Dozier moved to Covid19/Reserve list + close contacts

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Dozier moved to Covid19/Reserve list + close contacts

Post by Crax »

Andrew Krammer
@Andrew_Krammer 2m
A vaccinated Vikings player remains in the hospital this morning after testing positive and having breathing trouble, according to Mike Zimmer, who said that player is in stable condition. Vikings retesting nearly 30 players as close contacts w/ five players on COVID list.
Courtney Cronin
@CourtneyRCronin 1m
Zimmer also said that the Vikings had a player, who is vaccinated, go to the hospital last night because he was having issues with breathing. That player is guard Dakota Dozier, per source, who was moved onto the COVID-19/Reserve list. Dozier is stable but still in the hospital.
Sounds like the Vikings having all sorts of COVID issues.
S197
Fenrir

Re: Dozier moved to Covid19/Reserve list + close contacts

Post by S197 »

Being the lowest vaccinated team in the NFL, who ever could have saw this coming?
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

S197 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:52 pm Being the lowest vaccinated team in the NFL, who ever could have saw this coming?
I get what you're saying but Dozier is vaccinated. :?
i'm ready for a beer.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

vikeinmontana wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:02 pm
S197 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:52 pm Being the lowest vaccinated team in the NFL, who ever could have saw this coming?
And it's a good thing he is, may have saved his life.

We'll see how many of these 30 actually test positive but if it's a significant amount, we could be looking at a forfeit or guys missing multiple games. This is the one area I feel bad for Zimmer, he really did everything he could to try and get this team to get vaccinated. It's hard when the "leaders" in the locker room won't get it. Diametrically opposed to guys like Tom Brady. He's vaccinated as is 100% of his team. That's not a coincidence.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

S197 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:17 pm

We'll see how many of these 30 actually test positive but if it's a significant amount, we could be looking at a forfeit or guys missing multiple games. This is the one area I feel bad for Zimmer, he really did everything he could to try and get this team to get vaccinated. It's hard when the "leaders" in the locker room won't get it. Diametrically opposed to guys like Tom Brady. He's vaccinated as is 100% of his team. That's not a coincidence.
What hasn't happened yet are severe consequences for the failure to vaccinate, at least among pro players. So far COVID has not killed any of them, and I think as long as that continues the argument that vaccination is a personal choice for pro football players will continue to hold water. It's a risk-assessment for most of them where I think the individual players feel the risk of the vaccine outweighs the risk of serious consequences from getting sick. Add on the paltry penalties assessed to the Packers and Rodgers for their failure to follow protocols and its not hard to see why that attitude will continue.

But if a few players get sick and die from this thing, that calculus changes in a hurry, not least of all from a liability perspective. I could see relatives of dead players suing not just the league and teams, but unvaccinated teammates as well for exposing their loved ones to COVID, especially if that exposure were reckless as was the case for the Packers and Rodgers. This is not dissimilar to getting hit by a drunk driver. Not only can the driver be sued, but so can the bar that sold him the booze. That liability equation doesn't change if the driver who was killed was sober and wearing his seat belt at the time of the accident, either.
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

Cousins listed as "close contact":

https://apple.news/ABjJLBRcjQ9yXdDVgz4shpA
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Being 20 something and a pro athlete might have helped save his life also. Rodgers is moving around pretty good for a non vaccinated person with Covid. He should be dead or in the hospital based on all the reports.I thought everyone that wasn't vaccinated got sick bad. Maybe it's luck. The Bucs have had there share of Covid list players. It's hard to believe any report about this stuff.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

So are you allowed to have the opposing view on here or would that get me another strike for talking politics? Sure seems like you're allowed to discuss it all you want if you're pro vaccine.. like it or not mentioning Covid or the vaccine has been politicized so if we are expected to not get political maybe not bring it up? By the way Brady essentially said Aaron Rodgers should be allowed to make his own decisions about his health. What a novel concept.
Last edited by Maelstrom88 on Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:54 pm

What hasn't happened yet are severe consequences for the failure to vaccinate, at least among pro players. So far COVID has not killed any of them, and I think as long as that continues the argument that vaccination is a personal choice for pro football players will continue to hold water. It's a risk-assessment for most of them where I think the individual players feel the risk of the vaccine outweighs the risk of serious consequences from getting sick. Add on the paltry penalties assessed to the Packers and Rodgers for their failure to follow protocols and its not hard to see why that attitude will continue.

But if a few players get sick and die from this thing, that calculus changes in a hurry, not least of all from a liability perspective. I could see relatives of dead players suing not just the league and teams, but unvaccinated teammates as well for exposing their loved ones to COVID, especially if that exposure were reckless as was the case for the Packers and Rodgers. This is not dissimilar to getting hit by a drunk driver. Not only can the driver be sued, but so can the bar that sold him the booze. That liability equation doesn't change if the driver who was killed was sober and wearing his seat belt at the time of the accident, either.
Comparing it to drunk driving is completely asinine. Any lawsuit would fall apart very quickly. For starters can the person prove they contracted the virus from the unvaccinated teammate? Vaccinated people still get it and spread it. The big argument for the vaccine is that it will supposedly be less severe if you get it. That is convenient because we have no way of testing a control version of that person without it vs. with it. Everyone reacts differently. Rodgers and Joe Rogan both used Ivermectin and had great results. Why is that not a treatment that is pushed? Couldn't be $$$ and lobbyist related could it? Considering that 99.75% of people make a full recovery it will most likely be a long wait for an NFL player to die from it.
Last edited by Maelstrom88 on Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mael·strom

S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:50 pm
So are you allowed to have the opposing view on here or would that get me another strike for talking politics? Sure seems like you're allowed to discuss it all you want if you're pro vaccine.. like it or not mentioning Covid or the vaccine has been politicized so if we are expected to not get political maybe not bring it up? By the way Brady essentially said Aaron Rodgers should be allowed to make his own decisions about his health. What a novel concept.
You got a strike for mentioning two Presidents (one who hasn’t been in office for 5 years) and unsubstantiated claims of voter fraud. Twice. Nothing in your post was about a discussion on vaccines or covid and it’s impacts on this team or the NFL.

I don’t want to mention names but there have been a few people here who have expressed their hesitancy with getting the vaccine and none of them were warned or censored. You are entitled to your opinion, but you and I know that post of yours went far beyond the bounds of the long standing no politics rule we’ve had in place. Covid and vaccinations are part of life and the NFL, so it’s naturally going to come up. That doesn’t give you free reign to go off on any political topic you please.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

S197 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:34 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:50 pm

You got a strike for mentioning two Presidents (one who hasn’t been in office for 5 years) and unsubstantiated claims of voter fraud. Twice. Nothing in your post was about a discussion on vaccines or covid and it’s impacts on this team or the NFL.

I don’t want to mention names but there have been a few people here who have expressed their hesitancy with getting the vaccine and none of them were warned or censored. You are entitled to your opinion, but you and I know that post of yours went far beyond the bounds of the long standing no politics rule we’ve had in place. Covid and vaccinations are part of life and the NFL, so it’s naturally going to come up. That doesn’t give you free reign to go off on any political topic you please.
Would you say that inferring someone isn't a leader if they are unvaccinated is getting political?

I don't recall specifics of the conversation but I don't think I was the only one to bring up politics. It's all connected anyways. Unless you are simply going to report that a player is on the Covid list and leave it at that I don't see how it can be avoided.
mael·strom

S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:44 pm
S197 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:34 pm

Would you say that inferring someone isn't a leader if they are unvaccinated is getting political?

I don't recall specifics of the conversation but I don't think I was the only one to bring up politics. It's all connected anyways. Unless you are simply going to report that a player is on the Covid list and leave it at that I don't see how it can be avoided.
No, the NFL has set clear rules on this and being unvaccinated hurts your team a lot more. See Harrison Smith as an example, who is missing two games. Real leaders do what it takes to give their team the best shot to be on the field. That’s my opinion, but there is nothing political about that statement. It’s ultimately his choice but there are consequences for your decisions.

And yes, that thread went off the rails and was closed as a result.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

S197 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:12 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:44 pm

No, the NFL has set clear rules on this and being unvaccinated hurts your team a lot more. See Harrison Smith as an example, who is missing two games. Real leaders do what it takes to give their team the best shot to be on the field. That’s my opinion, but there is nothing political about that statement. It’s ultimately his choice but there are consequences for your decisions.

And yes, that thread went off the rails and was closed as a result.
I see where you're coming from. Thanks for the explanation.
mael·strom

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:56 pm Comparing it to drunk driving is completely asinine. Any lawsuit would fall apart very quickly. For starters can the person prove they contracted the virus from the unvaccinated teammate?
A vaccinated person has at least taken steps to prevent injury. That doesn't guarantee they won't injure, but that's the underpinning of the legal liability concept of negligence. Or in the case of Rodgers, willful negligence. As in, the league has a policy for vaccinated players. I knowingly hold myself out as immunized, and I behave as if I am immunized under that policy knowing full well I am not. One of my teammates gets sick and dies.

Don't tell me you think Rogers or the Packers wouldn't at least get hit with a lawsuit if that were to happen under that set of facts.
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:56 pm Rodgers and Joe Rogan both used Ivermectin and had great results. Why is that not a treatment that is pushed? Couldn't be $$$ and lobbyist related could it?
Forget the drug companies for a second...

Why do you think the medical and scientific community would not seriously consider and evaluate any proposed preventive or treatment option?

But it clearly IS being pushed - by certain media and talking heads like Joe Rogan who seem intent on recommending anything other than proven mechanisms to combat this virus.

Once again, why would that be? In your view, the drug company lobbyists are the only ones with a $$$ motive, while guys like Rogan and various Fox "News" opinion hosts don't have a $$$ motive? Those big, bad heavily regulated Pharma companies deserve suspicion, but not your trusted talking head or for-profit "news" network?

Second, there is no scientifically valid and replicated independent study that has demonstrated Ivermectin can treat or prevent infection or reduce the severity of disease once infected. Not one. You can take it on a boat, you can take it with a goat. COVID doesn't care. It's a virus.

The original "studies" that showed Ivermectin prevented or reduced the severity of COVID infection have all fallen apart under independent scrutiny, and no subsequent objective study has replicated what the original author claimed was observed (same is true for hydroxychloriquine).

Contrast that with the vaccines that were rigorously studied and tested and the data behind them has been repeatedly independently replicated and publicly available. They do a good job of preventing infection in people with healthy immune systems. For others, they do a good job of reducing the severity of infection. Proven. Scientific. Fact. Results replicated all over the world.

Rodgers and Rogan did do something good though. At least both aren't a threat to give other people worms now...

What about the makers of Ivermectin and Hydroxychoriquine? Do you get your Ivermectin from the local Ivermectin brewer down the street?

Or how about the phama companies making monoclonal antibodies? Those are different companies than the ones hawking any of the myriad other drugs we constantly see being advertised on TV?

You think a different set of companies makes vaccines?
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:22 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:56 pm Comparing it to drunk driving is completely asinine. Any lawsuit would fall apart very quickly. For starters can the person prove they contracted the virus from the unvaccinated teammate?
A vaccinated person has at least taken steps to prevent injury. That doesn't guarantee they won't injure, but that's the underpinning of the legal liability concept of negligence. Or in the case of Rodgers, willful negligence. As in, the league has a policy for vaccinated players. I knowingly hold myself out as immunized, and I behave as if I am immunized under that policy knowing full well I am not. One of my teammates gets sick and dies.

Don't tell me you think Rogers or the Packers wouldn't at least get hit with a lawsuit if that were to happen under that set of facts.
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:56 pm Rodgers and Joe Rogan both used Ivermectin and had great results. Why is that not a treatment that is pushed? Couldn't be $$$ and lobbyist related could it?
Forget the drug companies for a second...

Why do you think the medical and scientific community would not seriously consider and evaluate any proposed preventive or treatment option?

But it clearly IS being pushed - by certain media and talking heads like Joe Rogan who seem intent on recommending anything other than proven mechanisms to combat this virus.

Once again, why would that be? In your view, the drug company lobbyists are the only ones with a $$$ motive, while guys like Rogan and various Fox "News" opinion hosts don't have a $$$ motive? Those big, bad heavily regulated Pharma companies deserve suspicion, but not your trusted talking head or for-profit "news" network?

Second, there is no scientifically valid and replicated independent study that has demonstrated Ivermectin can treat or prevent infection or reduce the severity of disease once infected. Not one. You can take it on a boat, you can take it with a goat. COVID doesn't care. It's a virus.

The original "studies" that showed Ivermectin prevented or reduced the severity of COVID infection have all fallen apart under independent scrutiny, and no subsequent objective study has replicated what the original author claimed was observed (same is true for hydroxychloriquine).

Contrast that with the vaccines that were rigorously studied and tested and the data behind them has been repeatedly independently replicated and publicly available. They do a good job of preventing infection in people with healthy immune systems. For others, they do a good job of reducing the severity of infection. Proven. Scientific. Fact. Results replicated all over the world.

Rodgers and Rogan did do something good though. At least both aren't a threat to give other people worms now...

What about the makers of Ivermectin and Hydroxychoriquine? Do you get your Ivermectin from the local Ivermectin brewer down the street?

Or how about the phama companies making monoclonal antibodies? Those are different companies than the ones hawking any of the myriad other drugs we constantly see being advertised on TV?

You think a different set of companies makes vaccines?
I'm assuming there is a lot more money to be made from a vaccine and constant boosters than a much cheaper treatment option. I do appreciate the level headed and well thought out response however. More than I can say for most people you try to discuss it with. I don't trust any talking heads or mainstream news outlets.
mael·strom