Mr. Clutch Minute Man Kirk Cousins

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Mr. Clutch Minute Man Kirk Cousins

Post by CharVike »

Laserman wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:13 pm Sure Cousins has decent stats. Stats don't always equal wins. The only thing that matters is Wins. Cousins simply IS NOT A WINNER. Why can' people see that? He will NEVER be a NFL Winner. Cut the cord now.
What is your definition of a winner QB? Is the Lions QB a winner? He was in the Super Bowl. I'd call that a winner. Why can't the Lions win then? Cousins has decent stats. Why can't we win then? IMO our overall team isn't good enough from a base talent stand point. We lack talent to compete against the top teams. Who is our best CB? I don't even know myself. I don't see a young Rhodes back there. What QB right now could take this team to the Super Bowl. Rodgers is the MVP and I don't think he could do it. We lack talent from top to bottom.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:41 am
Laserman wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:13 pm Sure Cousins has decent stats. Stats don't always equal wins. The only thing that matters is Wins. Cousins simply IS NOT A WINNER. Why can' people see that? He will NEVER be a NFL Winner. Cut the cord now.
What is your definition of a winner QB?
A QB who elevates his team to increase their chances of winning rather than the other way around.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Another last 2 minute drive to tie or win including a 4th and nine completion for first down.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:03 pm Another last 2 minute drive to tie or win including a 4th and nine completion for first down.
It don't matter at this point. We will get beat. One more completion and game over.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

CharVike wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:07 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:03 pm Another last 2 minute drive to tie or win including a 4th and nine completion for first down.
It don't matter at this point. We will get beat. One more completion and game over.
They all matter.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Give me a winner any day over someone who has decent stats.
Brady is a winner...doesn't always get things done pretty but he is a winner.

Kirk is a decent QB, but he is not a winner and his record proves that.
4mnvikes1982
Practice Squad

Post by 4mnvikes1982 »

halfgiz wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:44 pm Give me a winner any day over someone who has decent stats.

spot on
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

halfgiz wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:44 pm Give me a winner any day over someone who has decent stats.

Brady threw 50 TDs one year. That's not to bad. But our guy is a loser. One more year unless he gets cut. That may happen if a new crew comes in.
Brady can play however it is needed. Will never run for yardage but can throw it.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

The Vikings offensive line gave up 6 pressures yesterday (2nd fewest of the season) and no sacks.

Oli Udoh allowed 3 while Christian Darrisaw, Ezra Cleveland and Mason Cole allowed 1 pressure apiece.

As a team it was their highest-graded pass blocking performance of the season
https://twitter.com/SeanBormanNFL/statu ... DqZjg&s=09
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

S197 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:23 pm
The Vikings offensive line gave up 6 pressures yesterday (2nd fewest of the season) and no sacks.

Oli Udoh allowed 3 while Christian Darrisaw, Ezra Cleveland and Mason Cole allowed 1 pressure apiece.

As a team it was their highest-graded pass blocking performance of the season
https://twitter.com/SeanBormanNFL/statu ... DqZjg&s=09
I don't know exactly how "pressures" are defined because it sure seemed like the Ravens had a lot of free runners at Cousins due to overloads and poor OL communication on the part of the Vikings, but, if true, the Vikings attempted I believe one deep pass all game (the TD to Jefferson on the first drive).

After that I believe the deepest target was CJ Ham's catch, which itself was the result of a bail out throw (I doubt Ham was the primary target).

If the OL is playing so well, why isn't Cousins going deep more often? Very few deep attempts this year, and it is really allowing defenses to compress the field and come up much more aggressively against the run and short passing game. The Vikings offense must rank dead last in the NFL in deep attempts and, I'd wager, at or near the bottom in mid-range attempts as well.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:17 pm
I don't know exactly how "pressures" are defined because it sure seemed like the Ravens had a lot of free runners at Cousins due to overloads and poor OL communication on the part of the Vikings, but, if true, the Vikings attempted I believe one deep pass all game (the TD to Jefferson on the first drive).

After that I believe the deepest target was CJ Ham's catch, which itself was the result of a bail out throw (I doubt Ham was the primary target).

If the OL is playing so well, why isn't Cousins going deep more often? Very few deep attempts this year, and it is really allowing defenses to compress the field and come up much more aggressively against the run and short passing game. The Vikings offense must rank dead last in the NFL in deep attempts and, I'd wager, at or near the bottom in mid-range attempts as well.
21st in the league in number of deep attempts. However, even on those deep shots his average depth of target is only 28 yards down field, which is 30th in the NFL.

So even when he is going deep it isn't all that deep.

His play is perplexing this year. Normally he reserved the check down happy games for big games and games against good teams. This year it is just about every game, including a terrible Lions defense.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

He’s just not letting the plays develop. Or isn’t seeing the field. I posted a multitude of plays against Dallas where he just flat out misses guys. Here’s the OT play where he checks down once again despite being under no pressure:

https://twitter.com/willragatz/status/1 ... 95331?s=21

I don’t know if he’s “seeing ghosts” or what but this is a consistent issue with him. He’ll have stretches where he plays great and then times where he just can’t get it together. Windows are small in the NFL, good QBs need to make those throws.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

S197 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:42 pm

He’s just not letting the plays develop. Or isn’t seeing the field. I posted a multitude of plays against Dallas where he just flat out misses guys. Here’s the OT play where he checks down once again despite being under no pressure:

I don’t know if he’s “seeing ghosts” or what but this is a consistent issue with him. He’ll have stretches where he plays great and then times where he just can’t get it together. Windows are small in the NFL, good QBs need to make those throws.
He’ll have stretches where he plays great and then times where he just can’t get it together. Isn't that basically 90% of the NFL QBs that play today? Dak Prescott who is one of the best just had a horrible game and got beat. Jackson who just beat Cousins was absolutely terrible his game before this one and got beat. Look it up it's hard too believe that team will give him a huge contract. He'll do it again. Stafford sucked this week for the Rams. Mr pick 6. He looked stunned and so did his head coach. That's a QB not recognizing when a CB/S will jump the route. I've seen Stafford enough. He'll have games when he sucks. Last year Wilson in the playoffs Pick 6. That started the beating. He can suck to. Mahomes don't look to good. Up and down. That's a problem. Cousins had his chance and has one year left. If we get a new GM he might cut him right off the bat. A new GM will gut this squad and we'll have plenty of CAP. There won't be too many young future HOF QB available in FA. Teams keep those. It will be the Case Keenums of the world. I thought Rodgers might be available but this new guy the Pack have didn't light the world on fire.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

CharVike wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:05 am
S197 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:42 pm

He’ll have stretches where he plays great and then times where he just can’t get it together. Isn't that basically 90% of the NFL QBs that play today? Dak Prescott who is one of the best just had a horrible game and got beat. Jackson who just beat Cousins was absolutely terrible his game before this one and got beat. Look it up it's hard too believe that team will give him a huge contract. He'll do it again. Stafford sucked this week for the Rams. Mr pick 6. He looked stunned and so did his head coach. That's a QB not recognizing when a CB/S will jump the route. I've seen Stafford enough. He'll have games when he sucks. Last year Wilson in the playoffs Pick 6. That started the beating. He can suck to. Mahomes don't look to good. Up and down. That's a problem. Cousins had his chance and has one year left. If we get a new GM he might cut him right off the bat. A new GM will gut this squad and we'll have plenty of CAP. There won't be too many young future HOF QB available in FA. Teams keep those. It will be the Case Keenums of the world. I thought Rodgers might be available but this new guy the Pack have didn't light the world on fire.
Everyone has bad games but it seems more pronounced with Cousins and his ability to rebound seems to take a lot longer. Jackson as an example, he played really poorly in the 1st half against the Vikings as well but he played much better in the 2nd half. He's orchestrated a number of come from behind wins including rallying his team down 19 points to the Colts.

I've said this repeatedly, I don't think Cousins is a bad QB. But what he's asking of this team via his contract is for the Vikings to pay him like he's an elite QB. And he simply isn't an elite QB. He's not a top 5 and I'd even argue he's not top 10. So if you have an inconsistent QB, maybe the #12 QB in the league, why on God's green earth would you pay this type of guy $45 million a season? People kept saying by the time he's making that kind of money, that would be the market. Okay, well who is getting $45 million next year? It isn't anyone in the Kirk Cousins tier that's for sure. And good for him, he negotiated it and got paid. The problem is Rick for giving him the contract extension. They rolled out the red carpet for Cousins on the initial 3-year deal, that was enough time to show if he was worth being paid like one of the top guys in the league. There was absolutely no reason to rush him into that new cushy deal.

You seem to think we'll get a new GM. I'm not so sure. I think they'll fire Zimmer and keep Spielman around.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

S197 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:07 pm
CharVike wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:05 am
Everyone has bad games but it seems more pronounced with Cousins and his ability to rebound seems to take a lot longer. Jackson as an example, he played really poorly in the 1st half against the Vikings as well but he played much better in the 2nd half. He's orchestrated a number of come from behind wins including rallying his team down 19 points to the Colts.

I've said this repeatedly, I don't think Cousins is a bad QB. But what he's asking of this team via his contract is for the Vikings to pay him like he's an elite QB. And he simply isn't an elite QB. He's not a top 5 and I'd even argue he's not top 10. So if you have an inconsistent QB, maybe the #12 QB in the league, why on God's green earth would you pay this type of guy $45 million a season? People kept saying by the time he's making that kind of money, that would be the market. Okay, well who is getting $45 million next year? It isn't anyone in the Kirk Cousins tier that's for sure. And good for him, he negotiated it and got paid. The problem is Rick for giving him the contract extension. They rolled out the red carpet for Cousins on the initial 3-year deal, that was enough time to show if he was worth being paid like one of the top guys in the league. There was absolutely no reason to rush him into that new cushy deal.

You seem to think we'll get a new GM. I'm not so sure. I think they'll fire Zimmer and keep Spielman around.
I agree with you 100%. I thought he was the guy and he has proven that's not the case. This year has been about as perplexing as it gets. We have all seen it and can predict what he will do. Basically it's a waste of time and zero enjoyment. Your right about Speilman also. They may keep. #### they may keep Zim if we make the playoffs. I don't see how that can happen but who knows. A 9-8 record isn't out yet but it's getting close.