Wilfs take early steps in what become new coach gm searches

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Wilfs take early steps in what become new coach gm searches

Post by IIsweet »

psjordan wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:29 am
RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:00 am

Then you can leave, we will not miss you here
Yes, we would.
Absolutely we would. Why RandyMoss84 would even say that is definitely not a shared opinion. Who cares if you believe it or not? Why would you even question what someone else writes and attempt to make an issue? Why would you feel that you have to be convinced? Why would you feel that is appropriate to call someone out, because you are not convinced? :nono: smh

Honestly, I was looking forward to reading what TexasVike was going to say next. I would love to have some insight.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:34 am A change is needed at the top to generate some hope and excitement from this fanbase and hopefully the Wilfs see that and move on from a guy who has failed for 10 years to put a team on the field capable of winning the SB.
You are 100% correct. He was given the chance and has done some good things like getting to the champ game but what we have now as an overall roster isn't very good. That's his fault.
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:34 am A change is needed at the top to generate some hope and excitement from this fanbase and hopefully the Wilfs see that and move on from a guy who has failed for 10 years to put a team on the field capable of winning the SB.
By “the top” I’m not sure what you are referring to, unless it’s Mark Wilf.
https://theorg.com/org/minnesota-vikings/org-chart

Mark Wilf has 17 direct reports, who have among them 57 reports.

One of the 17 direct reports to Mark Wilf is Mike Zimmer. Another one is Rick Spielman.

Zimmer has a total of 21 people “under” him that he is responsible for. Spielman has 14.

Firing Zimmer and/or Spielman would have to be sanctioned by Mark Wilf. Firing them both exposes 37 people to getting cut.

I am all for a clean sweep at this point. However quite a few decisions need to be made beforehand, besides the obvious due diligence on candidates.

Would Wilf keep the current structure, and if so, would any new HC or GM of any substance go for it? If so, who gets hired first?
Would he want the new HC to picked by and report to the new GM?
Would the new GM still report directly to Mark Wilf, or would he want a true “Operations” person to run “the football side”?
Zim makes $5M per year, not sure what Rick makes but I’d guess a few mil. What’s the price for “top notch” replacements? A total of $15M per year? Does Wilf want to pay that “on a gamble” that the new regime would be any good?
Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Angels Wings »

The QB and secondary also need to be gone as well.

This team is on the circle of suck on the road to nowhere :hitfan:
For those with wings, fly to your dreams
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Texas Vike wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:41 am

Time out, for the well-being of this community / board. This is reprehensible. I've been posting on this board for about a decade. There used to be a sense of brotherhood here and the level of discourse was high compared to other boards. This kind of rude disrespect is what has caused a deterioration of the fraternal spirit that used to exist here. Whether RandyMoss84 believes me or not ultimately matters nothing to me, but it certainly serves as a reminder that I'm wasting my time here.
Speak for yourself.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Time out, for the well-being of this community / board. This is reprehensible. I've been posting on this board for about a decade. There used to be a sense of brotherhood here and the level of discourse was high compared to other boards. This kind of rude disrespect is what has caused a deterioration of the fraternal spirit that used to exist here. Whether RandyMoss84 believes me or not ultimately matters nothing to me, but it certainly serves as a reminder that I'm wasting my time here.
Speak for yourself. On second thought, don’t.

Don’t leave, Texas Vike. You’ve got friends here. I enjoy the heck out of your takes.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

psjordan wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:05 am
By “the top” I’m not sure what you are referring to, unless it’s Mark Wilf.
https://theorg.com/org/minnesota-vikings/org-chart

Mark Wilf has 17 direct reports, who have among them 57 reports.

One of the 17 direct reports to Mark Wilf is Mike Zimmer. Another one is Rick Spielman.

Zimmer has a total of 21 people “under” him that he is responsible for. Spielman has 14.

Firing Zimmer and/or Spielman would have to be sanctioned by Mark Wilf. Firing them both exposes 37 people to getting cut.

I am all for a clean sweep at this point. However quite a few decisions need to be made beforehand, besides the obvious due diligence on candidates.

Would Wilf keep the current structure, and if so, would any new HC or GM of any substance go for it? If so, who gets hired first?
Would he want the new HC to picked by and report to the new GM?
Would the new GM still report directly to Mark Wilf, or would he want a true “Operations” person to run “the football side”?
Zim makes $5M per year, not sure what Rick makes but I’d guess a few mil. What’s the price for “top notch” replacements? A total of $15M per year? Does Wilf want to pay that “on a gamble” that the new regime would be any good?
Everyone under Jonathan Wilf and Lester Bagley can stay as-is. Whatever decisions they make doesn't affect anything that happens on the field as far as I can tell.

Zimmer and Spielman should go. Whether everyone under them stays or goes, I can't say, but start there and work forward.

Hire the GM, then let the GM find his head coach. Talk to people around the league. See if there is anyone who can right the Viking longship we're all watching slowly capsize.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Texas Vike-Please leave since you said you are wasting your time here
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:25 pm

Speak for yourself. On second thought, don’t.

Don’t leave, Texas Vike. You’ve got friends here. I enjoy the heck out of your takes.
Thanks. I appreciate it. After posting this morning I realized that the current annoying and disrespectful poster is the same one that was being annoying and disrespectful to me a few months back, which created the illusion that the situation was more dire than it really is. I'll stick around and use the proper tools to filter out the parts that aren't worth my time.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:23 pm Texas Vike-Please leave since you said you are wasting your time here
You just can't read a room, can you?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
cogitator
Veteran

Post by cogitator »

What's this "we" business? Speak for your self.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

cogitator wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:10 am

What's this "we" business? Speak for your self.
Yeah, don't lump me in the "WE" category either. I enjoy the heck outta Texas Vike's post and insights. He is one of the many excellent people here.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

From Jeremy Fowler of ESPN:

End of the road for Mike Zimmer in Minnesota?

Three double-digit-win seasons have kept Zimmer in Minnesota for eight years, but the shine is starting to wear off. People close to the organization are wondering if sweeping changes will happen this offseason.

Nothing is imminent. Minnesota wouldn't have made a change this week, anyway, with the team playing the Steelers on Thursday night. And the 5-7 Vikings are still in the NFC wild-card hunt. Zimmer, to his credit, has encouraged Kirk Cousins and the Vikings to go vertical more often this season, eschewing his conservative ways. But whispers persist that his hard-charging style has affected the locker room. That style works when you win. The defense, long Zimmer's signature, has fallen to 26th overall in yards per play allowed ("5.8"). And the loss to the winless Lions might punctuate the spiral.

General manager Rick Spielman's case is complicated by his tenure. He has overseen personnel for Minnesota owner Zygi Wilf since 2006, and the roster isn't considered bad -- though the secondary has fallen flat. One idea floated from a league official: Spielman moves into a cushy senior role, handing over personnel to a new GM. Wilf could respect him enough to keep him around. -- Fowler
https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/ ... guars-jobs
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

I like the idea of Rick moving into an advisory Senior role. He has roots here, has done a decent job, but he needs to be in an advisory role to help a new GM only, and that is when called upon.
PurpleTeam
Waterboy

Post by PurpleTeam »

IIsweet wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:41 am I like the idea of Rick moving into an advisory Senior role. He has roots here, has done a decent job, but he needs to be in an advisory role to help a new GM only, and that is when called upon.
Not me, Rick has been with the team for 15 years and that is long enough, he needs to go