Mr. Clutch Minute Man Kirk Cousins

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Mr. Clutch Minute Man Kirk Cousins

Post by CharVike »

Los Angeles Rams
Matthew Stafford is slumping. After beating up on the Seahawks (Russell Wilson injured-finger game), Giants, Lions and Texans over their four-game winning streak, the Rams are slumping hard and are losers in two straight. Stafford's struggles in the passing game have been the main reason why as he's thrown four interceptions over that stretch.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've seen this act many times over the years. Stafford looked like he was reborn and now it looks like he is headed down into the dumps. Mr turnover. Now the Rams are in a hoping, wishing and praying mode. They get the Packers next so it don't look good. But then the Jags and at that point he will look like an all time great again. See how that works.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kevin Stephanski
Looks like the OC turned HC is struggling to get his team on a streak. Only 7 points last week. That's an embarrassment. But 41 the previous week and then 10 before that. That's an up and down coaching job. Something is wrong. Either his scheme sucks or his QB sucks or a combo of that. He is at 5-5. Lions are up next so that should fix things. Lions won't score. Kevin will get 30+. Who cares. He's not much better than our guy Kubesteak. That's about as big of an up and down deal as you can get. Basically all or nothing. If the Browns miss the playoffs that will put Kevin on thin ice. Mayfield didn't even average 4 yards an attempt on 21 throws and threw a pick. That's a dump off scheme if there ever was one. Kevin better toss that in the garbage bin.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Dak had another clunker. 5 yards an attempt and 2 picks and 0 TDs. 2 out of the last 3 haven't been too good. Today his OL didn't show up and he was sacked 5 times. That made it tough. Pressure gets all of them.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Cousins with 2 more game winning drives. This time against Rodgers and the 8-2 Pukers. Lesser QBs would have crumbled after getting the first game winning drive only to have the D give up a 75 yard TD pass on the very next play. This time the Vikings did what good teams are supposed to do. Move into easy FG range, run down the clock and kick the winner. You know like what should have happened against Arizona. Too bad Cousins missed the FG in that game. Those are the two teams with the best records in the NFC. Cousins sure sucks when he's playing the good teams. Lucky we have Stump around to assure us all that Cousins sucks.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:01 pm Dak had another clunker. 5 yards an attempt and 2 picks and 0 TDs. 2 out of the last 3 haven't been too good. Today his OL didn't show up and he was sacked 5 times. That made it tough. Pressure gets all of them.
Out of curiosity why are we talking about Dak and Stafford in the Cousins thread?
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:18 am Cousins with 2 more game winning drives. This time against Rodgers and the 8-2 Pukers. Lesser QBs would have crumbled after getting the first game winning drive only to have the D give up a 75 yard TD pass on the very next play. This time the Vikings did what good teams are supposed to do. Move into easy FG range, run down the clock and kick the winner. You know like what should have happened against Arizona. Too bad Cousins missed the FG in that game. Those are the two teams with the best records in the NFC. Cousins sure sucks when he's playing the good teams. Lucky we have Stump around to assure us all that Cousins sucks.
I wonder … do official NFL stats credit Cousins with two 4th quarter comebacks and one game-winning drive yesterday against the Packers?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:38 am
CharVike wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:01 pm Dak had another clunker. 5 yards an attempt and 2 picks and 0 TDs. 2 out of the last 3 haven't been too good. Today his OL didn't show up and he was sacked 5 times. That made it tough. Pressure gets all of them.
Out of curiosity why are we talking about Dak and Stafford in the Cousins thread?
Just showing how all QBs go through struggles. That was part of the thread also.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:13 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:18 am Cousins with 2 more game winning drives. This time against Rodgers and the 8-2 Pukers. Lesser QBs would have crumbled after getting the first game winning drive only to have the D give up a 75 yard TD pass on the very next play. This time the Vikings did what good teams are supposed to do. Move into easy FG range, run down the clock and kick the winner. You know like what should have happened against Arizona. Too bad Cousins missed the FG in that game. Those are the two teams with the best records in the NFC. Cousins sure sucks when he's playing the good teams. Lucky we have Stump around to assure us all that Cousins sucks.
I wonder … do official NFL stats credit Cousins with two 4th quarter comebacks and one game-winning drive yesterday against the Packers?
The first IMO game winning drive finished just outside of 2 minutes only to give it right back after the next play against the legendary Aaron Rodgers. How many QBs would have been able to bounce right back and win it again? I'm just so sick of Cousins detractors continuing to find some stat that says he sucks. They keep moving the goalposts. It used to be he didn't win against the good teams. So far this year he led us to the win against Arizona until he missed the FG. He just beat the new sure thing future Hall of Fame QB Herbert on the road and now didn't flinch against Rodgers. That's not good enough I guess. :wallbang:
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:25 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:38 am
Just showing how all QBs go through struggles. That was part of the thread also.
OK
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:51 am
The first IMO game winning drive finished just outside of 2 minutes only to give it right back after the next play against the legendary Aaron Rodgers. How many QBs would have been able to bounce right back and win it again? I'm just so sick of Cousins detractors continuing to find some stat that says he sucks. They keep moving the goalposts. It used to be he didn't win against the good teams. So far this year he led us to the win against Arizona until he missed the FG. He just beat the new sure thing future Hall of Fame QB Herbert on the road and now didn't flinch against Rodgers. That's not good enough I guess. :wallbang:
Totally agree with you.

I was just wondering about official stats. After a bit of research, I’ve found my answer.

Fourth quarter comeback
The team trails in the 4th quarter by 1 score (8 points or less), and the offense goes on a drive to score that either ties the game or puts them ahead.

Note that to get credit for a 4QC, YOU MUST WIN OR TIE. So for the Cincinnati, Arizona and Baltimore games, no credit was given because the Vikings lost each of those games, even though Cousins covered all the other requirements.

Game winning drive
A quarterback leads his team to a go-ahead score in the fourth quarter for the FINAL TIME.

That means a QB could get credit for a GWD but not a 4QC. An example would be where the teams are tied at the end of three quarters, score in the fourth, and never trail again. Theoretically, you could get credit for a GWD even if you win by 3 TDs.

Cousins yesterday got credit for one 4QC and one GWD. An argument could be made that he should have been credited with two 4QC. It may be that the rules don’t allow for that.

On the season, he has three 4QC and two GWD. Had the Vikings not pissed away the Cincinnati, Arizona and Baltimore games, those numbers could easily be 6 and 5.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:24 pm
Totally agree with you.

I was just wondering about official stats. After a bit of research, I’ve found my answer.

Fourth quarter comeback
The team trails in the 4th quarter by 1 score (8 points or less), and the offense goes on a drive to score that either ties the game or puts them ahead.

Note that to get credit for a 4QC, YOU MUST WIN OR TIE. So for the Cincinnati, Arizona and Baltimore games, no credit was given because the Vikings lost each of those games, even though Cousins covered all the other requirements.

Game winning drive
A quarterback leads his team to a go-ahead score in the fourth quarter for the FINAL TIME.

That means a QB could get credit for a GWD but not a 4QC. An example would be where the teams are tied at the end of three quarters, score in the fourth, and never trail again. Theoretically, you could get credit for a GWD even if you win by 3 TDs.

Cousins yesterday got credit for one 4QC and one GWD. An argument could be made that he should have been credited with two 4QC. It may be that the rules don’t allow for that.

On the season, he has three 4QC and two GWD. Had the Vikings not pissed away the Cincinnati, Arizona and Baltimore games, those numbers could easily be 6 and 5.
I've been watching NFL football since 1970 and Kirk has the best run of clutch game tying or game winning drives in all of those 51 years. Kirk in the clutch has been nothing short of exraordinamazing. It's just too bad he missed the FG against Arizona and had a phantom fumble in OT against Cinci.
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

I'm as sold on Kirk Cousins as I am on the rest of the team. I love them because they're my team... I just don't trust them to play consistently. Lucy has pulled the ball out too many times. However... I have the ability to look at the good and the bad. The final stats show Kirk Cousins was pretty dang good yesterday. The admittedly subjective eye test showed that he had some absolutely amazing throws, and some throws that should have/could have been picks. While I realize they weren't picks, if you can't admit that he had some bad throws then I don't know what to tell you. On the other hand I also think he needs to take some of those risks in the right situations.

To me our biggest liabilities seem to be...

Our defense.
Our offensive line.
Kirk Cousins/play calling goes ultra conservative. I honestly think it can be some of both.
Special Teams gaffs

It's especially bad when we get all four of these liabilities in a single game.
Our defense needs to be able to get off the field.
Our offensive line needs to get their stuff together, and not let free rushers have a bead on Kirk.
We need more of the Good Kirk we've seen (Admittedly more than a few times this year), and less of the Bad Check down, throw it 6 yards short of the first down marker on 3rd and 5 Kirk.
And I don't think as long as I live I will ever trust a Vikings kicker lining up for a chip shot to win the game...

I'm happier than heck we won the game, and I will never hope we lose, even if it means keeping Zimmer/higher draft picks.

Celebrate the victories, and move on from the defeats.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

Kirk Cousins today surpassed Aaron Rodgers with 25 career games with 300+ yards and 3+ touchdowns in his first 10 seasons.

Dan Marino, Hall of Fame Quarterback, has 26 such games in his first 10 seasons.

So Kirk needs two more huge games to make history this season. I for one hope he makes it.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:31 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:24 pm
Totally agree with you.

Fourth quarter comeback

Game winning drive

I've been watching NFL football since 1970 and Kirk has the best run of clutch game tying or game winning drives in all of those 51 years. Kirk in the clutch has been nothing short of exraordinamazing. It's just too bad he missed the FG against Arizona and had a phantom fumble in OT against Cinci.
I've been watching the same amount of time. I've said it before he's our best since Fran. However, I would never sit on the QB position which is why I wanted Jones when he fell to us. The NFL has a tremendous shortage of QBs. It's been that way forever. A HOF like Rodgers never goes through the 3 or 4 game stretch where he doesn't play well. He played at a super level yesterday but there defense was worthless. There value is through the roof. When one is there that's the pick. This year our D will do us in eventually. Rodgers had guys wide open and he won't miss. Our D can make plays I won't deny that. We also play Rodgers tough but he had almost 400 yards passing. That's not a knock because we won but it's hard winning allowing that type of production. You need to play mistake free and that's almost impossible. I thought that missed extra point was going to do us in.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Rhodes Closed wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:56 pm Kirk Cousins today surpassed Aaron Rodgers with 25 career games with 300+ yards and 3+ touchdowns in his first 10 seasons.

Dan Marino, Hall of Fame Quarterback, has 26 such games in his first 10 seasons.

So Kirk needs two more huge games to make history this season. I for one hope he makes it.
Awesome Stats. Go get it Kirk. I like that.. :bowdown:
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

ANOTHER 2 Minute Drive for a TD that SHOULD be the game winner. No TOs for Detroit. Just stop them.