Cowboys @ Vikings post game

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Cowboys @ Vikings post game

Post by CharVike »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:58 pm
TSonn wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:43 pm In a weird way I feel bad for Zimmer. To be completely exposed as a terrible in-game coach with an outdated defensive scheme in a nationally televised game. He's gotta be embarrassed. Though I'm sure he'll blame the kicker or something.

Hopefully the Wilfs are embarrassed enough to finally can him since it's been obvious he lost whatever edge he had back in 2018.
Do not hold your breath on it, Wilfs should have fired Zimmer after Cowboys loss last year and they did not do it
I don't think they will fire him at this point. The worst part was the 73 yard TD pass. The Cowboys were willing to sacrifice this game and we didn't want it. How can a team only score 16 against that Cowboy squad. Can't even put up a TD after drive one. I don't even know were to point the finger. Cousins intentional grounding didn't help either.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Zimmer ball has growed old. It's obvious the Vikings aren't going anywhere with him in charge.
I was ready to be rid of Zimmer and Rick a few years ago.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

https://twitter.com/WillRagatz/status/1 ... McWlw&s=19

Kirk Cousins on the situation at the end of the first half where 20 seconds ran off the clock: "I just let Zim handle the timeouts because I never know quite what the coaches want to do with that."

Nothing like being prepared for situational football....like a 2 min drill. QB and coaches should know exactly what they want to do with that situation.....BECAUSE YOU PREPARE FOR IT.

Someone step up and be the damn leader. There is none on this team. Zimmer needs to hit the road. Rick behind him. Same story different day. Never going to change with this regime. Mediocrity at its finest.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

The 1.81 points given up on defense that the Vikings gave up this game would be good for 8th, just .02 behind New England. That is without their best player on defense for most of the game and without their best CB for the entire game.

The 1.33 points scored per drive on offense would be 30th in the NFL and worse than Chicago has averaged this year.

TTT for the QB was 7th longest of any QB in week 8. Average distance thrown was 2nd shortest of any QB this week.

Vikings converted on 1-13 on offense and averaged 4.8 yards per pass attempt.

I have been saying this for weeks: This is a bottom 10 offense lead by an average QB with a below average OC that has NO shot at doing anything in the playoffs even if they limp in at 9 in 8.

If you think Zimmer is the only problem on this team you are deluding yourself.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:17 am The 1.81 points given up on defense that the Vikings gave up this game would be good for 8th, just .02 behind New England. That is without their best player on defense for most of the game and without their best CB for the entire game.

The 1.33 points scored per drive on offense would be 30th in the NFL and worse than Chicago has averaged this year.

TTT for the QB was 7th longest of any QB in week 8. Average distance thrown was 2nd shortest of any QB this week.

I have been saying this for weeks: This is a bottom 10 offense lead by an average QB with a below average OC that has NO shot at doing anything in the playoffs even if they limp in at 9 in 8.

He's not the only problem. He's just one of the biggest problems (and the reason they have a below average OC, among many other issues).
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Mothman wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:28 am
StumpHunter wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:17 am The 1.81 points given up on defense that the Vikings gave up this game would be good for 8th, just .02 behind New England. That is without their best player on defense for most of the game and without their best CB for the entire game.

He's not the only problem. He's just one of the biggest problems (and the reason they have a below average OC, among many other issues).
I was ready to fire everyone for that Klint hiring two weeks in. It was a complete failure on the part of the HC to not recognize his limitations from an offensive standpoint and by the GM to not go out and find someone with more experience.

You replace Zimmer, hire an offensive minded head coach and you still have an average QB playing behind a below average oline, being managed by an average GM. The Vikings need to blow the whole thing up, and I am very worried Zim will be the goat this offseason while Rick goes out and extends Cousins for 50 million guaranteed over the next 3 seasons.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Exactly. He is the HC, after all. I can't wait to have a real one, who takes responsibility for both sides of the ball, special teams, the coaches on his staff, and owns up to his mistakes in press conferences. I can't wait for this 'playing not to lose' philosophy to be a thing of the past. At this point, my main feeling towards this team and Zimmer/ Spielman philosophies is exhaustion. We keep seeing the same stuff happening over and over again. It's infuriating.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:50 am

I was ready to fire everyone for that Klint hiring two weeks in. It was a complete failure on the part of the HC to not recognize his limitations from an offensive standpoint and by the GM to not go out and find someone with more experience.

You replace Zimmer, hire an offensive minded head coach and you still have an average QB playing behind a below average oline, being managed by an average GM. The Vikings need to blow the whole thing up, and I am very worried Zim will be the goat this offseason while Rick goes out and extends Cousins for 50 million guaranteed over the next 3 seasons.
Here's the thing though...

We HAVE a defensive minded head coach yet we have a middle-of-the-road defense which can't stop anyone when we need a stop to win. We HAVE a conservative minded head coach who prioritizes TOP yet has no idea how to manage the clock at the end of the half and the game. We HAVE a veteran head coach who routinely doesn't have his players ready for the game in terms of focus and preparation.

Your situation about an offensive minded head coach is hypothetical. Unfortunately the situation I described is reality and we just keep on living it.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

TSonn wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:56 am
StumpHunter wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:50 am

We HAVE a defensive minded head coach yet we have a middle-of-the-road defense which can't stop anyone when we need a stop to win. We HAVE a conservative minded head coach who prioritizes TOP yet has no idea how to manage the clock at the end of the half and the game. We HAVE a veteran head coach who routinely doesn't have his players ready for the game in terms of focus and preparation.

Your situation about an offensive minded head coach is hypothetical. Unfortunately the situation I described is reality and we just keep on living it.
We have the 8th best defense in the only stats that impact wins and losses, not middle of the road. It is a top 10 D built with mostly castoff free agents.

Just to be very clear, I am NOT giving the old "Yeah, we could fire Zimmer, but who are we going to find that is better?" argument that people like to throw around for mediocre GM's, QB's and HC's. That is a tired argument that people content with mediocrity give to defend the mediocre. I am saying that we cannot just fire Zimmer and expect everything to get better. To do that we need to start completely over, fire the GM who was content with Zimmer for 8 seasons, trade the QB who is a problem against nearly every good team we face, and try to build a SB caliber team.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:10 am
TSonn wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:56 am

We have the 8th best defense in the only stats that impact wins and losses, not middle of the road. It is a top 10 D built with mostly castoff free agents.

Just to be very clear, I am NOT giving the old "Yeah, we could fire Zimmer, but who are we going to find that is better?" argument that people like to throw around for mediocre GM's, QB's and HC's. That is a tired argument that people content with mediocrity give to defend the mediocre. I am saying that we cannot just fire Zimmer and expect everything to get better. To do that we need to start completely over, fire the GM who was content with Zimmer for 8 seasons, trade the QB who is a problem against nearly every good team we face, and try to build a SB caliber team.
Who gets to decide which stats are the only stats that impact wins and losses? Sounds like a convenient way to just ignore any data you want.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

The path forward is:

Step 1: Fire Zimmer (should be right now, or 3 years ago really, but most likely after we lose the next 3 games and are out of the playoff race at 3-7)
Step 2: Trade Cousins (we could trade Cousins to NO right now if we do Step 1 today but our leadership won't do that so we'll trade him this offseason and get less back)

Optional Step 3: Fire Rick Spielman. I might be in the minority here but I'd like to see what a Spielman roster looks like with a different head coach. I think Zimmer is the bottleneck to this whole thing but it could be Spielman. Obviously Spielman is at fault for keeping Zimmer so long so maybe that's worthy of firing right there. Either way, I don't care either way.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Zimmer isn't the ONLY issue. We need wholesale change. This coaching regime needs to go. I'm tired of Rick's roster he builds too. How much of that is him vs Zimmer? I have no idea. I know our oline issues have remained for a decade. Our lack of WR depth has been there forever. We've wasted high picks on CBs who are elsewhere (yes I know this is likely the Zimmer factor).

ALL the coaching hires are their responsibility. OC sucks again? Same joke of a HC and GM hired him. It's their responsibility. This is how an organization works. You continue to make bad hires, then you are the problem.

Our HC is a mediocre DC in today's NFL who can't manage a game clock to save his life, or situational football. Refuses to accept any responsibility, throws his players under the bus constantly. NFL has moved way past Zimmer now. He peaked 5 seasons ago.

Bring in a young OC who knows current NFL offenses and is more in-tune with his locker room / players as HC. . Hire an experienced DC to run that side of the ball. Since it's the copy cat league....look at the Cardinals. Woah that's painful to type.
Last edited by makila on Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Texas Vike wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:52 am

Exactly. He is the HC, after all. I can't wait to have a real one, who takes responsibility for both sides of the ball, special teams, the coaches on his staff, and owns up to his mistakes in press conferences. I can't wait for this 'playing not to lose' philosophy to be a thing of the past. At this point, my main feeling towards this team and Zimmer/ Spielman philosophies is exhaustion. We keep seeing the same stuff happening over and over again. It's infuriating.
Zimmer is the opposite of a "the buck stops with me" leader. Which is ironic as he likes to fashion himself as a no-nonense do your job guy. Yet takes ZERO personal responsibility for anything. So fing sick of his bull.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

The VIkes are a fire sale. We are only one teeny step above the putrid Lions....
We have a few players that are worthy of trading for some draft picks and they ought to do so quickly. But Spielman needs to go, He will NEVER build a SB winner. The D is aging and what "stars" we had are past their sell by date. The OL doesnt exist. The QB is mediocre and paid like Brady, its all gotta go and someone with modern proven football skills needs to come in at GM and head coach. Flush the damn toilet.....

The worst thing is that the rest of the division sucks other then GB, and GB was close to imploding due to issues with their QB. These current years were a window for MN to take over the division and Spielman crapped his pants for a decade....
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

makila wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:37 am
Texas Vike wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:52 am

Zimmer is the opposite of a "the buck stops with me" leader. Which is ironic as he likes to fashion himself as a no-nonense do your job guy. Yet takes ZERO personal responsibility for anything. So fing sick of his bull.
Zimmer did admit he "screwed up" with the double timeout thing. That one was gonna be tough to punt to someone else though.