler are both kind of loose cannons.
In what way is Dantzler a lose cannon? :confused:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:15 pm
halfgiz wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:18 am I would say, it would seem that Breeland and Dantzler are both kind of loose cannons.
He got in Zimmers doghouse early in the season because he wasn’t playing.
Posting some question able texts
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

halfgiz wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:24 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:15 pm

He got in Zimmers doghouse early in the season because he wasn’t playing.
Posting some question able texts
I heard it was related to how he was practicing. But again some guys are simply gamers. Still a poor roster move by Zim
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:13 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:46 pm

If Spielman did it independent of zimmer, good for Rick. He made a statement that breelands attitude, whining, laziness and diva like persona isn’t going to fly here. It also could show that Rick has clearly seen the garbage Breeland has been producing all season and his lazy attitude. No less he went after our star player in dalvin. I read an article earlier that said many have said Breeland gets heated easily. Basically when he doesn’t get his way. I’m guessing this isn’t the first run-in with Breeland and coaches and or players. But clearly Spielman thought our coach didn’t have the balls to cut him if there really was no communication between him and Zimmer.

Dantzler was spielmans draft pick and I don’t care what anyone says, dantzler 1000% deserves to play over him. He has all year. He’s simply a better corner.

You know me Kapp, I don’t want Spielman to go but I want Zim to go kick rocks. Sure this could blow up but if Zim is pis#ed then boo hoo. He shouldn’t have been on the damn field to begin with and that is zims job to pull him off which he failed to do. Just like he does with some of these other bums he’s starting
As I think about it more, this could be a situation where the players say the same thing most fans are saying: “Good riddance, it’s about time.” I hope so.

A lot of Vikings fans want them to lose out in order to improve draft position and ensure the firing of Mike Zimmer. I don’t share that sentiment. I never want the Vikings to lose. I’d rather see the Vikings make the playoffs and then fire Zimmer. Call me crazy, but I like watching my team play. If the Breeland situation actually helps the team, then great. But if it means the Vikings become Jacksonville 2.0 as far as free agents are concerned, then I see it as a bad thing.

Here’s hoping Cameron Dantzler stops playing scared.
Oh I’ve always felt the same way Kapp. We could be 0-15 and I’d be rooting for them to win. Teams don’t tank regardless. Fans want teams to tank but they don’t actually do it. The lions would’ve gotten blown out today if they wanted to tank and wanted the #1 pick. Instead, they win and play their way out of the #1 pick.

I want the Vikings to win every time they step on the field. Period
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:39 pm Dantzlers PFF grade is a 69.1 compared to Breelands 47.2. Dantzler actually has the best pff grade of any CB on our team including Peterson. I think he’s been significantly better than Breeland. Breeland got a little better after the early struggles but went back to struggling these last two games. Some fans like to fault dantzler for the Detroit win and seem to forget about his crunch time pick. Regardless, it was Mike Zimmers play call that had his corners playing 15 yards off Detroit WRs and sent 0 pressure at Jared Goff of all people. If you look at Breeland in the other side of that play, he was just as far off as Dantzler was. Outside of that bad “play” (call) by dantzler, I honestly can’t say I remember a single time where he got flat out burned. That’s been a regular thing for Breeland.
You know, my perspective on the play where the Lions scored to win has changed after I watched it a few times because the more I look at it, the more it looks like Woods was the player who blew it, or at the very least, it's unclear who had the short responsibility on that side of the field as both Dantzler and Woods were there. Given that the receiver could have run a deep fade to the corner of the endzone, it seems more likely that Dantzler's primary responsibility on that play would have been to take away the deep corner while Woods was the guy responsible for cutting off the shorter route. At least, that makes more sense to me, so it seems like Woods was probably the guy who blew it more than Dantzler.

Also, I was not a fan (at all) of Zimmer's approach on that entire drive rushing just 3 and sitting back like that. Way too passive, and as a result I think all of the DBs were put in a bad position. More pressure means less time for Goff to find a receiver and make a throw, which allows the DBs to be more aggressive.

So I'll fall back a bit on my criticism of Dantzler in that particular situation, and I look forward to seeing what he can do now going forward when they're going to need him to play well.

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:39 pm Breeland is a lazy thug and that’s been showing more and more. I’m glad he’s gone because I think we’re much better off with dantzler anyways. Unless Mediocre Mike decides to play his little games with him and Kris Boyd now.
They're going to need Boyd to play well too, which I thought he did against the Steelers minus the taunting penalty.
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:39 pm Regardless, it just makes zimmer look like even more of a buffoon sticking with a lazy thug over a 2nd year corner with a ton of promise. Again, if Breeland was playing even decent, there could be some argument there but I’d be content. The fact that Breeland was horrendous all year and he continued to stick with him just goes to show what I’ve been talking about for years with Zim. Not recognizing superior talent whether it’s in practice or games. Hardly ever adjusting his starting lineup unless it’s due to injury. Sticking with the same old bums that should be backups. Hill, Samia, Udoh, Bisi, Breeland and the list goes on. Being completely oblivious to who your GM drafted for you to fill those spots. Spielman supplies and Zimmer overlooks. He adjusts his roster just like he coaches. Risk-adverse
Not to excuse Breeland's play (at all), but I'm sure the fact Breeland was brought in as a free agent and vet likely played into some of the decisions we saw as to who played and who sat. I still trust that the head coach gets that his job depends on getting his best players on the field, so in my view it's possible that he saw Breeland as his best option at starting CB (which is a scary thought).

Now that Breeland is gone we're all going to find out.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:01 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:13 am
As I think about it more, this could be a situation where the players say the same thing most fans are saying: “Good riddance, it’s about time.” I hope so.

A lot of Vikings fans want them to lose out in order to improve draft position and ensure the firing of Mike Zimmer. I don’t share that sentiment. I never want the Vikings to lose. I’d rather see the Vikings make the playoffs and then fire Zimmer. Call me crazy, but I like watching my team play. If the Breeland situation actually helps the team, then great. But if it means the Vikings become Jacksonville 2.0 as far as free agents are concerned, then I see it as a bad thing.

Here’s hoping Cameron Dantzler stops playing scared.
Oh I’ve always felt the same way Kapp. We could be 0-15 and I’d be rooting for them to win. Teams don’t tank regardless. Fans want teams to tank but they don’t actually do it. The lions would’ve gotten blown out today if they wanted to tank and wanted the #1 pick. Instead, they win and play their way out of the #1 pick.

If we are sitting at 0-15 you would take a win over getting the chance of a HOF type QB, who would go one overall, that one mean nothing win would be worth more than great QB play for 15+ years? I'll take the great QB play. I've witnessed the mediocre seasons and crap at QB and no chance of drafting a HOF type QB. That gets old also after a few decades. The suck for Luck is much better than being 8-8 any day in my book. Last year when we started 1-5 many here where hoping for the number one pick and Trevor. Last year was 7-9 and no Trevor. Was that 7-9 and no Trevor worth it? To some I guess it was. For me I'm getting nearer to the end so it wasn't. I'd rather have Trevor riding the pine and learning his trade right now. Those 6 additional wins gained us nothing. Even took us out of a chance for the best LT.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Guess we found out why a starting CB in his prime was available for 3 million. I thought he should have been cut after his vulgar tweets aimed at fans on top of his bad play, and am glad he is gone now.

Liked the signing at the time, but it ended up being a big mistake.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

CharVike wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:57 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:01 pm

If we are sitting at 0-15 you would take a win over getting the chance of a HOF type QB, who would go one overall, that one mean nothing win would be worth more than great QB play for 15+ years? I'll take the great QB play. I've witnessed the mediocre seasons and crap at QB and no chance of drafting a HOF type QB. That gets old also after a few decades. The suck for Luck is much better than being 8-8 any day in my book. Last year when we started 1-5 many here where hoping for the number one pick and Trevor. Last year was 7-9 and no Trevor. Was that 7-9 and no Trevor worth it? To some I guess it was. For me I'm getting nearer to the end so it wasn't. I'd rather have Trevor riding the pine and learning his trade right now. Those 6 additional wins gained us nothing. Even took us out of a chance for the best LT.
If chickens had lips, they wouldn't need to peck for food.

Point being, we're not 0-15. We aren't going to pick first unless we trade up and mortgage the entire future. So until we're in that situation, I'll always err on the side of winning.

And by the way, fewer on this board are "nearer to the end" than I am, and I still want the Vikings to win every game they play. Wanna know why? Because in the end, going 1-16 doesn't pave the way to championships. Going 1-16 means you have a culture of losing, and one player isn't going to overcome that. If you don't believe me, check out Detroit and Jacksonville, or even Cleveland. The only exception to that rule is the Dallas Cowboys in the late 80s, and we all know what paved the way for that turnaround (Vikings and Walker, Herschel). As I recall, Suck for Luck didn't actually work. The Colts never won a championship with him, and he ended up retiring early because of the beating he took in getting them to respectability.

Why do I want them to make the playoffs in a year when it's a huge longshot for them to make the Super Bowl? Because I like watching my team play, and the offseason is long. It's that simple. There is no team in any sport at any level that I root for as hard as I root for the Minnesota Vikings. Rip me if you want. I don't care. I will not root for them to lose.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
4mnvikes1982
Practice Squad

Post by 4mnvikes1982 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:06 pm

Point being, we're not 0-15. We aren't going to pick first unless we trade up and mortgage the entire future. So until we're in that situation, I'll always err on the side of winning.

And by the way, fewer on this board are "nearer to the end" than I am, and I still want the Vikings to win every game they play. Wanna know why? Because in the end, going 1-16 doesn't pave the way to championships. Going 1-16 means you have a culture of losing, and one player isn't going to overcome that. If you don't believe me, check out Detroit and Jacksonville, or even Cleveland. The only exception to that rule is the Dallas Cowboys in the late 80s, and we all know what paved the way for that turnaround (Vikings and Walker, Herschel). As I recall, Suck for Luck didn't actually work. The Colts never won a championship with him, and he ended up retiring early because of the beating he took in getting them to respectability.

Why do I want them to make the playoffs in a year when it's a huge longshot for them to make the Super Bowl? Because I like watching my team play, and the offseason is long. It's that simple. There is no team in any sport at any level that I root for as hard as I root for the Minnesota Vikings. Rip me if you want. I don't care. I will not root for them to lose.
Agree 100%
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

I am trying to think of any team since Indy who got the #1 overall pick and won a SB in large part because of it.

It would be interesting to look at how many teams got the #1 pick was drafting in the top 3 again a couple of seasons later and how many were in the playoffs.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:15 pm

I am trying to think of any team since Indy who got the #1 overall pick and won a SB in large part because of it.

It would be interesting to look at how many teams got the #1 pick was drafting in the top 3 again a couple of seasons later and how many were in the playoffs.
That was 23 years ago, and he threw 35 interceptions his first two seasons. Manning didn't have a passer rating of 100 until his 7th year and couldn't get past Tom Brady until his 9th.

Truthfully, Andrew Luck was better for the Colts early in his career than Manning, and it really wasn't close.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:39 pm
VikingLord wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:21 pm

Not sure Dantzler has been all that much better overall, but Breeland seemed to be playing a little more consistently lately.
Dantzlers PFF grade is a 69.1 compared to Breelands 47.2. Dantzler actually has the best pff grade of any CB on our team including Peterson. I think he’s been significantly better than Breeland. Breeland got a little better after the early struggles but went back to struggling these last two games. Some fans like to fault dantzler for the Detroit win and seem to forget about his crunch time pick. Regardless, it was Mike Zimmers play call that had his corners playing 15 yards off Detroit WRs and sent 0 pressure at Jared Goff of all people. If you look at Breeland in the other side of that play, he was just as far off as Dantzler was. Outside of that bad “play” (call) by dantzler, I honestly can’t say I remember a single time where he got flat out burned. That’s been a regular thing for Breeland.

Zimmer has been playing this stupid little game with dantzler all year and to this day I don’t understand why. He was the best corner on our roster last year and looked very promising heading into year two and Zim sat him over Breeland and even at times boyd. Yet every time dantzler has been playing, he’s been quite reliable. More reliable than Breeland that’s for sure. Breeland has given up the 2nd most yards of any CB in the Nfl this year.

Breeland is a lazy thug and that’s been showing more and more. I’m glad he’s gone because I think we’re much better off with dantzler anyways. Unless Mediocre Mike decides to play his little games with him and Kris Boyd now.

Regardless, it just makes zimmer look like even more of a buffoon sticking with a lazy thug over a 2nd year corner with a ton of promise. Again, if Breeland was playing even decent, there could be some argument there but I’d be content. The fact that Breeland was horrendous all year and he continued to stick with him just goes to show what I’ve been talking about for years with Zim. Not recognizing superior talent whether it’s in practice or games. Hardly ever adjusting his starting lineup unless it’s due to injury. Sticking with the same old bums that should be backups. Hill, Samia, Udoh, Bisi, Breeland and the list goes on. Being completely oblivious to who your GM drafted for you to fill those spots. Spielman supplies and Zimmer overlooks. He adjusts his roster just like he coaches. Risk-adverse
Thug?