Vikings @ Chargers post game

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Vikings @ Chargers post game

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Vikings almost choked that away again but the win unfortanely keeps Zimmer for another week but I will take the win against a good team on the road!
VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Re: Vikings @ Chargers post game

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

I just don't seem to feel that great after the wins this year. I always feel like we won because we were lucky instead of good. I feel that a huge play in this game was when, on that last drive, they called the draw play on 2 &17 and Cook shook off the tackle to gain about 12 yards. If he doesn't, more than likely they will be punting back to the Chargers. I hate the play calling. I can't get excited about this team.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I’m gonna disagree with the first two posts. This was IMO the Vikings’ most complete game of the year.

First of all, the defense, severely undermanned, gave up 253 yards of total offense to a team that’s supposed to be explosive. The offense didn’t stall out like it always does. They moved the ball when they needed to move it late in the game, closing out the Chargers by going for it on 4th and 2 and imposing their will. They turned the game around after the Chargers scored 14 unanswered.

This is exactly the kind of win most of us believe the Vikings were incapable of winning.

Now, do I trust this team to continue playing this way? No. But for one day, our team went on the road and won a game against a quality opponent. I’ll take it.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:36 pm I’m gonna disagree with the first two posts. This was IMO the Vikings’ most complete game of the year.

First of all, the defense, severely undermanned, gave up 253 yards of total offense to a team that’s supposed to be explosive. The offense didn’t stall out like it always does. They moved the ball when they needed to move it late in the game, closing out the Chargers by going for it on 4th and 2 and imposing their will. They turned the game around after the Chargers scored 14 unanswered.

This is exactly the kind of win most of us believe the Vikings were incapable of winning.

Now, do I trust this team to continue playing this way? No. But for one day, our team went on the road and won a game against a quality opponent. I’ll take it.
I will take it, too. For now,
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

Nice we played a complete game today, because we’re going to need another one next week against the Packers. Let’s get this train rolling! Five divisional games left to play.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Getting a win out west is never easy. They played hard today. They deserved what they got. The only negative were the offensive penalties. Big penalties like holding on a TD and that face mask thing making it 1st and 25. That's digging your own hole and usually knocks a team out. We only staggered from it today which showed something. But all three phases played well enough to win and that's all you can ask. Dee Dee has some nice speed.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Vikings own November/December it's go time.

All jokes aside I'm conflicted. I really don't want them to keep Zimmer but it's hard not to enjoy a win. I'm to the point that if he doesn't get us to the playoffs and win a game it's time. Great road win though and this team could and should have won the som e of the tight games earlier but I feel like we say that every year... I heard the other day the Vikings oline has given up the least sacks in the league so that's improvement I can get behind.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Expected a win against the Chargers since we matched up well against them. I was really impressed with how well the defense played considering who they were missing. Speaking of injuries/covid players, is Bradbury going to get his starting spot back with Cole actually looking competent starting?
StpViking
Starter

Post by StpViking »

It is an unusual sight seeing our center not get tossed around every play.

Anyway, leave it to the Vikings to generate so little interest even after a win against an above .500 team. I confess I watched about 1/4 of the game and then left the house to do other things. Normally I am glued to the TV all game. This can't be good for the Wilfs, new expensive Stadium and Practice Facilities and the fans are not coming to purchase your product.

We all just want A superbowl before we all die. It's been 60 years c'mon now.
White 8DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee! Waz Up!
VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:36 pm I’m gonna disagree with the first two posts. This was IMO the Vikings’ most complete game of the year.

I will always TAKE a win. I think the players played hard today. I don't want to take anything away from them. BUT...I just feel that we saw the same flawed play calling philosophy. With the Vikings up by one TD, and they had 2nd & 17, you know darn well that Zimmer was thinking "let's just call two conservative plays from this position on the field, punt it back to them, and our defense will win the game for us." Luckily, Cook broke that tackle on the draw play. Now, it was 3 & 5 or 6 and they felt like it was safer to be more aggressive on the 3rd down conversion. If Cook had not broke that for a 12 yard run (and give big time kudos to Cook for that effort), they would have run the ball again and punted.

I have no confidence in their play calling right now. Having said that, I'm pumped that they won and I am hoping the can knock off the Pack next week.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Game balls:
ON D:
Kendricks. He is our best player. I view him as the heart and soul of our D. Love his effort. Love that he got another interception.

On O:
Jet. He was on fire. Fantastic catches over the middle, on the sideline, high pointing the ball, contested catches.... everything. Glad he didn't get flagged for throwing the ball to Keenan.

Runner up: Conklin. 2 TDs! He came up big in key situations.

Loved that Zimmer had the balls to go for it on 4th down and very glad that they didn't run up the middle. There were still moments of bad play calling from Klint, but I thought there were also signs of improvement. :v):
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:58 am Expected a win against the Chargers since we matched up well against them. I was really impressed with how well the defense played considering who they were missing. Speaking of injuries/covid players, is Bradbury going to get his starting spot back with Cole actually looking competent starting?
Cole has played as well as, if not better than (or at the very least more consistently than), Bradbury IMHO.

Bradbury has been a major disappointment as a first round pick. Spielman should look to trade him if he can get anything for him.

Not saying Cole is the answer at center either. I still think the Vikings need to be looking for a long-term solution at that position, but Cole has proven he can handle it.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

StpViking wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:39 am Anyway, leave it to the Vikings to generate so little interest even after a win against an above .500 team.
They are easily the best bad team in the league...

:lol:
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikeFanInEagleLand wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:41 am

I will always TAKE a win. I think the players played hard today. I don't want to take anything away from them. BUT...I just feel that we saw the same flawed play calling philosophy. With the Vikings up by one TD, and they had 2nd & 17, you know darn well that Zimmer was thinking "let's just call two conservative plays from this position on the field, punt it back to them, and our defense will win the game for us." Luckily, Cook broke that tackle on the draw play. Now, it was 3 & 5 or 6 and they felt like it was safer to be more aggressive on the 3rd down conversion. If Cook had not broke that for a 12 yard run (and give big time kudos to Cook for that effort), they would have run the ball again and punted.

I have no confidence in their play calling right now. Having said that, I'm pumped that they won and I am hoping the can knock off the Pack next week.
OK, but at the same time, they scored a TD on 4th down and went for it on 4th down late in the game when I was SURE Zimmer would call for the 53-yard field goal attempt.

Also, how many of us have been screaming for Cousins to throw 50-50 balls and give his receivers a chance to make a play? He finally did it against the Chargers, and Justin Jefferson rewarded him time and time again. As a side note, that kid was the best receiver in the league yesterday. That may not be an improvement in playcalling, but it almost certainly is an uptick in coaching. And it shows what Cousins can do if he will just get out of his own way and stop playing paint-by-numbers quarterback.

As for the 2nd-and-17, I totally get what you’re saying. But honestly, what would we have said if they’d thrown it and gotten picked in their own territory with a 7-point lead late? We’d have definitely been calling for Zimmer’s head. Yes, we got a little lucky that Cook broke a nice run, but I think in that particular situation, you almost have to be conservative. If it’s the second quarter, not so much.

But believe me, I’m not wearing purple sunglasses. Kubiak continues to call plays that baffle me, like the snail-slow developing reverse to JJ. And he continues to baffle me with the plays he won’t call, such as screens to Cook or Mattison instead of the tight end (he finally called one for each Cook and Matti yesterday, and they both worked … why not call more?). All is not fixed in Minnesota. But compared to what we’ve seen since the Seattle game, I saw yesterday as a huge improvement. It finally looked like they were playing to win. Every phase contributed. When was the last time we could say those things?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Things that made the difference against the Chargers:

- Deep ball attempts all game long. Cousins let it fly on deep routes to Jefferson several times and was rewarded for it. Jefferson was not clearly open on any of them, either, but he got chances to make plays and made them more often than not. This kept the defensive backs honest and helped to keep the chains moving. Good job by Cousins, Jefferson and Kubiak to keep at that.

- Aggressive playcalls by Zimmer. GOOD JOB! Finally. He took chances, but at the same time, gave his guys a chance to win the game on both sides of the ball and it paid off. If one thinks about it, what do the Vikings really have to lose at this point? Do they get points if they just make the playoffs or barely lose? No. It's all about winning it all, and to win it all you have to risk it all. So kudos to Zimmer for his willingness to take those chances and kudos to the players for executing when given the chance.

- Cousins gets a mention. He was under pressure on a lot of dropbacks. He did fumble on the one. But he stood in there, took some hard hits, and got the ball out. He is one of the most frustrating QBs to watch. You know he can ball and make plays, and yet there are long stretches of games or series of games where he just doesn't do it. And then you watch him do it and be one of the main reasons for a win. He gets credit for this game. He played well. But can he keep doing that? What Cousins is going to show up against the Packers this week?

- Dalvin Cook. Great run on a key 3rd-and-long to give them a realistic shot at converting on 4th, and then great run on 4th to get it. Another player the Vikings absolutely must have to have a shot this year.

- How about that defense? Going up against a stacked offensive team on the road and with multiple starters out, and yet they were solid against the run all game, solid rushing the passer all game, solid in coverage most of the game. Bynum has played well for a rookie. Kendricks was effective. Dantzler and Breeland played well. Zimmer should be really proud of the way his defense performed. They'll need to meet or beat that in this upcoming game against the Packers.

This team is the ultimate tease and I know that, but that is a good Chargers team, at least on the offensive side of the football, and I felt like the Vikings were in control for most of the game. I've felt like that for the majority of the games they've played this year. Somehow, they've come up short more than not so far, but I remarked to my son that this is not a bad Vikings team. It's actually a good team and one that could be really good if they can just put it all together. I know the chances of that happening are relatively small, and I know we've been here before this year thinking maybe they've turned the proverbial corner finally and can get back into the mix only to be let down.

Here's hoping we see some evidence of the corner turn against the Packers. A solid performance there at home is what they need to show they're capable of getting on the right track at this point in the season and give us all reason for optimism going forward.