Vikings QB Kellen Mond test positive for COVID; three QBs including Kirk Cousins expected to miss practice

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

ERIK the PURPLE
Franchise Player

Re: Vikings QB Kellen Mond test positive for COVID; three QBs including Kirk Cousins expected to miss practice

Post by ERIK the PURPLE »

I hate auto correct. Dalvin at RB.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings QB Kellen Mond test positive for COVID; three QBs including Kirk Cousins expected to miss practice

Post by CharVike »

ERIK the PURPLE wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:27 am I think it’s time we got creative on the O-Line schemes. It’s obvious our front 5 can’t get the job done consistently. Why not throw in an extra tackle or guard and play a 6 man line? Maybe a 6 man line with and Ham or a TE on the other side. Dalton at RB and 2 WR’s.
I don't think there is a scheme that can help 4 guys that can't hold the point. The only thing I can think of is throw a bunch of screens which will actually play to their strength. Matter of fact make the whole offense screened based. You can do many things off screens including running the ball and throwing deep quickly. That would actually be fun to watch. The cards would be scratching their heads. Screen with options 60 times in one game. Cook would have some cracks he can exploit with this. Not much blocking required at the point which fits our guys skill level perfectly. That's how you use what you have. But tell Bradbury do your no block usual but what 2 seconds before heading down field looking for a CB you might be able to handle. Of course this could lead to a bunch of illegal guys downfield penalties but what the hell try something that fits the skill set for a change. Plus after a few a these they won't even rush people as teams do when a screen is sniffed out which will give our passing game plenty of time to throw and get open.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

CharVike wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:15 pm
fiestavike wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:39 pm

This is true, but I think it is a point worth emphasizing that Kirk is both immobile and doesn't throw until he sees guys open. You could mitigate the OL struggles if either one of those things weren't the case.
Everyone says Cousins is immobile. I have seen him run bootlegs and complete the pass. That takes mobility. Can he sprint out and take it 70 yards like Lamar Jackson no. He doesn't have his speed or running ability. That's expecting a player to do a task that he has no skill for. Ask Theilen to blow the top off the house with his speed. That won't and can't happen. Doesn't mean he sucks. He performs great within the boundaries of his skill level. It's always said that Cousins never extends a play which is another bunch of BS. This link I provide the dude even said the play was extended by Cousins. He should throw to a guy that's tripled teamed and fully covered? That has zero chance of a completion. That makes sense. He can read a coverage and it's shown here. Looks at the primary and then come across to the secondary. He buys time with fakes from the body. But everyone says he can't by time or extend. Now maybe this guy is a homer and he's full of it. The tape says otherwise. Cousin has thrown some horrible passes and has had some terrible games. That will happen again. Maybe this week. But the Skins franchised him twice and teams did attempt to sign him during FA . This clips just goes the opposite of what you just posted.

https://youtu.be/NL52D1j60mU
You can pick nits and say he is 'mobil' because he has decent enough straight line speed. The point is he is unsuccessful buying time in the vast majority of cases, has no pocket awareness, panics and flounders when pressured, and nobody in the league would give a first round pick for him. He remains the guy trips on his own feet and who stumbles around into his own linemen when pressured, who passes live passes backward in fear and desperation, who downs the ball when it should be spiked. He's a spaz. This is who Kirk Cousins is.

I'd classify him as comparable to Ryan Fitzpatrick, Case Keenum, or some other stop gap journeyman. Sure, his top end is way better, way more talented, but his basement is a cratering cavern beneath the structure. On the whole, he sucks.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

fiestavike wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:24 pm He remains the guy trips on his own feet and who stumbles around into his own linemen when pressured, who passes live passes backward in fear and desperation, who downs the ball when it should be spiked. He's a spaz. This is who Kirk Cousins is.
Did you watch the game against the Cardinals? Or against the Bengals, for that matter?

I felt like Cousins played pretty well in both of those games. In the game against the Bengals the OL put the team in a lot of bad positions. Cook couldn't find running room either because the OL was just bad. Despite that, Cousins got them back into the game and they were driving to get into FG position in OT to win before the "fumble".

Against the Cardinals, I thought Cousins played pretty well overall. He made some nice reads and decisions. Yes, he got better overall blocking and the running game with Cook was a lot more consistent and effective, but still, Cousins again played more than well enough to get the team into position to win late.

I'm not a Cousins apologist, but your comments about him don't reflect the way he's played so far in 2021 from what I've seen.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

fiestavike wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:24 pm
CharVike wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:15 pm
Everyone says Cousins is immobile. I have seen him run bootlegs and complete the pass. That takes mobility. Can he sprint out and take it 70 yards like Lamar Jackson no. He doesn't have his speed or running ability. That's expecting a player to do a task that he has no skill for. Ask Theilen to blow the top off the house with his speed. That won't and can't happen. Doesn't mean he sucks. He performs great within the boundaries of his skill level. It's always said that Cousins never extends a play which is another bunch of BS. This link I provide the dude even said the play was extended by Cousins. He should throw to a guy that's tripled teamed and fully covered? That has zero chance of a completion. That makes sense. He can read a coverage and it's shown here. Looks at the primary and then come across to the secondary. He buys time with fakes from the body. But everyone says he can't by time or extend. Now maybe this guy is a homer and he's full of it. The tape says otherwise. Cousin has thrown some horrible passes and has had some terrible games. That will happen again. Maybe this week. But the Skins franchised him twice and teams did attempt to sign him during FA . This clips just goes the opposite of what you just posted.

https://youtu.be/NL52D1j60mU
You can pick nits and say he is 'mobil' because he has decent enough straight line speed. The point is he is unsuccessful buying time in the vast majority of cases, has no pocket awareness, panics and flounders when pressured, and nobody in the league would give a first round pick for him. He remains the guy trips on his own feet and who stumbles around into his own linemen when pressured, who passes live passes backward in fear and desperation, who downs the ball when it should be spiked. He's a spaz. This is who Kirk Cousins is.

I'd classify him as comparable to Ryan Fitzpatrick, Case Keenum, or some other stop gap journeyman. Sure, his top end is way better, way more talented, but his basement is a cratering cavern beneath the structure. On the whole, he sucks.
You can have an opinion but I highly doubt very few would put Case and Kirk at a similar level. Yes Case took us to the champ game. We had the No 1 ranked defense. Don't you think that helped? He's back were he fits being a backup. There are a bunch of teams that need a starter which doesn't hurt Kirk's value. Maybe we can't get a 1st rounder. I don't think that's the case because the need is too strong. (Saints/Panthers/Broncos to start). Kirk isn't even allowed to change the play. The kid Burrow can do that. IMO Kirk has played enough at the pro level he knows what a defense is doing. He knows when a play is stacked. Not only does that hurt our QB but it hurts our team also. That's on Zim. Kirk even said us not moving the ball closer for the FG came down to what the coach wanted. We had 40 seconds and some good WRs and that D was tired. We had them on the ropes. Go for the knock out. This week don't look to good for us. Wilson is hot and I expect a complete shredding of this swiss cheese secondary. Zim better shoot for 40+ on our side which means putting it up.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:04 am
fiestavike wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:24 pm He remains the guy trips on his own feet and who stumbles around into his own linemen when pressured, who passes live passes backward in fear and desperation, who downs the ball when it should be spiked. He's a spaz. This is who Kirk Cousins is.
Did you watch the game against the Cardinals? Or against the Bengals, for that matter?

I felt like Cousins played pretty well in both of those games. In the game against the Bengals the OL put the team in a lot of bad positions. Cook couldn't find running room either because the OL was just bad. Despite that, Cousins got them back into the game and they were driving to get into FG position in OT to win before the "fumble".

Against the Cardinals, I thought Cousins played pretty well overall. He made some nice reads and decisions. Yes, he got better overall blocking and the running game with Cook was a lot more consistent and effective, but still, Cousins again played more than well enough to get the team into position to win late.

I'm not a Cousins apologist, but your comments about him don't reflect the way he's played so far in 2021 from what I've seen.
I haven't watched at all this year after week 1. Cousins will have his moments because he does have some great attributes, but I've seen enough of him to know who he is and what he'll do in the end. All things considered, he's an average to below average starting QB in the NFL.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

Yup, and he is making Brady money thanks to Spielmans incompetence. A QB that requires perfect protection on a team with NO OL...hence, the debacle that is the Minny Vikings.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

fiestavike wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:59 am
VikingLord wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:04 am

I haven't watched at all this year after week 1. Cousins will have his moments because he does have some great attributes, but I've seen enough of him to know who he is and what he'll do in the end. All things considered, he's an average to below average starting QB in the NFL.
He's a below avg QB based on what? His Passer rating was 105, Wilson who some say is the best was also 105, Brady was 102. TD passes he was number 6 at 35. Comp Pct no 9. Non of them were below avg. Interceptions he sucked and was tied with another who sucked Wilson at 13. They were both below average in that one which means they become tight. Yards per game he was No 9. Comp Pct No 9. Nothing is below average. Rushing yards he had 156. Brady had 6 and every analyst will say you can't win a Super Bowl if your QB can't run. Brady did it with 6 yards total rushing. Cousins is a good QB nothing more or less. Maybe one of our stiffs behind him will get a chance and then you'll see what I mean.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

fiestavike wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:59 am I haven't watched at all this year after week 1. Cousins will have his moments because he does have some great attributes, but I've seen enough of him to know who he is and what he'll do in the end. All things considered, he's an average to below average starting QB in the NFL.
Fair enough.

FWIW, I don't think the team's main problem this season is Cousins. The main problems I keep seeing are largely the same ones that plagued them last year - inconsistent and sometimes outright awful OL play, which affects both the run and pass, coupled this year with maddeningly predictable playcalling and an overall lack of aggressiveness unless they are backed up against the wall. I don't know if the conservative playcalling is a result of a lack of faith in the OL's abilities, or part of some grand strategy to move the ball, but it doesn't seem to be working all that well. IMHO, the offense has taken a big step backward this year and I think the stats bear that out.

Defensively the problem last year was predicated around an inability to stop the run and maddening inconsistency, and surprise surprise, that's the same problem they've got this year despite the personnel changes. The defense can get it done for stretches, but they also give up huge plays both on the ground and via the air, often at the worst possible times. The only thing that is notably better about the defense this year is the play of Griffen who has been really good overall, and the increased pressure they're getting as a result of having Hunter back at the other end spot. Those two have helped a lot in terms of pressuring the passer. Other than that, it's largely the same old same old.

Cousins has been pretty consistent. When he's had time, he's moved it well, but he struggles when he's under pressure and especially if the run game isn't working well. I can't fault him for the losses.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingLord wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:11 pm
fiestavike wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:59 am I haven't watched at all this year after week 1. Cousins will have his moments because he does have some great attributes, but I've seen enough of him to know who he is and what he'll do in the end. All things considered, he's an average to below average starting QB in the NFL.
Fair enough.

FWIW, I don't think the team's main problem this season is Cousins. The main problems I keep seeing are largely the same ones that plagued them last year - inconsistent and sometimes outright awful OL play, which affects both the run and pass, coupled this year with maddeningly predictable playcalling and an overall lack of aggressiveness unless they are backed up against the wall. I don't know if the conservative playcalling is a result of a lack of faith in the OL's abilities, or part of some grand strategy to move the ball, but it doesn't seem to be working all that well. IMHO, the offense has taken a big step backward this year and I think the stats bear that out.

Defensively the problem last year was predicated around an inability to stop the run and maddening inconsistency, and surprise surprise, that's the same problem they've got this year despite the personnel changes. The defense can get it done for stretches, but they also give up huge plays both on the ground and via the air, often at the worst possible times. The only thing that is notably better about the defense this year is the play of Griffen who has been really good overall, and the increased pressure they're getting as a result of having Hunter back at the other end spot. Those two have helped a lot in terms of pressuring the passer. Other than that, it's largely the same old same old.

Cousins has been pretty consistent. When he's had time, he's moved it well, but he struggles when he's under pressure and especially if the run game isn't working well. I can't fault him for the losses.
It's pretty clear to me that Cousins is the biggest factor in the team's lack of success. Of course there are other factors, but he lacks a base minimum level of composure. He's just a lousy QB.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Put Cousins on the Rams and he'd be this year's Stafford. Competent offensive coaching works wonders.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:19 am Put Cousins on the Rams and he'd be this year's Stafford. Competent offensive coaching works wonders.
I'm in favor of it!
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:19 am Put Cousins on the Rams and he'd be this year's Stafford. Competent offensive coaching works wonders.
I mean, isn't that basically what happened when he moved from Washington to here? Not many QBs get Thielen, Diggs/Jefferson, and Cook comparable weapons. You can add Rudolph for the first few years too.

I think yesterday was just a traditional "bad Kirk" day. And he'll probably have a few more in the upcoming weeks to cancel out his good games. Definition of an average QB in my book. For the most part, he wasn't under a ton of pressure. No more than Rush, that's for sure.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

S197 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:59 pm
I mean, isn't that basically what happened when he moved from Washington to here? Not many QBs get Thielen, Diggs/Jefferson, and Cook comparable weapons. You can add Rudolph for the first few years too.

I think yesterday was just a traditional "bad Kirk" day. And he'll probably have a few more in the upcoming weeks to cancel out his good games. Definition of an average QB in my book. For the most part, he wasn't under a ton of pressure. No more than Rush, that's for sure.
He absolutely has good weapons to work with. The line has been another matter. I wouod also like to see more competition at WR behind the top two guys. I don't believe he has had an offensive coach like McVay or Gruden in his corner here though.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:35 pm
S197 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:59 pm

He absolutely has good weapons to work with. The line has been another matter. I wouod also like to see more competition at WR behind the top two guys. I don't believe he has had an offensive coach like McVay or Gruden in his corner here though.
Not having an offensive minded coach is a definite hindrance, I'll concede. The OL did a decent job in pass protection yesterday and yet the offense gained -4 yards off two defensive turnovers, stalled after getting gifted an offsides on a punt, and settled for a FG on a drive the refs were practically giving to them.

It's not all on Cousins obviously but the guy has major flaws and is vastly overpaid. Stafford is on a completely different tier.