Wilfs take early steps in what become new coach gm searches

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Wilfs take early steps in what become new coach gm searches

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:36 pm
CharVike wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:01 am
You wanted Mac Jones because you DIDN'T want Kirk Cousins...... That's dead wrong..
Dude, you literally posted you wanted to trade 3 1sts AND Kirk for the chance to draft Jones.

YOU didn't want Kirk.
Here is what I posted.
Re: Pick 14
Post by CharVike » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:27 pm

I expect defense at 14. I would like pass rusher DE or a cover guy. But I see a trade down coming. Be nice to get a QB that has some talent (Tasker). OL guy might come in handy also. They can pick BPA and it will fill a need. I wanted to do what the 49ers did.

All of this don't matter anymore. Going forward is the key. That starts with a new GM.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:10 am
StumpHunter wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:36 pm
Dude, you literally posted you wanted to trade 3 1sts AND Kirk for the chance to draft Jones.

YOU didn't want Kirk.
Here is what I posted.

I expect defense at 14. I would like pass rusher DE or a cover guy. But I see a trade down coming. Be nice to get a QB that has some talent (Tasker). OL guy might come in handy also. They can pick BPA and it will fill a need. I wanted to do what the 49ers did.

All of this don't matter anymore. Going forward is the key. That starts with a new GM.
Great. This is you before the draft, is it not?
CharVike wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:31 am I'm not sure what's on the Jets radar but their GM needs to make a move because he's in trouble. They have a ton of CAP and the 2nd pick. This guy already missed on a potential franchise QB at least in the fans minds and they provide the revenue. Sam D has been a total failure for them and it's highly unlikely he will succeed in that town. If I had our team I would look at getting that 2nd pick. We have two guys Cousins and Barr that they have already tried to sign. Some say they did. I would start with offering those 2 and 3 1st round picks for Sam and the No 2 pick. This will give that GM 2 instant starters that can play at a decent level in the NFL and some draft capital that he can use this year for Trask as a dev guy. Then we can go in with Sam and Jones plus have a ton of CAP. Let those two fight it out. Winner gets the job which will be Jones and Sam provides backup. Then they can do a full bore Zim job and bang the ball and take time off the clock and play D. Plus now we have Jones and he has the potential to be the franchise guy on the cheap. With a ball control O and some dam good skill players he won't have to carry the load at first. That's what I would like to see happen. Provide a much different slant and a brighter future if it works. Much brighter like always in the playoffs.
Tells us again how wanted to keep Cousins while trading him away for Jones?
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

Kellen Moore for HC please.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I would take Harbaugh from Michigan or Byron Leftwich.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Moore, Leftwich or Harbaugh would be fine by me. Harbaugh in particular was fired way too early in SF for the amount of success he was able to have with that team. 8-8 and fired one year removed from the NFCCG because he didn't get along with a GM who it turns out wasn't a very good GM and who was getting propped up by the HC.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:01 pm
CharVike wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:10 am
Here is what I posted.

CharVike wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:31 am I'm not sure what's on the Jets radar but their GM needs to make a move because he's in trouble. They have a ton of CAP and the 2nd pick. This guy already missed on a potential franchise QB at least in the fans minds and they provide the revenue. Sam D has been a total failure for them and it's highly unlikely he will succeed in that town. If I had our team I would look at getting that 2nd pick. We have two guys Cousins and Barr that they have already tried to sign. Some say they did. I would start with offering those 2 and 3 1st round picks for Sam and the No 2 pick. This will give that GM 2 instant starters that can play at a decent level in the NFL and some draft capital that he can use this year for Trask as a dev guy. Then we can go in with Sam and Jones plus have a ton of CAP. Let those two fight it out. Winner gets the job which will be Jones and Sam provides backup. Then they can do a full bore Zim job and bang the ball and take time off the clock and play D. Plus now we have Jones and he has the potential to be the franchise guy on the cheap. With a ball control O and some dam good skill players he won't have to carry the load at first. That's what I would like to see happen. Provide a much different slant and a brighter future if it works. Much brighter like always in the playoffs.
Your correct I was wrong. Making that trade I posted would have made our season at least have some interest. There's nothing left and hate to say it but next year don't look much better. We will be back on the QB merry go round in 2023 which I have lived basically since I started following this team. Meanwhile that Packer squad has had back to back HOFer which basically is almost a lifetime of watching great QB play for those fans. It's not even close to being over yet for that team. We had 2 years of Farve and one year was a great season for us. We played one of the greatest champ games in history. Imagine 15-20 years of that? What really gets me is we have nothing on the roster and nothing in the draft this year. Get ready for decades of Webb, RC, TJack, Gannon then recycled over and over boy does that make the stomach turn.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:41 am Moore, Leftwich or Harbaugh would be fine by me. Harbaugh in particular was fired way too early in SF for the amount of success he was able to have with that team. 8-8 and fired one year removed from the NFCCG because he didn't get along with a GM who it turns out wasn't a very good GM and who was getting propped up by the HC.
Harbaugh sounds like the best to me.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:20 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:01 pm

Your correct I was wrong. Making that trade I posted would have made our season at least have some interest. There's nothing left and hate to say it but next year don't look much better. We will be back on the QB merry go round in 2023 which I have lived basically since I started following this team. Meanwhile that Packer squad has had back to back HOFer which basically is almost a lifetime of watching great QB play for those fans. It's not even close to being over yet for that team. We had 2 years of Farve and one year was a great season for us. We played one of the greatest champ games in history. Imagine 15-20 years of that? What really gets me is we have nothing on the roster and nothing in the draft this year. Get ready for decades of Webb, RC, TJack, Gannon then recycled over and over boy does that make the stomach turn.
I don't hate moving up and getting the QB you want and you are right that it would have made the season much more interesting. Just like if the Vikings had succeeded in moving up and drafting Fields would have.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

CharVike wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:20 pm What really gets me is we have nothing on the roster and nothing in the draft this year. Get ready for decades of Webb, RC, TJack, Gannon then recycled over and over boy does that make the stomach turn.
Is that accurate?

I don't think it necessarily is. While I can understand where you're coming from because it certainly feels that way, who really knows if the Vikings' fortunes will change on the QB front sooner rather than later?

Let's face it - the teams that have had good turns at QB were, in many cases and even most cases, more lucky than good. Brady was a 6th rounder. Wilson a 3rd. Even AAron Rodgers fell in the draft when he came out, and it sure looked like the Packers didn't hit paydirt with Jordan Love in the limited action we saw from him. They didn't even draft Favre. Got him in trade from the Falcons I believe. Drew Brees was another guy cast off from the team that originally drafted him.

All I'm saying is, the situation at QB can turn on a dime and in an unexpected way. Mond, for example, could develop a lot over this season and offseason and suddenly come on strong. Or something else might happen that changes the narrative quickly. Who knows? The Vikings might actually get lucky at the position either in trade or via the draft. I don't have much hope to see Cousins play consistently great, but if they can make the playoffs we just need him to play great for 4 games in a row ala what Nick Foles did for Philly. Possible? Heck yeah. Likely? No, but definitely possible.

I know it sometimes seems bleak and I'm right with you there in terms of frustration, but this year's Vikings aren't that bad. If they can just button things up and play with more consistency on both sides of the ball, this team can clearly play with any team in the league. They just need to get hot now. Turn it on, win out, and go on a tear in the playoffs. We're more than due for that turn as fans. Well more than due.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:06 pm
CharVike wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:20 pm What really gets me is we have nothing on the roster and nothing in the draft this year. Get ready for decades of Webb, RC, TJack, Gannon then recycled over and over boy does that make the stomach turn.
Is that accurate?

I don't think it necessarily is. While I can understand where you're coming from because it certainly feels that way, who really knows if the Vikings' fortunes will change on the QB front sooner rather than later?

Let's face it - the teams that have had good turns at QB were, in many cases and even most cases, more lucky than good. Brady was a 6th rounder. Wilson a 3rd. Even AAron Rodgers fell in the draft when he came out, and it sure looked like the Packers didn't hit paydirt with Jordan Love in the limited action we saw from him. They didn't even draft Favre. Got him in trade from the Falcons I believe. Drew Brees was another guy cast off from the team that originally drafted him.

All I'm saying is, the situation at QB can turn on a dime and in an unexpected way. Mond, for example, could develop a lot over this season and offseason and suddenly come on strong. Or something else might happen that changes the narrative quickly. Who knows? The Vikings might actually get lucky at the position either in trade or via the draft. I don't have much hope to see Cousins play consistently great, but if they can make the playoffs we just need him to play great for 4 games in a row ala what Nick Foles did for Philly. Possible? Heck yeah. Likely? No, but definitely possible.

I know it sometimes seems bleak and I'm right with you there in terms of frustration, but this year's Vikings aren't that bad. If they can just button things up and play with more consistency on both sides of the ball, this team can clearly play with any team in the league. They just need to get hot now. Turn it on, win out, and go on a tear in the playoffs. We're more than due for that turn as fans. Well more than due.
I realize QBs can come from anywhere and sometimes out of nowhere. We actually drafted 2 Super Bowl QBs in Gannon and Johnson. Unfortunately it wasn't with us. I don't mind Cousins. IMO he's the best since Fran. I give him credit with the fact that our OL has been horrible basically since he's been here. That battle needs to be won first. Right now our OL stills blows and I posted before I hated getting the lighter athletic guys. I want the monsters and keep it simple. That's another story. I fully agree a team can get hot and that's what it takes. But the year the Eagles beat us they won the div and had HFA. They had a good team and Foles got hot at the end. We have flushed any chance of a Super Bowl down the toilet. That happened right from the start. We needed 14 wins so every game needed to be treated as a must win. Every team has off games and yes we have been in close games but that's basically almost every team. We will never win out because we won't sweep the Bears. I see us at 8-9 or 9-8. At best we will be a wild card. Then it's off on the road. We don't have a team for that particularly our defense. We will play run the clock out Zim ball to protect the D instead of trying to roll up as many points as possible. That all comes back to coaching which I don't think we have a good enough staff. We won't out coach any team. It will be the opposite. In the NFC Brady and Rodgers need to be beat out and that order is too tall for us.
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:06 pm I know it sometimes seems bleak and I'm right with you there in terms of frustration, but this year's Vikings aren't that bad. If they can just button things up and play with more consistency on both sides of the ball, this team can clearly play with any team in the league. They just need to get hot now. Turn it on, win out, and go on a tear in the playoffs. We're more than due for that turn as fans. Well more than due.
While I admire your guarded optimism, IMO your line of thinking (going on a run) requires an organization that does not shoot itself in the foot, week in and week out.

If a team is shooting itself pretty much weekly, after 12-13 weeks there is about zero chance of “correcting it and going on a run”. It would require so many variables to change for the better - over several weeks in a row no less - that I’d say it’s close to statistically impossible.

Possible? Sure. Possibility is almost always above zero.

Plausible in any realistic way? Not a chance in Hades.

Even ignoring all the “football” variables tied up in the above, what’s happening to the Browns right now makes me believe COVID still has something to say about this season in general, and our season in particular.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

CharVike wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:39 am
VikingLord wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:06 pm

Is that accurate?

I realize QBs can come from anywhere and sometimes out of nowhere. We actually drafted 2 Super Bowl QBs in Gannon and Johnson. Unfortunately it wasn't with us. I don't mind Cousins. IMO he's the best since Fran. I give him credit with the fact that our OL has been horrible basically since he's been here. That battle needs to be won first. Right now our OL stills blows and I posted before I hated getting the lighter athletic guys. I want the monsters and keep it simple. That's another story. I fully agree a team can get hot and that's what it takes. But the year the Eagles beat us they won the div and had HFA. They had a good team and Foles got hot at the end. We have flushed any chance of a Super Bowl down the toilet. That happened right from the start. We needed 14 wins so every game needed to be treated as a must win. Every team has off games and yes we have been in close games but that's basically almost every team. We will never win out because we won't sweep the Bears. I see us at 8-9 or 9-8. At best we will be a wild card. Then it's off on the road. We don't have a team for that particularly our defense. We will play run the clock out Zim ball to protect the D instead of trying to roll up as many points as possible. That all comes back to coaching which I don't think we have a good enough staff. We won't out coach any team. It will be the opposite. In the NFC Brady and Rodgers need to be beat out and that order is too tall for us.
If the Vikings go on a win streak to close out the season and win at the Packers and at home against the playoff-bound Rams who just beat the Cardinals, I bet your perspective on their chances will change.

Not to say that is going to happen, but if it were to happen, and heck, if those wins were to be by comfortable margins, everyone on this board will be singing a more optimistic tune at that point.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

psjordan wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:47 pm
VikingLord wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:06 pm I know it sometimes seems bleak and I'm right with you there in terms of frustration, but this year's Vikings aren't that bad. If they can just button things up and play with more consistency on both sides of the ball, this team can clearly play with any team in the league. They just need to get hot now. Turn it on, win out, and go on a tear in the playoffs. We're more than due for that turn as fans. Well more than due.
While I admire your guarded optimism, IMO your line of thinking (going on a run) requires an organization that does not shoot itself in the foot, week in and week out.

If a team is shooting itself pretty much weekly, after 12-13 weeks there is about zero chance of “correcting it and going on a run”. It would require so many variables to change for the better - over several weeks in a row no less - that I’d say it’s close to statistically impossible.

Possible? Sure. Possibility is almost always above zero.

Plausible in any realistic way? Not a chance in Hades.

Even ignoring all the “football” variables tied up in the above, what’s happening to the Browns right now makes me believe COVID still has something to say about this season in general, and our season in particular.
I agree with you. It's not realistic.

In the same vein, some of the losses the Vikings have taken this year have been implausible as well, as have many of the bad breaks they've suffered over their history.

At some point, that ill fortune has to even out, doesn't it? At some point, the implausible bad stuff has to turn on it's head and we get some implausible good stuff, right? Law of Averages and whatnot.

Right now, nothing says the Vikings can't get hot even if the chances of that happening are relatively remote.

Let's see what these next four games look like.
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:56 pm Right now, nothing says the Vikings can't get hot even if the chances of that happening are relatively remote.

Let's see what these next four games look like.
Yeah and I know some of this is just conversation to pass the time until Monday, but I think the bare minimum requirement for “possibility of a run” is a team that has been falling short due to things mostly out of their control (injuries, inexplicably tipped balls, bad bounces, blatant bad ref calls, etc.). And then a wicked rebound from those injuries let’s say.

When a team falls short over four months largely due to its own mistakes however (some due to lack of ability, some due to lack of discipline, some due to lack of experience), then the chances of mitigating those things for say 6 or 7 of the next 8 games are for all intents zero.

In our favor? The NFC is a bit of a mess after the division leaders, yes? That’s about it.

In the "tough on paper" category we have the Rams and Packers still to go, and beating the Pack once actually decreases the possibility we can beat them again.

I won’t predict any games at this point - who can with this team? - but let’s say us winning 2 of 4 gets us a wildcard. We can beat the dreadful Bears twice, right? (where have I heard “we can beat the dreadful Bears to make the playoffs, right?” before?).

Anyways, just to MAKE it to the SB, we’d need the RUN OF ALL RUNS SINCE PHEIDIPPIDES ANNOUNCED THE DEFEAT OF THE PERSIANS :rock:

However I love the fact you are entertaining the possibility of us getting that far and then beating TB/GB/AZ/DAL/LA to win the NFC.

Hey I never, EVER thought my Red Sox would come back from down 0-3 to defeat the NYY 4-3 and then go on to win the WS, so you are correct, anything can happen in sport.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

psjordan wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:48 pm Anyways, just to MAKE it to the SB, we’d need the RUN OF ALL RUNS SINCE PHEIDIPPIDES ANNOUNCED THE DEFEAT OF THE PERSIANS :rock:
:smilevike: :rock: :thumbsup: :v): :smilevike:

Now you're talkin'!

Yes, it WOULD be EPIC, and yes, that sort of stuff is the stuff of legends and dreams and would honestly fully compensate all of us for our lifetime of futility so far watching this team.

It's like winning the lottery. Should I expect to win the lottery? No. But if I did...

:D
psjordan wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:48 pm Hey I never, EVER thought my Red Sox would come back from down 0-3 to defeat the NYY 4-3 and then go on to win the WS, so you are correct, anything can happen in sport.
It CAN happen. If it couldn't I honestly wouldn't watch.

But I just watched an injured Dalvin Cook basically put the team on his back in this last game and almost surpass his personal all-time single game rushing record. If that kind of dedication and determination can just infect the rest of the team, we might just have the makings of a special finish to this otherwise incredibly frustrating season.